Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle Reports Thread: King of the Franks game

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Default Re: Battle Reports Thread: King of the Franks game

Placeholder for the battle of Nottingham, 1108
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

1108: Shrewsburry-upon-Tyne:

Llewellyn spat through a gap in his teeth, a dark glint in his eyes: "That's some bloody fine English blokes you got there, M'lord. Some bloody fine English blokes. They're more than you, they're better armed than you, they're better armed than my lads for sure. It's gonna be a bloody battle I tell you that."

"Don't worry Mister Bowen. Just stand your ground." Turning away from the Welsh Mercenary Captain Simon speaks to an Armoured Frenchman. "Ludovic, I'm counting on you to hold the line. Your Sergeants will be the main line. Use the Welsh as you see fit, but remember that you have to hold the line at all costs. I will take our Knights and try to meet with Prince John."

Ludovic nods with a precies movement of his head. He was a veteran of many battles and had fought under the Kings command throughout the recent campaign in England. He had seen the men of the Order fight alongside the King, but this was the first time they were actually in charge. And if it weren't for their heavily armoured bodyguards the fight would be very hard indeed.

"Oh I'm not worried" Llewellyn put in. "The more that come, the more will die on our spears!"

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The snow covered the countryside like a blanket, only broken by the trees of the forest ahead of him and of course the banners flying from the English lines. They had set up with their backs to one of the forest. Sighing to himself Simon spurs his horse onward. As one the company of Order Knights begins to move. They are all beside him, Hermant Mauvoisin to his right and Alexandre le Sueur with Robert Bouchart behind him.

Simon was riding to the right of his men, which had formed up a staggered line. The front was made up of Spearmen in Shiltron formation while the men behind stood ready for a countercharge.

"Prince John! Prince Henry! Show yourself to battle!" Shouting at the top of his lung Simon rode on, his cavalry slowly passing the English battle line behind which Prince John and his Cavalry were assembled. "Show yourself to battle!" A loud cracking noise broke the silence as a hail of crossbow bolts smashed into Simons bodyguard. Luckily most flew too short but the whinnying of horses told of the hits and one of the Knights was holding his side were blood was pouring through his mail. "Return to the baggage train Brother Jean. It looks like Prince John is hiding behind his soldiers. Let's see if we can bring him out. For Victory, for France!"

Digging in his heels Simon started his charge towards the English line. After the second charge against the Feudal Foot Knights making up their left flank, Prince John finally ordered his cavalry to intercede.

Along with his cousin Henry and half of his Feudal Knights close to a hundred armoured cavalry bore down on the Order company. Forming up their ranks from the last charge they rode against the English. While the English infantry moved towards the French main line, supported by the rest of their Feudal Knights, it was clear that the battle would be decided here.

Patches of snow and dirt flew up as the heavy horses ploughed through the hard ground. Soon the air was filled with the ringing of steel against steel and the shouts of men and horses alike. Simon turned his horse around wildly trying to get the room for one charge, then another, and another, before he was finally bogged down in hand to hand combat, completely cut off from the rest of his retinue.

He turned to his first foe but soon saw himself beset by two Englishmen, his sword arm already tiring. Suddenly the sound of hooves was all around him and he could make out the screams of "Saint Denis!" and "Fleur de Lys!" Several French crashed into the English driving them off decisively. Looking around for his saviour Simon spots Robert Bouchart who has led three of his followers in the charge. "Well done Brother Robert! It's time to find Prince John, who knows how long the Infantry will hold." "I have seen him that way Brother Simon, follow me." Spurring their horses along Simon and Robert made their way back into the thick of battle where Prince John was surrounded by his closest followers.

As he sees the French approaching he raises his lance and points it directly at Robert, readying for a charge. Recognizing the challenge Robert readies his horse and rides forward to meet with Prince John in a deadly clash of steel between the two parties. The impact is brutal and for a second both parties seem stopped dead in their track. Only slowly Simon realizes what happened. Boucharts lance while ripping into the left arm of Prince John was caught between Johns shield and armour, while the Princes lance had neatly slipped in the crack between breastplate and helmet, frontally impaling Robert who slumped dead from his horse.

Without hesitation Simon points his lance at the Prince and charges forward. The acknowledgement from the Prince comes hesitant and with his left arm crippled his defense is too low and can not prevent him from sharing the same fate as Robert Bouchart!

The English General is defeated and the news spreads through the ranks just as the two main lines clash on the horizon.

The countercharge is swift and brutal. Bogged down and disorganized by the Shiltrons the enemy is easy picking for the Welsh and French Spearmen. And once the outcome of the cavalry clash becomes clear the English quickly throw down their arms in surrender.

Wiping the blood from his face where the splinters of a lance had penetrated his visor and scorched his left cheek Simon turns to his infantry commanders. "Mister Bowen, Ludovic you did your job forimdably. You held true until Prince John was defeated. I hear his brother escaped but he refuses to pay ransom for his men. Ludovic release those of noble blood, Mister Bowen take care of the rest!"

Llewellyn spat through a gap in his teeth, a dark gleam in his eyes.

Robert Bouchart used with Northnovas permission.
    Last edited by Ituralde; 10-14-2009 at 06:54.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Default 1110 Battle of Brandenburg Kirche

At a place not far from Magdeburg alone on a barren hill stood Brandenburg Kirche (Church). Here was a battle to take a place on terrain far different from that where Thomas last tasted victoire. Here there was no bridge on which to contain the enemy; it would be battle upon the open field. Almost certainly the weight of numbers would press the stout men under Baron de Saint-Amand more than the last fight, though the Germans here were in fewer numbers.

Thomas deployed what was half a crossbow company to his front, with his own bodyguard positioned directly behind them.

The start of the fighting was a curious spectacle and was harmless enough. Young Captain Godwine of the Reich marched his reduced infantry company alone, into the hail of fire from the crossbows. Did he truely expect to rout his opponent single-handed? The arrogant German charged his men forward, only to be counter-charged by Thomas. It was not long before poor Godwine found himself alone, his men having fled or consumed in the melee.

But while the one foolish captain was floundering, the other was far more capable, bent on breaking the numerically smaller Frankish force. Storming down from the hill, the Germans crashed down on the Frankish militia.

Thomas turned to meet them, but the wily Captain Hans had a trick up his sleeve. He had sent horsemen around from the other side of the church and threatened to fall upon the exposed flank of Thomas. Now a decision had to be made. Where should the Baron position himself? Could the spear milita hold on their own while he dealt with this latest threat? Saint-Amand knew he had no choice. His militia must hold.

“Stand your ground, brave men of the Royaume! They will break upon your wall as a wave upon a rock. Now hold!”

Thomas led his men at full gallop against the German horsemen. Falling upon them, this separate fight was somewhat short. It had to be; Thomas knew he had to bolster the militia before long.

This small German group began to scattered in disarray, but now a new quandary. The fighting was taking Thomas back, away from his milita and worse, his crossbowmen had separated themselves to the point where they were to the rear and at the mercy of a few enemy horsemen who had managed to somehow rally and re-form. Again a choice, likely lose the crossbows or risk the militia. An easier choice to be sure, the battle would be won or lost depending on whether the spearmen held. Thomas left the merenaries to their fate, turning his men and speeding back to his line of infantry.

And hold they did. The Germans indeed broke against the shields of Lorraine’s men.

As one would expect, with the infantry broken, the archers were taking to their heels in short order, with Thomas once again in pursuit. The outcome was indeed resolved.

Again a victory, but at a cost. His crossbowmen had been felled and the militia sorely bloodied.

The tally for the day was another haul of German archers for the Baron of Franconia.

A reward of 1458 florins were to be reaped if the Kaiser would pay the price.

And indeed, the coffers of the Reich were soon depleted by that amount.

His third battle at the head of his troops meant another defeat for the empire he had long fought, but the loss to his own men made the victory a bittersweet one for Thomas.
    Last edited by KnightnDay; 10-29-2009 at 05:09.

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

Default Botersheim Forest

Botersheim Forest – 1108 Summer

*Extracted from the Diary of Prince Henri*

It appeared that Magdeberg had nearly completely emptied and the significant army moved West where we intercepted it at a small village called Botersheim. Mainly forest with a small hill with a windmill on top in the centre of the woodland.

My army, such as it was, was arrayed outside the forest on a low ridge overlooking the tree-line. Under my command were three companies of spears…two of them mercenary…and two ranged companies.

We spotted the enemy far from us, partly hidden in the woodland and their number was significant. I sent my scouts forward to investigate and report and his report was unsettling. The enemy outnumbered us at least 2:1 but their companies contained only archers, crossbowmen and horse!! My main concern was the horse companies, five of them, as we would not be able to withstand a concerted charge from all of those horses. In horse alone they out numbered us!

I advanced my own ranged units, one of archers and one of crossbowmen, forward to investigate the centre of the enemy line. I hoped they would be partially shielded by the windmill and small hill. My mistake was that they were not and immediately the night sky lit up with fire…such was the fusillade that briefly night turned to day. They, obviously, retreated in the face of such fury but not before suffering casualties.

I had to deal with the cavalry threat however. I knew full well that my spearmen would best any archer or crossbowman if they could get within fighting range and I could send them through the forest to do that…but the cavalry would destroy them from the flanks first, which I could not allow.

I set forth with my bodyguard alone once more. We moved out to our left flank, away from the forest and struck at one company of mounted sergeants. After a brief melee they fled, I did not pursue as there was still much work ahead of us. Down the enemies right flank we ranged and managed to defeat four companies of horse! Mounted Sergeants and Mailed Knights fell to my bodyguard but our numbers dwindled swiftly and once there was but five of my guard left I decided we had done all we could to balance the field.

I returned to my lines and ordered the advance on the enemies left flank. My companies advanced from our right, through the forest which provided cover from virtually all arrows and bolts and hit their lines of archers. The melee was swift but decisive. My men prevailed but we worked hard into the night to ensure we captured or killed as many as possible.

Our losses were high still however and I am left with but two near full companies of spear and one half company of archers. Unfortunately both my archers and crossbowmen were caught by two companies of horse in the battle but they defended themselves well enough, however, the crossbowmen lost nearly all their number.

A ransom for 1330 was again refused but those that fled successfully, for we were all exhausted, fled to Hamburg. We march now to that Castle.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Saruman the Wise Member deguerra's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia (but born and bred in Germany)

Brief Placeholder for the Second Battle of Bern.
    Saruman the White
    Chief of the White Council, Lord of Isengard, Protector of Dunland

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Placeholder for the Battle of Nottingham, 1111
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Saruman the Wise Member deguerra's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia (but born and bred in Germany)

Raoul, Lord of Berne surveyed the men under his command. A good number of archers and a good number of mounted men. He preferred having some infantry to fall back on, but it was not to be. He looked to the young Sieur Chretien sitting his horse beside him.

Just then an archer shouted down from the walls:

"They are retreating my Lord, in a disorganized clump!"

Raoul went with his first instictive thought: Charge! The first to be overrun by the French cavalry were the Imperial ballista crew, cut down to the man. Meanwhile, the main force had attempted to reform and tried to keep the French knights at bay with crossbow fire. Again, an instictive thought, again action.

The Imperial crossbows were silenced. Now it was the Bernese turn to open fire. The archers, removed from the walls and augmented by a small force of spearmen, opened fire on the Imperial host. The response was rapid: Two companies of Imperial knights came charging. The first was warded off by the French cavalry and a deadly melee ensued, but the second got through to the archers, who fled in terror. Eventually, Sieur Chretien led his knights into the back of this dangerous foe and drove off the remaining Imperial cavalry.

The remaining imerpials stood no chance. Thrice they charged across the open ground towards the French archers, only to be repulsed by arrows and harried at their flanks by the Raoul, Chretien and their knights. Eventually, the last of them broke and fled, only to be cut down or captured as they ran.

Offers for a ransom were rejected, the remaining Imperial soldiers were rounded up and killed.

Last edited by deguerra; 11-01-2009 at 03:54.
    Saruman the White
    Chief of the White Council, Lord of Isengard, Protector of Dunland

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

Battle of Frankfurt – account dictated by Duncan De Gant, late of the village of Leeds in England.

The enemy had been well scouted before hand by Prince Henri so it was well known to us that the German force was not only one of the largest we had seen but also certainly the most professionally trained and well armed.

Duke Thomas Saint-Amande, Duke of Lorraine and the Prince had gathered as much fighting force that the Duchy could provide and centred them on Frankfurt. Indeed most of the men armed with Spears had been born in Frankfurt, however, mostly they were Militia men, armed laymen of the parish rather than the professional soldiers who were arrayed before us outside the walls.

Along with the Prince and the Duke, the Princes’ vassal Baron André des Vaux and his bodyguard were with us. In all, our numbers matched those of the enemy although we were significantly lacking in the arms and quality of the men themselves. Word had also reached us that re-enforcements lead by a Chevalier named Villain de la Salle could also join us.

The Duke thought of a plan which was simple and used our strength over the Germans…our Royal cavalry.

We exited the city gates in full view of the enemy who redressed themselves further from the walls where we had our crossbowmen arrayed. This gave us time to ensure our militia spearmen were in formation. The Duke and Baron took one unit of mailed cavalry and moved to our right flank whilst the Prince took the remaining company of mailed cavalry and the armoured knights out to our left.

It was clear initially that the enemies own cavalry showed themselves more to our left flank so the Prince called for support from the crossbowmen we had on our walls. Our lines dressed and ready we started taking incoming bolts from enemy pavise crossbowmen who had moved ahead of their lines to harass us. The Prince charged them with all his companies and they were routed, he returned to our lines. The Duke took his companies of horse wider right and headed up the hill that the enemy sat at the base of, they took some fire from more crossbows but found combat with one enemy company of armoured knights whom they defeated with ease.

Again Henri moved ahead of our infantry intent on teasing out some more of the enemy mounted knights. This plan did work and we found ourselves engaged with at least one of their companies, perhaps two. I do not how it happened but one company managed to bypass us and engaged our crossbowmen who fled and were cut down before we could wheel and defend them. They were avenged however and soon the enemy had no horse to speak of. The Dukes own companies of horse continued to harrie the rear of the enemy force but soon it was time to signal a general advance.

In good order our militia men and the two companies of mercenaries advanced on the enemy. The Duke again charged down hill and destroyed a company of pavise crossbowmen who were harassing our advance before proceeding up hill again to the rear of the German army.

The Prince followed suit but on our left flank, advancing up hill behind the enemy formation.

Soon dreadful melee was engaged along the front lines. We, I mean, the Prince, would send our companies down hill into the enemy formations again and again, however, two companies of pavise crossbowmen remained in the centre of the enemy, well protected by foot-knights. These would assail us with bolts each time we tarried in melee for even a moment…no heed was held for their own casualties and they would loose directly into the mix of German and French horsemen without hesitation.

It was after one such engagement that I saw the Duke fall from his horse. The Prince and the Dukes companies had engaged into the rear of one company of foot-knights in the centre of the enemy force…again we were assailed by crossbow bolts from all sides but we showed no fear. All our companies redressed as one to gain high ground again and upon exiting melee I saw the Duke hit by several bolts to his body and fall from his horse. I gave the news to the Prince as we gained the high ground again but he seemed only intent on finishing the battle. Two or three more times all our companies fell upon the enemy from upon high before they finally broke and ran. Shortly after dispatching half their number it was clear we had also only half our men remaining too.

We captured upwards of 400 Germans. The Prince finally realised upon the Dukes death and was stricken by a grief I have not seen before, such was his anger that he killed one captive and myself and other retainers had to restrain him and remove him from the field of battle for the safety of others.

Baron André des Vaux was given charge of the enemy captives and attained a reasonable ransom for their small number. I heard that the enemy regrouped and withdrew to Nuremburg. Many of us said this was a heroic victory but the Prince did feel neither Heroic or Victorious with the Dukes death, nor was he happy that so many of us had perished during the fight either…I myself take solis from the fact that God has spared me this day and that despite the fact the enemy were far better armed and trained than our own men of Frankfurt we did best them and kill at least 2 to every 1 of us. I heard later that our re-enforcements arrived but only after the battle had just about turned in our favour and they did little if any fighting…pity perhaps but they remain largely un-touched and can pursue the enemy now in our stead.
    Last edited by Braden; 11-02-2009 at 15:35.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12