Page 69 of 83 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2478

Thread: Twitter discussion

Default Re: Twitter discussion

great updates!

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

This Brennus guy, keeping up the good work but not sending me a promised article on iron age slavery...
    Sorry Ailfertes I completely forgot about this.I don't have a copy of the article at the moment, but I should have access to my university's library resources in the next few weeks so I will attempt to find a copy for you.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Sorry Ailfertes I completely forgot about this.I don't have a copy of the article at the moment, but I should have access to my university's library resources in the next few weeks so I will attempt to find a copy for you.
    No problem, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ailfertes View Post
    Split up into different satrapies I guess. I think it does make some elements of a Seleucid campaign more interesting and makes sure there are potentially many civil wars in store for them except from the (flawed) civil war mechanic itself. But making satrapies different factions doesn't really make that much sense.
    Yes, the other Provinces are split up into Satrapies (client states), which is fine, I guess, since most of them were quite autonomous.
    Seleucid is not a playable faction, though. At least not right now. Maybe it will be unlocked in another 5$-DLC... man I'm so happy I didn't buy Rome2.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Yes, the other Provinces are split up into Satrapies (client states), which is fine, I guess, since most of them were quite autonomous.
    Seleucid is not a playable faction, though. At least not right now. Maybe it will be unlocked in another 5$-DLC... man I'm so happy I didn't buy Rome2.
    It's going to be released as free DLC. The issue is that the autonomy of these satrapies were not absolute. What's more, the Seleucid starting position is more in tune with the Seleukid state at the end of the 2nd century. Many of the major Seleukid centers of power at game start were Ekbatana, Sardis, the cities of Syria, and their capital Seleukeia-Tigris.

What am I supposed to think when their freaking capital isn't even included in their starting position?

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

Dynasty Administrations Script for the Hellenic factions is finally working - Haithabas
    Did you manage to finish the KH Sympoliteia system that me and Foot were working on? The idea was awesome, but our implementation was proving out to be completely unintuitive from the player point-of-view.

You could always come back and help.

Quote Originally Posted by BozosLiveHere View Post
    Did you manage to finish the KH Sympoliteia system that me and Foot were working on? The idea was awesome, but our implementation was proving out to be completely unintuitive from the player point-of-view.
    No exactly the in the same way, but we try our best and the first part is already done! Want to see it?

And BTW the Dynasty Admin is a part of the Successor system.

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    You could always come back and help.
    For that I would need two things:
    a) A copy of M2TW (I lost my discs)
    b) Time

The first one is easily fixable, but the realities of a job and family make the second one complicated. But I'll see if I can budget some time to help in the push for the release. I'll keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Haithabas
    No exactly the in the same way, but we try our best and the first part is already done! Want to see it?

And BTW the Dynasty Admin is a part of the Successor system.
    I do! . The whole R2TW hype wasn't enough to make me buy the new game, but got me thinking a lot about EB and especially that KH system, that I feel like an unfinished job. I even got myself thinking on alternative implementations, like using a combination of missions/guilds, but I'd love to see your solution to it.

You still have access to EBH? If not please join us again and sent a pm to Moros or Tellos. You will find all the information in Koinon Hellenon Groups (Factions)

And welcome back:-)

A BIG thank you to sirtim for his great work on the Lusitanian province descriptions - Brennus
    Dynasty Administrations Script for the Hellenic factions is finally working - Haithabas
    Already discussed above. I'm very excited about this, sounds like it will bring even more depth to the game.

New shield patterns produced for the late Aswinia unit - nazgool
    If you want to see these, I think that's the unit on the 'almost there'-post.

Working on the Pontos governments - Haithabas
    Interesting. I'm expecting a lot of attention for proxy-government by family, but could be wrong.

Small announcement coming soon. Links to follow.
    Oh you.

Keep your pants on, guys. We'll let you know when we're interested in testers.
    That first sentence... very ambiguous.
    Last edited by Ailfertes; 10-08-2013 at 08:23.

No it's not. It's because I put up the announcement, no one read it, and then I got a bunch of PMs asking if people could be testers.

I was referring to the imagery of the idiom.

You haven't seen the PMs.

Member thankful for this post:

LOL. Well, in a way it's good that so many people are still so 'excited' for the mod after all these years.
    Last edited by Ailfertes; 10-08-2013 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Haithabas View Post
    You still have access to EBH? If not please join us again and sent a pm to Moros or Tellos. You will find all the information in Koinon Hellenon Groups (Factions)

And welcome back:-)
    Not anymore. And I would feel bad if I got my access back but ended up not having enough time to deliver some work.

If you want we could discuss the system over PM or something.

Working on the Insubrabrog province description - Brennus
    Texturing Celtiberian ponies for Brennus and Ḫamīsum (Sabean professionals) for Moros - j0ker
    Late period Aswiniai cavalry for the Lugiones complete - nazgool
    A big thank you to sirtim for yet another great Iberian province description, this time Celtiberia - Brennus
    Seems like the province descriptions the team is doing are coming along (I wish I had more time for those on the forums).

With the release of EB2 still some time away, one of the things I'd like to see from the fans are some long plays on YouTube to watch. -abou
    You heard the man...

Concepting Etruscan Hoplites - paullus
    Interesting! Are the Etruscan troops be very similar to the Romans?

Populace building descriptions for Britons, Goidels, Callaecians, Gauls and Belgae finished. - Brennus
    Up the Belgae!

Working on clubmen for the Lugiones - nazgool

Member thankful for this post:

Working on the government dynamics for the Kingdom of Massylia - Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Not sure if this is the government system for provinces or something else involving the ethnicities, but this is amazing. I know nothing of Massylian government, hope to learn more. Their being nomads should make things interesting in that area...

Late Aswiniai cavalry sneak peek - nazgool pic.twitter.com/hq9aRZ4QGf
    Populace building descriptions for the Ligurians, Celtiberians and Volcae complete - Brennus
    I'm really looking forward to these populace buildings. Perhaps this will still be a bit limited in the first release, but it has much potential to be an enormous source of information.

Ḫamīsum (Khamis) aka Sabean Professionals finished - j0ker
    Pics. Now.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Somnorum View Post
    Pics. Now.

Please?
    From this too ;)
    Applying armour to the Elephantes Kataphraktoi Indikoi - j0ker

Conepting Gaisokorios Iuernon (Goidelic regulars) - Brennus
    Regulars? Is Brennus implying a standing, professional army?

Just a placeholder name.

What are they exactly?

In this case they are swordsmen (we will need to change the name as gais denotes spears). We have a lack of information for the Irish Iron Age compared with Britain and parts of continental Europe, therefore reconstructing the social situation within Ireland is very difficult. It is very hard to say what sort of social systems were used by the Iron Age Irish (hierachy, eglalitarian society etc). A recent study has found that there is a marked difference in the distribution of certain types of objects and different types of objects tend to be deposited in different locations. For example swords tend to be found in north and east Ulster and southern Leinster, but there are a lack of spears in this region. Likewise weapons tend to be deposited mainly in rivers. It may be then that rather than denoting separate classes of warrior, these weapons denoted social identities; the weapon you carried indicated the social group you belonged to rather than being a gradation of warrior.

Would the weapon-identity system apply to all sectors of society? Did all Iron Age Irish carry weapons or just a warrior elite?

Very tricky questions to answer. The problem is that there just isn't enough archaeological evidence to reconstruct Iron Age Irish society. Personally, based on the data from the Wessex region of Britain which has been much studied, I would not be surprised if the majority of Irish society carried weapons. Iron had a process of democratising warfare; once you knew how to extract Iron it was fairly straightforward to work it, the same skills which produce a ploughshare or a scythe can easily produce a spear. In some contemporary societies, such as the Callaecians and Celtiberians the right to carry a weapon was restricted to certain sections of society, but in those societies we have good evidence for social stratification. Saying that carrying weapons should not automatically be equated with being a warrior; several Iron Age graves from central Europe have been found equipped with a full warrior panoply (spear, sword and shield) but the individuals interred within were children or adolescents.

Iron Age Ireland a great paradox, on the one hand we have beautiful and brilliant metalwork (see the Broighter hoard for a great example) and large, communal centers such as Emain Macha, Tara and Dun Aileane as well as objects which we would equate with warrior elites elsewhere in Iron Age Europe, such as weaponry and horse gear, but we have almost no evidence for settlements, very few every day objects and no ceramics. Furthermore the pollen record shows that until the late Iron Age there was a regrowth in tree coverage, strongly indicating that agriculture (and population) were in decline. Also, although they exist, the number of weapons recovered from the whole of Ireland is less than 100, by contrast the site of La Tene in Switzerland (which is one part of a lake) yielded thousands of swords and spears, or Gournay-sur-Aronde (a site smaller of comparable size to the average middle class Western European house) in Belgica was found to have several hundred swords and spears.

In theory there is no reason to suggest that most individuals in Iron Age Ireland did not carry weapons. In practice, however, the archaeological record does not support this as there is a lack of weaponry for the Irish Iron Age (as noted above carrying weapons does not automatically mean individuals were capable of taking part in battles) and we cannot, at the present time, be sure how Irish society operated.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Saying that carrying weapons should not automatically be equated with being a warrior; several Iron Age graves from central Europe have been found equipped with a full warrior panoply (spear, sword and shield) but the individuals interred within were children or adolescents.
    It's possible they were born to a warrior class, if such existed locally. It's also likely that weapons were ceremonial instead of utilitarian, but that's just speculation.

Entirely feasible considering the role of caste systems on gentilate warrior groups in Indo-European society. Although personally I am inclined to see weapons as primarily ulitarian and only secondarily ceremonial. However, even the experts on the Irish Iron Age (I'm talking about you Barry Raftery!) would likely avoid making firm assertions on the subject of how society in Iron Age Ireland worked (if it even did).

Populace building description for the Raeti complete. All "Celtic Group" populace building descriptions are now finished. - Brennus
    Looking through the old threads in the EB development forum and have stumbled across a hoard of script we can use for Getai - Haithabas
    Progress is being made!

Working on Etruscan Hoplites - nazgool
    Concepting Toous Belouakon, our new Bellovaci heavy infantry - Brennus
    Apparently a lot of units still have to be done. Will these be included in the first 'alpha' release or delayed until a next one?

Finishing off the Industry Complex descriptions for the Boii. - Brennus
    Working on Punic and Numidian descriptions - Gaius Scribonius Curio
    A big thank you for sirtim's work on the Turdulia province description - Brennus
    Hammering out details for the website. Also glad to bring in new members and see old hands return. We're getting there! - abou
    This is really promising. Talk about the EB2 website has been along so long, I'm really interested in seeing it.

Remember how the old Celtic governments went 1,2,3 or 4? In EBII they can go 1,3,4 or 1,6,7,8 or 1,4,5,6,7,8 or 1,2. - Haithabas and Brennus
    So 4 different development paths for Celtic governments?

Industry Complex descriptions for the Boii finished. Only Arevaci left for this group - Brennus
    A big thank you to Florianus for his recent, wonderful, concept art of Roman and Etruscan units.
    Finish new chariot models and animations. ~Tux

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Somnorum View Post
    Pics. Now.

Please?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0045_zps256b3644.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	11210