Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Twitter discussion

Default Re: Twitter discussion

I gues they used primarely the bow? I also gues its an eastern unit? Which would make it probably more likely to prefer the spear. (like other archer spearmen)

Distille pas que du doute... Member Martelus Flavius's Avatar

Sound reasoning, except on one thing : it doesn't take into account the coriolis-effect.

So due to this effect, knowing that a spear is long (We can even consider the extreme case of over long spear), there is a greater chance of target missing. Especially when our brave warrior fights at latitudes he is not accustomed to! (I mean if a southerner fights in scandinavia he have greater chance to miss its target than the skandinavian! Et réciproquement!)

For all this I would either go for the sword.

Sincerly yours

Martel

Cohors Reformata Mini Mod for EB 1.1

Well if it´s a infantry unit then it´s a bit more tricky, i think it depends mainly of what role will they have, like:
    -spear and bow -> i eat light/medium cav for breakfast
    -sword and bow -> i am a brave archer unit

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Skinning work on a roman unit which may well be the last before... the next one! - Titvs Flavivs Martelvs

"When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

On political and social tribal structures - Moros

I assume work is going on on something with a new tribal faction. The complexity of the previous steppe-factions system apparently goes on to include a new system for a new steppe-faction.
    Then the "Occultus" faction wouldnt be India...
    Last edited by Christianus; 07-19-2009 at 08:02.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

New tribal system could also improve Celtic and Germanic factions.

my balloons

I guess you are right.
    The EB twitter http://twitter.com/EBTeam give good insight for news on Europa barbarorum I must say. Hope they will say something that can relate to the Gaza campaign soon. I feel it approatching
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Me as well!

On the Tribal system, they should make it like the city state system to show that loyalty wasn't always that high. Like the city states grouping together to fight Persia but afterwards just continue to fight themselves.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Elite archer/infantry unit huh? From the east? Sounds like it could be a Bosphoran Kingdom unit to me. Something Scythian in origin or influence I would assume.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Finished greek settlements for the map, some look pretty huge though... What to do next roman or barbaric ones?

The stratmap or the battle map?

Strat...

Or wait that shouldn't be said?!
    Last edited by Tux; 07-20-2009 at 14:50.

If it were the settlements on the battle map, they would probably a bit more excited. That would be the single biggest breakthrough in MedII modding.

I would suggest starting with the Roman ones...
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Well it's not a priority now(units are) since we can use stuff from RTW as temporary placeholder but for the strat map RTW didn't had anything special and neither EB1, I mean for the settlements.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Finished greek settlements for the map, some look pretty huge though... What to do next roman or barbaric ones?

I see no difference, I'd rather the team get on with the Persikoi or Keltoi.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

This is done by culture and not by faction so those will be represented by a culture group.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

then shudn't there be a keltic culture, native iberian culture, proto-germanic...etc etc? instead of the general 'barbaroi' moshpit?

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Yeah I know, thanks to CA I had to use that term.... We cannot create new cultures so we have 7 like in EB1 thus all those you mentioned there are the 'barbaroi' culture.
    Last edited by Tux; 07-20-2009 at 17:44.

We wanted more cultures desperately.

Out of any possible modding changes for M2TW, when modders were asked about it, it was the one thing that I requested:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=82638
    Increase Number of Possible Culture Groups (from 7 to maybe 10 or more)

Since it seems like the number of possible cultures is still seven (same as RTW), is there a way to beg for a couple more at least to be added?

For modders, this really would open up big doors. More difference can be created between the ones that are there, for example if the map is expanded a little more to include some other areas, or if the mod is set in RTW-period. Here is how it would greatly help a mod like EB:

We already use all seven cultures, and we **really** get our money's worth from it. Different GUI's for all seven, different town plans, different building types, different sets of family portraits, different types of building graphics that can be used (each culture has its own set). These are extremely important for us - I can't emphasize it enough. They have allowed us to make an eastern greek set that has palms and a mix of eastern and greek portraits and buildings and its own music also, as well as a very innovative nomadic set that is quite different from playing as all other factions in RTW.

If we have an increase in the number of possible factions, we definitely would like to think about options like a Bosphoran kingdom (and nearby rebel sub factions of the same culture) where you have a mix of greek and nomadic elements resulting in their own culture. We would like to think about making our own Indian culture type as well. And a split of the generic barbarian culture type into one of celts vs. germanic/getic. Different music, portraits, GUI's, buildings, and town sets. We would desperately want at least 3 more culture possibilities. We make all of this ourselves though - we just want the door opened for three more. This is very important to us. Something like an 8 or 9 maybe out of 10. It's not do-or-die for us, but it will really make our work a lot more restricted and we might have to throw out a lot of ideas we have.

That's just how it would affect us. I'm sure other modders can use it too, it's just that we seem to push the limits of what is available. Thanks for any consideration of this.
    It was passed on to CA and they didn't do jack crap about it. It was the one thing that in my personal opinion would have made modding much more open and varied for us, which is why I didn't give a long list of things, but focused on just one. But who gives a crap about something so simple as changing a single digit in a file somewhere that would have given more culture possibilities. GRRRRRR. Probably the grudge I hold against them the most.

edit: And oh yeah - don't bother with commenting in that thread I linked to above: of course, it's locked.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 07-22-2009 at 00:33.

To add on to what Teleklos said, it's been incredibly frustrating. We've spent so much time patting CA's back for making these games, but that can only go on for so long. Even the flooding bug that was present in RTW is still in M2TW, which means what I was hoping to implement has to be represented another way. That's just an indication of laziness on the part of the programmers since doing something as simple as just setting up Bugzilla could have caught such an error.

And then for them to ask us, as modders, what we want in the game only then to completely ignore it? Modding is one of the reason that the TW games are as successful as they are and why they continue to be played long after their release; why someone looking at two strategy games in the store will pick a TW game over another one.

Granted, few games are as moddable as the TW series have been. DooM is one of them, but that was really after iD released the sourcecode. I'm not saying that CA should do that. What I am saying is that CA should live up to its claims as well as be more diligent in fixing bugs. Furthermore, I don't see any reason why M2TW should not still be supported with patches.

Since when does CA ever listens to fans...

"Celtic now factions have an unique ship icon for the strat with crew, sail, ropes, rows and animal heads in front and back of the hull. -Tux"

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Since when does CA ever listens to fans...

"Celtic now factions have an unique ship icon for the strat with crew, sail, ropes, rows and animal heads in front and back of the hull. -Tux"
    I know, booring...

Well the problem isn't it that they don't listen the problem is that they've come up with the idea to "listen" to fans/modders requests and do scrap about them.
    Last edited by Tux; 07-22-2009 at 12:15.

Sounds nice!

CA/Sega can be a real pain sometimes but I guess we should be thankful for them making the games although nowdays I only buy Total war for the mods as the vannila games have become unplayable for me (thank you EB), its the main reason I havent bought ETW yet.

Yeah MTW was the last total war game where vanilla was fun, and the last one ever to come I guess.

Completely agree, the AI was also chalenging compared to the sequels. Too bad since they had great potential...

We found evidence for a new Pontic heavy cavalry unit. - Krusader
    This very sounds promising, heres hoping it ends up being included!

Just put together a 3000 word history of EB and made some new sig banners for members and former members. - Teleklos
    Are we going to read that history soon?
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Maybe - not sure yet.

The easiest way to make sure whether we're going to read it is by throwing it on the forum. Any other action would only lead to speculation and even more doubts, which might be confusing.

(... please ... )

from plutoboyz

I'm writing it out for EB members now. It would take some serious editing to make it public. It might happen, and probably would I would say, but not in the near future. Got to finish it first, then take some bits out before posting it here.

Yeah: going public with those reminiscences would seem kind of a pointless exercise when like 99% of the links and names of lore are invisible/meaningless to the outsiders anyways. I mean, I am a year 4 member and even to me more than half the names are people I never saw -- not even as forum avatars.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast