Thread: Civ IV: BtS PBEM

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Default Civ IV: BtS PBEM

With the blunder of Victoria (I shall see the forthcoming weekend if I'm able to get a multiplayer game started)

I was wondering what would be the availability of people to start a Play by E-mail game of vanilla Civ 4: BtS (3.19?) I never played a PBEM before, but supposedly, we no longer need to congregate at the same time to play, which would make the availability much easier for all involved.

I do not understand the mechanics involved behind such a game (I suppose it would need for each player to put a password to protect their game, and mail to the next player or host the save game file in a place where every player could download it when it was their turn. Unfortunately, due to the secret nature of these turn-based PBEM games, AAR's would be lacking, and probably only public events could be listed (Wars, Wonder construction, etc.)

EDIT: It would also make for a nice diplomacy game here in the forums, as our civilizations meet and begin forging alliances and backstabbing each others. :P
    Last edited by Jolt; 10-20-2009 at 13:37.
    BLARGH!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Civ IV: BtS PBEM

Sure, I'll play. PBEM games should be done on smaller sized maps though, as they take a VERY long time to play. We're talking many months to finish one.

Yeah? I have absolutely no idea. Small map means how many players? 5? We'll do it in Quick Speed setting to ensure a quicker game.
    BLARGH!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Dunno how long it would take exactly, only time I've ever played Civ via PBEM was with a single game of Alpha Centauri many years ago. That one took about a month to go 10 turns. I would pick whatever map size is optimal based on the number of players we get. I also recommend that we use the advanced start option, where everyone gets a certain number of points at the start of the game to place some basic roads and build a building or two. That portion of the game usually involves a LOT of hitting end turn and not a whole lot else... using the advanced start option will let us get to the more entertaining bit a lot faster.
    Last edited by TinCow; 10-20-2009 at 14:13.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

So no online multiplayer? Or are you accounting for time zone differences.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I do not understand the mechanics involved behind such a game (I suppose it would need for each player to put a password to protect their game, and mail to the next player or host the save game file in a place where every player could download it when it was their turn. Unfortunately, due to the secret nature of these turn-based PBEM games, AAR's would be lacking, and probably only public events could be listed (Wars, Wonder construction, etc.)
    If you want to talk about strategies, you can just do a regular single player game but take turns making moves. Say you make the game, you can start the first turn. Then the computer goes and you save the game when your turn starts again. You send this save file to the next person in line to play a turn. They play a turn, discuss strategies, etc. and send it to the next person in line. Eventually, you finish the game and each of you cooperatively played the same civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    So no online multiplayer? Or are you accounting for time zone differences.
    It has online multiplayer but no one wants to wait 30 minutes for their turn to come around again. I mean some turns are pretty fast, but towards the end of the game one player's turn could take 10 minutes just looking at the possibilities and deciding how to move.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You turn on the simultaneous turn option.
    That way, all players will take their turns simultaneously and next turn begins when everyone finished it.

While email will grant me more free time, I would suggest playing online till Medieval or something then switch to email as ancient goes very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I been playing online with Beefy recently.

I suck in the military department, because I am always building and never have an opportunity to have free building time to produce units. (The thing I dislike about Civ4)
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I'd join. Beskar, Beefy, would you like another guy to play with? ^^
    This space intentionally left blank.

Yeah, I been playing online with Beefy recently.

I suck in the military department, because I am always building and never have an opportunity to have free building time to produce units. (The thing I dislike about Civ4)
    Curiously, I originally suffered exactly from the same thing. Do this. Build one/two buildings then build a unit, always. You'll find out soon enough that you're keeping a large enough amount of units to have your cities well garrisoned.
    BLARGH!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    I'd join. Beskar, Beefy, would you like another guy to play with? ^^
    I have no problems. Do you have MSN or similar? We usually hook up using that. (Also, we play using Japanese time, which is pretty much Twilight/Morning hours for us Europeans)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Curiously, I originally suffered exactly from the same thing. Do this. Build one/two buildings then build a unit, always. You'll find out soon enough that you're keeping a large enough amount of units to have your cities well garrisoned.
    Yeah, I will need to learn how to manage my workers better as well. I originally just stuck them on "auto" and what they keep doing is building things then rebuilding things on-top of them, etc.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-24-2009 at 22:41.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I have no problems. Do you have MSN or similar? We usually hook up using that.usually
    Yep yep! It should be on my profile, but I'll pm it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    You turn on the simultaneous turn option.
    That way, all players will take their turns simultaneously and next turn begins when everyone finished it.

While email will grant me more free time, I would suggest playing online till Medieval or something then switch to email as ancient goes very fast.
    This is an awesome idea.
    BLARGH!

Yes, I agree. A very good idea.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wish I would have bought that CivIV:Complete when I had the chance.
    I always wanted to play it against human players.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last time I saw the price in Australia, BtS was fairly cheep.
    Just buy Civ4 and BtS. You won't need anything else.... Maybe Colony or what ever the new one is called.

And Hax. Today would be the last time I can play until in 3 weeks time.

Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

I would be up to it. I agree with TinCows observations though. The initial phase is just a lot of hitting "End Turn". Even if some quite important choices are made during those initial turns.

I would usually play these with my brother during holidays and we would get through one game in about two to three days. That is with simultaneous turns though. We usually play together against the AI though and stop once we've reached that point where the challenge is gone and it's just a matter of conquering everything that remains.

So yeah, count me in!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Hmm might tive this one a try, not that great at it though.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)