Thread: Creating a General

Default Creating a General

can anyone tell me how you create Generals or point me to an existing thread in M2TW

Default Re: Creating a General

Normally to increase your amount of generals you must increase the number of male family members.One way of doing this is by approving marriages or marrige proposals to the female members of the family.If a proposal is made to one of your male family members then you loose that member of the family to the faction that proposed.As far as I am aware captains cannot become generals no matter how well they perform on the battlefield.When developing a generals traits it is important to consider how that genereal acts after battle.If a general takes a settlement and then exterminates the populace then he acquires a dread trait.Generals with high dread traits tend not to fair so well in governing settlements where generals with high chivalry tend to fair out better.I have generals with high dread traits who do all the fighting and I have generals who do the governing(high chivalry traits).The AI generates the marrige proposals so its not actually possible to create a general you can only develop one.The amount of generals you have is really luck of the draw and how many proposls you accept or reject.Hope this helps.

Vlad1, you are wrong about the captain issue - it is possible for one to become a general in a "Man of the Hour" event, which happens when that captain wins a particularly impressive fight. Killing enemy generals is a great way to trigger it.

Thank you me lord.I stand corrected!

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

The best way of creating generals on the battlefield is by doing it Sevis' way, ie using a captain-led stack with odds of at least 1:1 against it... Works rather well with any kind of heavy cavalry against a small rebel stack or enemy faction stragglers...

But remember this rule of thumb : you cannot have MoH events if your number of generals/family members equals/exceeds your number of territories.

Most MoH generals will be above average regarding stats... So it is one of the best way to add some to your factions, though it requires a certain "ballsiness" to take on an enemy stack with unfavorable odds...

Another good way of adding valauble generals to your faction is by spotting enemy valuable ones and using your princess (or princesses', Spain is the best for this kind of things) to bring them into your family.

Istvan (Hungarian family member) is one of the most valuable that comes to mind in the first game turns...
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 12-28-2009 at 18:13.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

thank you all for your help, thats given food for thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Middlesex View Post
    can anyone tell me how you create Generals or point me to an existing thread in M2TW
    I can via the modding route. Before you turn this method away, please note that if you follow the instructions below exactly, it takes at most 2 minutes to make the necessary changes to the game so you can actually recruit general units (not just the bodyguard, the character with the command, chivalry/dread, loyalty & pious). This method is also very easy, nothing complex here!

I'm assuming you are talking about the core medieval 2 game. (in which case files are already unpacked)

Go to C:/Program Files/SEGA/Medieval II Total War/Data

Make a folder and name it 'back up files' then find the export_descr_buildings.txt file and copy then paste it into the 'back up files' folder. This is so you have your normal game file & a spare one in-case you make a mistake & need to revert back to your original file.

Ok now your all backed up so you can't actually ruin your game now, which is good.

Make sure your in the Data folder, now open export_descr_buildings.txt in notepad. I emphasize edit the one in medieval II Total War/Data, not the one in the 'back up file' folder. Once you've opened the file find a suitable building that would be ideal for recruiting generals from, I suggest an advanced stables or advanced core building. You may want to follow my example here.

Find this in the file, it's close to the top:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    huge_stone_wall city requires factions { northern_european, mesoamerican, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Conquistadores" 1 0.5 4 1 requires factions { spain, portugal, } and hidden_resource america
    recruit_pool "Swiss Guard" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { papal_states, }
    recruit_pool "Hussars" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { poland, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "Cossack Musketeers" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { russia, } and event_counter gunpowder_discovered 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Conquistadores" 1 0.5 4 1 requires factions { spain, portugal, } and hidden_resource america
    recruit_pool "Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, Normans, }
    recruit_pool "Italian Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, }
    recruit_pool "EE Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { poland, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "EE Archer Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { russia, }
    recruit_pool "SE Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { moors, turks, mongols, timurids, }
    recruit_pool "ME Archer Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { egypt, }
    recruit_pool "Peasant Spearmen" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { Saxons, }
    recruit_pool "Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, Normans, }
    recruit_pool "Italian Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, }
    recruit_pool "EE Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { poland, russia, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "SE Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { moors, egypt, turks, mongols, timurids, }
    recruit_pool "Archer Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { england, }
    recruit_pool "Scots Pike Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { scotland, }
    recruit_pool "Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, }
    recruit_pool "Genoese Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Pavise Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { venice, papal_states, sicily, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "EE Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { poland, russia, }
    recruit_pool "S Archer Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { moors, }
    recruit_pool "Saracen Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { egypt, turks, }
    recruit_pool "Sabadar Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { timurids, }
    recruit_pool "Mongol Horse Archers" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { mongols, }
    recruit_pool "Mounted Sergeants" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { Normans, }
    recruit_pool "Theigns" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { Saxons, }
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Broken Lances" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Noble Pikemen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { scotland, }
    recruit_pool "Scots Guard" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { france, }
    recruit_pool "Christian Guard" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { moors, }
    recruit_pool "Broken Lances" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, }
    wall_level 4
    tower_level 1
    gate_strength 2
    free_upkeep bonus 6
    happiness_bonus bonus 3
    recruitment_slots 3
    }
    material stone
    construction 4
    cost 9600
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }

For my example I'll add the General unit to a huge stone wall, of course you can add it to any building you see fit. Now make the following changes to the file: (changes in bolded and red to show what you add)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

huge_stone_wall city requires factions { northern_european, mesoamerican, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Conquistadores" 1 0.5 4 1 requires factions { spain, portugal, } and hidden_resource america
    recruit_pool "Swiss Guard" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { papal_states, }
    recruit_pool "Hussars" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { poland, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "Cossack Musketeers" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { russia, } and event_counter gunpowder_discovered 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Conquistadores" 1 0.5 4 1 requires factions { spain, portugal, } and hidden_resource america
    recruit_pool "Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, Normans, }
    recruit_pool "Italian Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, }
    recruit_pool "EE Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { poland, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "EE Archer Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { russia, }
    recruit_pool "SE Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { moors, turks, mongols, timurids, }
    recruit_pool "ME Archer Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { egypt, }
    recruit_pool "Peasant Spearmen" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { Saxons, }
    recruit_pool "Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, Normans, }
    recruit_pool "Italian Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, }
    recruit_pool "EE Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { poland, russia, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "SE Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Spear Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { moors, egypt, turks, mongols, timurids, }
    recruit_pool "Archer Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { england, }
    recruit_pool "Scots Pike Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { scotland, }
    recruit_pool "Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, }
    recruit_pool "Genoese Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Pavise Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { venice, papal_states, sicily, hungary, }
    recruit_pool "EE Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { poland, russia, }
    recruit_pool "S Archer Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Crossbow Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { moors, }
    recruit_pool "Saracen Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { egypt, turks, }
    recruit_pool "Sabadar Militia" 0 0.000001 0.999 0 requires factions { timurids, }
    recruit_pool "Mongol Horse Archers" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { mongols, }
    recruit_pool "Mounted Sergeants" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { Normans, }
    recruit_pool "Theigns" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { Saxons, }
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Broken Lances" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Noble Pikemen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { scotland, }
    recruit_pool "Scots Guard" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { france, }
    recruit_pool "Christian Guard" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { moors, }
    recruit_pool "Broken Lances" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, }
    recruit_pool "NE Bodyguard" 0.5 0.1 1 0 requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, poland, hungary, normans, saxons, }
    recruit_pool "SE Bodyguard" 0.5 0.1 1 0 requires factions { spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, }
    recruit_pool "EE Bodyguard" 0.5 0.1 1 0 requires factions { russia, }
    recruit_pool "Greek Bodyguard" 0.5 0.1 1 0 requires factions { byzantium, }
    recruit_pool "ME Bodyguard" 0.5 0.1 1 0 requires factions { moors, egypt, turks, }

wall_level 4
    tower_level 1
    gate_strength 2
    free_upkeep bonus 6
    happiness_bonus bonus 3
    recruitment_slots 3
    }
    material stone
    construction 4
    cost 9600
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }

This will allow you to build the general unit from any huge city, in my case, but at a slow rate (you could have them appear at a fast rate but I will that is too generous. ) Save then close the file.

Almost done!

All you have to do now is, if you haven't already, go to your medieval II total war shortcut, make sure its the shortcut you use to launch the game. (I assume it is on your desktop, or perhaps in the medieval II total war folder) right click on it & click properties.

Where the target line is something similar to this or like this should be present.

"C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Launcher.exe"

change this to:

"C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Launcher.exe" --io.file_first

And that's it! The io file first thing is so that your changes can be seen in game by the way, without it you won't notice any difference. If you feel you don't need this then that is fine, but it seems like a good idea for you, to me.
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-02-2010 at 17:12.

Using custom campaign mod I'm able to recruit new generals (with either inf and cav bodyguard units) when I get a city with a huge wall.

Does this Mod allow you to create the actual generals or just their bodyguards?

e.g. if you put one of these units in the recruitment line then an actual general, who is on your family tree type general, will be made?

By inserting the general's bodyguard into the recruitment line by modding, you'll be able to recruit an actual general with a bodyguard which replenishes when damaged. He will not, however, enter the family tree as a family member, but will instead be a named character labelled as a "general."

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    By inserting the general's bodyguard into the recruitment line by modding, you'll be able to recruit an actual general with a bodyguard which replenishes when damaged. He will not, however, enter the family tree as a family member, but will instead be a named character labelled as a "general."
    I've done this and I have yet to see general's bodyguard on the recruitment pool.

Quote Originally Posted by chobo View Post
    I've done this and I have yet to see general's bodyguard on the recruitment pool.
    Do you have a city with a huge wall? Perhaps some other requirements are missing. I haven't used the mod myself.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

when i try to write inn the "--io.file_first", i get a message that says the shortcut or path is incorrect... any help?

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

In Stainless Steel you can recruit generals at Citadel level.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!