Thread: observation: the campaign map is quite dynamic post 1.03

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Thumbs up observation: the campaign map is quite dynamic post 1.03

I've gotten to 1735 in a post 1.03 VH French game (taking my time to expand really slowly) and I cannot help noticing that the campaign (political) map is way more dynamic than before. Here are some things that 'have happened'.

1. Partitioning of Poland (eaten up by the Prussians, Austrians and Russians) has taken place. But that's not a biggie: it used to happen before 1.03.

2. Russia has been pushed into Siberia and Kazakhstan by the Prussians and Swedes.

3. At some point, Swedes ALMOST had Denmark, but the Danes persevered and grabbed Norway, Sweden and Finland. This I have not seen happen before.

4. Under the Danish pressure, Swedes have packed up and moved to Ingrelia, Karelia, and the other formerly Russian North Ocean province.

5. Despite me (the French) putting constant pressure on the Brits on the North East American coast, the Brits have managed to defeat Cherokees and are threatening Orleans and my Western flank by Michigan.

6. AI's Prussia has grown HUGE. Their holdings extend all the way to Moscow...

7. Before being beaten up by the Brits, Cherokees grabbed two provinces from Iroquois. Before 1.03, the North American Indians would at times declare war on each other, but rarely they would actually do something.

I'll try to post a screen later.

Update for 1760

8. The Danes own most of Russia...

9. The Poles have re-emerged and taken half of what the Prussians owned in 1730

10. The Danish armies are squeezing Prussia from both sides...

11. The Spanish have taken ALL of Northern Africa but Egypt; they are at war with the Ottomans for that last bit...

12. I (the French) am starting to regret not having gone to India early... Marathas are HUGE
    Last edited by Slaists; 07-01-2009 at 17:35.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: observation: the campaign map is quite dynamic post 1.03

I noticed GB suddenly taking over Poland and Sweden taking over the eastern most Russian province when they didn't seem to have any direct path there. Looks like the AI goes after holdings that seem rather off?

At least it does something though I guess
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    I noticed GB suddenly taking over Poland and Sweden taking over the eastern most Russian province when they didn't seem to have any direct path there. Looks like the AI goes after holdings that seem rather off?

At least it does something though I guess
    Well, I do not see Swedes expanding into Russia as something "off": even historically they did attempt that. Longer time back in the history they even succeeded... The first Russian tsar dynasty were descendents of Swedish vikings.

GB got to Poland probably after Poland attacked Austria (or vice versa) and the Brits sided with the ally.

I have seen an odd province 'ownership' here and there, but in most cases it's a result of one faction grabbing a tract of land and then, the original faction taking a few provinces back while still having an island of enemy controlled territory within.

GB just did a naval invasion of Courland in my game :P their only holdings being the isles prior to that.

just an interesting thing in my prussian campaign is that the Mughal not only resisted the Maratha confederacy, but wiped them out completely and has been expanding into europe taking persia and the provinces north, considering they are at war with russia I cannot complain and in fact allied with them and send them money so they can keep on expanding taking the russians pressure off me completely leaving me to fight the other 5 nations at war with me.
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Quote Originally Posted by Durallan View Post
    just an interesting thing in my prussian campaign is that the Mughal not only resisted the Maratha confederacy, but wiped them out completely and has been expanding into europe taking persia and the provinces north, considering they are at war with russia I cannot complain and in fact allied with them and send them money so they can keep on expanding taking the russians pressure off me completely leaving me to fight the other 5 nations at war with me.
    Uh oh....you're gonna be in for it after the Russians go down. Marathas armies are well-balanced with musket-armed infantry, some cav, and a few arty units. Mughal armies are 50% melee troops and 50% artillery (fully teched!), i.e. the most annoying armies to fight in the game, ever. Their armies were not made to win, they were made to take the biggest chunk out of your army before they go.

I made the mistake of supporting Mughals over Marathas once (as Prussia too). By the time I was fighting them (for prestige), they were coming at me with 10-12 units of full-tech artillery. Can you imagine a grand battery of 40 cannon shooting shrapnel shot at your army, it wasn't a pretty sight lol.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post
    Uh oh....you're gonna be in for it after the Russians go down. Marathas armies are well-balanced with musket-armed infantry, some cav, and a few arty units. Mughal armies are 50% melee troops and 50% artillery (fully teched!), i.e. the most annoying armies to fight in the game, ever. Their armies were not made to win, they were made to take the biggest chunk out of your army before they go.

I made the mistake of supporting Mughals over Marathas once (as Prussia too). By the time I was fighting them (for prestige), they were coming at me with 10-12 units of full-tech artillery. Can you imagine a grand battery of 40 cannon shooting shrapnel shot at your army, it wasn't a pretty sight lol.
    Now that is something I'd love to see. Sounds like a great game.

and here I was with 40 territories thinking I'd have nothing left to fight till the end of the game! that sounds exciting! not for my troops of course lol theyll hate me but that does sound fun!
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Damn, too late for my GB campaing since I conquered India from Marathas at the same pace they advanced into Mughal territories. I should really try playing Marathas even if everyone says they're way too easy.
    To stay in the topic, In my current campaing with Spain French captured Iceland and English owned Denmark in year 1709. Now I'm afraid France will DoW me because I won't trade Savoy or Flanders for Iceland and random tech.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post

yeah, I had the same experience when fighting them as gb.. I had a superb battle with them once. I had to use the hills as cover and marched half my army around the terrain to attack their flank. Otherwise my boys would not have made their lines on a frontal assault. there were a good 6 or 7 cannons causing havok!

Also agree in my game as spain, france has nuked most of nth america, perhaps GB is less dominant than before
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.