Thread: Trading techs

Default Trading techs

So does the game allow this post 1.3?

Before the patch, in RTI i could trade techs easily enough, but in the big campaign with patch 1.3, i haven't been able to trade a single tech. Even if i offer say 10-12 techs to a nation that is "very friendly" for a single low-level tech, they refuse.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Marcus Caelius; 07-06-2009 at 07:30.

Default Re: Trading techs

I don't think it's any harder than it has ever been, I've never managed to buy a tech with just techs, either dozens of techs and tons of cash for single tech, or easier way is to sell provinces for techs.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I think the price of techs in 1.3 is a bit higher than 1.2.
    I have a rough idea of values of individuals techs from 1.2, but especially for mid and higher end techs, they have now nearly doubled in price (i.e. selective breeding now at some 78k when it went for 49k previously)

General idea of tech value:
    Tier 1: 7000-12000
    Tier 2: 10000-16000
    Tier 3: 16000-33000
    Tier 4+: usually higher than 35000

Note that there are some exceptions to the rule. I.e. the naval buildings line tends to cost more and the industrial farm line costs ridiculous amounts as well.

Now as for your tech value vs the AI's, in 1.2, you could actually trade 1:1 or 2:1 with high end social techs agaisnt lower AI techs. In 1.3, they will not even value your top end techs for anything at all.

Generally, each of your techs is worth less than 1000 to the AI, msotly in the 200-600 range.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 07-06-2009 at 11:01.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    I think the price of techs in 1.3 is a bit higher than 1.2.
    I have a rough idea of values of individuals techs from 1.2, but especially for mid and higher end techs, they have now nearly doubled in price (i.e. selective breeding now at some 78k when it went for 49k previously)

General idea of tech value:
    Tier 1: 7000-12000
    Tier 2: 10000-16000
    Tier 3: 16000-33000
    Tier 4+: usually higher than 35000

Note that there are some exceptions to the rule. I.e. the naval buildings line tends to cost more and the industrial farm line costs ridiculous amounts as well.

Now as for your tech value vs the AI's, in 1.2, you could actually trade 1:1 or 2:1 with high end social techs agaisnt lower AI techs. In 1.3, they will not even value your top end techs for anything at all.

Generally, each of your techs is worth less than 1000 to the AI, msotly in the 200-600 range.
    Yup, trading techs for techs seems completely infeasible in 1.3... Maybe the fact that on higher difficulties AI has much easier time to attain those techs than the player has something to do with it. In 1.3, I have had the AI offer me techs for territory though.

The impossibility to trade techs takes a bit away from the game, but I am more worried about the fact that post 1730 no one seems to be willing to agree to trade... even nations with zero trade partners bluntly refuse all offers unless ridiculous amounts of money are offered in exchange. Playing as Britain, I am keeping 13 colonies as a separate nation just because they are my most valuable trade partner... The others I have are mostly blockaded and seem to be programmed not to do anything about enemy ships sitting in their harbors...
    Last edited by Slaists; 07-06-2009 at 14:21.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

ive only once been able to ge any techs from anyone, and that was complete luck. ive had the game since march 3, not one tech trading. i could offer every tech in the game for a low level weaving bonus tech, and be refused. its completely broken.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

meh. just some more lazy silliness from CA, then?

It's just annoying, given the absolutely superb job they've done on the engine, the visuals and the mechanism of the game itself that they've put so little thought into decision making routines and even logic.

It's not that hard! Look at some of the alternatives in Civ, freeciv and see how easy it is to do sensibly!