Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Romani

Default Re: Preview: The Romani

Quote Originally Posted by Puupertti Ruma View Post
    One question: if you have most of your FMs at Rome, will there be some benefits from this...
    Not really. But in testing so far, Rome doesn't get terribly overcrowded. Only the praetor urbanus, aediles, and plebeian tribunes need to be in Rome, though there may be an influx of the next year's office seekers arriving toward the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupertti Ruma View Post
    Also, if not so, can a new appointed consul somehow travel faster to his province of choice?
    An EB member suggested this some time ago. We have not yet decided to do it. We currently compensate for (normal) slow movement by automatically extending the consul's imperium for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanoeman View Post
    do characters have to be present in Rome or in the current capital of the empire?
    Currently the system requires them to be in Rome. We've considered the possibility of holding elections in the capital, but haven't determined if it's feasible yet. We see no real need to change it: the AI doesn't have the same restrictions as the player, and the player should never really lose Rome. However, if we can make it work without too much trouble, we will.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

V - Helmets:
    -Top 8 belong to Triarii or a equestrian unit. Though if the Italo-Corinthian helmet is for the officer, then it would probably be Principes.
    -Bottom 5 belong to one of the Italian allied units. If its one from EBI, it might be Pedites Extraordinarii since Samnites would probably use a similar combo to the Romans ones. Its clearly a heavily greek influenced unit. Perhaps some sort of Italian Hoplite.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Was the iberian sword really adopted by romans during the camillan period?

As for my guesses

I. I'd go for Equites

IV. I don't know much bout their names. My guesses would be, the first one goes to Equites, second one goes to Hastati and third goes to Rorarii

V. I'd go for Principes for the top left set and bottom right to Triarii

Wild guesses, but that's better than not trying i guess.

since i kinda want people to see the bonus pic, i'll point out that you haven't gotten the first question right. y'all also haven't *quite* identified the first sword, and i could be wrong, but i don't think we've seen question 5 answered correctly yet.

edit: might have taken too long making this post...2 minutes too long
    Last edited by paullus; 08-15-2009 at 05:11.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Someone already said the Xiphos for the top one. Its not a gladius hispanicus since they weren't in Spain yet... That leaves a Celtic Sword - the only thing I can see as eluding to that is the concave hilt... Dunno any names for the thing though. The gladius deisgns end up with a flat semi-circle hilt.

One of these:

The second one looks more like a Makhaira than a Kopis because of how the blade flairs out at the hilt rather than narrow. But they are both fairly similar.

The bottom one is definitely a xiphos.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 08-15-2009 at 05:34.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

for question 5 i'd say the upper helmets belong to the Samnite Milites and the lower ones to the trarii.

All hail the EB team!
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

Some questions abot the preview
    1. You say that the coloniea will allow the recriutment of factional troops, will this just be limited to italia?
    2. what will govern when we could build one? is it like the guild buildings in M2TW?
    it will also become necessary to build them in order to continue recruiting factional troops from any source.
    not sure what this sentence is saying, does it just mean that come the marian reforms we have to build them to get marian troops?
    4. Will the SPQR's city state religion change when the imperial reforms happen?

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Ah, great work on the city models! I love 'em!
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

I can´t believe how awesome will be this mod, the level of detail and care of every aspect is just ashtounding. Amazing, as usual.

All hail the EB team.

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

I: the helmets perhaps belong to Eqvites Extraordinarii - richly ornamented, most notably Attico-Phrygian, I think I saw it as historical source for italic unit in other mod.

Excellent preview
    I appreciate proconsul and propraetor offices, they will allow a FM to keep command over legions if his consul or praetor title expires. Very good move.
    Thus I do not support accellerating movement points to Rome for elections, at least not for beta.

As for coloniae my guessing is they will be represented by PSF.

As for cities I hope no more obligatory wooden walls, besides - will all the cities look in the battle map in that simple manner with 2 main streets crossing in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    1. You say that the coloniea will allow the recriutment of factional troops, will this just be limited to italia?
    No. The Romans colonized Narbo Martius in 114 BC, so we would certainly allow them to be built in southern Gaul. Ideally, we'd set no restrictions but make it advantageous to colonize Italy before doing so elsewhere.
    2. what will govern when we could build one?
    Just the passage of time. A colony building or upgrade would be available roughly every five years.
    3. ...does it just mean that come the marian reforms we have to build them to get marian troops?
    You'll need to build coloniae militares in proportion to the number of Marian troops you recruit or recruitment will be turned off until you build more military colonies.
    4. Will the SPQR's city state religion change when the imperial reforms happen?
    No.
    Last edited by Atilius; 08-15-2009 at 12:31.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

The first post talks about there being many (did I see the word dozens somewhere?) people for each job. How does this work? Does the number increase as the empire expands? Or did I misread and it will only ever have one praetor, 1 consul, etc. at a time, or can I have 2 consuls, multiple praetors, etc. at the same time as per history?

I just wonder what stops you from swimming in people with offices when i only have Italia, and then how do I manage if I only have like 3 guys with Imperium (which could well expire) when i control their historic empire? I just wonder at the triggers/traits you use to control this.

All this realism makes my micro-management nerves cry. But even so, looks good. I love new updates.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    and then how do I manage if I only have like 3 guys with Imperium (which could well expire) when i control their historic empire?
    It was said, that they get penalty when attacking, not defending, so perhaps it allows you to deffend, but slows your expansion.

my balloons

So, to put it short:

Only the characters with "Imperium" can command armies at all? (except getting heavy penalties)
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Thank you for the hard work i hope you'll keep doing it Roma Aeterna

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Does the number increase as the empire expands? Or did I misread and it will only ever have one praetor, 1 consul, etc. at a time, or can I have 2 consuls, multiple praetors, etc. at the same time as per history?
    You will never have more than two consuls. Early in the game you'll have no more than one praetor. As you expand you'll get more praetors, and characters whose terms as praetor and consul expire will retain the Imperium for several more years as propraetor or proconsul.

Quote Originally Posted by Christianus View Post
    Only the characters with "Imperium" can command armies at all? (except getting heavy penalties)
    Only the characters with the Imperium can attack without penalties.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Congratulations to everyone that tried their luck answering these questions. No one has answered all five correctly, but thanks to Elzeda, antisocialmunky, Andronikos and Alsatia, who were the first to answer the questions correctly, the prize will be given to the .org community.

Special congratulations are due for Elzeda, with 2 questions correctly answered, and Alsatia with 3. Antisocialmunky deserves a special recongnition, since he was the only one that answered question II correctly and with the precision requiered.

Here's your prize:

The Equites Romani (Camilian):

And part of his equipment:

Credits to Martelus Flavius for the equites render and for the equipment screen.

That is a gorgeous unit. The attention to detail is just really top-notch.

How many face/body/helmet/shield variations can we expect with this unit out of curiosity?

Read The House of Seleukos: The History of the Arche Seleukeia
    for an in-depth and fascinating history of the heirs of Seleukos Nikator.

A very nice unit! The Italian Bronze armour is pretty interesting, this difercity will really make things look better.

Thanks guys. Who did the facial modelling/texture? Its absolutely great.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 08-16-2009 at 01:30.

Now that just made my day !

Triple cheers to the EB team !
    Awesome job as always

Martelus did it, and he's brilliantly good with faces--that guy just looks like a hardened Roman. You should also see the face models that have recently been created, suffice to say they feature unparalleled detail.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

I estimate that the shield he is holding is 60-70 centimeters in diameter.
    Last edited by Azathoth; 08-16-2009 at 04:31.

Prodigy of Paarthurnax Member Skooma Addict's Avatar

Excellent preview as always. The EB team has just made waiting for this mod even more painful. >_<

Thumbs up Re: Preview: The Romani

Great work, can't wait to see more just like all of us... Maybe a video of the Romani would do in the next update. ;-)

Kepp up the good job!!!

Etienne

Quote Originally Posted by socal_infidel View Post

How many face/body/helmet/shield variations can we expect with this unit out of curiosity?
    Martelus could tell you exactly, but I can say that he took the diversity aspect to an high level, so it will be very hard to see 2 exactly looking Equites in the same battle, even if you have hundreds of them.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Whoah, this unit is...coolness personified!
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Is that tunic dyed green or merely undyed cloth with a greenish tinge? Just asking because the current Camillan units all seem to have grey-white undyed wool tunics.

Distille pas que du doute... Member Martelus Flavius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by socal_infidel View Post

Variations are expressed via the following equation :

2c*5a*5[heads]*2[Footwear]*6b*2[Swords]*4[Shields] = 4800 possible combinations.

And thanks guys! Glad you like him!

Regards

Martelvs

Cohors Reformata Mini Mod for EB 1.1

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast