Thread: Mod Recommendation Thread

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Mod Recommendation Thread

A thread for the discussion of mods. DISCUSS.

I recently found the 'Ottoman Realism Mod' over at TWcenter. It's a fun little mod that makes the Ottomans quite a bit more fun to play, although it has some bug issues (Israeyli's have 19 defence, for example).

Mostly it just adds lots of fun units to the Ottomans and makes some changes.

Possibly the biggest change is the addition of Sekban Janissary's. Janissary's with guns, wearing the more 'traditional' Janissary garb, complete with funky headdress. The only issue is, of course, that they have Guards level stats, although they also have Guards level upkeep, so it balances out, really. They don't get bayonets either.

Combined with the Ottoman edition of the Drum and Fife mod and you've got an awesome Ottoman experience. Nothing beats watching your army crushing the infidels to the tune of "Cedin Dedden'.

It also makes many of the Ottoman units red, which is nice. Those elite Janissary's look a little less like they're on their way to a gay techno stripclub and more like they're in for a fight. The leopard patterned vests still need to go, though.

The edition with music is nice as well, although the menu music can get grating after a while.

---

The Additional Units Mod (AUM) has its ups and downs. While the additional units are awesome, several conflict or are redundant with units added in the latest patch or the Elite Units DLC (Friekorps, for example). Further, many are given to EVERY faction in the battle menu, such as Cairo Guards.

This results in crowding of the recruiting menus, which can be really annoying, since you cant see unit portraits or prices without mousing over them...and selecting a specific unit card can be quite difficult.

---

There's also a nice music mod I found, which replaces ETW's rather bland native soundtrack with some authentic 18th (and 19th) century tunes. The only problem is that it doesn't play nicely with the Ottoman mod's music. Thus the randomly selected marching music can be a little odd sometimes. Still, it is rather amusing to see the Russian army alternating between 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' and "Cedin Dedden'.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Mod Recommendation Thread

I keep waiting for the game to settle down into a nice, stable form before I give into mods. At the going rate, I guess that will be sometime around Christmas ... not that I mind all of the patches, of course. Yay patches. Thanks, CA.

How do the various mods play with getting patched?

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

All of those work fine with patch #4, for me anyway.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I can recommend 'The Rights of Man' [TROM] mod. It the only thing that has stopped me throwing this game out the window in disgust, and I would never play without it now. The corrections to artillery fire alone justify its use.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1186

Other mods I use personally and can recommend are:

TROM_Naval_Sub_mod - corrects the inaccuracies in naval gun reload times (only for those who really care, as it slows down naval combat no end)

Proper_Militia_1.1 - gets rid of the ridiculous 'French Onion Sellers'.

Weapon_FX - TROM has is own weapon sound mods, but I personally prefer these which sound much more authentic even than TROMs.

Blood and Smoke 3.1 - Increases the smoke produced by black powder weapons to a more realistic level and adds some nice blood splatter effects.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237457

Uniform Correction Mods

Patch_UP_Retextures - reskins the Dutch Troops.
    Ancient Regime - Several Spanish reskins including line infantry, guard infantry and artillery
    Ancient Regime France Retexture - Complete rework of the French army, includes foriegn regiments.

Basically, I am constantly seeking new reskins for whichever faction I am currently playing as I refuse to play with the inaccurate vanilla units.

Music

Hollowfaiths Music Mods - A set of faction oriented music mods.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237918

Brigadier Graham's Faction Specific Music Mod - Allows each faction to play the right music.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258287

MOD List
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=243912
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

I'd recommend giving the hosted mods at the TWC a look, they're definitely all worth playing.