Thread: Steam Special Offers Thread!

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Steam Special Offers Thread!

I know many here do not like steam, but there are those among us who use it quite a bit (like myself). For those that regularly purchase items through steam, i propose this thread! Post any special offers that happen to catch your eye here.

RIGHT NOW:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
    is 75% off, meaning you can buy it for $5 USD if you are so inclined. Offer ends November 2nd

The Witcher also has a good sized sale going, 50% off knocking down the price to $20 USD. Sale ends Oct 29th though, so if you want it act fast!
    Last edited by Monk; 10-27-2009 at 21:06.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Steam Special Offers Thread!

I never touched STALKER ever since they cut everything out the game I actually wanted in the game.

However, I heard good things about the Witcher, is it good? Could some one vouch for it? £11.49 UK Price
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

The Witcher is well worth £11.49.

Blog Entries

What kind of RPG game is it? It is like Fable? Oblivion? etc
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

It would probably be more like the Gothic games than Fable or Oblivion, the combat is combo based with different styles and more tactical than most RPGs. It's a bit more grittty than most RPGs and marketed as a "mature" RPG, personally I found the idea of collecting cards for sexual conquests very juvenile, but it's only an insignificant element of the game and didn't effect my overall enjoyment. The game was quite buggy on release and wasn't well optimized, I believe Steam has the enhanced edition which improved things dramatically.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I never touched STALKER ever since they cut everything out the game I actually wanted in the game.
    STALKER is an absolute steal at $5. Unless you don't like FPS games, I would recommend it highly. Running with the Oblivion Lost mod, it's one of the most enjoyable FPSs I've ever played.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I love STALKER (in some ways the truest sequel to Fallout), but I could never get the mods working. Every time I would follow the FAQs and unpack the game's data, the whole thing would cease working. I am a failed geek.

Why not make the thread a general bargains thread? The other online shops do great deals too, and it offers choice of purchase location when multiple shops are running the same offer.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Why not make the thread a general bargains thread? The other online shops do great deals too, and it offers choice of purchase location when multiple shops are running the same offer.
    Lemur's post in the Left 4 Dead 2 thread got me thinking about Steam, a generalized thread would work just as well.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Froggy just doesn't like Steam. :P

There's Savy Gamer in the UK, which sometimes has corresponding deals in the US. Does anyone know of a US-centric version for us yanks?

And I picked up Stalker on Steam, mostly due to the exhortations of RPS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    STALKER is an absolute steal at $5. Unless you don't like FPS games, I would recommend it highly. Running with the Oblivion Lost mod, it's one of the most enjoyable FPSs I've ever played.
    I was a follower of the game pre-release where they had all these promises and other things. In short, they cut everything out that I wanted in the game and I never really recovered from the disappointment.

I also had a quick play on it since though on a friends computer, and I was utterly totalled by this mutant which seems you make the camera zoom right up, and far away, making you lose chunks of life and got killed twice by it and the guns seems completely ineffective.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Steam rules.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Blog Entries

I created another thread with more deals on from other sources which I can update, though I prefer those who use other sources to assist me in sending me their deals.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I also had a quick play on it since though on a friends computer, and I was utterly totalled by this mutant which seems you make the camera zoom right up, and far away, making you lose chunks of life and got killed twice by it and the guns seems completely ineffective.
    It has a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get into it, it is not that hard. I am rubbish at FPS but managed ok. My son was in fits watching me struggle with the first bandit camp - a kind of Mr Bean plays FPS moment (or moments, it took me forever). But once you get a rifle and learn to fight (fairly) realistically, it gets much easier. It's all about surprise - see the enemy first, kill them before they kill you. Hiding behind a corner and blowing their heads off as they come around will get you very far (rather less realistically when you do it repetitively - why don't they lob a grenade round the corner?). Guns are not completely ineffective, although they vary in quality and opponents vary in armour (e.g. elite soldiers usually need headshots). Some mutants take nearly a full magazine to kill. Which is good, because they don't have guns and need to be tough if they are to be as scarey as they are.

Like TC said, I'd rate this about the best FPS I've ever played. Forget all the RPG stuff they did not put in. The game lets you go almost anywhere, do almost anything, has an amazing atmosphere and very good FPS gameplay.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I was a follower of the game pre-release where they had all these promises and other things. In short, they cut everything out that I wanted in the game and I never really recovered from the disappointment.

If you're talking about the one I'm thinking of, I got past him by spamming grenades, but it was pretty touch and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Froggy just doesn't like Steam. :P
    I was thinking a general bargins thread might have enough life in it to merit a sticky. A steam only thread definitely won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Lemur's post in the Left 4 Dead 2 thread got me thinking about Steam, a generalized thread would work just as well.
    Ok. I'll work some magic on the title and we'll see how the topic goes.

EDIT: Having looked at Besker's thread it's got a good format going; nice and clear what offers are where. I hope no one will mind if we adopt that one as the arena's bargain thread and close this one? Same applies: if there's enough interest and activity then the bargain thread will be pinned.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 10-28-2009 at 18:26.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.