Thread: How "Sciencey" are Orgahs?

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Default How "Sciencey" are Orgahs?

I was just wondering, seeing how the forums are based on an interesting little blend of arts (history) and science (computer games!), how many of you guys have a sciencey background, and how deep into the pool of scientific knowledge does that delve?

(maths and computers counts as science for these purposes: anything techy-geek-like!)

I'll start: I'm pretty heavy on the science, going to uni to study natural sciences (day after, in fact), though I don't really spend a great deal of time on it outside the classroom/lecture hall/lab, apart from the occasional stumble.
    Last edited by Avicenna; 09-24-2009 at 17:39.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: How "Sciencey" are Orgahs?

I love math. Even from a young age I was always intrested in it I usually like to figure things out like someone giving me thier yearly salary ill start working it out in months/weeks/days ect..

Im hopefully starting a degree next year (next school year that is) in Applied mathmatics
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i hate chemistry. that is all.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

GASP! Hooah! How could you! Chemistry was by far my most cherished class in hs. Sure we didnt get to blow stuff up, but where else does the teacher go "Here! Have this incredibly flammable Tissue paper and this light weight propane tank" and tell you to make a hot air baloon? Where? No where! Unless you are in chemistry.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: How "Sciencey" are Orgahs?

I am to some degree, after history/social studies/humanities/writing, a devout science nerd (I am a person of wide-range interests for now). My favourites are chemistry, astronomy/astrophysics, and biology. As everyone else, I was a palaeontology enthusiast, but that can only be taken so far to a popular level before setting into a routine of analysing various fossil fragments.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 09-24-2009 at 23:58.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

paleontology FTW!!

seriously, I'm studying in university for my PhD in paleontology-hope in specialize in archosaurimorph physiology, especially dinosaurs.

but I'm apparently darn good at physics and Chemistry. MAthemtics is either boring or too much for me.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-25-2009 at 00:38.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Love/hate relationship with physics.

Actually love hate relationship with science as a whole (read too much Kuhn, Lakatos, and Feyerabend...)

Doing a PhD in theoretical physics, so pretty sciencey.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grizzly
    I love math. Even from a young age I was always intrested in it I usually like to figure things out like someone giving me thier yearly salary ill start working it out in months/weeks/days ect..
    I remember when I used to work stacking shelves in the supermarket, I used to keep my mind occupied working out exactly much I was making per second, the exact percentage of my shift left 'til hometime, the average amount I would earn per tin of cat food stacked, and so on.

As you can imagine, it was a pretty boring job.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i have an honours degree in geology.

and a subscription to new scientist if that counts...................................................................?
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

I am currently a uni student. Future's pretty open still, so I won't bother with saying more that I am currently taking courses in maths and (scientific) programming.
    Last edited by Viking; 09-26-2009 at 22:35.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Blog Entries

Hate math as a generality, love Quantum Physics. Though I'm not in a Science related career (well maybe a bit of psychology plays into it)

My father is a microbiologist. I kinda grew up with it, but I prefer the arts. Music, history, romance, that's my stuff.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Studying physics. Just the basics covering all branches (motion, electricity, thermodynamics, nuclear etc.). Did intro calculus too, but realised there wasn't too much practical application so dropped it couple months after (how often must you antidifferentiate this and sketch hyperbolic functions using that?).
    Last edited by Raz; 10-10-2009 at 15:28.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

I love math when it has to do with economics. I am studying to major in business and minor in accounting.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

b.a. in geology. have worked at NASA. sciencey score of 1321.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I'm gonna be Engineer but hate Maths, Physics and Cheministry. I'm very "Sciencey", if you ask me.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

How can you be "sciencey" if you hate three of four sciences?

I'm doing biology, physics, chemistry and maths at A2 level and have applied to study medicine so yeah I like my science. I'm also doing extra essays on the mechanics of helicopter flight and the resistance mechanism of MRSA to meticillin.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Masters in Information Technology.
    Had to create new knowledge on a specific topic using scientific methodologies.
    Science subjects in school were those I excelled in, so put me down as a "sciencey" orgah.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-27-2009 at 12:05.
    Status Emeritus

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

After a composite degree in Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering I've moved away from Science, professionaly. My first job was as a Technical support and Sales Engineer, now I'm a civil Servant!

Gentis Daciae Member Cronos Impera's Avatar

Just a boring accountant:
    Love statistics and math. I also hate social sciences in general.
    " If you don't want me, I want you! Alexandru Lapusneanul"
    "They are a stupid mob, but neverless they are a mob! Alexandru Lapusneanul"

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Hmm.....currently a Biochemistry Major right now so its fun fun fun organic chemistry..../end sarcasm (the orgo part that is)
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton