Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Twitter discussion

Default Re: Twitter discussion

On a slight tangent, I'm somewhat curious as to how exactly the hoplites held their spear. When holding a spear overhand, which way would they grip it, with their thumbs pointing forward, or back? It seems like one could do it either way, but it makes a big difference in the range of motion they would have.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

A grip with the thumb facing forwards sounds like an underhand grip. It's very awkward to hold it overhand with the thumb facing forwards. Just try it, form the grip at your desk, and it already seems quite unnatural.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I think I get where you're coming from. Alright, I'll try to demonstrate my point using EB unitcards

This is a standard hoplite as portrayed in EB. It uses the spear an overhand, with the thumb facing backwards.

This hoplite, while it doesn't look like this in game, has, I think, a grip like you describe. Kind of a raised underhand grip. I guess it does look a little awkward.

But what if, rather than simply reversing the underhand grip, like in the first picture, or raising the underhand grip like the second, you inverted it? Having your thumb go around the bottom of the spear, forward, but away from you? If you did that, it feels like you could wield a spear overhand fairly effectively.
    Last edited by Epimetheus; 10-14-2009 at 10:05.

Well I figure its in the same way you hold a javelin(the tight grip) or stick overhand.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Hmm, I've never really noticed that. Since that is just the picture on the unit card (Baktrian Agema hold it overhand), maybe it's just a model that looks cool?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

you can hold it overhand just go and pick up a long spear like stick/pole .. it feels like you can get more accuracy and a longer range , but less power .. though this is without any practice.

the only major thing i noticed in regards to the "feel" , was that the overhand grip adds more load on forearm , and the rear + lateral deltoid muscles.
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 10-16-2009 at 01:47.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    you can hold it overhand just go and pick up a long spear like stick/pole .. it feels like you can get more accuracy and a longer range , but less power .. though this is without any practice.

the only major thing i noticed in regards to the "feel" , was that the overhand grip adds more load on forearm , and the rear + lateral deltoid muscles.
    Overhand and underhand were tested and overhand was more powerfull and quicker. Not sure where it was tested but the results sounds logical if you look at the angle.

Yeah I remember one of the team (foot maybe) found some info involving the forces produced by overhand and underhand spear thrusts which came to that conclusion.

edit it was abou, Stats on overhand spear vs underhand spear.. Shows that the overhand attack was faster and more powerful than the underhand.
    Last edited by bobbin; 10-16-2009 at 12:03.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

The overhand motion is more powerful and quick in close quarters in formation.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

twitter news: Twitter Exclusive! Introduction to new game-play features in EBII in preparation for the next preview. http://tiny.cc/ebiipa - Foot

i smell a new preview

YAY! so exciting, glad you posted this up.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

oh yeah!

Amazing! Can't wait to see more.
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Yeah I remember one of the team (foot maybe) found some info involving the forces produced by overhand and underhand spear thrusts which came to that conclusion.

edit it was abou, Stats on overhand spear vs underhand spear.. Shows that the overhand attack was faster and more powerful than the underhand.
    i was talking holding the spear with an overhand grip (but the thumb facing forward)

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

Temples, game fields, and other such buildings that represent individual structures will no longer add public order bonuses
    Wait so "bread and circus" doesn't work?
    Last edited by Parallel Pain; 10-19-2009 at 08:21.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SFS2006 View Post
    twitter news: Twitter Exclusive! Introduction to new game-play features in EBII in preparation for the next preview. http://tiny.cc/ebiipa - Foot

i smell a new preview
    You post a twitter exclusive in the fora
    You missed the point of an excusive.
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 10-19-2009 at 13:44.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Parallel Pain View Post
    Wait so "bread and circus" doesn't work?
    Seems so... Interesting.
    I has two balloons!

When you are dealing with the public order of entire provinces, building a bakery and fairground in your capital is not going to really make a difference throughout the entire province. Buildings that represent province-wide infrastructure will be able to effect Public Order, buildings that represent civic structures will have different effects. Bread and Circus will still work, but the results will not be as you saw in EBI.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

makes more sence indeed since celts germans and other barbarians lived in small villages and scatered farms and where mostly rural populations

but for instance conquering a greek city would normally mean securing the region so we get more acuracy on the mostly rural areas and less historical acuracy in the urban society areas ???

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    makes more sence indeed since celts germans and other barbarians lived in small villages and scatered farms and where mostly rural populations

but for instance conquering a greek city would normally mean securing the region so we get more acuracy on the mostly rural areas and less historical acuracy in the urban society areas ???
    Directly after conquest centralised control is quite quickly lost (just think of the months following Afghanistan and Iraq, whose administration structures were far more centralised than those of Ancient Greece). You will therefore need to build that up over the next year or so (depending on your build order), but it is certainly possible (as mentioned in the document) for an entire province to come under the direct governance of the capital city of a province.

This system covers all scenarios (probably), and there is no loss in historical accuracy, as this is far more accurate than any system than has appeared before. It certainly isn't perfect for everyone, everytime, but it a huge improvement.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

This sounds awesome! You guys are truly amazing.
    Last edited by machinor; 10-20-2009 at 00:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    When you are dealing with the public order of entire provinces, building a bakery and fairground in your capital is not going to really make a difference throughout the entire province. Buildings that represent province-wide infrastructure will be able to effect Public Order, buildings that represent civic structures will have different effects. Bread and Circus will still work, but the results will not be as you saw in EBI.

Foot

Oh yeah does that mean roads increase public order? Since you know roads better communication and better communication = better information flow = better control
    Last edited by Parallel Pain; 10-20-2009 at 01:51.

I like this update.

Very juicy option this one. I can imagine faction-typical approaches, with Carthage sprining to mind (trade and tribute on their province's centres, military alliance with the periphery giving access to juicy local elite troops) as opposed to the crushing taxation usually preffered by Romans and Hellenes, relying on colonae/klerouchies as manpower sources.

Romans of course would mix it up, granting a degree of freedom to some conquered cities (eg Athens) but still taxing the arse off the province, and even absolving some tribal allies from taxation, only requiring soldiers for the Auxillia (Tacitus mentions somen German tribe like that, was it the Frisii?). I imagine the Hellenes did likewise?

This feature along with the colonae is going to give some real depth to province control.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 10-22-2009 at 06:42.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Stay tunned for possible announcements on the EB fora... - about 14 hours ago from web

Can't wait!

+ =

3x for this, this, and this

I smell a preview...
    Non omnis moriar

I'm waiting !!!! When the news will be publied, I'll immediatly translate it into french and post it on the UTW'forum for EB II.

Is it just me or the next faction preview will be about one of the steppe nomadic factions?

"Nobleman horse archer for steppe faction was skinned, along with the horned-saddle horse. You'll faint! Another Gustave's great skin. - JMRC

Model of nobleman horse archer for steppe faction is finished. Preparing for skinning work. - JMRC

Another steppe horse archer is finished, along with the steppe pony skins. S kins by Gustave. - JMRC

Just integrated the 3rd steppe horse archer unit, from one of the most powerful sarmatian confederacies. Great skins by Gustave. - JMRC

2 more steppe archers (horse and foot variants) were finished, with model by Tux and skins by Gustave. - JMRC

A steppe horse archer with the bowman anims and overhand spear anims on horseback is assembled. - JMRC"

Let's hope so.

I think the next preview is about buildings though, as hinted at in the 'twitter exclusive'.
    Non omnis moriar

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

*hint*

Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast