Thread: Recruitment of special/elite & DLC units

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Cool Recruitment of special/elite & DLC units

You may have noticed how government type affects some of the the unit types you can recruit. This was active pre v1.3 for Horse/infantry/republican Guard units but has been extended in v1.3 to include some of the new and DLC units.

E.g. having built the "palais Bourbon" as a Spanish monarchy I could recruit the Walloon Guards (DLC) but after a switch to Republic, my prized guards had disappeared from my army! I was also unable to recruit them again in Madrid (Palais Bourbon was fine and still standing). Instead, as a republic I could recruit "Conscripts" and (i assume that once i tech up that far) "Republican Guard". I'm not sure if I'll still be able to recruit the other DLC elite units -Guardias de Corp or Guardias de Infanteria, which are recruited through the Army Barracks ladder.

While i applaud the idea and detail of goverment-type dependant troops, I can't help but feel a niggle of annoyance if, having paid for the DLC units, i can only use them for half the game. What's also not clear to me is why some DLC and special/elite units are recruitable from Govt buildings and others from Military ones.

1. Firstly, it would make sense to me that those whose recruitability is dependant on Government type (e.g. Royal household units, republican guard) should be recruitable through the government building ladder -not the Army barracks ladder.

2. What would IMO also be better, in game terms, would be to have a greater range of alternative/equivalent elite units for each govt type e.g. Life Guards/Republican Guards, and that these should (as above) be recuritable in the same way as each other, e.g at the highest level Govt building, or be co-dependant on Govt and Army barrack type buildings. At the moment a Republican army lacks some of the individuality of a Monarchic one.

My niggle of annoyance is nonetheless tempered by the concept of re-enacting the events subsequent to the French revolution and the establishment of the 1st Republic, where pretty much the whole of Europe (barring the Ottoman Empire) descended on France and forced it to fight-off numerous invasion attempts, which would have re-instated a Monarch. Conscripts are a decent enough approximation to the citizen armies raised and the high "different govt type" relation penalty may help the tide of war on the way (i did have to engage in a couple of turns of gifts and bribery to get relations back to friendly -even with Monarchic France). But that scenario has yet to ever unfold for me and I've neevr seen Conscripts as more than a unit too expensive to use as garrison troops and too weak to face off against line inf in enemy armies.

Perhaps my experience would have been been different had i not had the income or territorial and millitary stability, in which case i wouldn't have been able to continue relying on more expensive units than conscripts (i.e. line inf).

Have any of you guys been drawn into wars due to revolutions etc? Anyone come near to re-inventing the Marseillese? Any thoughts on my proposition regarding recruitment of units?

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Default Re: Recruitment of special/elite & DLC units

Regarding availabilty.

It will be 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. 50-50.

I can see both side.

I prefer the current solution of making specific characteristics a criteria of gaining the units.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Something that has me puzzled is that in my current US campaign, I can recruit household cavalry, I thought this unit was exlusive to monarchies, why can I, a republic build them now when in 1.2 and prior to that I couldn't?

I like the way things are currently.

You actually have a reason to want to go to a constitutional monarchy over a republic which has impressive economic and technological bonuses over other government types.

If republics got the same units, why would you ever switch to a constitutional monarchy?

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by resonantblue View Post
    If republics got the same units, why would you ever switch to a constitutional monarchy?
    For the CM's complete lack of industrial discontent -you barely need garrisons and can devote as many towns as you like to industry, without having to build seminaries and pleasure palaces.

I have a question about the DLC units, I Paid for them and apparently downloaded them but they have not shown up yet I am looking at single player custom battle not in campaign shouldn’t all units show up availible to buy in custom battle?

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM!! View Post
    I have a question about the DLC units, I Paid for them and apparently downloaded them but they have not shown up yet I am looking at single player custom battle not in campaign shouldn’t all units show up availible to buy in custom battle?
    They should be there, be sure to set the era to "late". I forgot to do that at first and was like "what the?"
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    For the CM's complete lack of industrial discontent -you barely need garrisons and can devote as many towns as you like to industry, without having to build seminaries and pleasure palaces.
    I never build pleasure palaces or seminaries and republics have never been a problem. The gains over time of the republican economic bonus (not even counting the research bonus) more than pay for any garrisons you have to maintain. Discontent is only a problem if you don't spread out your universities.