Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preview: The Sauromatae

Default Re: Preview: The Sauromatae

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    Also guys for those who haven't found out yet, if you press the Bosphoran faction symbol you get linked to a big picture of the Bosporan Hoplites.
    doh, thanks.

btw, what of Sarmatian faction symbol? still undecided?

Banzai, thanks for the horses. the most beautiful horses there is! would be awesome to see them in EB.

Beautiful, just beautiful.
    Keep up the great work lads.

i am trying to find a word in either Greek or English to describe how i feel about this great preview, but i dont think there is one good enough for that ^^

All i can say is that the EB team are not good, they are Gods!
    Dont fight for what you want, fight for what you can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    doh, thanks.

btw, what of Sarmatian faction symbol? still undecided?

Banzai, thanks for the horses. the most beautiful horses there is! would be awesome to see them in EB.
    Unfortunately we no longer have a large version of the Sauromatae faction symbol. This isn't so much of a problem as we have all the correct sizes for the game itself. We may decide in the future to recreate the Sauromatae faction symbol, so we can have the big size again, but unless a request is made by one of our historians it will look the same as it did in EBI.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Blog Entries

Oh man, this is awesome, how did I miss this? Great work as always, guys. I'm particularly looking forward to the Bosphoran Kigndom update

However, if I was to be perfectly honest, I don't like the blonde hair of the Sarmatians. It's too...yellow. Sorry :(

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the thing I'm wondering about is the new factions in EBII, like Pergamom,
    can't wait to see them...
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Commendations for tattoing the nobles, just like the Archaeological evidence.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    I'm very glad you noticed! Those are the details that we hope will give a greater immersion into the mod.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

the thing I'm wondering about is the new factions in EBII, like Pergamom,
    can't wait to see them...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103202

I think he means actually playing them...
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

amazing work ^^ expecially considering that it seems its going on full speed soon enough we will have previews every 2 weeks

when can we have a map preview ? preferably with the resources trade routes ports big city´s psf´s mines and all of that so one can start making the winning economical strategies for a massive gaming experience

as for the sauromatae fans i can´t wait to play the cimmerians and shoot you off your horses from the top of the great stone walls, or sail the pontos euxinus and free sinope from the authocratic persian wannabe pontic scum or rape the riches of the hai lands with all their mines

just teasing but amazing work now what about a arevaci preview for the iberian peninsula ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    I didn't even notice this the first time through. Just goes to show the amazing level of detail I have come to love from the EB team, thanks guys
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    amazing work ^^ expecially considering that it seems its going on full speed soon enough we will have previews every 2 weeks
    That would be really great - previews every two or three weeks, that would make waiting for EBII even longer.

when can we have a map preview ? preferably with the resources trade routes ports big city´s psf´s mines and all of that so one can start making the winning economical strategies for a massive gaming experience
    A map preview would be nice aswell - a perfect christmas present

as for the sauromatae fans i can´t wait to play the cimmerians and shoot you off your horses from the top of the great stone walls, or sail the pontos euxinus and free sinope from the authocratic persian wannabe pontic scum
    Don't worry I feel the same - can't wait to make those greeks, (true) barbaroi and other settled peoples do what most of them are best for: get into the first line and stand there as "arrow-cathcers" ... until the enemy runs out of arrows (and/or slingstones)... (inset evil )

or rape the riches of the hai lands with all their mines
    And what about there women? There worth fighting for aswell aren't they?
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 11-16-2009 at 14:20. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

Those Bosphoran hoplites stole the show here, but the nobles are pretty cool. Keep the previews coming!
    Parthian Nationalist

Wow, amazing preview. Can't wait to play these guys!

I wonder if somebody of the team could give me some sources/literature on a couple of statements; not out of scepticism, just for further reading

It often seems that the nomadic peoples of the steppe have contributed little, if at all, to the making of contemporaneous western culture. However, the Sarmatians probably are at the root of the well-known and influential cultural icon that is the medieval knight. A knight is in essence a mounted, armored lancer and the Sarmatians can rightly claim to be its first physical model in Europe. After centuries of contact, the mounted lancer was widely adopted from the Sarmatians by both the Late Roman Empire and the Germanic tribes who would eventually overrun it. Medieval Europe, knights included, would emerge from the mixture of these elements.
    I would very much like to know some literature about the interactions between the Sarmatians/steppe nomads and the Germanic tribes. Not only the military technology mentioned above, but all interactions between the Germanic tribes and the steppes.

Moreover, another popular element of western culture may owe more to the Sarmatians and the steppe nomads than usually realized. The Arthurian legend incorporates many diverse influences, being in that representative of medieval Europe. One of those elements, perhaps its core, may directly link the Arthurian stories to the nomads of the steppe. We have already mentioned that in 175 CE the defeated Iazyges had to supply eight thousand horsemen to the Roman army. Of those, five and a half thousand were sent to Britain, and we know some were sent to garrison the western portion of Hadrian’s Wall. The Roman officer who commanded part of the Sarmatian contingent was called Lucius Artorius Castus. Moreover, in 180 to 185 CE the Caledonii, with support from the Goidilic Irish, overran the eastern part of the Wall and penetrated deeply into Roman territory, killing the governor of Britain and the legate of Legio VI Victrix near modern York and ravaging the eastern regions. However, the region where Artorius Castus and his Sarmatians were posted was spared and remained a safe island amidst much destruction. We, then, have a group of armored horsemen who revere a naked sword thrust into the earth and who, led by a man called Artorius, manage to repel or contain a barbarian invasion. It would seem plausible that these events could have provided an initial nucleus that, over the course of the following centuries, would have attracted other, later traditions and cycles to produce the Arthurian tradition as we know it today. The iconic and archetypical Arthurian story might have been woven around a core in which the horsemen from the Eurasian steppe, their modes of waging war, and their religious traditions played a leading role.
    Also, some literature about this theory would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    (Nice preview, by the way. Can't wait to play.)
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

-count: a lot from Arthur, king of the Britons for some modding help.

Quote Originally Posted by HunGeneral View Post
    And what about there women? There worth fighting for aswell aren't they?
    if the cimmerian women look like anything like the current ukranian women i guess the cimmerians are more then well served in terms of women to rape (remember the bosphorus was a major platform in the collection of slaves, the skytians and other step people would capture them and sell them in the pontos euxinus expecially the slav human eaters, one must wonder if human flesh eating improves your kids beauty in the long run... empirical evidence says so)

but yes a good hai maid can be good for a change now and then we don´t want to end up like the sweedes and norwegians where tapping blondes can actually get boring :X

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Preview: The Sauromatae

Quote Originally Posted by podoh View Post
    I would very much like to know some literature about the interactions between the Sarmatians/steppe nomads and the Germanic tribes. Not only the military technology mentioned above, but all interactions between the Germanic tribes and the steppes.

Also, some literature about this theory would be very much appreciated.
    I'd like to hear more about that too . Someone over at the TWC posted a link to a rebuttal of the Sarmatian Arthur hypothesis, but this text is directed at someone making a far stronger claim than the EB team does. Still, I'd like to know more about it.

if the cimmerian women look like anything like the current ukranian women i guess the cimmerians are more then well served in terms of women to rape
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Can't wait for the next one!

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I'd like to hear more about that too . Someone over at the TWC posted a link to a rebuttal of the Sarmatian Arthur hypothesis, but this text is directed at someone making a far stronger claim than the EB team does. Still, I'd like to know more about it.
    This is the original article that's criticized by the author of the link you've posted.
    http://www.mun.ca/mst/heroicage/issues/1/halac.htm

Haven't formed an opinion myself yet.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

-count: a lot from Arthur, king of the Britons for some modding help.

Somewhere about 4,4 metres below NAP (Amsterdam Ordnance Datum).

I also stated it on the twcenter site, but perhaps there are people that missed the preview here as wel. This preview is not in the All the Previews In One Thread.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

WE WANT SEE!
    HEAVY SAUROS NOW!

Thank you guys for this new Preview. It was pure awe, that I felt when I contemplated the screenshots and the backround texts are as splendid and informative as usual.
    I just wonder: Did bobbin present on this forum how he pieced all the clues together, that oneoccultis faction is the Kimmerian Bosporus?

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    WE WANT SEE!
    HEAVY SAUROS NOW!

Thank you guys for this new Preview. It was pure awe, that I felt when I contemplated the screenshots and the backround texts are as splendid and informative as usual.
    I just wonder: Did bobbin present on this forum how he pieced all the clues together, that oneoccultis faction is the Kimmerian Bosporus?
    This preview is 14 months old...

Btw, I don't like criticizing the EB team's work, and I think most units look absolutely stunning, but what's the deal with those haircuts?

i.e. these:

I'm talking about the fringe, which I find a bit odd-looking. It does seem quite unpractical too, since you would have to cut the fringe all the time to keep it out of your eyes. Would the Sauromatae really cut their hair like that, or is it just imaginative?

(isn't that guy a bit too blonde by the way? Compared to his eyebrows and beard, that is)
    Last edited by Paltmull; 01-12-2011 at 01:56.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Ouch...

But I actually missed that one, so I am glad it came up again.

EDIT: Well if the fringe is cut above the eyes, it can't do any harm, right?
    Last edited by ziegenpeter; 01-12-2011 at 03:11.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Paltmull View Post
    I'm talking about the fringe, which I find a bit odd-looking. It does seem quite unpractical too, since you would have to cut the fringe all the time to keep it out of your eyes. Would the Sauromatae really cut their hair like that, or is it just imaginative?
    People manage with fringes today no bother, so I fail to see how it would cause such a problem for someone back then. Anyway one of the Scythian mummies recovered from Pazyryk had a fringe just like that of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    People manage with fringes today no bother, so I fail to see how it would cause such a problem for someone back then. Anyway one of the Scythian mummies recovered from Pazyryk had a fringe just like that of the unit.
    Argh, of course you have historical proof. I give up, then

Yes some people used to have weird haircuts in ancient times. Just look at the libyan skirmishers in the carthaginian preview, for exemple...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123