Thread: About the small 'fix' that disabled the cavalry jump animation...

Default About the small 'fix' that disabled the cavalry jump animation...

So... since I saw how bad phalanx was vs. cavalry, and wanted some better ways to counter them, I looked at the thread called "Investigation of the phalanx formation." Buried within the wealth of information, there was this fix that drastically improved the performance of phalanx when vs. cavalry.

Quoted from the Readme that came along with the remedy:

Cavalry have the annoying habbit of jumping clean over both pikemen and
    the 21 foot long razor sharp supposedly deadly to cavalry pikes they are holding from the front
    to engage the entire pike unit in close quaters combat,
    where the pikemen have to drop their pikes and fight with swords thus loosing their anti cavalry weapon
    and one might reasonably surmise the anti-cavalry bonus that went with it,
    and some of us consider this a little bit unrealistic.

Being quite excited that I can now stop suicide charges from psychotic Roman generals, I used the little fix, only to be quite shocked (and pissed) that it doesn't work on version 1.5!

So, here's the question: is there such a fix that does work on version 1.5?

Default Re: About the small 'fix' that disabled the cavalry jump animation...

Erm, phalanxes are usually deadly to any cavalry, unless stretched real thin or against real elites. Using Royal Pikemen, Armoured Hoplites, Sacred Band, Silver Shields or Pharaohs Guard usually stop almost all cavalry, unless charge in by more than 2 units or heavy upgraded cataphracts.

General's Bodyguards have 2 hit points which is why they can get though the spears and pikes. I find that hoplites and phalanxes have to be deployed in their default depths (5 ranks for hoplites and 8 for phalanxes) in order to have a chance. Reducing the General's Bodyguards' hit points down to 1 should get rid of the problem as well.

I also find this "jumping" tactic a bit annoying, true.. But it would also be annoying if pikemen would be able to provide an impenetrable wall against all kinds o cavalry either. As far as I read from some real war stories, there are always few cavalry somehow manage to get inside the spear wall in battles. (Don't know how.. Never been in such battles ) Some soldiers miraculously survive from gun volleys from 100 meters, or bomb explosions.. So why not spears?