Thread: The Ferghana Chronicles: A Baktrian AAR

Default The Ferghana Chronicles: A Baktrian AAR

Prologue

The lands of the Ferghana valley were inhabited by Greeks for centuries. Most of them descended from the Ionians of Mikra Asia. They were banished from their homes by the Persians after a failed uprising. In Ferghana however they continued their practices of trade and colonization.

The Makedonian conquest of Ferghana, marked a new era for the Greeks in the region. The new administrative center became Alexandreia “the Furthest”. The new rulers became engaged in a neverending conflict with the Saka confederation, north of Ferghana. Before the Ionian colonies where independent enough to stay out of war with their nomadic neighbours, although it took them lots of trade and tribute. But now they were dragged into a long-lasting, destructive war.

The Makedonians may have succesfully protected their regional capital Alexandreia, just south of the great Syr Darya river, they couldn’t control the whole region. Some Greek colonies north of the river needed to provide their own defences. The Saka conquest of Kangha posed a new threat to these cities. Scouts already reported some raiding parties were on their way to the Ferghana valley. Therefore a joint council was called to unite against the danger. One of the prominent speakers was a young man, aged twenty-eight, who went by the name of Theseus.

“I know we were called together here to discuss our answer to this
    new military threat from the north. I wil adress this later on. Let us
    first watch things from another point of view.

My grandfather, his father and his father’s father, all of them were
    delegates from my town to this council. But they were never called
    to unite against this kind of invasions or raids. Quite the contrary!
    Their cities grew and prospered thanks to the trade with their
    nomadic neighbours. Our nomadic neighbours!
    Back then, these councils were called to unite against the Persian
    king, against their own sovereign! They assembled to protect their
    autonomy within the great Persian empire.
    So my father, when he succeeded his father, defended in this same
    council a stand-offish policy against the new monarchs of Babylon
    and Persepolis: the Makedonians. But the majority of this assembly
    voted in favor of a rapprochement to the heirs of Alexandros. So
    my father sticked to their decision. He sticked to their decision until
    he was slain last year battling an invading Saka army.

My father fell in a war he never voted for. He sacrifised himself for a
    king he never truly respected. What for? For the unity of this council!
    The Sacred Unity of our League! So when this council has reached a
    decision, I will do like my father and stick to it. I'll lead my army
    wherever we require it to be.
    But now, within these walls, I will vote against another war with the
    Sakas. I will vote for this council to denounce Makedonian claims to
    this land, for subjection to the Saka king. I will even vote for joining
    the Saka armies against the Makedonians - we can give them the fine
    infantrymen they require.

This war we’re fighting now is not our war. It’s not even the war of
    the Makedonian king, nor that of his satraps of Baktria and Sogdiane.
    No, my honourable friends, most noble gentlemen: we are fighting
    nobody’s war.”

But again the council voted in favor of the king; the loyal Theseus assembled an army to march up north.
    A new Saka war was to be fought.

Contents:

Book 1: Haomavarga wars and Baktrian secession
    Chapter 1: Deposition
    Chapter 2: Nostalgia
    Chapter 3: Baktrian Affairs (Part I)
    Chapter 4: Baktrian Affairs (Part II) - Coming up
    Last edited by podoh; 05-15-2010 at 00:35. Reason: TOC
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

-count: a lot from Arthur, king of the Britons for some modding help.

Not Actually Greek... Member NickTheGreek's Avatar

Default Re: Patrokles of Marakande: A Bactrian AAR

Looks interesting, I like it. As far as images go imageshack can be very unreliable, in my experience photobucket is better.
    Balloons! - - A Very Super Market, - Tiberius Claudius Marcellus, - Machinor

Default Re: Patrokles of Marakande: A Bactrian AAR

Images are on photobucket now.
    Thanks for the advice. It's my first AAR, so I'm still learning these things.
    Last edited by podoh; 12-09-2009 at 11:50.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Default Houserules

I didn't start playing yet, I'm still thinking about the houserules and probably some extra modding.
    I also have to learn to work with screenshots properly, I can't seem to get them right for the first post. I should learn to edit them properly as well.

So, if people got some tips for houserules, feel free to post, but I've already found quite a lot of topics with such information.
    Also some advice on the images is always welcome.

Anyway, this is what I have at the moment:

EDIT: Replaced the houserules to the first post.
    Last edited by podoh; 12-21-2009 at 00:56.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Default Re: Patrokles of Marakanda: A Bactrian AAR

General camera might be obstructive to take good battle-screenshots.

Some interestings housrules may be:

- certain rules for armies (no phalangitai or horsearcher - stacks, make balanced armies)
    - certain rules for warfare: no mass-conquering. Destroy no factions , except if they REALLY make something terrible (f.e. mass attacking you for decades, assasinate an important FM or stuff). Better sack their capital, kill their Faction leader and then roleplay them becoming subordinates (by forcing them to be allies or a protectorate)
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    General camera might be obstructive to take good battle-screenshots.
    Good point, abandonned that rule.

EDIT: The next update will be in about a week, when I have time to play. So those of you who saw any promise in the first post don't have to worry: it's not prematurely dead.
    Last edited by podoh; 12-13-2009 at 13:11.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Chapter 1: Deposition

It has been some years since Patrokles was appointed Satrap by the Syrian king. He was sent to Sogdiane, a border region ever under threat from Saka raiders. Determined to secure the borders, determined to win prestige holding off barbarians, determined to launch his career from this easternmost wilderness, he accepted. The city of Marakanda excelled his expectations. It was quite developed, for it lay on some major trade routes from the east. He lived there in great luxury.

It was springtime, some fifty years after the death of Alexandros. Patrokles of Marakanda had long abandonned his early ideals, his former ambitions. Unable to stop Saka raiding in northern Sogdiane, he was forced to look for allies. He allowed some other peoples, most notably the Alans and the Massagetae, to dwell the steppes of northern Sogdiane. Their warriors would now defend these lands. That way he would only have to spill Greek blood in defense of southern Sogdiane. But this clearly wasnʼt the way of the Syrian king.

Patrokles was up north, meeting with the most important Alan leaders, planning a possible joint counteroffensive against some Saka tribes, when an envoy of the king arrived to say he was Satrap of Sogdiane no more. A replacement had already settled in Marakanda, with the city garrison on his side. Patrokles' Hetaroi were disbanded and returned to serve the usurper, Molon of Marakanda.

Patrokles' meeting with the Alan Nobles

But Patrokles decided quickly...

Firstly, he sent an envoy to his father-in-law, Theodotos Baktrios, Satrap of Baktria, informing him of his recent sacking. It is said that for Theodotos this massive loss of influence for his family was a breaking point in his relation with the Syrian king; that it was the prime cause of the Baktrian secession a few years later.

Secondly, he still spoke to the Alan leaders, told them about the Seleucid intentions to rehellenize northern Sogdiane. Most of them immediately returned to their tribes and furiously started to raid Seleucid Sogdiane. Exactly what he wanted. But a few of them were convinced to join Patrokles himself. A mix of Greek colonists and Alan nobles would form his new bodyguard. Fighting in fine Greek equipment, but using nomadic tactics, the Hetaroi Hippotoxotai were born.

Lastly, he sent his respected diplomat and life-long friend, Dion Nysaios, eastward. His goal was to make peace with the Sakas in his name, and in the name of the Satrapy of Baktria. This would clear their hands for an effective anti-Seleucid policy.

Patrokles himself would go to Baktria, where his father-in-law would give him a temporary office. From there he would just wait for an opportunity. This wasnʼt the end of his carreer, it was a glorious new chance.
    Last edited by podoh; 02-12-2010 at 23:52.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Chapter 2: Nostalgia

The journey across the steppes seemed endless. They were about halfway to Marakanda. But Patrokles didnʼt want to stop there. They would travel straight to Baktra, where his brother-in-law was expecting him. Message had come to him that his father-in-law had left on campaign. A campaign against some Saka intruders that threatened the access to a rich precious stone deposit. Patrokles didnʼt particularly like his brother-in-law, but that wasnʼt what bothered him.

In his mind he returned to Theodosia, a subject city of the Bosporan Kingdom. The place were he grew up. Patrokles descended from a Miletan merchant family. His ancestors fled to Theodosia - back then a Miletan colony - after they had actively supported the Ionian Revolt [499-493 BCE]. While Milete was ruled by a Persian tyrant, they could live free in Theodosia. But this freedom did not last forever. Some 120 years later the city was taken by a Thracian tyrant: the Spartocid king of Pantikápaion, Leucon [around 385 BCE]. The family stayed, but the memories of freedom were passed on from father to son.

When Patrokles turned sixteen [288 BCE] he decided to leave Theodosia. He left for Milete, the town of his ancestors. Milete hadnʼt been free ever since they left, but at least it was ruled by a Macedon king [Lysimachus]. Although he regarded the Macedonians still as barbarians, they werenʼt as bad as a the Thracians. Also the city of Milete had earned itʼs fame as a centre of knowledge. For an ambitious young student like him it was a good place to go to.

One barbarian king was replaced by another [281 BCE], but for the ambitious Patrokles new opportunities arose. Not only was he a clever and charismatic young man. Growing up in Theodosia he also knew a lot about Scythian culture, for these peoples often dwelled the lands of the Cimmerian Bosporos. The new king - Seleucos Nikator - needed men like him, because of his never ending wars with the far eastern Sakas, who were closely related to the Scythians. Full of confidence Patrokles travelled to Seleucosʼ western capital, Antiocheia. From then on things went fast. After three years [278 BCE] he was summoned by Seleucosʼ successor Antiochos. He became his adviser on Saka affairs. After five years [276 BCE] he succeeded in marrying into the family of Theodotos, satrap of Baktria. After seven years [274 BCE], thanks to the efforts of his father-in-law, he was appointed satrap of Sogdiane himself.

Patrokles of Marakanda

But donʼt be mistaken by this appointment: Patrokles and Antiochos didnʼt get along. He was merely made Satrap for his competence and his relations. Antiochos quickly noticed that Patrokles was unsoundly ambitious. Morover he disrespected his monarchy in particular and all authority in general. In short, Antiochos never really trusted him. Patroklesʼ oncoming policy towards the Sakas and the emerging poleis of Sogdiane only proved him right.

So in the end Patroklesʼ deposition wasnʼt a surprise at all. But it did strengthen Patrokles in his resentment against what he regarded as tyranny. And while the Syrian king lost his respect, he started to appreciate his nomadic enemies more and more. Off course this didnʼt just happen at once. Already in his youth, on the estates of his family near Theodosia, he gained some respect for the Scythian traders that came by. For the ruthless taxation of the Bosporan king on the other hand, he never felt any appreciation. But only after his deposition these feelings took the upper hand, partly because his growing respect for some of the Alan nobles. Also he began to more actively propagate the democratic visions his father taught him.

From then on Patrokles regarded a good barbarian as a Greek and a bad Greek as a barbarian - just like Alexandros. Only to him Alexandros himself and his tyrannic successors were barbarians. His Alan hetaroi or the Scythian traders of his youth on the other hand became Greeks.
    Last edited by podoh; 02-13-2010 at 00:10.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Those were excellent chapters, I'll be following this!
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

A good start and promising AAR, watching this...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Very nice. I liked the story of how the Hetaroi Hippotoxotai came to be.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Thanks for the encouragements, guys!

The next three weeks I'll be busy making exams.
    Seen the amount of modding I still need to do, it's not likely that I'll finish an update in those weeks.

So the next chapter will probably materialize towards the beginning of february.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

The chapter that used to be in this post, is now repositioned to the top of the thread to serve as a prologue.
    I'm sorry for that, I'm a bit of an obsessional re-writer.
    Last edited by podoh; 02-14-2010 at 15:03. Reason: obsessional rewriting
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

A great AAR, the last Baktrian AAR i can think of is book of Kings, unless i'm mistaken. Please tell me if i am.
    Last edited by the man with no name; 03-09-2010 at 01:27.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

For those of you who are waiting for real manly action:

The next two chapters are supposed to have some battles in it. Stay tuned.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Blog Entries

Proceed.

I have started playing the campaign at last.
    I've already got material for the next two and a half chapters; the images for the next one are already cropped.

Also I requested a change of name with the mods. So don't be surprised when the title of this thread changes into "The Ferghana Chronicles".
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

I'm looking forward to you next chapter.
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

As an author of three abortive AARs I am the last one who should be prodding anybody and I know all too well how much effort it takes to make one and how much real life interferes with such a project. But this one looks so promising that I just hope it is not dead already and I wish you best luck in making it endure!!!

