Thread: Double line troubles (navy)

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Double line troubles (navy)

Just today I started my second serious campaign. I know, I just take forever to play this game through to the end. So I started a game as the Dutch and on turn 1 I'm already attacked by pirates.
    My first campaign was as Prussia, so I didn't really bother with a navy. But I prepared by reading and watching some video's. On especially interested me, namely the video about the double line. So I try to reproduce this tactic but ...

Firts I order my 1 line into position and immediatly my second line BUT as opposed to my first line, who sale to their destination without fault, the ships of my second line just turn around their own axis.

What could be the problem?
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 07-03-2009 at 11:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Default Re: Double line troubles (navy)

At a guess, I think they might be too close to the other line, so they use an avoidance routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Firts I order my 1 line into position and immediatly my second line BUT as opposed to my first line, who sale to their destination without fault, the ships of my second line just turn around their own axis.

What could be the problem?
    I use the double line technique and never had a problem. I just wonder if you are setting it up correctly in the first place.

This is how I organise mine:-

1. Split the fleet into two seperate groups.

2. Select each group seperately and order it to form 'Line ahead'.

3. Position the two groups so that they are side-by-side heading in the same direction and staggerred so that the ships of one are positioned adjacent to the gaps in the other.

4. Once you are happy select both groups or press CTRL+A and click on the Group button to merge both groups into one.

5. After merging the two groups DO NOT touch the formation button again for the entire battle.

To move the fleet simply select the group and order it to move where you wish.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

In any case, you'd probably want any double line to be formed of two single lines for flexibility.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. I put the second line somewhat furter away AND I grouped them all. It worked this time.

Being an adaquate admiral is something else off course but I'm at least getting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.