Thread: I need REALLY warm gloves, and fast

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default I need REALLY warm gloves, and fast

I'm going on a trip next Tuesday, and I need some really warm gloves. And when I say warm, I mean gloves that can keep my hands warm in 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C, with 70 mph winds.

So really, really warm. And they have to be available in Western Washington ( can order things, but not from out of country).

Ideally, they wouldn't cost over $50, but I'm definitely willing to pay for gloves that meet my requirements.

Thanks a lot,
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: I need REALLY warm gloves, and fast

Your butt is free sit on it

I think I saw on the discovery channel that they where two or three layers of gloves when they are out in the cold like that.

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

Pockets can work.
    Parthian Nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    I'm going on a trip next Tuesday, and I need some really warm gloves. And when I say warm, I mean gloves that can keep my hands warm in 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C, with 70 mph winds.

So really, really warm. And they have to be available in Western Washington ( can order things, but not from out of country).

Ideally, they wouldn't cost over $50, but I'm definitely willing to pay for gloves that meet my requirements.

Thanks a lot,
    CR
    I'd suggest visiting a Northface Store if you have one near you. Trendy and Overpriced? Sure, but the gloves will most likely get the job done.

Blog Entries

Pockets are not an option; the short story is that I'm going to be riding a motorcycle.

And there's an REI near me.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

A large pair of rubber gloves over a slightly smaller pair of fluffy gloves?

Blog Entries

Pockets are not an option; the short story is that I'm going to be riding a motorcycle.

And there's an REI near me.

CR
    I'd go Check Out REI or Sportsman's Warehouse (thats assuming you're close to Spokane).

I bought a pair of Ironclad Tundra Gloves, excellent for Outdoors work in the Winter. My problem with Ski Gloves is that they get moisture in them too easily, and aren't designed for when you have to be down on your hands and knees for extended periods of time. They run about 45.00$, but you might have to take em' off for a bit in 32 Degree Weather, since they're designed for temperatures as cold as -90F.
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 10-28-2009 at 20:46.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Just don't go. I'm from South Texas, 50F is too cold for me, I would die in 32 I'm sure.

You may be stronger than me, and if so, hit up most stores with outdoor equipment like for hiking and rock climbing. They usually have good quality stuff.

Motorcycle gloves, made of leather, my dad gave me his when I went skiing, yes, at less than 0°C, touching the snow etc. and they worked quite fine. Might make a difference when you're holding your hands still but they weren't the warmest motorcycle gloves available either I think.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

You're too sensitive. I'm not even wearing gloves yet, and I'm in Canada.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Isn't it snowing in Saskatchewan right now?

Ski gloves will keep you warm no matter what, but they're a bit bulky and hard to grip with. I'd say you wear some fluffy ones and leather riding gloves above those. And seal up those sleaves.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

go to a snowboard shop and get some board gloves. GORETEX, with undergloves. Things will probably be too warm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    You're too sensitive. I'm not even wearing gloves yet, and I'm in Canada.
    Oh, excuse me, are you going to be on a bike going 70 mph over a mountain pass?

Right now I'm thinking of getting these. I already have thin liners and chemical hand warmers.

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com...ort-gloves.asp

Any other recommendations are still appreciated.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

http://www.revzilla.com/product/firs...-glacier-glove

My friend, who went to Bavaria to pick up his Beemer Bike, in the winter two years ago, recommends these^^^.

Should be able to order & receive them pretty quickly. Ninety bucks though. :(

I rode my Kawasaki 1000LTD through the '85-86 winter when stationed at Fort Lewis, back when Christ was a Corporal. Drove daily from Roy to the back gate to the MP Station (about 15 miles total) and back daily. In those primitive days I wore army gloves with plastic bags over them to deflect wind. In mid-January, I admit it always took 15-20 minutes to warm up after those o-dark-thirty rides. Fingertips and knees got awful cold.

Fortunately nowadays they have better materials, and actually think about, if not actually cater to winter riders. Ha! I say. "Victory!", to my 80's naysayers/co-workers, who thought (coorectly) I wuz nutz.

Good luck. Where ya goin, with whom, for what, and stuff?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Blog Entries

I'm going across state, to sort out a couple things back near my old University. It isn't a necessary trip, but it's close. Going by myself on my bike. I did the same thing last year, and I want to avoid the cold if at all possible.

I'm set up to keep my legs warm (sweat pants under jeans under ski pants under a rain proof shell, with hand warmers, and I might use my custom rigged rubber fairings that go over my leg and deflect the wind), so right now the cold points are my ankles/the spot between my pants and shoes and my hands. I'm looking at 6-7 hours, unfortunately, assuming no snow in the pass on I-90.

Thanks for the link, Kukri, I'll take a look at those.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Kevlar reinforcement inside
    You could probably stop most low caliber handgun bullets with those gloves too!

I'm going across state, to sort out a couple things back near my old University. It isn't a necessary trip, but it's close. Going by myself on my bike. I did the same thing last year, and I want to avoid the cold if at all possible.

I'm set up to keep my legs warm (sweat pants under jeans under ski pants under a rain proof shell, with hand warmers, and I might use my custom rigged rubber fairings that go over my leg and deflect the wind), so right now the cold points are my ankles/the spot between my pants and shoes and my hands. I'm looking at 6-7 hours, unfortunately, assuming no snow in the pass on I-90.

Thanks for the link, Kukri, I'll take a look at those.

CR
    Cool. Whatcha' riding? As you know, snow ain't a huge problem... it's the ice underneath: suddenly exposed by cars and trucks with chains on; or worse: so-called 'black-ice', the stuff that freezes in shadowy corners and disguises itself as dry asphalt.

Saint Christopher be with ya', pal.

Blog Entries

Ducati Monster, '03.

Yeah, I spent last year on the east side, aka the cold side of Washington. Had to go through almost a mile of deep, packed snow on the road once in December. This time of year black ice isn't a huge danger, and we're I'm heading the temps look to be highs of 50, lows in the mid 30s while I'm there. The pass, Snoqualmie pass on the I-90, is in danger of getting snow, but mostly of the slushy kind this time of year.

I'm looking to head out shortly after first light, to make sure I arrive before dark. I didn't last year, and that just made the traveling more difficult and colder.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Ducati Monster, '03.

Yeah, I spent last year on the east side, aka the cold side of Washington. Had to go through almost a mile of deep, packed snow on the road once in December. This time of year black ice isn't a huge danger, and we're I'm heading the temps look to be highs of 50, lows in the mid 30s while I'm there. The pass, Snoqualmie pass on the I-90, is in danger of getting snow, but mostly of the slushy kind this time of year.

I'm looking to head out shortly after first light, to make sure I arrive before dark. I didn't last year, and that just made the traveling more difficult and colder.

CR
    Ahh.. the V2 4-stroke. Italy's answer to Harley, with their thumper history. Nice ride my man. Heck, you could climb 50-degree hills with that machine. On the road, though (as you know): medium juice does the trick. May the Sun God bless Snoqualmie with sunshine, dry roads, and easy passage for our friend. Both ways.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I know something else Italian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_150_TAP

French-made, but still.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Warm clothing is never the answer to cold weather. Layers of warm clothing is the answer.

As for your situation, I would recommend wind and waterproof gloves with a little stuffing, with a pair of very thin wool(or similar) gloves underneath.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Oh, excuse me, are you going to be on a bike going 70 mph over a mountain pass?

Right now I'm thinking of getting these. I already have thin liners and chemical hand warmers.

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com...ort-gloves.asp

Any other recommendations are still appreciated.

CR
    Kevlar reinforcement inside
    Sound like some badass gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

My socks have kevlar in them as well, helps when you shoot yourself in the foot.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I'd suggest visiting a Northface Store if you have one near you. Trendy and Overpriced? Sure, but the gloves will most likely get the job done.
    agreed, my north face gore windstopper gloves are still going strong after nearly 12 years.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

I'm well prepared for cold weather in any situation. See if you can find me in these photos when I visited New York last Febuary.
    http://www.winstanley.ac.uk/index.ph...sits&Itemid=84
    I'm in the two photos on the left in the middle row.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    I'm well prepared for cold weather in any situation. See if you can find me in these photos when I visited New York last Febuary.
    http://www.winstanley.ac.uk/index.ph...sits&Itemid=84
    I'm in the two photos on the left in the middle row.
    You the guy in the red jacket with everything covered but his eyes?

Anyways, I'm headed out in an hour or two! Wish me luck!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Blog Entries

You the guy in the red jacket with everything covered but his eyes?
    Snug as a bug.

Anyways, I'm headed out in an hour or two! Wish me luck!

CR
    Good luck!