Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of religion

Default Freedom of religion

http://www.webcitation.org/5evC3axq6
    Now that the father has followed the mother in being convicted of homicide is this really a case of people being punished for the "crime of praying" ?

Default Re: Freedom of religion

A terrible shame that a little lass had to die because of ignorance. I predict this thread gets locked before dinner.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Angry Re: Freedom of religion

We have incidents like that as well in the bible-belt, people refusing to give their children certain vaccinations, really difficult subject to me, to force or not to force.

Blog Entries

it was an act of willful neglect, and I hope they throw the book at the both of them.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi View Post
    it was an act of willful neglect, and I hope they throw the book at the both of them.
    They already did. Rightfully so, I think.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Angry Re: Freedom of religion

scuzi doublepost, safari sucks so badly every time I have made a comment it asks me to send back form.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-02-2009 at 10:42.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vaccinations are far different, to me. This is scorning medical help for a sick child, because you think praying will save them, instead of medical attention. It goes against the principle of not testing God, and of preserving life as best you can.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A definite Darwin Award. I already feel the gene-pool is cleaner.

I've had some in who didn't give their children a vaccine against Measles and wanted to know the signs. I basically said I'd never seen Measles in my medical career - but they'd made this choice, right?

It's not what I'd do, but yes, this is freedom of religion.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    A definite Darwin Award. I already feel the gene-pool is cleaner.

I've had some in who didn't give their children a vaccine against Measles and wanted to know the signs. I basically said I'd never seen Measles in my medical career - but they'd made this choice, right?

It's not what I'd do, but yes, this is freedom of religion.

This is area is a little hazy in the legal department; you're definitely right that this was the Parent's choice in maintaining their right to freedom of religion, but the same logic may not always apply to their children, and tragically usually only brought to the Legal System's attention after an easily preventable death has occurred.

I don't know how the law works in the taliban states, however, over where I am the parents would probably get locked up in some psychiatric ward...

Def a darwin award candidate...

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Who 'owns' the child - parent or State?

When does a child cease being a child, a second-class citizen, and become a 1st class citizen, for who's life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, the State has the stated obligation to protect?

If a woman has a right to an abortion, how is this case different? Because the child is outside the womb, instead of inside?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

It's almost the equivalent of pushing your child out of an airplane and praying that God will save them, "because I don't trust parachutes. Parachutes aren't God."
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Who 'owns' the child - parent or State?

When does a child cease being a child, a second-class citizen, and become a 1st class citizen, for who's life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, the State has the stated obligation to protect?

If a woman has a right to an abortion, how is this case different? Because the child is outside the womb, instead of inside?

State has a responcibility for children aswell as adults.

And I can't believe you have the guts to equal this to having an abortion...

That is just disgusting.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Absolutely freedom of religion. Wouldn't be what I'd do to my kid, but it's horrifying that the government can prosecute this...

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    State has a responcibility for children aswell as adults.

And I can't believe you have the guts to equal this to having an abortion...

That is just disgusting.
    I didn't equate them, I asked a question. However, following your accusation: in both cases we're talking about the preventable death of a human under the age of 18. You assert that "State has a responcibility for children aswell as adults. ".

I think I agree.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Kukrikhan, not everyone agress with your view of a fetus being a human. But please dont troll this into an abortion debate.

ON TOPIC: I think ATPG described it best...

I mean, IF we give religious nutjobs the right to do whatever they want with their kids, what keeps parents from, say, stoning their openly gay son to death?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    ON TOPIC: I think ATPG described it best...

I mean, IF we give religious nutjobs the right to do whatever they want with their kids, what keeps parents from, say, stoning their openly gay son to death?
    Both analogies fail tremendously. For the first it would only have a point if the parents actually intentionally gave their kid diabetes.

For the second, well

It's better likened it to this case:

If parents with a sick child and two treatment options are available, and the parents choose one of them as they believe with firm conviction that it will help, and it does not help, do you prosecute for negligence and endangerment.

Science is having to much influence on a free society...
    Last edited by Reenk Roink; 08-02-2009 at 16:17.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Absolutely freedom of religion. Wouldn't be what I'd do to my kid, but it's horrifying that the government can prosecute this...
    Well, like the old saying goes, "Pray to God but row for shore." This family missed the "row for shore" part.

The government has no business telling people what faith they can practice or what they may believe, but certain minimum standards of health and safety have to be applied and enforced. If my religion says that the only way I can reach salvation is to sacrifice babies to Cthulhu, should be be excused from a murder rap when I'm caught with a dripping knife and body parts? What if my religion preaches that I may rape underage girls, or steal other people's property?

The law was applied correctly in this case, and if the parents are true believers, they are free to declare themselves martyrs to the one true God. We've sent Quakers to prison for refusing to fight in wars, and we're prosecuted fundamentalist Mormons for marrying little girls. They're free to believe as they like, but when their actions cross the lines into illegal activity, the State does what it must.

Kukri, it's not a question of who owns a child, but rather what is legal versus illegal. Conflating the reckless homicide of a 10-year-old girl with abortion does nothing to clarify the issue, and only muddies the water. (And did some part of your soul feel starved for yet another abortion thread?)

Both analogies fail tremendously. For the first it would only have a point if the parents actually intentionally gave their kid diabetes.

For the second, well

If parents with a sick child and two treatment options are available, and the parents choose one of them as they believe with firm conviction that it will help, and it does not help, do you prosecute for negligence and endangerment.

Your not seriously trying to compare emploring a mythological diety (that doesn't exist) vs. a shot of insulin as a real choice?

And all freedoms have limits. Freedom of religion ends when it starts to impede the health and well being of others.
    Last edited by lars573; 08-02-2009 at 16:29.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Well, like the old saying goes, "Pray to God but row for shore." This family missed the "row for shore" part.

The government has no business telling people what faith they can practice or what they may believe, but certain minimum standards of health and safety have to be applied and enforced. If my religion says that the only way I can reach salvation is to sacrifice babies to Cthulhu, should be be excused from a murder rap when I'm caught with a dripping knife and body parts? What if my religion preaches that I may rape underage girls, or steal other people's property?

The law was applied correctly in this case, and if the parents are true believers, they are free to declare themselves martyrs to the one true God. We've sent Quakers to prison for refusing to fight in wars, and we're prosecuted fundamentalist Mormons for marrying little girls. They're free to believe as they like, but when their actions cross the lines into illegal activity, the State does what it must.
    I fully agree with the first part. As far as I know most mainstream positions in all major religions, even those espousing absolute determinism and predestination, expect and even require people to do the "rowing for the shore" part. Heck, reading the positions of the occasionalist theologians (people who denied natural cause and effect in lieu of God's direct cause in EVERYTHING) these people say you should row for the shore.

For the second part, again, it's a matter of the case. This isn't a case of infringing on others rights, at least not in my view, as I take the position that the parent 'owns' the child more than the state.

As for the the actual law, you are probably right. I've heard of many of those blood transfusion cases (a lot of JW about 50 miles from me) and the judge always goes against the JW parents.

This despite the law mentioned in the article:

Under current Wisconsin law, a parent cannot be convicted of child abuse or negligent homicide if they can prove they genuinely believed that calling God, instead of a doctor, was the best option available for their child. The law is part of the legacy of the 1996 Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, which included a landmark exemption for parents who do not seek medical care for their children for religious purposes. While all states give social service authorities the right to intervene in cases of child neglect, criminal codes in 29 other states also provide additional protection for parents who forgo mainstream medical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Your not seriously trying to compare emploring a mythological diety (that doesn't exist) vs. a shot of insulin as a real choice?
    Hell yeah I am. If it wouldn't be so off topic, I'd love to see the position challenged on epistemic grounds. Change my mind.
    Last edited by Reenk Roink; 08-02-2009 at 16:31.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

For the second, well

Yes, there's freedom of religion, but sometimes one's religion can interfere with the rules which are valid in a society.

This child was in need of help and there exists a known cure that would have saved her life. It's a conflict situation between freedom of religion and saving a human life and the rules of society deem the latter more important (and rightfully so, imo).

In an organised society, "freedom" can never be absolute. It's inevitable that values sometimes conflict and then one value has to take prevalence over the other.

Society deems human life more important than freedom of religion.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Those of you getting primed up for this debate, I warn you:

You won't change each other's minds. Those who already put their trust in God won't have their opinion turned aside with mere words. Certainly not secular logic or scientific arguments or even appeals to common sense, because they are already arguing the parents have a right to let their children die without medical intervention and they see nothing wrong with it. Your logic melts in the face of that. Those who put their trust in science won't be turned away from it with a religious argument, because it already holds no weight because it isn't based in anything they consider reality.

You're just going to aggravate yourselves, and take it out on one another. I offered my opinion, but I won't be here for the debate.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-02-2009 at 16:40.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post

Kukri, it's not a question of who owns a child, but rather what is legal versus illegal. Conflating the reckless homicide of a 10-year-old girl with abortion does nothing to clarify the issue, and only muddies the water. (And did some part of your soul feel starved for yet another abortion thread?)
    While I appreciate your practical point, I think your arguement has a huge theoretical hole. Where does the State's Law aquire it's authority?

In order for the State to exercise legal authority it requires a moral authority. In an ideal world the Law of the State perfectly reflects Perfect Moral (Divine) Law. In the US as elsewhere the Law was once considered to be man's best attempt to reflect and administer God's ideal justice.

Total freedom of religion means total equality between religions, which strips the Law of the moral authority it needs to operate as Justice. If there are competing moralities then the Law will offend one while adhering to another. I think you reveal your own morality in your opening statement as "God helps those who help themselves".

So, I respectfully submit that your position owes itself to the belief that these people have offended God and therefore are morally wrong.

For the record, I don't believe in Freedom of Religion, I believe in tollerance and forgiveness because that is what my religion teaches.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

If I were to actually believe in any sort of creation myth. It would be Stargate-ism.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Well, our state (USA) derives it's authority from the people. If the majority of people shared religious beliefs as this denomination, than it would probably be a non issue at the moment.

What I find interesting is that on the face of it (there's probably tons of legislation I'm unaware of), the parents are protected in this case. However, then again, similar states have similar clauses, and yet these cases always turn against the parents...

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post

You won't change each other's minds. Those who already put their trust in God won't have their opinion turned aside with mere words. Certainly not secular logic or scientific arguments or even appeals to common sense, because they are already arguing the parents have a right to let their children die without medical intervention and they see nothing wrong with it. Your logic melts in the face of that. Those who put their trust in science won't be turned away from it with a religious argument, because it already holds no weight because it isn't based in anything they consider reality.

You're just going to aggravate yourselves, and take it out on one another. I offered my opinion, but I won't be here for the debate.
    humm, what he said...

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Very true, but yet, if the police officers know about that before, they could just bust in their house and carry that girl to hospital.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Very true, but yet, if the police officers know about that before, they could just bust in their house and carry that girl to hospital.
    The state already has the right to take away abused or neglected children. I've seen many examples where this is a good thing. I am sure there are examples where this is a bad thing. But on the whole I believe it is correct and more just for the children of abusive or neglectful parents. Others disagree on religious grounds, as they are free to do. We settle it by voting.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

To be fair, they did not do anything 'morally' wrong (unless they were using their child to test God, I wonder if they would have done the same if it was themselves on the deathbed?). However, in doing what they did they denied their daughter the basic healthcare which the law demands that she should get. It is not ideal that their religious freedoms come into conflict with (very basic) secular ground-rules, but at the end of the day we need those rules for practical purposes. So it's tough luck for the parents, they have to be prosecuted. Maybe the sentence should be reduced considering their intentions, that could be debated.

Although not strictly relevant, going by the religion they claim follow, they don't really have anything to complain about. They should not have put God to the test (Luke 4:12), they should not have broken the laws of the land (Romans 13:1), and they should rejoice in being punished for their faith by secular authorities (Matthew 5:10).
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

This is a really slimy strawman: "they are already arguing the parents have a right to let their children die without medical intervention and they see nothing wrong with it"

If you read the article or the positions of those who argued against this position, they certainly aren't arguing what you claim they are.

They are quite clearly arguing their legal right under the Wisconsin legislation:

...a parent cannot be convicted of child abuse or negligent homicide if they can prove they genuinely believed that calling God, instead of a doctor, was the best option available for their child
    The options were certainly not "let kid die" or "go to doctor" in these parents eyes. If you believe that praying for the kid is equal to letting him die, than you have some dogmatic baggage you're already bringing in which you pointed out that the "religious" had.

What is "secular" logic? Logic is a set of rules concerned with the structure of statements.

Lastly this is not a "science vs religion" thing, as it is a issue concerning states rights and parents rights as well as the scope of the freedom of religion clause. Science does play a part in it, but in an unrelated way (how much influence should science have on public policy in a free society? too much imo right now, it should be banished out to the extent of religion, only being a suggesting factor in legislation, not being the basis of it).

Lastly it should be discussed. Despite peoples minds being changed or not, it gets you thinking. Andres post here was quite (though not totally) convincing to me:

This child was in need of help and there exists a known cure that would have saved her life. It's a conflict situation between freedom of religion and saving a human life and the rules of society deem the latter more important (and rightfully so, imo).

In an organised society, "freedom" can never be absolute. It's inevitable that values sometimes conflict and then one value has to take prevalence over the other.
    Good stuff to get you thinking on the nature of a free society and what it means...
    Last edited by Reenk Roink; 08-02-2009 at 17:27.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast