Thread: Roundshot? EFFECTIVE??? NO!

Default Roundshot? EFFECTIVE??? NO!

Ever since I first got the game, I threw artillery in the back of my armies, and disbanded all artillery until I had unlocked canister shot or better. Now on my British campaign, I have been trying to take a few Cherokee towns. I noticed a bug but it was minor, just a typo of sorts

anyway I was fighting a defensive battle, outnumbered by the enemy who had many medicine men and lancers. I was surprised by the speed of the lancers at full sprint, but anyway I knew that my infantry could crush theirs.

Having one lone unit of artillery(whatever the starting kind is, it's not the sakers) up on a hill, I managed to completely obliterate 7-10 units of cavalry with just roundshot by the time that the infantry had caught up and was starting to attack. It seemed hit all the cavalry dead on or bounce along, and each shot took out at least a third. It was amazing!

I'll post screenshots once I find where fraps put them

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Default Re: Roundshot? EFFECTIVE??? NO!

Cannon and round shot were re-balanced by Lusted for v1.3. They've been more accurate for me too, although cannister is still fired only at the left of the attacking unit.
    Last edited by al Roumi; 06-30-2009 at 09:41.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

now if only they could get the cannons to aim up with canister shot, so i can fire canister without killing half my men.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    now if only they could get the cannons to aim up with canister shot, so i can fire canister without killing half my men.
    I don't think you're supposed to stand in front of a cannon firing canister shot.

The dispersion pattern is "conical," designed for use at short range. Also I've read about it being fired intentionally short of advancing infantry so the balls would skip and flatten for wider dispersion. I don't think CA is modeling it in that much detail, but you just don't put solders in front of a big shotgun.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Cannons are low on the ground. If you aimed up, the enemy would end up only getting a slightly painful drizzle. Artillery is meant to be in front of your men, or in a gap, or completely separate in their own battery.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    Cannon and round shot were re-balanced by Lusted for v1.3. They've been more accurate for me too, although cannister is still fired only at the left of the attacking unit.
    Manual aim your cannon at the center of the formation works (click on the ground).
    Last edited by Marquis of Roland; 06-30-2009 at 20:08.

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

That works, but seems to be needless micromanagement. I mean I know if I was running an artillery battery that I would aim for the middle of a group of infantry. If CA fixed it for roundshot, why not for cannister?
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

plus the fact that you would have to predict where exacly they would be when the cannons fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    plus the fact that you would have to predict where exacly they would be when the cannons fire.
    I just watch the artillerymen animation; when they stop using the ramrod, its time to start aiming.

Yes, its a lot of micro-managing. I also have to micro-manage light infantry (still bugged) and my cavalry. I don't usually get to enjoy the graphics except in replays.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post
    I just watch the artillerymen animation; when they stop using the ramrod, its time to start aiming.

Yes, its a lot of micro-managing. I also have to micro-manage light infantry (still bugged) and my cavalry. I don't usually get to enjoy the graphics except in replays.
    It's attention sapping enough trying to keep on top of 1 arty unit, with up to 4 cannon batteries in an army it really is a pain. Especially as you say when you have to completely micro light infantry (not falling back in time, not fcingt he right direction...).

Why does the artillery aim at the man on the extreme left flank anyway?

It must be a gliche or something, I can't beleive it was intentional. In previous titles missile fire was always aimed at the unit standard in the centre, just wondering why it would have been changed.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Why does the artillery aim at the man on the extreme left flank anyway?

It must be a gliche or something, I can't beleive it was intentional. In previous titles missile fire was always aimed at the unit standard in the centre, just wondering why it would have been changed.
    The only possible reason would be to enfilade the unit, but even with that objective you wouldn't aim at that bit of the unit unless they were facing away from the cannon. The mind boggles.

Enfilade fire would still work if fired at the centre of the unit, the only slight problem I could predict is if the range assessment didn't trigger the firing routine unless the centre of the unit was in range. But from what I've seen that isn't the case, the firing routine seems to be intelligent enough to recognise that a unit is in range as soon as any part of it crosses the threshold, so I'm at a loss as why its necessary.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

I've just started getting 12lbers in my campaign and the round shot is far more lethal and bouncy.

The shots go all over the shop. Round shot shoots straight into the middle of a until but grape shot is always on the left hand edge of the unit. It's ridiculous.

Still, round shot now has range and a little bit more effectiveness. It's a better balance.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 07-02-2009 at 14:02.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

In my Prussian campaign money has been tight and I'm still using Demi-Cannons a lot 30 years into the game. Roundshot has been very effective for me, especially against cavalry units. I've often times shattered the first few enemy cavalry units trying to flank me before they get close enough to catch a volley from my infantry. My last battle against Westphalia one of my Demi-Cannon batteries had 218 kills, and at least half of that total was with roundshot. Manually aiming with the grapeshot can be a pain *I aim at the ground instead of clicking on an enemy formation*, but it's better than watching most of it sail over their heads.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Is it just me or do demi-cannons/sakers fire faster than 12lb foot arty? Becasue they also have 4 guns instead of 3, i'm quite attached to mine. They are great if you are given the chance to dig in or are otherwise on the defensive.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I think it's just the extra field piece per battery one gets that makes it seem faster. I'm usually attacking with less men so I try to entice the enemy to come to me by attack/occupying a town/farm/industrial area especially when I only have fixed artillery. Some battle maps give you better terrain than others, and this Westphalia battleground was ideal even without the chance to construct fortifications. Nothing like high ground with a cliff on one side to place a battery with infantry in front and below out of the direct line of fire.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

oh aboslutely. i often find it quite difficult trying to set up my artillery in a position where it will be able to hit the enemy, but not my own guys.

ive also noticed westphalia has some nice cliffs and hills....