Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Line of Ptolemy

Default The Line of Ptolemy

The Line of Ptolemaios
    An EB Ahistorical Ptolemaioi AAR

Important Characters as of Spring 259 BCE

The Ptolemaic Line - The descendents of Ptolemy I Soter, the royal bloodline of the Ptolemaioi, true Makedons.

Ptolemaios II Philadelphos ~ Youngest son of Ptolemaios I Soter and ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom.

Meleagros ~ Middle son of Ptolemy I Soter, brother to Ptolemaios II.

Euergetes ~ Oldest son of Ptolemaios II Philadelphos and heir to the Throne of the Ptolemaic Kingdom.

Lysimachos~ Son of Ptolemaios II and brother to the heir apparent Euergetes

Berenike ~ Daughter of Ptolemaios II

Terpnos ~ Son of Meleagros

Eirene ~ Daughter of Ptolemaios I.

Lysandra ~ Daughter of Ptolemaios I.

Herib ~ Daughter of Meleagros. Born 271 BC

Thermouthis ~ Daughter of Ptolemaios II. Born 270 BC

Hermias ~ Son of Meleagros. Born 268 BC

Kallippos ~ Son of Meleagros. Born 266 BC

Tasion ~ Wife of Lysimachos

Eubiota ~ Daughter of Lysimachos and Tasion, born 263 BC.

Niko ~ Wife of Euergetes.

Charias ~ Son of Euergetes and Niko, born 261 BC.

The Kypriakos Family

Eunostos Kypriakos ~ Brother-in-law of Ptolemaios II and married to Eirene. Died Peacefully 271 BC

Philotera ~ Daughter of Eunostos and Eirene

The Thraikikos - True Makedons and have a strong claim to the throne of the Ptolemaic Kingdom should the Ptolemaic line be ended

Agathokles ~ Married to Lysandra, brother-in-law to Ptolemaios II. Died Peacefully 270 BC

Alexandros ~ Son of Agothokles and Lysandra

Leontiskaos ~ Son of Agothokles and Lysandra

Kleopatra ~ Daughter of Agathokles and Lysandra

Hedeia ~ Daughter of Leontiskas. Born 270 BC

Pothine ~ Daughter of Leontiskos. Born 266 BC

Nefertiti ~ Wife of Alexandros

Phanagoras ~ Son of Alexandros and Nefertiti, born 261 BC.

Tyrphanai ~ Daughter of Leontiskos, born 260 BC.

The Salaminios - Kyprios, have small claim to the throne in the event of the extinction of the Ptolemic Dynasty, due to Menelaos being married to a grand-daughter of Ptolemaios I.

Menelaos ~ Married to Philotera, son-in-law of Eunostos. Died Peacefully 271 BC.

Artakama ~ Daughter of Menelaos and Philotera

Ptolemais ~ Daughter of Menelaos and Philotera

The Soter - Aigyptios, married into the Salaminios family.

Karpion Soter ~ Married to Ptolemais, son-in-law of Menelaos. Dioiketes from 270 BC until his death in 261 BC.

Theoxena ~ Daughter of Karpion and Ptolemais, born 270.

Sophanes ~ Son of Karpion and Ptolemais, born 268 BC.

Diogenis ~ Daughter of Karpion and Ptolemais, born 266 BC.

Aristonike ~ Daughter of Karpion and Ptolemais, born 264 BC.

The Philoterios - Makedones, married into the Salaminios Family.

Sosandros Philoterios ~ Married to Artakama, son-in-law of Menelaos.

Stasikrates ~ Son of Sosandros and Artakama. Born 270

Teiseas ~ Son of Sosandros and Artakama, born 264.

Zenon ~ Son of Sosandris and Artakama, born 262.

Kleaineth ~ Daughter of Sosandros and Artakama, born 260 BC.

The Andriakeios- Married into the Ptolemaios family. Have reasonably strong claim to the throne.

Pyrrhos Andriakeios ~ Married to Berenike, son-in-law of Ptolemaios II .

Stratonike ~ Daughter of Pyrrhos and Berenike, born 262 BC.

Chairas ~ Son of Pyrrhos and Berenike, born 260 BC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post will be updated as new family members are born and old ones die. This is through my personal choice as I sometimes lose track of all the names in some of the lengthier AAR's.

The AAR itself will be told in the form of a history book. With occasional references from memoirs.

Although it is Ahistorical I will not be blitzing the map. I have made a few house rules to help me here:

~ No retraining of units (unless they have no chevrons of experience)
    ~ Captains cannot lead armies

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated, as will CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, if you notice I have made a mistake with translations or the spelling of words don't hesitate to mention.

The first chapter will probably be up in the next few days.

Cheers, Roka
    Last edited by Roka; 10-20-2009 at 18:04.

Default Re: The Line of Ptolemy

Chapter I ~The Best Laid Plans

In the 11th year of the reign of Ptolemaos II (272 BC), the Ptolemaioi were involved in the First Syrian War. Ptolemaios II, hoping to conquer the city of Damaskos starting building up a Royal Army. However the fates soon threw a spanner into the works.

In the winter of this year Diospolis-Magale (Thebes) was attacked by local dissidents, Ptolemaios sent word to his nephew Leontiskas Thraikikos in Pselkis to move to reinforce the embattled Meleagros. However Meleagros was impatient and decided to sally to meet the foe. Very little is known about the battle except that the Ptolemaic forces were victorious and that the Rebels were ruthlessly crushed.

Preparations for the march to Damskos continued undisturbed by the rebellion to the south and in the late autumn of 271 BC Ptolemaios led his army East out of Aigyptos expecting to be reinforcied in Ioudeia. He did not get far however as news soon reached him that the Kyrenaioi led by Philon have attacked the western border town of Paraitonion. Ptolemaios II ordered his troops to march towards Paratainon instead. Stopping off at Alexandria to be reinforced by a unit of Thureophoroi (Spearmen).

In the spring of 270 BC Philon of Kyrene succesfully attacks the Ptolemaic forces in Paraitonion. Very little is known about the battle except that the gates were apparently thrown open by collaborators and the garrison swiftly defeated. Philon is said to have shown mercy to the people of Paraitonion. By autumn Ptolemaios II was on the borders of Marmarike and encountered army of Philon. In late autumn a relatively large battle was fought and, as a member of the Pezhetairoi Phillipos wrote, Ptolemaios was victorious.

"As the army approached Marmarike the scouts reported that an army of lesser numbers than ours was waiting in the hills. Ptolemaios immediately rode out on his horse to survey the enemy position by himself. He returned late at night and called the officers to his command tent. Early the next morning the battle plan was relayed to us, we would try and dislodge the enemy from the high ground using the Toxotoi, however if that was unsuccessful the army would meet them on the hill. Naturally the Pezhetairoi would bear the brunt of the fighting, attacking the enemy Phalangitai in the centre.

By afternoon we had marched to within sight of the enemy and it was apparent to all but the fools in the army that Philon had chosen his ground extremely well. His army was drawn up on the steepest hill in the area. The Toxotoi advanced to pepper the enemy Phalanx with arrows, however the stubborn enemy would not move, so the Basileus sent the Machimoi Hippeis out to the left preparing for a flanking maneuver whilst the main body of infantry advanced towards the waiting enemy lines. The enemy waited unmoving as we slowly ascended the hill. Philon however was a crafty general and all of a sudden the air was filled with javelins as Akontistatai rushed from the midst of the Phalanx firing two volleys at us before retreating to the safety of the rear once more.

A typical battle ensued with the an almighty crash as the two armies collided, slowly grinding each other down. At the time i was wondering were the Hippeis were, but i found out later that they were involved in a desperate fight with the enemy general and his bodyguard of Machimoi on the flank. Up and down the line the battle seemed to be going badly until Ptolemaios himself drove Philon from the field and was able to flank the enemy Phalanx. Rolling up the line from their right flank whilst the Machimoi chased down any fleeing enemies. Only Philon and his bodyguard were able to escape the battle.

Soon after the battle word reached us that Ptolemaios II has another child, a girl named Thermouthis."

Although the testimony of one man is always subject to bias, his account fo the battle seems plausible as Ptolemaios was forced to halt his advance and await reinforcement from his 16 year old son Euergetes in the Spring. In the summer Ptolemaios besieges Paraitonion and offers the unconditional surrender of Philon in exchange for the lives of him and his men. A single javelin launched over the towns walls is the only answer. By the time autumn arrives Paraitonion is back in Ptolemaic hands. Ptolemaios III wrote about the battle later:

"It was to be my first battle and also the first time I killed a man. The plan was simple, the Thureophoroi were to batter down the gates and proceed to the centre of the town, killing anyone who resisted. Mean while me and my father would follow close behind at the head of the cavalry.

I will admit to feeling nervous as the gates opened with a crash and I am ashamed to say I let out a sigh of relief when the gap was not filled with screaming enemies. The Thureophoroi quickly advanced into the town but met no resistance until they reached the main square.

My father led his cavlary force round to flank the enemy whilst I charged straight towards the enemy general, who was already engaged with the Thureophoroi. The noise was deafening as we clashed with the embattled Machimoi Hippeis. I killed the first man I encountered with a thrust of my Xyston to the chest, my teachers would have been proud. Soon after I entered the fray my father attacked the enemy from the rear bringing the battle to a close as the enemy were slaughtered. Philon refused to surrender and instead of allowing himself to be captured threw himself onto the spears of the Thureophoroi."

After the battle Ptolemaios sent an emmisary to the Kyrenaioi, offering a ceasefire in exchange for gold. They quickly accepted and Ptolemaios II went about rebuilding the town of Paraitonion. It is wondered whether Ptolemaios would have attacked the Kyrenaioi anyway as it is believed that he did not fully believe his Karthadastim allies and wanted a buffer state between them and he.

Other events in the Ptolemaic kingdom in this time:~

Eunostos Kypriakos dies in the Spring of 271

Herib, daughter of Meleagros is born in Autumn 271

In the winter, Karpion Soter marries Ptolemais, daughter of Menelaos and Philotera. However Menelaos dies mere weeks after the wedding of his daughter.

In the Spring of 270 BC, Sosandros Philoterios marries Menelaos' other daughter Artakama.

The town of Side manages to repel an attack by the Arche Seleukeia in the Autumn of this year.

As winter descends on the land, Agathokles Thraikikos dies around the same time his first grandchild Hedeia is born to his son Leontiskos. Stasikrates Philoterios is also born. As is Theoxena, daughter of the newly appointed Dioiketes (Minister of Finacne) Karpion Soter.

In the new year, Euergetes oldest son of Ptolemaios II comes of age and immediately joins his father on campaign before returning to Alexandria for further education after the battle for Paraitonion.

Admiral Naukrates defeats a Seleukid fleet off the coast of Iuodeia and proceeds to blocakde Antiochus in the summer of 269. Trade rights are also agreed with the Sabeans around this time.

As the trees shed their leaves a Hellen named Erasiphon Sebennytios marries Kleopatra.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the lack of screenshots, the next chapters will be full of them, I promise.

First post has been edited.
    Last edited by Roka; 08-02-2009 at 19:07.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Good start, your battle descriptions are well written. Ill be following this one.

4x
    1x

Indeed a good start! Nice to see that you picked up my idea.

Some more screenshots would be appreciated, though.
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    Indeed a good start! Nice to see that you picked up my idea.

Some more screenshots would be appreciated, though.
    yeah i've got a few screenshots sorted for the next chapter

i was pressing the wrong button to take screenies

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roka View Post
    i was pressing the wrong button to take screenies
    Just remember to turn anti-aliasing off if you are just using the printscreen button. Good luck with the AAR.

Chapter II
    The Road to Damaskos?

268 BC – 264 BC

In the 15th year since Ptolemaios II Philadelphos came to the throne of Aigyptos, the First Syrian War, was yet to really kick off. Only one land battle had been fought directly between the Ptolemaioi and their Seleukid rivals (near Side in 270 BC) with the Ptolemaic force victorious against a numerically superior foe. It is widely believed however that the attack on Paraitonion by the Kyrenaioi was financed by Antiochos I, but since there was no Seleukid forces in the battle it cannot be counted as a battle in the war.

Around the same time that Meleagros' second son, Hermias, was born the Karthadastim attacked Kyrene. An enraged Philadelphos sent an emissary to the Karthadastim force attacking the city threatening them with war if they did not return to their own lands. The emissary returned to Alexandria with a guarantee that as long as Ptolemaios counted the Kyrenaioi a friend they would not attack. Things seemed to go back to normal between the two African super-powers however, with retrospect, relations were strained from this point onwards.

In the winter of 268, Admiral Naukrates surprised a group of particularly troublesome pirates in the North Sea and completely decimated their fleet. Taking the leader captive to be drowned in the Nile.

The year of 268 BC was a quiet year for the period with Ptolemaios delaying his renewed campaign to Damaskos in light of recent developments with the Karthadastim.

After making sure that his ultimatum was accepted he resumed his journey to Damaskos this time using his naval superiority of the region to transport his army to Ioudeia where it would be reinforced by 8000 local spearmen. Philadelpos was finally able to besiege Damaskos in the Spring of 266 BC almost five years after he first began his march to the Seleukid town. His second son Lysimachos comes of age around this time and begins further education in Alexandria.

For a full year Ptolemaios camped outside Damaskos unwilling to assault the walls yet unable to draw the garrison out from behind them. The only time Philadelphos left the countryside surrounding Damaskos was in the autumn of that first year when he attended his son Lysimachos' wedding.

By the following Spring the Ptolemaic army was getting restless and Ptolemaios new he would either have to attack soon or else lift the siege and return to Ioudeia. This decision was made for him when his scouts reported a large army almost over 20,000 strong coming to relieve Damaskos. Including the army inside the city which numbered 14,000 he would be outnumbered by 2-1. With another army marching from Antiocheia towards Sidon battling a numerically superior force then marching to fight another army would not be a good strategy. He lifted the siege on Damaskos and marched north to engage the army to the north of Sidon. Surprisingly neither the relief force led by Seron Themisoniou Phrygikou nor the garrison of Damaskos pursued. Once again Phillipos, member of the Pezheiteroi, provides the most credible account of the battle:

“As we marched towards the enemy, Ptolemaios noticed an ideal position to take, close to Mount Lebanon. To engage us the enemy would have to travel up a slight slope with almost no cover, it was also ideal as there was forested areas to the right of our position which we could hide our reserves in.

The next day the army awoke to the news that the enemy would reach us by afternoon. This gave us plenty of time to prepare. The plan was simple let the enemy march in the open ground while our Toxotoi rained arrows upon them, then allow them to exhaust themselves on the points of our Sarissas.

Around midday a rumor spread around the camp that our reinforcements from Sidon would not arrive in time. The Ioudaioi Taxeis, mostly inexperienced men seemed to take this news as a bad omen, but luckily they had very little to ponder this and let their imaginations run wild as the enemy emerged from the forest at the foot of the hill we were positioned on, in the typical style, all the Phalangitai in the There was also a unit of Prodromoi on our left flank, with 800 Ioudaioi Taxeis and 1600 Thureophoroi in the woods on our right. All too soon the enemy came within range of the Toxotoi and the air was filled with burning arrows.

In the centre of the enemy line was a unit of Argyraspides. We may outnumber them but the enemy army's core was made up of these elites. Ptolemaios must have noticed them too for the order was given to direct all fire upon these men. The enemy advanced under fire from our archers who inflicted minimal damage. The Ioudaioi Taxeis in the first line were ordered to fire upon the enemy as soon as they came within range. The man to my left Alexios had disclosed to me at the camp fire the night before that he had some doubt about the loyalty of the Ioudaioi as the enemy had a few thousand of their countrymen in it. His fears were for naught however as a hail of javelins slammed into the enemy Ioudaioi Taxeis.

The enemy general ordered his army to halt just out of reach of our Sarissas, it would seem they were going to try and tease us down the slope. They launched volley after volley at our line but still we stood fast. The man in front of me whose name, to my eternal shame, I cannot recall was hit in the chest by a javelin. Without hesitation I stepped into the space once occupied by him, as he was dragged to the back of the Phalanx.

Seeing that we would not give up the high ground without a fight the enemy advanced once again. My unit and the unit to our left would attempt to halt the enemy Argyraspides, no easy task. The battle in the centre was even for the next few hours until the unthinkable happened. The Argyraspides fearing being flanked broke. Seemingly without shame they turned their banks on our phalanx and ran back the way they came. Leaving their leader alone, surrounded and outnumbered.

The battle soon drew to a close. Fugitives from the enemy army being hunted down well into the night. The battle was a great victory by anyone's standards, hardly any of the Greeks on our side died, the Ioudaioi Taxeis bearing the brunt of the casualties. These men fought well in this battle. For barbaroi.”

With this victory Ptolemaios II had a clear road to Antiocheia, which was left virtually undefended. Many of its garrison lying dead in the hills of Phoenicia. Ptolemaios immediately moved his army towards the western capital of the Arche Seluekia, arriving at the beginning of winter.

Time line of this period:

268 BC

Summer ~ Hermias Ptolemaios, son of Meleagros Ptolemaios is born.

Autumn ~ Kyrene attacked by an army of Karthadastim
    ~ Sophanes Soter, son of Karpion Soter is born

Winter ~ Admiral Naukrates defeats pirates in the Red Sea

267 BC

Summer ~ Eirene, sister of Ptolemaios II dies
    ~ Ptolemaios resumes his planned invasion of Damaskos

266 BC

Spring ~ Lysimachos Ptolemaios, son of Ptolemaios II comes of age.
    ~ Ptolemaios II besieges Damaskos

Summer ~ Pothine, daughter of Leontiskos is born.
    ~ Kallippos, 3rd son of Meleagros is born

Autumn ~ Lysimachos marries Tasion
    ~ Deogenis daughter of Karpion Soter born

265 BC

Spring ~ Ptolemaios retreats before a numerically superior Seleukid army, led by Seron Themisoniou Phrygikou.

Summer ~ Philadelphos moves his army north to counter a Seleukid army marching south from
    Antiocheia
    ~ Ptolemaios II defeats a Seleukid army in Phoenicia

Winter ~ Ptolemaios II besieges Antiocheia.

The Known World at the end of 265 BC

Great! I really like the screenshots you have used!
    Non omnis moriar

Great! I really like the screenshots you have used!
    Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with the quality of them as well.

I take a ton of screenshots during battles and a lot don't make the cut so to speak, not necessarily since they aren't good enough but often they don't fit into the narrative.

There won't be an update of this for a week at least as I have exams this week and next week. Just taking a little break from studying just now.

The pace at which the first two chapters were fired out is probably because I really hate studying and it was a welcome alternative.

Excellent work Roka. Your screenshots are good, aswell as your narrative of the battles.
    I also like the way things are listed in chronological order, as its short enough to read but infromative.

Let us hope that you won't study much.

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    Excellent work Roka. Your screenshots are good, aswell as your narrative of the battles.
    I also like the way things are listed in chronological order, as its short enough to read but infromative.

Let us hope that you won't study much.
    the next chapter will be up in a few hours time

thought my exam was today but it's actually saturday, that's right, saturday

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I've been lurking this thread since you started. There hasn't been a Ptolemaic AAR since Chirgeon's. But, I just wanted to stop by and say good start. I'm interested to see this progress.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Ah, I was planning on a Ptollie AAR as well, in the viewpoint of the pharao's sister-wife, but you beated me, so I guess I've to find another faction, maybe I'll do Sauromatae or Rhomaioi. Well if you need some help with greek words, you can always PM me. Good luck with this AAR, I hope it will be as good (or better) then Chiurgeon's. And you already have a good start.

-Skullheadhq
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Chapter III
    The Peak of the First Syrian War

264 – 262 BC

As the 19th year of his reign began, Ptolemaios II was encamped in the countryside surrounding Antiocheia. The citizens repeatedly refused Ptolemaios' demands for their surrender, trusting in the reinforcement armies that they had been promised would arrive in the summer. The approach of these armies was also known to Philadelphos however and not wanting to face an attack from two fronts decided to take Antiocheia by force. In early spring he ordered his men to attack. Vastly outnumbered the beleaguered defenders fought bravely until the walls were taken and they were driven back to the centre of the city. Ptolemaios again offered mercy in exchange for the surrender of all Seleukid forces in the city. The Seleukid commander, a man named Kendebaios refused this surrender outright. Ptolemaios was enraged he ordered all forces into the city and prepared to wipe the garrison out, promising to kill every man bearing arms against him. The attack never proceeded however as the remaining Seleukid soldiers threw down their weapons and forcefully restrained their commander. Ptolemaios again showed mercy to the people and even to the soldiers, promising them their freedom once all Seleukid forces in Syria had been dealt with.

Whilst his father was fighting in Syria, Euergetes arrived in the city of Sidon, ready to take
    up the governorship of Phoenicia. He had finished his studies the previous year and his father had entrusted him with this province which bordered the Seleukid region of Koile-Syria. This would be the first of many test Ptolemaios laid down for his sons to decide who would become the ruler of his Kingdom after his death.

As the season changed, Seron Themisoniou Phrygikou arrived at Antiocheia to find it under the control of the Ptolemaioi. As he moved to besiege the gates opened and Ptolemios' army started marshalling. It is widely believed that the presence of a second Seleukid army marching from the north greatly influenced Ptoleamaios' decision to sally. A citizen of Antiocheia recorded the battle.

“My name is Simon. I am Ioudaioi. I moved to this city a year ago seeking to increase my family's fortune in the great market of Antiocheia. Since I came here however the city has been twice besieged by the two sides fighting in this war. It matters little to me who rules the city. Although this Ptolemaios seems to be a fair man and has even promised us a local ruler. The word in the market this morning was that the Seleukid general was enraged by how the city capitulated to Ptolemaios' army.

Today there was a great battle in the plain outside the city, most of the citzens, including myself, took to the walls to spectate. We were soon joined by some soldiers bearing bows however as Ptolemaios moved his army through the great gates of the city.

I was unimpressed by how long it took this Ptolemaios to organise his army into something resembling a battle line. I was formerly a mercenary in the city of Halikanarssos so I know a little about battle. Fortunately for the king however his enemy was hesitant to attack his disorganised army in the shadow of the walls. Eventually the line was formed and the army advanced to the waiting Seleukid line.

As the distance between the two armies closed the Toxotai on the walls fired volley after volley. Soon the armies were staring at each other from just out of javelin range. The Seleukid general sent his cavalry to attack the Ioudaioi on the right flank. Whilst the centre came under missile attack.

My countrymen held fast however and soon the cavalry was driven off. Soon they were subjected to attack from units of other Ioudaioi and Pantodapoi as Phrygikou desperately tried to break through the line. He sent more and more units into the fray trying to find a weakspot, all they find however was death as the Ioudaioi showed their worth.

With his right flank engaged, Ptoleamaios ordered his left and centre to engage the rest of the enemy line.

The battle was a stalemate for the next hour or so, until Ptolemaios himself was able to flank the enemy army, driving off Phrygikou and the rest of his cavalry then charging into the rear of the Seleukid phalanx. Soon the entire army was in full rout.”

With this victory Ptolemaios proved that he was as able a general as his father before him. Following the battle he exited the city and marched his army to the north. Leaving a man from the local nobility as ruler in his stead. This man, Antigenes Kleopatrites, would be the semi-autonomous ruler of Syria.

For the rest of the year Ptolemaios guarded the main road to Antiocheia, a bridge over the Euphrates to the north. No attack came however as the Seleukid forces obviously made wary by the victory outside Antiocheia earlier in the year. During this time Ptolemaios' army was reinforced. Some Toxotai Kretikoi (Kretan archers) were also recruited. These men were renowned for their abilities and highly sought after by all the major Mediterranien powers.

As the 20th year of Ptolemaios II Philadelphos dawned, his first grand-child was born. A girl by the name of Eubiota. Her father Lysimachos was still in Alexandria finishing his education at this time. Berenike, daughter of Philadelphos also married a man named Pyrrhos Andriakeios. However not all was good news for Ptolemaios in this year. A Seleukid army had managed to sneak by his force during the night and was now approaching Koile-Syria. Ptolemaios moved to engage this army. Phillipos once again told his experiences of the battle.

“We were camped to the north of Antiocheia guarding the river crossing when worded reached us that there was a Seleukid force to the south-east. Soon we were in pursuit of this army, the Basileus driving us hard as we tried to make up the ground the enemy had gained on us during the night. Realising we would catch them the enemy general turned to fight. He must have been confident in his numerical superiority, but we were being led by a great general. On the eve of the battle, Ptolemaios' son-in-law joined our force at the head of 1000 Prodromoi.

The next day battle was joined. Our force waited patiently on the enemy to advance but they seemed content to wait for us at the extreme range of our Toxotai.

After a few volleys the order to advance was sounded, the terrain made it difficult for us to keep a cohesive formation. The enemy were obviously eager to die however as they too advanced. Trying to probe our line for weakness. Battle was joined on our left and in the centre. Two things made me think the enemy general was a fool. Firstly he had left the majority of his army in reserve and secondly he had strayed to within range of our Toxotai. Volley after volley rained down around him, slaying many of his bodyguard and wounding him.

In the centre the fighting was fairly routine and the enemy were soon retreating. However on the left the enemy were proving to be a tougher. Amongst those fighting against our forces here were a contingent of men fighting in the old Hoplitai style. They were holding back the Ioudaioi with ease until the Galatikoi flanked them and drove them from the field.

With this initial encounter resolved we once again advanced on the enemy. This time the enemy general ordered his full force to face us and our full line was engaged in fighting. On our left our Galaikoi came up against some of their own kind.

The fighting was hard in the centre as were up against enemy Phalangitai. But on the left the fight was going much better. The Galakitoi were able to drive their foe away then they started moving towards the centre ready to flank the Babylonian Spearmen who were causing our Thureophoroi such a problem. As this was happening the Gallic mercenaries fighting our forces on the right were also driven away, allowing Pyrrhos to lead his cavalry round to the flank of the enemy formation in an attempt to bring the enemy cavalry into a fight. They never took the bait however, instead choosing to commit all forces to the fight in the centre, including their cavalry.

This charge caused us minor problems but soon it was halted and Pyrrhos began moving his cavalry into the centre to flank the enemy phalanx. But he was halted by the enemies Gallic cavalry

With the majority of his force retreating the enemy general fled the field. Pursued by Pyrrhos and his cavalry. The enemy camp was captured after the battle and Ptolemaios shared the spoils with the men. He is known to be a generous man.

With all Seleukid forces in Syria defeated, Ptolemaios was able to free the prisoners in Antiocheia as promised, he also returns the army to its previous position, guarding the river crossing to the north of the city.

Timeline of this period:

264 BC

Spring ~ Aristonike, 3rd daughter of Karpion Soter is born.
    ~ Euergetes moves to Sidon
    ~ Antiocheia surrenders to Ptolemaios II

Summer ~ Ptolemaios defeats Seron Thermisoniou Phrygikou outside Antiocheia

Winter ~ Teiseas Philoterias is born.
    ~ Antigenes Kleopatrites named ruler of Syria.

263 BC

Spring ~ Alexandros Thraikikos marries Nefertiti
    ~ Eubiota, daughter of Lysimachos born.

Summer ~ Pyrrhos Andriakeios marries Berenike.
    ~ Ptolemaios II defeats a Seleukid force led by Hermokrates Iopoleod Syriakes.

Winter ~ Euergetes marries Niko.

The known world 262 BC:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the delay guys

Well done, I'm liking it!

Influence:

Fantastic update, can't wait for the next one!
    Non omnis moriar

Nice work. I meant to comment earlier, but I forgot. I find a ptolemic aar is a refreshing poinyt of view, as I've never really played as them, (I play AS instead). Anyways, I hope you update soon.

4x
    1x

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roka View Post

Sorry about the delay guys
    I don't think anybody minds a delay when the updates are so good. That looks like a well organised AS army you came up against, which .exe are you using? Any formation mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Molinaargh View Post
    Well done, I'm liking it!
    Thanks, I'm really enjoying the campaign myself, never played as the Ptolies before.

Fantastic update, can't wait for the next one!
    I'm not sure when the next update will be, the domestic football season starts tomorrow so I imagine i'll be pretty drunk this time tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    Nice work. I meant to comment earlier, but I forgot. I find a ptolemic aar is a refreshing poinyt of view, as I've never really played as them, (I play AS instead). Anyways, I hope you update soon.
    Yeah, i usually play as AS or Makedonia myself. Never played the Ptolies before starting this AAR, but the tactics etc. are pretty similar so the learning curve wasn't too steep.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I don't think anybody minds a delay when the updates are so good. That looks like a well organised AS army you came up against, which .exe are you using? Any formation mods?
    I'm using Alex.exe and i'm also using the mini-mod pack, i'm pretty sure there's a formations mod in that.

@ everyone, thanks for the comments, they are all appreciated

Hi everyone, sorry for the long period of inactivity, RL has thrown a couple of spanners into the works and lately have found it hard to motivate myself to do anything nevermind update my AAR.

After a few weeks and copious amounts of alcohol I will be continuing this at some point over the next few days.

Thanks for reading, Roka.

Take your time, but please continue this!
    Non omnis moriar

Chapter IV
    The End of the First Syrian War

262-260 BC

As the 21st year of Ptolemaios II's reign begins (262 BC) the Basileus/Pharaoh is preparing his army to march on Damaskos for the 3rd time, hoping to finally bring it under his control. His daughter Berenike, wife of his trusted general Pyrrhos Andriakeios, gave birth to a girl named Stratonike. According to popular belief the invasion of Koile-Syria was delayed for a year so that Pyrrhos could spend time with his first-born child. The rest of the year was spent in Syria with occasional raids being launched into the neighbouring Seleukid province.

As his 22nd year as Basileus began Ptolemaios was ready to march on Damaskos for the third and final time. However a spanner was thrown in the works once again when Karpion Soter, governor of Alexandreia and Dioiketes of the Ptolemaic Kingdom died. This left Philadelphos with a difficult decision to make. Should he appoint another man as governor of Alexandreia which would also mean he would be practically running the kingdom? Or should he appoint another man as leader of the expedition to Damaskos? Eventually he decided that his son Lysimachos should govern Alexandreia, also making him the Satrap of Aigyptoiu. With this obstacle overcame the invasion of Koile-Syria could commence.

Ptolemaios marched his army into Koile-Syria in late autumn, but was unable to draw the Seleukid forces into battle until winter when he faced the combined armies of Seron Thermisonou Pheygikou and Kallimandros Kybiosaktes. A Ptolemaic soldier known only as Patrokles recorded the battle. This account was found in the great library of Alexandreia.

“We awoke on the morning of the battle to find the ground was covered in snow. The snow reminded me of when my father used to take my up into the mountains hunting when I was a youth. If he could see me now, riding in the Prodromoi of Ptolemaios II. The order to advance was given and the whole army moved as one.

According to Pyrrhos the hammer and anvil tactics of Megos Alexandros would be used in this battle. The line had only advanced a short distance when the army under the command of the general called Phyrgikou advanced down the slop to meet us. Evidently there had been some sort of disagreement between the two enemy commanders as the other army held its position.

Once their comrades started dying however they had no choice but to come to the rescue. With both enemy armies attacking our line the battle became viscous. We waited for the better part of an hour as the fight carried on ahead of us. Eventually Pyrrhos raised his sword and ordered us to ride to the extreme right of the enemy line and turn it's flank. We chased away the enemy Sphendonetai and lined up to charge into the rear of the enemy line. Seeing the danger the enemy general known as Kallimandros led his cavalry up the slope against us hoping to pin us long enough for the rest of the Seleukid cavalry to engage us. His plan backfired however as he was pierced by the lance of one of my comrades in the Prodromoi in the initial stages of the fight. Unfortunately the man who killed him was cut down shortly afterwards.

With one of their leaders dead and cavalry harassing their rear the enemy army decided to flee. Unfortunately we were unable to run down the other leader of the enemy force and rumour has it he is seeking refuge in the hills around Damaskos. With no armies left in our way and the garrison of Damaskos scattered around the countryside we entered the city the next day and were greeted as liberators.”

With Damaskos finally under his control Ptolemaios decided to seek an end to hostilities with the Arche Seleukia. With Ptolemaios almost completely cutting him off from the Mediterranean the Seleukid king agreed and in the summer of 260 BC the First Syrian War ended. With the increased territories gained in this time and also the trade that would now flow between Ptolemaic and Seleukid lands the Ptolemaioi flourished at this time.

Timeline of this Period~

262 BC

Spring
    • Zenon Philoterios born
    • Stratonike, daughter of Pyrrhos born.

261 BC

Spring
    • Karpion Soter passes away
    • Charias Ptoleamaios, son of Euergetes is born.

Summer/Autumn
    • Ptoleamios once again marches on Damaskos.

Winter
    • Ptolemaios II defeats the combined armies of Seron Thermisonou Phrygikou and Kallimandros Kybiosaktes.
    • The people of Damaskos welcome Ptolemaios' army into the city
    • Phanagoras Thraikikos, son of Alexandros born.

260 BC

Summer
    • Chairas Andriakeios is born
    • First Syrian War ends

Autumn
    • Kleaineth, daughter of Sosandros born
    • Tyrphania, daughter of Leontiskos born

The known world at the end of 260 BC

Nice! I like it.
    Non omnis moriar

Nice! I like it.
    thanks, the next update will be another short-ish one up in the next few days

Did I see classical hoplites in phalanx formation?
    Μηδεν εωρακεναι φoβερωτερον και δεινοτερον φαλλαγγος μακεδονικης

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    Did I see classical hoplites in phalanx formation?

this screeny here?

after a long EB absence i will be continuing this AAR, expect a new chapter sometime in the next week.

however i fear that I have lost the notes i took between my last update and the current game date....

i'll just give a brief overview of this period if that is the case

I'm looking forward to it.
    Non omnis moriar

Here's the situation, I am missing notes for the first two years after the last update. However I have been able to figure out who was born in this period by checking ages against the current date. I then have a period between 257 and 255 were I have notes but no screenshots, so the next chapter will be shorter as I can't use the screenshots to flesh it out a bit, sorry.

Anyway, next chapter will be up tonight at some point.

Chapter V
    The “Peace” Years
    259-255 BC

After 23 years of being a Basileus/general Ptolemaios II, decided to pass chief control of his armies to his son-in-law Pyrrhos. It is commonly believed that a combination of pressure from his daughter and a genuine respect for his son-in-law contributed greatly to this decision. Upon taking control of the principal army of the Ptolemaioi Pyrrhos started recruiting great numbers of Galatians having been impressed by their skill, courage and ferocity in previous battles. This would have varied consequences in later years as the armies began to rely on steadily decreasing numbers of Jews for their auxiliary troops.

Staying in the area of Ioudaia while he recruited his army Pyrrhos drew up plans for an invasion of the region of Sinai. The region was depicted as a centre for both banditry and piracy and this was used as the reason for the invasion. However many philosophers argued the point that a discovery of copper had recently been made in the region and that the local king was unwilling to trade with Ptolemaios.

In this period many building projects were completed including mines in Kilikia and a river port a short distance from the town of Pselkis in the province of Triakontaschoinos.

In the spring of 256 BC Pyrrhos crossed the border between Ioudaia and Sinai at the head of his new-look army. Advancing on Petra the seat of power of Hayu, King of the Maranitoe, Pyrrhos ordered his army to surround the town and dig in for a long siege, despite the fact that the town was unfortified. After a failed attempt to break the siege Hayu also settled in for the long haul. The siege continued for over a year until in the summer of 255 BC a decisivie battle was fought. An unknown historian said this of the battle:

“The army of Ptolemaios, under the command of his son-in-law Pyrrhos lined up in the plain before the town. The Maranitoe King formed his men up facing the invaders. Many of his men were levied and had little experience of warfare whereas the army of Pyrrhos was made of a semi-professional core of Phalangitai, supported by wild Galatikoi. The majority of his army were veterans of the war against the Seleukid King.

Hayu was said to have been a learned man and he had studied the campaigns of Alexandros. Therefore he realised that the key to defeating the hammer and anvil tactics used by Alexandros and his Diodachoi was to turn the hammer whilst smashing the anvil. He tried to tie down the flanks of Pyrrhos' army while breaking through the centre.

After a brief exchange of missile fire the main battle lines clashed. In the centre of Pyrrhos' line the bulk of the Maranitoe infantry attacked while a smaller force under Hayu's son attacked the left. Hayu himself led his cavalry and the smallest of his three infantry groups towards the left flank. The battle remained at a stalemate for a long time as the Maranitoe cavalry were able to inflict terrible losses on the Ioudaioi fighting there. Seeing the danger of the fighting in the centre Pyrrhos had previously moved infantry from his left flank to reinforce the centre and had ordered his Prodromoi to the left. Outnumbered by the enemy his cavalry were driven back and would have been crushed had it not been for a brave charge by the general into the flanks of the engaged Maranitoe cavalry, locking horns with and defeating Hayu in single combat.

Seeing their king die the Maranitoe closest to were he fell threw down their weapons. Soon this gesture was repeated all across the battlefield and only small pockets of fighting remained, the largest of these centring around the son of Hayu and his bodyguards, however he was struck down and the remainder of his bodyguard also surrendered.”

With Petra now in Ptolemaic hands work was began to extract the mineral resources of the region to increase the wealth of the Ptolemaioi.

Timeline of this Period:~

259 BC

• Philista, daughter of Alexandros Thraikikos born.
    • Skyllinos, son of Euergetes born

258 BC

• Terpnos Ptolemaios, son of Meleagros travels to Alexandria to study

257 BC

Summer
    • Philotera, widow of Menelaos Salaminios dies

Autumn
    • Mines completed in Kilikia

Winter
    • River port opened in Triakontaschanos

256 BC
    • Pyrrhos crosses into Sinai and besieges Petra