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    As an author of three abortive AARs I am the last one who should be prodding anybody and I know all too well how much effort it takes to make one and how much real life interferes with such a project. But this one looks so promising that I just hope it is not dead already and I wish you best luck in making it endure!!!
    I'm for that.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

Excuse me for this late answer, but the last weeks have been pretty busy for me, in a week or so I'll have more time to start writing again.
    I've already got about half of the next chapter, I'm just struggling a bit with battle descriptions; I'm still looking for an appropriate "voice" for those.

It's good to know some people are waiting though; that should keep me motivated.
    Last edited by podoh; 03-13-2010 at 18:02.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

I love how you put the unit/general icons in the campaign map to show the units in the stack.

Influence:

Quote Originally Posted by Molinaargh View Post
    I love how you put the unit/general icons in the campaign map to show the units in the stack.
    Patrokles looks like he's in the air, if you know what I mean (high).
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Chapter 3: Baktrian Affairs (Part I)

Theodotos, satrap of Baktria, first heard about the deposition of his son-in-law at the worst possible time. His lands were once again threatened by nomadic raiders and once again he couldn't count on the support of the Syrian king. He had already delayed his campaign with a month, hoping for royal reinforcements to arrive. The intruders used this delay to take control of an important rich stone deposit. When the news of Patrokles arrived, he decided he should wait no longer. Why should he be loyal to a king who so blatantly disrespected the interests of both his noble family and his suffering subjects?

Theodotos marched his levied army eastward. He halted his army at an important river crossing near the invaders. This way they wouldn't be able to cut his supply lines, or to march all the way to Baktra. He hoped, however, that they would be foolish enough to try.

Spring passed without hostilities, so Theodotos decided to march further. This time he picked a favourable battleground very near the camp of the invaders. But again the season passed without a confrontation. His scouts told him the enemy army had taken a defensive position. They continued plundering the riches of the lands they had occupied, although their force was probably no match for the Baktrian army. When the summer passed, Theodotos decided he could not wait another winter. If he couldn't fight off the invaders at his own terms, he was obliged to risk a difficult attack.

The enemy had positioned upon a steep hill. Since their army consisted of very capable missile troops, this could have proved to be very deadly for the Baktrians. But Theodotos knew just how to counter this. Rather than approaching the enemy in the open, Theodotos let his men climb the hill on the side covered by trees. It was the steepest side, but at least it provided some cover against the missile fire. He would move in his phalanxes first, trying to drive the enemy cavalry away from the hilltop and thus securing the hill for his own archers. The archers would stay hidden in the woods while the phalangitai completed this dangerous task.

The phalangitai approaching the enemy through the woods: will they drive away the horses on the hilltop?

Some archers hiding in the woods: protected against missile fire, but not immune.

Theodotos' plan worked pretty well: the phalangitai slowly pushed back the horse archers on the hill. In an attempt to counter this the enemy commander sent some local archer-spearman auxilaries down the hill to outflank the phalanxes. At this point Theodotos himself decided to take on the flankers. They quickly routed when the charge of Theodotos fine horsemen came in. Now however Theodotos found himself chased by the enemy's heavy cavalry.

The local archer-spearmen, the Baktrian noble cavalry and some Saka heavy lancers: who's chasing who?

Fleeing from their swift and lightly armored horses wasn't really an option. That's why Theodotos made his horsemen turn around and confront the enemy in melee. It was a vicious fight: the opponent may have had lighter weapons and armor, their numbers where greater than Theodotos' cavalry. Luckily one of the main phalangitai commanders noticed that his master was in trouble. Half of the phalanx-troops was sent down the hill for assistance. When they arrived, the Saka heavy cavalry started to fall like flies and Theodotos was able to retreat safely. This maneuver however left the other half of the phalangitai exposed against a superior cavalry force on the hill. It didn't take long untill they experienced a fierce flank attack themselves.

The first half of the phalangitai: heroic saviors!

The other half of the phalangitai: always ready to save their commander, but will he be able to save them?

Theodotos had barely retreated from the fight when he heard their alarming signals from the hilltop. He knew they didn't have the time to rest their horses; his phalangitai up there needed assistance. Theodotos' horsemen ran as fast as possible up to the fight and performed a succesful surprise charge against the enemy: the flank of his pikemen was secured again. The enemy commander strategically pulled back his last horsemen on the hill. Meanwhile, the other half of the phalangitai had succesfully defeated their opponent. With the hill secured, the archers could finally climb the hill; but there weren't a lot of enemies left to fire at.

Horses vs. pikes: the enemy wisely retreats, the hill is ours!

The enemy must have realised the battle was nearly lost. In a last attempt to turn the tide, they rallied what was left of their cavalry and performed a final charge, straight into the Baktrian pikes. In most cases this kind of cavalry charge wouldn't stand a chance against a wall of well-trained pikemen, but these were only native levies. Theodotos did not want to risk a morale drop that would make his phalangitai rout, so he charged his own cavalry in one last time. This broke the enemy's last resistance; the battle was won!

The last resistance crushed between pikes and noble cavalrymen.

The battle had gone pretty well, but some regiments had taken considerable losses. The flank attack against some of the phalangitai had proven pretty deadly. Also, more importantly, many nobles of Theodotos' personal bodyguard where dead or gravely wounded. But alltogether the losses weren't overwhelming and the invasion was crushed easily.

This victory wasn't the end of the campaign though. Theodotos wanted to secure his lands from new invasions, so he would continue his into the lands of the attackers. He didn't want to rush it though. He set up winter camp at the banks of the next great river and from there he tried to build an informant network. Some of his agent succeeded in going deep into unknown territory and take back valuable information for the upcoming campaign.

The most interesting informations came from a man called Kineas of Taxila. His informants had hit upon the core of the problem.

The invading army had been lead by a man called Oxybazes. His father had been king of the Haomavarga confederation, a Scythian tribe that lived in the mountainous area northeast of Baktria. When his father died he left three sons claiming succession: the oldest son Pidanos, a man of great influence and governing skills, but no good as a commander; the second son Oxybazes, a fierce fighter and respected military leader; and the youngest son Aryandes, both a fierce fighter and a man of great influence.
    His father had always thought Aryandes would be his successor, but at the time of his death Aryandes lacked the commanding and governing experience of his elder brothers. They quickly made a pact to be recognized as co-leaders, knowing that individually Aryandes had the best chance to take control. Aryandes only just managed to escape an assasination plot of his brothers and fled into a far corner of the region. There he was recognised as king by a small part of the tribe. With Aryandes still alive, the co-rulers needed to strengthen the legitimacy of their leadership. Oxybazes started his campaign in Baktria. Pidanos build a permanent fort in one of the most important mountain passes of the region and from there he managed the affairs of the confederation. Untill the death of Oxybazes their joint rule worked pretty well. But the news of his death hadn't yet reached his subjects, so it was unclear how they would react.

Pidanos' permanent settlement

Upon hearing this information, Theodotos decided to try and conquer the region. Pacifying the Haomavargai would greatly improve the security of his own lands. With Oxybazes dead the leadership of the tribe was unclear, so the time was right for an invasion. He hadn't figured out if he wanted to support the claim of Aryandes or that of Pidanos. The former was the type of leader that inspired the Haomavargai the most: a brave fighter and a charismatic leader. The latter wasn't as widely supported, but he was more likely to be loyal to Baktrian authority. If he wanted to start his campaign next spring, he had to choose quickly.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

Blog Entries

Keep up the good work

Excellent stuff.
    This space intentionally left blank.

From Bactria he entered Sogdiana
    Across the fertile pastures of Ferghana,
    the hunting lands of arrow, spear and sabre,
    of Genghis Khan and Tamerlane and Baber.
    His Macedonian coins still come to hand,
    In Merv, Bukhara and in Samarkand

- Mersey: Alexander of Macedon

motivation for an update

The progress of the next chapter:
    - I have played it already
    - I have already cropped some images
    - I already decided on the most important stroylines
    - Some text is forming in my head
    - I haven't written down anything yet

Thanks for the reactions, they keep me going.
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

In the Saka steppe, leading his Yeuzhi Nobles into your ancestral homeland....and eating

Seems good bro, keep it up!
    I am a Nomad steppe Kha-khan and have been since my first Parthia campaign in vanilla some years ago.
    from Brennus being the first entrant into the Nomad Screenshot contest.

Check out my Playtest of giving hoplite units the phalanx attribute!
    Saka Late Cataphract "Bodyguard Cavalry" Fix (Thanks to Brave Brave Sir Robin)