Thread: The Progress Thread/List

Default The Progress Thread/List

Ok here it is people, plain and simple.
    Explanation at the bottom, this Progress List is purely for the sakes of the Beta.
    As you can see, if we are talking about the beta, we are not that far away.
    If we are talking about the final product, yes we still have some way to go, remember what we(and Kage) have lost here, half a year's work, so thats a setback yes.

UNITS
    -BATLEMAP UNITS (B.R.)
    -UNIT BALANCING (B.R.)
    -UNIT DESCRIPTIONS V
    -UNIT CARDS V
    -BANNERS (for the units) (B.R.)(turned off)
    BATTLEMAP HUD (B.R.)

GREYING OUT OPTIONS IN RELEASE X
    (simply, someone that greys out things like the campaign so the player doesn't get to play things not mean to be played,furthermore things like rams,dig sites and siege towers)

HISTORIC FIELD BATTLE OF KAWANAKJIMA V
    HISTORIC SIEGE BATTLE (SIEGE OF ANJO CASTLE) TESTING PHASE
    CUSTOM BATTLES (B.R.)
    DAIMYO'S(Captain's to lead the armies, they're done, but I don't have them yet) (B.R.) Daimyo's can be implemented after release, we still have Shingen/Kenshin/Nobunaga etc. for your pleasures in battle in the Beta.

BUILDINGS:
    -BATTLEMAP BUILDINGS (B.R.)
    -BUILDINGS TECH TREE ? (Still needs some looking into, before we can give this a status)(N.N.)
    -BUILDING CARDS (N.N.)
    -BUILDING DESCRIPTIONS (N.N.)
    -VEGETATION (N.N.)
    -SIEGE OF LEVEL 1 AND 2 SETTLEMENTS (N.N.)

TEXT-BASED:
    -CLAN HISTORY (B.R.)
    -TRAITS ? Needs looking into(N.N.)
    -ANCILLARIES ? " " " " "
    -QUOTES V

SOUNDS:

-MUSIC (B.R.)(Music is ready for the Beta, later we will add Garve's work)
    -VOICES (B.R.)
    -SOUNDS (B.R.)

ART:
    -MAIN MENU LOGO V
    -BACKGROUNDS V
    -PORTRAITS ?(Seijitai worked on these, needs looking into how far he got)(N.N.)
    -2D ART V
    -MOVIES (N.N.)(Maybe the intro for S:TW, maybe not)
    -INTERFACE/HUD ?(Battlemap HUD raises some questions if we still have it)

CAMPAIGN MAP:
    -FLORA (N.N.)
    -SHIPS V
    -RELIGIONS (N.N.)
    -STRAT MAP UNITS V
    -STRAT MAP BUILDINGS (N.N.)
    -CAMPAIGN SCRIPTS (N.N.)
    -RESOURCES (N.N.)
    -CAMPAIGN HUD V

And this is what it all means:

V = Totally Done
    (B.R.) = It is Beta Ready
    X = Still needs work(even for the Beta)
    ? = Unknown Status to me
    (N.N.) = Not needed for the Beta

There you have it.
    Last edited by Wundai; 01-16-2010 at 09:53.

Default Re: The Progress Thread/List

Thanks for the update, it's really welcome. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I was worrying whether or not anyone was working on this at all, and if all of your hard work was lost.

Fortunatly we have salvaged alot.

Btw Music is Beta Ready :)

Great news,
    was waiting for this moment a long long time... )))

I'm flabbergasted. I honestly thought the whole project had gone down the pan, especially when I discovered that Kagemusha had "retired".

Thanks Wundai for reigniting my hopes.

Btw, how did stuff get lost ?

P.S.

I'm not of an artistic bent, and have few computing skills, but if there's some donkey work you'd care to farm out then I'd like to make a contribution.
    Last edited by Vlodec; 11-21-2009 at 20:21. Reason: added info.

Kage had all the newest files, and his laptop crashed which destroyed half a years work he had made, that is also the reason he quit RNJ to be honest.

Thanks for the offer Vlodec, but we've already recruited quite some people to help the mod and I dare say we have enough to complete the beta with. :)

Thumbs down campaign in the beta release?

Hi all:)

A genuine question: will it be possible to choose a faction and play a campaign in the beta release?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Cyril.

No mate, with the current state of the beta and the files we managed to retrieve there will be no campaign present as it is nowhere complete.

Instead we have chosen to feature 2 fully working battles (one Siege Battle with Units and Buildings, and one skirmish battle) on historical locations with descriptions, cards, music, Japanese Voices etc.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wundai View Post
    Fortunatly we have salvaged alot.

Btw Music is Beta Ready :)
    Some of that was my music...

Anyway, whose working on the voices? I can work on the voices if no one else is. Especially if they're simply being ripped from STW - though I'll probably need to re-assimilate myself with the RTW sounds/voices, haven't worked with RTW for some years now.
    I've got heaps of time on my hands now and over christmas, so if RNJ needs help with audio once again, I'll be there to assist...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ... at least until January.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Heh actually we do have "Juntao"(a sound coder) working on the voices, he has already converted them for RTW use and is now working on putting them ingame ;)

Fixed the Main Menu Issue today using Alpha Layers.

-Added to the Progress List

(Not the only thing we're doing btw ;) )

Here is a list of thing the RNJ Team is working on right now:

These are both For the Beta and After the Beta:

-Me and Obiwan Asterix are trying to get the Building Descriptions Started

-Juggernaut has rejoined and is finishing all the "Japanese Clan History" chapters, you see in the beginning of every campaign. He has priority to make a description about the 2 Historical Battles in the beta though

-Wlesmana is making Fort models for both the Strat Map And Battlemap

-We are busy discussing the possibility of a Sourceforge Project, we tend to give the coders( Stuie and Max_minimod) the liberty of deciding themselves though, since it is in their best interest.

-TomteofDoom has pledged to help the team with his amazing 2-D Art, and will join in when he has the time.

-Taneda Santôka, when he gets online again will help with getting some old parts of the mod together, making a very nice RNJ Splash Screen (and I hope help with the Battlemap Hud which we lost )

-I myself am trying to get the Historical Battles working for the Beta( jummy CTD Paradise) with help of our coders/scripters.

-Juntao is coding the Voices into the mod

-I'm also working on the Building Cards (for after the Beta)

-Shogun144 is helping with distributing the RNJ version we have now to all mod-members that are in need of it.

End of progress update ;)
    Last edited by Wundai; 12-14-2009 at 20:47.

Thanks so much for the update Wundai.
    To the RNJ team: Really hope you guys keep it up.
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Thumbs down Re: The Progress Thread/List

I have to confess I was very disapointed to read that the beta would not include the possibility to play a campaign. Because I remember spending full nights with the shogun total war campaigns, and was very excited by the idea to play it again with better graphics.

But from the last post of wundai (whatever you sort out at the end thanks a lot mate to keep up informed), it seems to me that some "fresh blood" have revived the project and that things are planed for the stage after the first beta.

I really have the hope that the modding team will end up by sorting a playable campaign (although I imagine this means a huge amount of time and work).

Unfortunatly, I cannot help given that I have neither computer skills nor graphic one.

The only thing I could do would be to translate from english to french.......which is completly useless.
    Sorry for that guys, and courage!

Best regards,

cyril.

No probs,

Cyril, Raz thanks for the support.

I also hope for a fully workin campaign, but campaign coding is totally not my field.

Stuie and Max_Minimod are the ones (scripter/coder) who will hopefully sort the campaign out for us, but as you say this will take a lot of time/effort getting all the bugs out.

(Which actually is the main reason I did NOT want to include the campaign in the beta, mate, this would delay the release ANOTHER substantial amount of time and neither me nor you, would be happy about to hear about more delays)

Careful.
    I'd absolutely hate it if (after the beta release) you guys simply decided to "take a break" and we'd never see a full release. Which seemed to be very common amongst mods with massive delays before an initial release.

Wink Re: The Progress Thread/List

From what you said wundai, I think you are right not to implement a campaign mode in the first beta release if it's not completed.

Because I remember how disapointed I was when I tried the mod three kingdoms. They had made a good job, especially in terms of design and historical background, and issued a beta release including a campaign mode which was completly......unplayable.

Whatever the faction you choosed, you ended after e few dozen of turn by a complete campaign crash, as you stayed definitively stuck by a major bug like a return to desk top.

I think the modders where themselves so disapointed that they abandonned the project.

It would be a shame the same process would occure with ran no jidai.

I would play the skirmish mode or a historical battlefield with great pleasure anyway

Freindly yours, (and have a good chrismas!)

Cyril

Thanks mate my intentions exactly,

I have good news also, we have completed implementing all the Voices for the units in Ran No Jidai (used the SHOGUN TOTAL WAR sounds for this) all your Japanese units give orders and speak in Japanese now, no General's speech though, we'll see what we can do about that (maybe after beta)

Voices = Beta Ready!

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Historical Battles have reached TESTING PHASE

Banners turned off(looks nicer and doesn't affect final version banners status) + units have their own banners ;)

Thumbs down Re: The Progress Thread/List

I nice new years day gift;)

Happy new year to all of you!

Cyril

Hello Fans, here is an update on The Progress of Ran No Jidai:

-We have finished testing the Battle of Kawanakajima
    This is an Historic Battle which will pit the Takeda and Uesugi Clans against eachother, and you /the player\ will be the underdog in this battle(playing the Takeda)

-We have also completed the Quotes for Ran No Jidai, to give the game more atmosphere while you wait for your Battles to Start ;)
    It is quite a list from a lot of famous Generals/Daimyo's and other people in Japan during the Sengoku Jidai Period.

-On other news, we have also made a decision to Include Custom Battles in the Beta Release for you.
    Why? You have been waiting for 5 years and just to give out a beta that gives you 2 Historical Battles(Kawanakajima and Anjo Castle) is a very small Beta Release in our eyes.

Which is why we give you to opportunity to play a battle with EVERY CLAN and EVERY UNIT available in the game. This should keep you busy until we complete the campaign heh ;)
    We are currently testing all the maps that work with Custom Battle, which is why I have marked this as "Testing Phase"

I do have one Warning though to remind you "THIS is a beta release, we still have to weed out the SIEGING OF CITIES(and ofcourse other things/bugs but this one is more important to point out), which means you can look at all the cities in-battle, but since the time period only allowed for ladders some of the lower level cities (1 and 2 still have wooden wall/pallisade which works, but ladders werent available for these types)
    Which means a siege battle on a Level 1 or 2 Settlement will not grant the attacker siege equipment, since we only have ladders at our disposal. We are still thinking this through, so please bear with us this problem is known during the Beta Release. And disable your walls in this siege battle, to still have the experience. Futhermore we'll be counting on you to report some bugs, next to having alot of fun with the mod. :)

Well thats it from me, the little update, enjoy the weekend ;)

An extra message for the Guild, I am closing this thread so you can only look in it, to discuss what is said use the Ran No Jidai or progress threads, this way we can keep an overview of what is seen here. :)

Update:

Finished the Placeholder Battle HUD ( A Japanese one yes)

Finished Custom Battles for the Beta
    9 Playable Japanese Maps/Locations from mountain,forest and River Bridge Battles, to Coastal battles. With or without settlements.