Thread: Helping your colonial protectorate, and yourself

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Helping your colonial protectorate, and yourself

So I'm a fair bit into my first Spanish campaign and was wondering why New Spain wasn't building much and since I was trading a few techs here and there, I figured maybe I share some knowledge with them, and 1000 or 2000 that I could spare each turn.

Turns out they immediately teched up to nearly my level soon after, saving me a lot of time and money compared to if I had not given them anything.

In fact, I was so happy they were building, I keep sieging/unsieging the Pueblos (last victory condition) to keep them weak while buying New Spain time to help me out and save me some serious cash. Even got an Imperial Palace at New Spain

Figured I share this tactic with you guys
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Default Re: Helping your colonial protectorate, and yourself

It's weird but the protectorate colonies do seem to have large enough resources for developing their infrastructure. Good strategy though! :D

Have you avoided having them declare war on you? That's what usually happens to me with New Spain...

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    Have you avoided having them declare war on you? That's what usually happens to me with New Spain...
    That's sort of what happened to me. As GB, the 13 Colonies and UP had a dust up. I clicked the wrong side, i.e. UP and now I don't have the 13 Colonies as a Protectorate.

The issue I have is that I'm playing a Prestige Campaign and I have not completed the mission. So now I'm not sure if I need to get the 13 Colonies back as a protectorate in order to complete the mission and get lots of Prestige.

Can any one help?

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    That's sort of what happened to me. As GB, the 13 Colonies and UP had a dust up. I clicked the wrong side, i.e. UP and now I don't have the 13 Colonies as a Protectorate.

The issue I have is that I'm playing a Prestige Campaign and I have not completed the mission. So now I'm not sure if I need to get the 13 Colonies back as a protectorate in order to complete the mission and get lots of Prestige.

Can any one help?
    I was at war with the 13 colonies when I fulfilled the mission. And they were suddenly mine. So you don't need them back as protectorate but simply to capture the required regions.
    Tosa Inu

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    I was at war with the 13 colonies when I fulfilled the mission. And they were suddenly mine. So you don't need them back as protectorate but simply to capture the required regions.
    Absolutely. I almost wonder (but doubt) if the DoW i usually get from the starting Protectorates by around 1710-1715 is because i'm coming close to completing the mission and they are making a last ditch attempt to remain independant or what.

In any case, as Mr Alphonse says, as long as you hold the territories required to complete the mission, you will absord the protectorate.

One thing I've noticed is that you gain what territories the protectorate has at the time, not it's starting possessions -i.e. if it loses any regions (as the 13 cols are want to do), you don't get them. What i haven't tested is whether you get any of the extra regions your protectorate might have captured... But then, i've seen lousiana, 13 cols or New Spain ever expand their territory.

You will get the extra regions. In one of my earlier games (back in 1.1 IIRC), France and GB (myself) were at war. Just before I finished the mission, the 13 colonies took the undefended Acadia, which joined me with the rest a couple turns later.

Also, in my first 1.2 campaign (as GB again), I handed captured territories such as the Iriquois ones, to the 13C (to reduce my admin penalty), and they also joined me again once the mission was complete. A couple were even converted to 100% protestantism...
    Last edited by anweRU; 06-30-2009 at 13:24.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Thanks fo the help and advise guy's.

In my campaign the 13 Colonies are being driven back by the Cherokee and the US which appeared after they lost a province to the Cherokee.

They have been reduced to 2 or 3 provinces at the moment. I certainly am not expecting anything more than their remaining provinces when I take the territories required.

If I get more I'd be really surprised.

protectorate colonies seem to stink at defending themselves though,it seems as GB I always end up having to re-take at least 4 provinces from the rampaging Cherokee.

I haven't had problems with 13 Colonies or New Spain, but for me it seems to be impossible to defend Louisiana as France, they get steamrolled by Iroquois, Cherokee and Pueblos before I can complete the mission.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Im doing Spain 1732 at present and using New Spain as an ? exploit. I need to only take Curacao to complete that mission but have slated that for 1799.

VH/n world domination.

New Spain gets

- every tech as soon as I get it
    -I built a school in texas with the plan that the ai in New Spain should be able to research(relatively) quicker than me as difficulty was set on vh. yet to confirm this, but new Spain has upgraded school to Classical Uni.

-New Spain has numerous trade fleets and seems to have no $ issues upgrading everything as I give the techs, completing the mission would mean getting those nodes immediately they were vacated.

- I also give occasional conquered countries (like Tunis) which are hard to control and get little money. I also assume the VH gives the ai repression bonuses.

- some would say that I should complete the mission because of the rich provinces of New Spain, but possibly as the ai on VH get $ bonuses then 50% of this bonus may be more than I would net otherwise( though I suspect not)

_ New Spain has also taken California and threatens the french in Lousianna and the Dutch in Florida(I swapped Flanders and Florida for Dutch Guyana at turn 1).

-possibly giving away a few useless countries will lessen the diplomatic empire penalty.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

I am playing as GB, and am wonder how rich they are. they lost a city (Philadelphia, I think) to Iroquois, so I went and got it back. But as I had no money to rebuilt it, I sold it back to 13P for 3000g. It's going to be mine when I finish the mission anyway. :P

Anyway, US just started war of succession, so they will probably take that city. Then I will conquer it again, and see if I can again sell it for 3000g. :D
    Last edited by lobo76; 07-02-2009 at 07:00.