Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: An Occultus Faction possibly worked out?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: An Occultus Faction possibly worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Only one thing can describe Ibrahim's situarion now :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

how did I fail? as I said, he got this for guessing correcly, for the wrong reasons.

but I have to say this: congrats Bobbin

here's a balloon
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-10-2009 at 23:10.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Thanking you

First of all yes I know how this sounds bu what exactly is an Occultus faction

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Its an upcoming faction wich has not been revealt. The team members working on that faction have a sig banner saying "Occultis" and showing tiny bits of the faction's symbol

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

And if you guess the faction correctly, as evinced by the Sauromatae preview, the EB team will announce the occultus.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

The game is on again!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

my guess is on the arevaci

celtiberians on the iberian peninsula to make it fun over there cause it gets pretty boring sometimes unleass on those rare ocasions where carthies and luso´s are challanged by both romani/arverni and the greeks

also this time with cimmeria in the greek cities on the pontos euxinus will no longer rebel to the kh and with syracuse (trully wishing those one´s) maybe in an alliance with massilya (a kind of chromeniades league but with the western greeks of syracure and massilia trying to reconquer the western mediterranium ) playing the kh will be less of a problem regarding those rebelious greeks scaterred around the mediterranium (altough this less dificulty can make it a tad boring)

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    my guess is on the arevaci

celtiberians on the iberian peninsula to make it fun over there cause it gets pretty boring sometimes unleass on those rare ocasions where carthies and luso´s are challanged by both romani/arverni and the greeks

also this time with cimmeria in the greek cities on the pontos euxinus will no longer rebel to the kh and with syracuse (trully wishing those one´s) maybe in an alliance with massilya (a kind of chromeniades league but with the western greeks of syracure and massilia trying to reconquer the western mediterranium ) playing the kh will be less of a problem regarding those rebelious greeks scaterred around the mediterranium (altough this less dificulty can make it a tad boring)
    Why would they do that? I mean joining Massylia and Syracuse would be completely out of the EB spirit for representing history.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Chromeniades League
    Hadn't heard of that one... are they trying to force us all to use Google's web browser? It works o.k., I guess.

syracure
    Them either. Sounds like a Syrian Medical NGO.

western mediterranium
    You mean a medium-sized one of these with a Country and Western motif?

scaterred around the mediterranium
    I'm kinda scared of this idea: either you're talking about filling up your Medium Sized Terranium with bear feces or the music of Ella Fitzgerald, which doesn't really fit the Western motif. Neither of those is really our scene, man.

To sum up: are you suggesting that one of our factions be Syrian Volunteer Medics, who force other factions to use Google Chrome, while living in Glass Jars filled with miniature cacti, armadillos and bear droppings? It's doubtful, I have to say. What would the faction symbol be?
    Last edited by oudysseos; 11-19-2009 at 18:56.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    And if you guess the faction correctly, as evinced by the Sauromatae preview, the EB team will announce the occultus.
    Not just guess, demonstrate like bobbin. Otherwise it doesn't matter, if all would post "I think one the new factions is Bartyx" eventualy someone will be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    Not just guess, demonstrate like bobbin. Otherwise it doesn't matter, if all would post "I think one the new factions is Bartyx" eventualy someone will be right.
    My mistake, it is as you say.
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 11-19-2009 at 20:23.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

I should point out that working out a new occultus faction would be kinda hard since there is only one occultus sig still knocking about (I remember a second one but it seems to have disappeared) which IIRC is not a faction symbol but a building.

Good luck working that out.

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    To sum up: are you suggesting that one of our factions be Syrian Volunteer Medics, who force other factions to use Google Chrome, while living in Glass Jars filled with miniature cacti, armadillos and bear droppings? It's doubtful, I have to say. What would the faction symbol be?
    Last edited by bobbin; 11-19-2009 at 23:57.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    I should point out that working out a new occultus faction would be kinda hard since there is only one occultus sig still knocking about (I remember a second one but it seems to have disappeared) which IIRC is not a faction symbol but a building.

Good luck working that out.

is there a face on that that's being obscurred? in the middle, and a bit right, it looks as if there was a painting of something in a fleshy tone.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

enjoy:

Thats the one i remember, I can only say it looks vaguely celtic so maybe the Boii or a celtiberian or belgic tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    is there a face on that that's being obscurred? in the middle, and a bit right, it looks as if there was a painting of something in a fleshy tone.
    No idea, the only thing i can make out is possibly a hand just below the O.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    enjoy:
    that's a lion's head on there! a lion's head! (notice the snout at the front)!

now whether that's a full lion or not I dunno. but if it is, it leaves a few options. what they are, I dunno
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-20-2009 at 07:57.

The latest retweets deal with barbaroi units, maybe we get a barbarian faction in the next preview?

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

I don't know for sure but that "lump" above the first U somehow makes me think that its supposed to be a bull. Therefore I wuld supsect were dealing with a celtiberian faction (maybe)
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Since insignia in coins are often used as faction symbols I googled for Boii coins. I found this replica of an existing coin:

The motif on the right could be the one on the Occultus signature Moros posted. The revealed section above the "c" could be a nose.
    Last edited by machinor; 11-20-2009 at 11:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Since insignia in coins are often used as faction symbols I googled for Boii coins. I found this replica of an existing coin:

The motif on the right could be the one on the Occultus signature Moros posted. The revealed section above the "c" could be a nose.
    Yeah I had a look at that pic too, wasn't convinced though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    that's a lion's head on there! a lion's head! (notice the snout at the front)!

now whether that's a full lion or not I dunno. but if it is, it leaves a few options. what they are, I dunno
    I can't really see it, care to explain further?
    If it is a lion's head the a really goood candidate would be the Kingdom of Kartli.

It is actually suppposed to be a wolf but it looks quite lion like.

You never stop, don't you?

It looks very Celtic to me too. Because it is Moros' signature, I would say it's probably Belgic. But that's just guesswork with a bit of logic.

*looking for evidence right now*
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    It looks very Celtic to me too. Because it is Moros' signature, I would say it's probably Belgic. But that's just guesswork with a bit of logic.

*looking for evidence right now*
    Looks like Epeiros to me...

Looks like Epeiros to me...
    Givin' a hint?

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

You never stop, don't you?
    Only for Jesus.

For the one Moros provided, the form to the left (near the O), looks like a jaguar or panther or leopard (just one of those big cats, I know some of those aren't indiginous to the old world)

Just throwing it out there.

Also the lion observation comes from the v-shape above the s, whoch kind of looks like a lion's snout at 3/4 view.

So it could be possibly a multi-headed cat-like...thing.

EDIT: Is it at all possible that it is depicting a cerberus?
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 11-20-2009 at 21:09.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Yeah I had a look at that pic too, wasn't convinced though.

I can't really see it, care to explain further?
    If it is a lion's head the a really goood candidate would be the Kingdom of Kartli.

It is actually suppposed to be a wolf but it looks quite lion like.
    well, as Owen said lately, I noticed the nose and the tail of the thing (nose above s, the tail above and behind O.)

but yeah, what of the hump on the U area? that really confuses stuff.

how about nabatean coins? any lions on them? (I'm not saying this is nabataea, but hey, its possible). your suggestion of Kartli though looks promising.

@Owen: Leopard. Jaguars are new world, and Panthers are just over colored leopards (or jaguars). they're black from too much melanin in their fur.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-20-2009 at 22:46.

Yeah, I realize that now. I was in class when I posted that, and spent the rest of the hour doing research on big cats hehe.

Found a few coins with a "panther" on them, but nothing with a panther and a lion.

I was briefly thinking it was maybe a Herakles type thing with a lion mounted on his head (though probably not.)
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    EDIT: Is it at all possible that it is depicting a cerberus?
    I thought that too when I first saw it and then the Epiros mention makes me think that even more. Remember the Epirotes generals have a cerberus on their shields. I don't know what that might mean, Syracuse maybe?
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

this one is harder apparantly

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast