Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The EB Face Database: Faces Required For EBII!

Default Re: The EB Face Database: Faces Required For EBII!

Removed pics.

Add lots more.
    Last edited by bobbin; 11-18-2009 at 18:58.

The nice pic with the ethiopian is now broken.

Blog Entries

Fixed

Thanks for the link Subotan.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Dito. No Celebs!
    I agree, I'd really rather not have Stalin, Ceauşescu and Putin duking it out with Hitler, Mussolini and Brad Pitt.
    I has two balloons!

Woah Ceauşescu is quite renowned from what I see. But don't worry we won't make terminators, aragons and so on. We try to give them an ancient look like for example Aragon:

Low res I know...
    Last edited by Tux; 11-18-2009 at 19:57.

Blog Entries

That's the guy who played Aragon? Awesome.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: The EB Face Database: Faces Required For EBII!

I've removed the war-criminal/dictator images post as well as several replies. Please refrain from such jokes in the future.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tretii View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but Egyptians (your pics here) of today are arabs. The Egyptians of antiquity were not arabs. I think they closest one you can get is to find some pictures of Copts, they are supposed to be descendants of native Egyptian people.
    actually, no, they mostly aren't of arab decent. most Egyptians in the middle ages adopted the names of their overloards, who were a minority of the population at best.

there were simply never enough of them to change the general appearence of Egyptians*. even in Arabia, the character of the population is (mostly) different from ancient times, since the Arabs loved to import east africans slaves, whom they often had kids/ intermarried with. the only idea IIRC of how the ancient might have looked is with the Nomadic tribes and aristocracies of the peninsula-Arabs traditionally judged your eminency by how "pure" you are. its why many tribes today are inbred. look up Antara ibn shadded for an example of what happens when you aren't "pure".**

and yes, I included every possible spectrum of color I could find: from very light to Olive colored. I even made sure that the sample had African admixture, to reflect the slave trade's effects on the population. (PS: thanks to whoever found the picture of that yemeni man.)

and yes, Copts do resemble the above people-I had quite a few coptic friends in Kuwait.

*nor did they go about slaughtering them..
    **no, I on't support these practices, but knowlge of them can help make EB accurate.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-19-2009 at 00:04.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Ehm, the last Illiryan nation in balkan are the Albanese... Try them for making the moddels....
    The soldier who runs away, will RUN away another day...

That map is from 1899.

As I said in a fairly recent post, the genetic contribution (which is what determines many things about you including skin colour and facial structure) from Turkic peoples drops off around Uzbekistan. Ethnicity as we understand it is a cultural construct that in many cases has no basis in genetics, there are Arabs all across the middle east and africa but they're not all the decendants of the tribes of Arabia.

Can we please drop this subject now, this thread is for posting pictures up and that is all. If you want to argue about the apperance of various ancient poeples please by all means start a new thread but don't post in this one.
    Last edited by Ludens; 11-19-2009 at 12:56. Reason: removed quote

Blog Entries

I was being ironic in order to satirise what other people in the thread were saying e.g. That photos of people in the Thessalonica region were not able to be used as Greeks in EB II due to their slightly larger than average noses. I had pointed out earler in the thread that I didn't want to see stereotypes of "Greek" or "Arab" faces, and I resorted to the satire of scientific racism which was prevalent during the early 20th Century, when "scientists" attempted to class people's origins by physical features and skin colour, in order to expose how preposterous it was that people disputing that certain images be used on the basis of the shape of their nose. I was planning to post a follow up to that, explaining that I was being ironic, but it appears that I was too subtle for people to pick up on the fact that I was being satrical (I guess this means that Poe's Law applies to discrimation as well.). If you didn't get it, or found it in bad taste, then I'm sorry, but under no circumstances did I agree or wish to promote what was in my post; it was satire.
    Last edited by Subotan; 11-19-2009 at 13:36.

Ah ok, no harm done then.

Added more pics

Bassist, Swordsman, Gentleman Member Klearchos's Avatar
    "They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth. Hah! Time enough for the earth in the grave."

Hello
    I'd like to post a piscture of mine, but lost all my kinks to the site that publishes them, I've even forgotten their name. Could someone please give me a link to their homepage, I recall their pages were white with orange "bars" (for lack of a better word ). the page always said image sharing something....
    thanks in advance for th help!

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

https://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1573/ebface.jpg
    I know I'm young and Turkish, but I kinda want my face on EB2 and I've been growing my hair for some time: it looks quite unkempt and I have been practicing my "crazy face" I thought it could maybe be used for some of the younger nomad troops, like less experienced saka horsearchers etc. (perhaps even german javelineers or sumthin like that?)
    (maybe it needs a bit of photoshopping etc, I dunno!)

Thank you Kelarchos & AncientFanTR, your pics have been added.
    Last edited by bobbin; 11-20-2009 at 00:03.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Hello chaps,

I was talking to my great grandfather (who is Greek) awhile ago and he was telling me some interesting things on the Greek people.

Supposedly prior to the 1000CE (or more likely much earlier in my opinion) majority of Greece were people had blonde hair and blue eyes, i.e. Northern European decent.

Unfortunately I have no literature to support my case, but supposedly the word Hellene meant blonde in ancient Greek and Hellenes or Hellenic meant blonde people?

The migration of the Turyké tribe (apologies for spelling?) from modern day Turkmenistan/Kazakhstan to the Asia Minor region in the 900'sCE(?) added the dominant 'dark features' genes to the gene pool i.e. dark hair, heavy beards etc

He also said something along the lines of Alexander's army mostly had blonde hair? Basiacally the recessive genes.

Again im not certain on the accuracy of these statements, he is very old...and quite possibly delirious...

If this were true, how much would it impact on the face database?

Again I am deeply sorry for the lack of supportive literature, but hopefully some of the historians or general forum users can point me in the right direction. I hope this all makes sense.

SV
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

The question has been answered before (on this very page infact) multiple times in this thread have a look at the prevoius posts.

As for the meaning of the name Hellenes it's believed to mean "our people"
    Last edited by bobbin; 11-20-2009 at 02:49.

Bassist, Swordsman, Gentleman Member Klearchos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post

Supposedly prior to the 1000CE (or more likely much earlier in my opinion) majority of Greece were people had blonde hair and blue eyes, i.e. Northern European decent

I've heared this theory before. But I have seen Englishmen and Scandinavians coming to the greek islands during summer and they always become pink in a matter of days I guess the native people of the area would have developed some genetical "defence" against their natural environment.
    Plus, the slavs may had a bigger impact in the popoulation (being christians like the greeks), than turks (with who intermarrying was not possible). So the "blonde" gene might be more recent in the greek area (no that it was totaly absent in ancient greece).

Anyway, for the subject at hand

http://www.newstime.gr/resources/200...humb-large.jpg greek

http://www.carmagazine.gr/assets/gal...apoutsis_1.jpg greek

http://media2.feed.gr/filesystem/ima..._type11758.jpg greek

http://cameraman.no.sapo.pt/SteveHarrisNEW.jpg Engish

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=P1050486.jpg and that's

me! I'm Pontic Greek

Oh, here's my photo in imageshack, maybe it's more usefull (if you like it afterall) https://img233.imageshack.us/img233/773/p1050486.jpg
    Last edited by Klearchos; 11-20-2009 at 15:22.
    "They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth. Hah! Time enough for the earth in the grave."

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: The EB Face Database: Faces Required For EBII!

Please drop the ethnicity discussion, guys. The team is well aware that there have been some major shifts in the past two millenia. This thread is for pictures of faces, nothing more.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Blog Entries

Last edited by Subotan; 11-20-2009 at 11:02.

Here is my ugly face. Hope it will made its way to EB2.
    I know it's not much to look at, but hei, I had sex once so it means that it's not totally hopeless.https://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4003/fazef.jpg
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention - I am of Russian origin with some asiatic blood in.
    Last edited by Tretii; 11-20-2009 at 12:33.

Thanks guys! good pictures
    Last edited by bobbin; 11-20-2009 at 15:22.

Exclamation Re: The EB Face Database: Faces Required For EBII!

Some info about Slavs
    Typical slav faces (automatic photo-compilation)

Slavs areal in 3 century BC - 3 century AD

http://chur.ho.ua/CHUR Official Webs...iles/slavs.jpg
    The map from the book of Boris Rybakov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Rybakov) "Ancient Slavic
    Paganism" (1981)
    Some info about Slavic paganism http://www.circe-argent.com/slavic_paganism.htm

Tribes and archaeological cultures

http://chur.ho.ua/CHUR Official Webs...lav tribes.jpg
    The map from the book of Boris Rybakov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Rybakov) "Herodotus' Scythia" (1979)

Slavs hair

Sorry for my English...
    Last edited by chur; 11-21-2009 at 03:05.

Could use this guy for an Irish/Scots.

https://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2830/1121091345.jpg

Nice one dudes. One of the photos from greece is a professor at my university. If I see him commanding a bunch of hoplites I will be laughing for the rest of my days. Maybe he 'll teach them finance. Hoplites who trade stocks and bonds. imagine that

I'm an italian american, but have no idea what area my face could be from, since the american side of my family is from both england and the czech republic, I'd say maybe a roman :
    https://img97.imageshack.us/img97/11...0716816836.jpg
    Last edited by Cyrus; 11-22-2009 at 13:09.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Guys, thanks for sharing these pictures, some of them will be useful. However, remember :
    the pictures have to be of good quality, and the faces have to be seen from the front. It's better if the faces have no expression (no smile, etc, but they can look a bit angry), and a good lightning too.
    (yes I'm quoting myself).
    Some pictures here are good, but a lot of them are impossible to use. Keep in mind there is no "magic tool" to change a bad quality picture into a good one. For exemple :
    Could use this guy for an Irish/Scots.

https://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2830/1121091345.jpg
    This guy could be an awesome irsh warrior, that's true. But the picture is totally blurred, so it's unusable.
    Same for your picture, cyrus.
    Last edited by Gustave; 11-22-2009 at 15:00.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast