Thread: Unlimited citizens

Default Unlimited citizens

I heard that the AI doesn't lose citizens when training troops, how can I disable that? Because it's quite annoying when towns are able to send full stack after full stack, which aren't mercenaries. Or if it's not true, then how are they doing that?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Default Re: Unlimited citizens

It's true, because otherwise the AI would just empty the towns by constant recruitment and town growth would stop completely. I think dynamic financial aid in the script would solve the problem, i.e. if AI holds 1-2 provinces it gets nearly no mnai from the script, this would make it bankrupt long before it could start mass producing full stacks. Nothing is more annoying than a single miserable town, surrounded by 2 full stacks But that script idea probably needs some more thinking and balancing. For example most factions in the beginning control no more than 2 regions, thus depriving them of financial aid would render the AI even more useless. May be that part should kick in after 50 years in game or if the AI had more territory and lost it (simulating defeat in a war), but RTW engine has its limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ulpius View Post
    It's true, because otherwise the AI would just empty the towns by constant recruitment and town growth would stop completely. I think dynamic financial aid in the script would solve the problem, i.e. if AI holds 1-2 provinces it gets nearly no mnai from the script, this would make it bankrupt long before it could start mass producing full stacks. Nothing is more annoying than a single miserable town, surrounded by 2 full stacks But that script idea probably needs some more thinking and balancing. For example most factions in the beginning control no more than 2 regions, thus depriving them of financial aid would render the AI even more useless. May be that part should kick in after 50 years in game or if the AI had more territory and lost it (simulating defeat in a war), but RTW engine has its limitations.
    I don't know, I wouldn't mind if they could lose their population base for their stacks. It would be easier to keep order in the conquered cities too, and there wouldn't be huge cities in 250 BC already. But oh well, maybe in EB 2.

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    It would be easier to keep order in the conquered cities too, and there wouldn't be huge cities in 250 BC already.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that. I always use toggle_fow and add population -40000 to keep cities with a habit of huge population growth (like Alexandria and Kart-Hadast) from becoming huge cities. As a civilised faction I prefer to have all cities in my empire to be of my culture. This doesn't become a problem with town held by Celts or Nomads since they can only build a town up to level 3 or 4.
    (I also like to do the same as a Celtic faction, but not as nomads - that would simply be too much writing).
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

I am almost certain that in Vanilla the AI did empty its cities from recruiting.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

in ancient rome trying to reform their way of fighting...

Personally i wouldnt mind the AI sending me stacks of levies as that i can understand happening in real life ( i can buy a spear and shield for 3, 4, or even 5 guys for the price of a guy decked out with armor and all that)

what annoys me is when the AI gets elite units and professional armies. no one in reality can get a proffesional army in short amount a short amount of time.

all in all, spammed levies is ok (provided its not like 200 stacks and its a realistic number) but when it comes to spammed pro/elite stacks... thats when i tend to cheat....

and on the population... if the pop of the AI is tied to their stacks, i would conquer cities with only like 400 dudes inside...
    I'd say the system right now is good (save spamming elites) and provides a challenge

Well the mass of levy stacks aren't good either. Because then you have to fight huge battles in every turn and it's just not fun after a few years.

in ancient rome trying to reform their way of fighting...

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    Well the mass of levy stacks aren't good either. Because then you have to fight huge battles in every turn and it's just not fun after a few years.
    ehh....
    everyones entitled to opinions....
    but yeah i would say it is quite fun
    when fighting those stacks its always a mixed bag...
    one year i might get a stack of skirmishers (then i'd have to chase those little )
    another i might get a stack of pure phalanx units (i'd make *them* chase me around a bit)
    and once in a while i get a good stack which i really like as i can have a set piece battle

until i realize i spent half my army trying to kill the first 6 stacks
    thats when it gets real fun (for me at least)
    Last edited by Ludens; 08-27-2009 at 19:33. Reason: language, again

So that's how the Gauls keep sending full stacks of Gaesatae and Nobles at me during my Romani campaign.

Every turn for the last 20- 25 years the Lusos send me 1- 3 fullstacks to attack the army I have guarding the bridge across the Rhone. Every other turn I get heroic there. Every year an Averni stack comes knocking as well.

Now AS is ignoring our common enemy Pontos to spam me with fullstacks in Byzantion as well.

Every 1.8 battles with the Lusos I get CTD while battle is loading, you think I am fed up with those Luso fullstacks?
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

i've yet to have that much problem with the ai not having to use up citizens, just gives you that more gold, it's the annoying, never ending stacks of mercenaries s:

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    i've yet to have that much problem with the ai not having to use up citizens, just gives you that more gold, it's the annoying, never ending stacks of mercenaries s:
    If you hate that then stop playing VH campaign difficulty.