Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2478

Thread: Twitter discussion

Default Re: Twitter discussion

furthermore the individuals who originally create rome total war have many times given praise to the modding comunity and have in a few instances branded eb as awesome and awe inspiring

the company as a whole however is a diferent matter since the praises and laurels given have always been by the individuals in interviews

the people who created rtw are gamers sort off as we are and can easily recognise effort and good work but companies is a litle bit trickier since they can stand to loss if they akwoledge inspiration from others

Awesome!!

Out of Africa: Ethiopian archers finished, spearmen to be completed soon - JMRC
    Peltastai Logades Kretikoi Toxotai and Kretikoi Peltastai all finished - Haithabas
    Skanelendo province description completed - cmacq
    Back from holiday, time to hammer out a few more British province descriptions - Brennus
    The team is pleased to announce a new member, fightermedic, who will assist with finalising the EBII map.
    New Sabaen temple descriptions prepared - Moros
    Just finished the Ethiopian spearmen and archers. They fill the Axum area and provide african troops to Ptolemaioi and Saba. ~JMRC
    Finished the last Saka unit for 1st release. Small sneak peek - nazgool pic.twitter.com/6QFxu21KUa
    Have been writing for 4 and a half hours and nearly finished the Albion province description. Come on man, you can do this! - Brennus
    Composing answers to my interview - Haithabas
    Working on artwork for our Celtic campaign events. Almost all of them finished - Skyn0s
    Started working on the nomadic camp battlemap buildings. We'll have horses grazing around the yurts. ~JMRC
    One last British province description to write. So far that's 21,248 words written. - Brennus
    For them people without twitter.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Yay! Gogogo EB team!

Member thankful for this post:

Skyn0s 

where is the skenelendo province ? and why so many new regionals ? and why so much enphasis on krete is krete finally going to be portraited properly with the constant civil war and 5(?) factions fighting for the control of the island ?

today your out of luck it´s back to my 5 years of age stage the why age!

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    where is the skenelendo province?
    Looking at the map, posted by VT Marvin, Skanelendo is southern Norway and Sweden...

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    and why so many new regionals ? and why so much enphasis on krete is krete finally going to be portraited properly with the constant civil war and 5(?) factions fighting for the control of the island ?
    I don't think it calls for such depth, but Kretikoi were definitely employed almost in every single conflict during the Hellenistic Period...
    And as the last interview has shown, they did not fight solely with bows, so I'm glad they received that well deserved attention :)

On other news:

Arevaci farm descriptions completed. - Brennus
    Ethiopian Spearman vs. Machimoi - nazgool
    Render no.1 pic.twitter.com/Go7W3xdbcc
    Render no.2 pic.twitter.com/UIZ8pNaIlx
    Render no.3
    https://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5409/2kopiai.png …
    New interview, this time with 2D artist Haithabas, posted on our fan forum. Check it out at https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?143931-An-interview-with-10 …
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-01-2013 at 16:18.

Love the Ethiopian unit! Really makes me sad that there won't be an Ethiopian faction of some kind.

Exclamation Re: Twitter discussion

So Gaesatae have spears instead of swords now? Why? Is this a balance measure? Spear is a weapon which requires discipline and close formation in order to be employed effectively, i.e. in a shieldwall. One would think that naked fanatics using chemicals which allow them to ignore pain would love to chop things off and show their battle prowess that way ;).

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep View Post
    Spear is a weapon which requires discipline and close formation in order to be employed effectively, i.e. in a shieldwall.
    Pikes require a close formation, but a short spear is a perfectly good duelling weapon. It's like a short sword with a greater reach. Yes, it can be batted aside, but against a good spearman that will be a lot more difficult than you think.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Oh man the rampant stereotypes XD

The Gaisatoi were highly professional bands and no fanatics. It's possible they underwent an initiation, with specific substances and a ceremony. That however had nothing to do with tactics and warfare per se, it was their specific ethnic/social trait. It belonged to the sphere of comradery, warrior bonds and class distinction. Also fighting naked was a chioce, either tactical (climate, geography or psychology) or made by the individual to show his defiance towards peril. And this wasn't restricted to the Gaisatoi, but was very much valid for any warrior. For it stated that he could rely solely on his prowess, despite having the means to finance defensive armour.
    As for their equipment they could afford any sort of it, their chiefs are recorded as possessing chainmail too. Their name clearly speaks for the use of spears (Gaisatoi = Those who bear the Gaesum). Obviously they had swords, these were the symbol of the warrior class, but even taking their gods into account, the spear in keltic society was the main tool for war.
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-02-2013 at 13:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Pikes require a close formation, but a short spear is a perfectly good duelling weapon. It's like a short sword with a greater reach. Yes, it can be batted aside, but against a good spearman that will be a lot more difficult than you think.
    I'm not implying that a spearman is useless by any means and skill is probably more important than anything else, BUT I think that in battle conditions a shieldwall would still be much more effective than individual spearmen fighting "duels". In EB1, the vast majority of cheap, non-Hellenic low-tier infantry units have spears, while mercenaries and nobles usually have swords, which doesn't surprise me at all. It seems like a waste to arm the Gaesatae with short spears and in EB1, they had longswords, hence my questions.

The Gaisatoi were highly professional bands and no fanatics
    A description from the EB's website:
    Historically, the Gaesatae were Gallic naked religious fanatics. Their skill was a source of terror, and their frightful appearance shook many. Most horrifying, even beyond their size and skill and terrifying cries, was their seeming invincibility. A chemical they used allowed them to brush off and ignore any pain. They were remarked to do things such as rip javelins that had struck them free from their bodies, and hurl them back, and continue to fight with gashes and wounds that would have surely fell a normal man. They were Hannibal's favored Gallic mercenaries, and were used as his personal guards, as they were so devoted and trustworthy, as well as brave and skilled.
    Are you implying that this description is nonsensical?

Their name clearly speaks for the use of spears (Gaisatoi = Those who bear the Gaesum).
    I thought that it was because of the javelins which they used. EB's website:
    The Gaesatae (Guy-sah-tay; "Spearmen") are easily one of the most fearsome groups of warriors in the known world. They fight stripped bare but for neck torcs and sometimes their shoes or boots. They fight with longswords, but are named for their incredible skill with javelins; they can hurl them unnaturally long distances and deal great damage with them. Their charge is most ferocious though, causing many lines to simply fold and flee. This is not all solely due to skill and strength, though they are experienced and huge, muscular men. They imbibe a chemical before battle making them seemingly impervious to pain. They will fight to the very end, and are very destructive when employed properly.
    Last edited by Cybvep; 06-02-2013 at 13:30.

Yup, that is very much outdated for the Gaisatoi...

There probably were men, who dedicated themselves to some divinity and followed a religious code of conduct, but they were completely different (something related to the lore of man-demons, falling into god-inspired trance). The Gaisatoi were professional bands for hire, with their own hierarchy...

Javelin is a bit misleading, because the Gaesum was very heavy, but yes they did throw them. Still the best description would be throwing spear, such designed to cause great damage to both equipment and foe. Although the idea that all of them would have high quality longswords is overblown, it would've been the prerogative of their respective higher classes. Still these would use primarly an heavy short spear too...
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-02-2013 at 13:57.

I am sure the eastern heavy cavalry and the BG will be soooooo great!!

Updates the last week:
    Ok, that's all the Province Descriptions for the British Isles completed. 24,000 words in total. - Brennus
    Building up my own personal library and collecting publications along the way to help speed up writing EBII descriptions - Brennus
    Working on building icons, sketches for Greek and Roman cultures nearly finished - Elhior
    Only a few more units left to complete. Currently working on Parthian Horse Archers - nazgool
    Skinning Illyrian peltasts and cavalry - Haithabas
    Rome II's map looks very impressive. Time to give our map a few texture tweeks. - fightermedic
    Finalising saddle textures for horses, next up ponies. -j0ker
    We now have Nomad settlements! - JMRC
    Anatolian heavy cavalry and Pontos/Hayasadan body guard cavalry completed - Haedar
    All 2D artwork for the Celtic campaign events completed - Skyn0s

I have a feeling we are going to see an eastern preview soon.
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

Illyrian Pelstasts, Anatolian Heavy Cavalry, Pontos/Hayasdan bodyguards integrated into the mod - JMRC
    New buildings added to the Celtic oppida - Red Devil
    Updating the Aedui and Arverni farm descriptions so they are faction specific... so many pigs - Brennus
    Finalising the script. Currently have 1,000,000 lines of code. - fightermedic
    Finishing work on steppe cavalry. - j0ker
    Thats good news about the script!

This is going fast ^^

Yeah, good to see some solid progress!

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Famine0 View Post
    Thats good news about the script!
    Hell Yes! I'm quite curious about the content, since I love EB way of making things more complex... Probably is going to make turn passing a lot painfull on my old laptot though, but surelly worths it!

Do you use the touchpad while playing MTW2? That would be a rather... interesting experience :P.

More news today:

The new steppe ponies have brought the Przewalski horse back to life in the steppes. A few more details and pics will be in the way. ~JMRC

Member Member Eastern Foot-Rocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ailfertes View Post
    The new steppe ponies have brought the Przewalski horse back to life in the steppes. A few more details and pics will be in the way. ~JMRC
    With all the love in detail, that is put into EB2, and all this historical accuracy, this mod is far outstanding. Who the hell needs Rome 2 then? Praise you, EB Team!
    @JMRC: I can see your halo :D

I've just read the interview with Brennos. One thing made me wonder - the armour-piercing spears. Considering that Gaesatae will have spears instead of swords now, do you plan to give them this type of spears?

News:

Aedui farm descriptions completed - Brennus
    Texturing the Parthian horse archers - nazgool

And some more:

Working on Arevaci markets - Brennus
    Illyrian cavalry finished. - Haithabas

mmmhh, one of my favorite units :)
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    mmmhh, one of my favorite units :)
    Sneak Peak

Illyrian Hippeis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illyrian_Hippeis.PNG 
Views:	1505 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	10090

More will follow in the coming days.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Looks very different from the EB1 one, will there be 2 tiers of illyrian cavalry or is it just a more accurate depiction?

Moros 

Quote Originally Posted by cahtush View Post
    Looks very different from the EB1 one, will there be 2 tiers of illyrian cavalry or is it just a more accurate depiction?
    Yes, all Illyrians Units are new conceived by Paullus. Please note this is only one of many possible compilations (the most fancy), the others will look more like this:

Illyrian Peltastai

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illyrian_peltastai_final.PNG 
Views:	1548 
Size:	863.3 KB 
ID:	10091

And no at this moment we have only one tier of the illyrian cavalry.
    Last edited by Haithabas; 06-29-2013 at 14:02.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast