Poll: The Best Elite Phalanx in the Game?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Elite Phalanx

Default Best Elite Phalanx

Name what you consider the best Elite Phalanx in the game. By this I don't mean just sheer punching power, but cost effectiveness, AOR, availability and hidden factors such as tightness of formation and discipline, especially resilience against attack from unexpected areas like the rear or the flanks. And of course just your own inclinations and their look.

I'm fairly sure that people experienced with the Successors already know most of the phalanxes, but you can always consult the Documentation for technical info. The contenders are:

Argyraspides

Kleurochon Agema

Chaonion Agema

Chalkaspides

Elite African Pikemen
    Last edited by A Terribly Harmful Name; 08-23-2009 at 22:13.

Default Re: Best Elite Phalanx

If you listed the hysteroi phezetaroi, they'd be my choice because of their AoR. They may not be the very elite, but they'll do exactly what one wants.

Chosing between the true elite: argyraspides. Their AoR allows me to train and retrain them not too far from the borders, which is important because it reduces upkeep costs. Their attack values, compared to their massive armour makes them superior over most units you'll encounter in the east. Not too mention the looks...
    from plutoboyz

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Elite African Pikemen, highly cost efficient and looks damn cool. The Chaonion Agema is the best looks in my book by far, though.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Elite African Pikemen. Playing as the romani they are a royal pain in the backside. When ever the Karthies invade sicily they always bring along at least one of them. They are the karthie unit I fear most, elephantes go down easily in a hail of pilum, but fighting those pikeman is like assaulting a wall. Plus they look incredible.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

The Kleurochon Agema looks the best but the Chaonion Agema seems better combat-wise

As i play with Carthage mostly i vote for Elite African pikemen. Anyway, IIRC, they are the only elite pikemen without "good stamina".

My favorite Hellenic pikemen are Chaonion Agema: i won many great victories thanks to them. And they have really cool voice: A-GE-MA!!

Those Argyraspidai make me shake to my knees. It may not be so cheap but they are quite formidable.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

I like the Chaonion Agema best, because they're Epirote.
    This space intentionally left blank.

The Chaonion Agema. Morale is through the roof, and they look damn cool. Never had one rout in my own Epirote campaigns, and even fighting Epeiros as the Seleukids I've seen them withstand multiple Hetairoi rear charges while butchering my Pezhetairoi. Plus, you get to wield them alongside one of history's biggest badasses, Pyrrhos Aiakides.
    Last edited by option; 08-20-2009 at 10:29.

Thumbs up Re: Best Elite Phalanx

I voted for the Argyraspidai.

I'm playing as a phalanx based faction for the first time really and those fellas have saved my noob sauce Makedonian butt on several occasions already. Truely formidable and a great skin to boot.

I'll second the chappy who thought the Epirote Chaonions look the best - they're really sweet and damn tough too. I was continuing my Romani campaign last night and had a dust up with Epiros. The little swine are a tough nut to crack and the AI had spammed a fair few as well.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I voted Kleurochon Agema.

When I encounter them in an enemy ptolemie army they are the guys I watch out for. They are extremely annoying. Can fight to the last man even when surrounded and just won't die when not using AP!

Also when I deploy them they always do the job, even when all is lost I can still have them fight to the very end!

They may have limited AOR and high costs, but their fighting makes up for it magnificently.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Master of Hammer and Anvil. Member Julius Augustus's Avatar
    In the UP of Michigan, plotting ways to use hammer and anvil.

The Chaonion Agema. I personally find Argyraspidai cooler, but that's cause I love Makedon. Statwise, however, there is no phalanx better than the Chaonion Agema. They also look so badass.
    The ranking of the Nations of the world.
    >>>All the rest.

"Your turning violet, Violet!"
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

ayrgyaspids are damn good. they dont have the best stats. i know for sure that the makedon argyraspids have higher stats but they have the biggest AOR out of them all(i think) and they look pretty sweet. they do what they do extremely well and i dont think ive ever regretted buying them because theyre so price effective.

haven't really used them all but of the ones i have the Elite African Pikemen, despite being outclassed stats wise by most of the top tier Phalanx units they are very good value

In all honesty, every unit the OP listed are the kind of units you really want to recruit, but you don't particularly want to fight against.

It's come a little late, but I'm finding that phalanx love.

well, speaking as KH player and thus mostly encountered all of them(tho the Malkedon one not too often ;) ) I have to say I fancy the Epirote ones most dangerous. It may just be me (or the fact that I had to fight them with haploi, Sphendotai and Hippakontistai whereas I fought the others with Spartans, Rhodians Thorakitai and Thrakioi Prodromoi ) but they seemed to stand out much more from the Pezhetairoi/Pantadopiai masses who fall much faster, you could practically hear my Soldiers warning each other to stay clear of those guys.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Meh, all the units listed fall easily beneath the blade of a falx... I picked the Elite African Pikemen because they remind me of black widows.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Smile Re: Best Elite Phalanx

Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    Meh, all the units listed fall easily beneath the blade of a falx
    I'm pretty sure we're all aware of how dangerous a falx armed unit can be to close ordered armoured infantry.

I'm also pretty sure the OP wasn't asking for opinions about that.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Augustus View Post
    The Chaonion Agema. I personally find Argyraspidai cooler, but that's cause I love Makedon. Statwise, however, there is no phalanx better than the Chaonion Agema. They also look so badass.
    I have to agree with that.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Head Casse View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're all aware of how dangerous a falx armed unit can be to close ordered armoured infantry.

I'm also pretty sure the OP wasn't asking for opinions about that.
    No, but if you bothered to look past the obvious, you might have realized that in mentioning the falx, I spelled out my opinion on which is the best elite phalanx: there is none, for all are equally vulnerable when facing the falx [or other AP weapons]. A different perspective, is all.

And to top it all off, I did pick a "best elite phalanx", the EAP, whom I chose merely because of their colors.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Chalkaspidai, not because of their looks or stats, but their nice skins. (Actually they are the worst elite phalanx in the game imho.)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    No, but if you bothered to look past the obvious, you might have realized that in mentioning the falx, I spelled out my opinion on which is the best elite phalanx: there is none, for all are equally vulnerable when facing the falx [or other AP weapons]. A different perspective, is all.

And to top it all off, I did pick a "best elite phalanx", the EAP, whom I chose merely because of their colors.
    Well we could always say that the blade of a falx falls easily against Toxotai anyway .

I'll have to agree myself the Chaonion are the best.

Well I voted argyraspides. Playing alot as Saka I learned to respect these guys for there endurance - they are always the last unit to rout and are the hardest to wair down...
    As Arche Seleukeia I learned to value these troppers as the elite of all my phalangites, pluss because of there huge AOR - From Baktria till Makedonia they will gather under the royal banner if called upon by the Basileus to Basileion.
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 08-20-2009 at 21:22. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Contains 100% daily fiber Member Companion Cavalry's Avatar

I pick the argyraspidai and kleurochon agema. In custom battles I 1v1'ed
    every elite phalanx in the game, and these two always came out on top.

And for all the people voting for the African Elite Pikemen, consider the other options as well.
    Just because they're the only phalanx you run into in your Romani campaigns doesn't mean they're the best.
    Si has verbas intellegis, barbarum foetidum es.
    Ωστόσο, εάν μπορείτε να το κατανοήσουμε αυτό, τότε μπορεί να μην έχει να σε σκοτώσει.

The Chaonion Agema, not only are incredibly hard to beat but also have by far the most badass voice of them all

I voted Kleurochon Agema mainly because playing against them either with Rome, Maks, Greeks, Pontus, Hayadan and Baktria is really a torture

Chalkaspidai. They look hot. There's just something about their bronze shields and armour that is strangely mesmorizing (sp?).
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 08-21-2009 at 06:14.

strangely ive never had trouble with kleurochon agema. the chaonian agema are always a serious threat. they have the highest morale from experience. i always have trouble routing these guys.

============================================================================

Doesn't work for precisely the reason ATHN mentioned.

Let's agree to disagree.

Argyraspidai and Chaonion Agema are the toughest, methinks.

Argyraspidai have the largest AoR. (EAP benefit from the maritime power of the Qarthadastim/postion of Kart-Hadast, though... easy to ship them them around Western Mediterranean, instead of having them march on foot.)

Lookswise, it's a tie, in my opinion that is, between Makedonian Argyraspidai, Chalkaspidai, Elite African Pikemen and Klerouchon Agema.
    I has two balloons!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast