Thread: historically correct extent of the Roman Republic at ca. 107 BC

Default historically correct extent of the Roman Republic at ca. 107 BC

Hi to all,

for this ist my first post here, I'd like to start by saying thank you team for EB. What you did is simply amazing and I have spent uncountable hours playing it.

Now for my question. At the moment im playing a Romani campain and I'm trying to play as historically correct as possible. I'm planning to get Marian Reforms at around 107 BC. I need at least 45 provinces and was wasking myself, what exact provinces this should be?

I'm sure about:

Hispania: Bocchoris, Emporion, Arse, Mastia, Gader, Sucum-Murgi, Baikor, Oxtraca, Numantia (9 provinces)
    Gallia Transalpina: Tolosa, Massalia (2)
    Sardinia et Corsica: Alalia, Karali (2)
    Italia (11)
    Sicilia (3)
    Africa: Atiqa, Kart-Hadast, Adrumeto (3)
    Macedonia: Epidamnos, Ambrakia, Pella, Demetrias (4)
    Achaia: Thermon, Athenai, Chalkis, Korinthos, Sparta (4)
    Asia: Pergamon, Sardis, Halikarnassos (3)

This would be 41 Provinces, 4 short. What do you think are could be the 4 remaining provinces? I'm thinking of

- Mytilene (as far as I now it become roman at around 80 BC, but maybe it could by a client kingdom)
    - Segestica and Dalminion (but although Romans had some holdings at the coast of Illyricum at this time, I fear those two are to far away from the coast)
    - Ipsos (did the Provincia Asia really stretch so far in the hinterland at this time?)
    - any other ideas?

Thanks for all replies and sorry for my bad English.

Default Re: historically correct extent of the Roman Republic at ca. 107 BC

Nothing wrong with your English.

I posted a timeline a while back.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

The Marian reforms doesn't take place around 107BCE ingame...few people actually plays that far. In most of my games, I've conquered most of the world by the 160s BCE...and every season (2 per turn) takes about 2 hours to complete.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Gracchus View Post
    Achaia: Thermon, Athenai, Chalkis, Korinthos, Sparta (4)
    Thermon, Athenai, Chalkis, Korinthos, Sparta make 5 provinces.

You could add:
    Vellika and Pallantia in Iberia
    Segestica and Dalminion in Illyria
    Kirta and Ippone in North Africa
    Rhodos

And last but not least, welcome to the org.
    Last edited by Poulp'; 01-15-2010 at 10:20. Reason: grammar nazi edit

Oh yes, it was a Virgin poster :-D

Welcome.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

Thanks for the link, Macilrille, great work there. And thanks for all the other answers.

It seems, Dalminion and Segestica are really no option, just as I thougt. I also think, that taking Vellika and Pallantia before or at 107 BC would be to early. As far as I know these regions were taken by Caesar Augustus during the Cantabrian Wars.

Concerning Kirtan and Ippone I think it would be more correct to take them at 46 BC.

So maybe I could take Lepki and make it a client Kingdom, it seems it was allied to Rome starting shortly after 112 BC (see http://www.livius.org/le-lh/lepcis_magna/lepcis01.html). Not sure, how dependent it was on Rome, but maybe enough?

Probably I will have to take Ipsos too, even if it's not on the coast.

Then Mytilene maybe? According to Wiki it was taken at 80 BC, but perhaps it was "allied" to Rome earlier?

I just don't know how to feel about taking Rhodos. It was in deed allied with Rome since around 164 BC, but as far as I know it remained quite independent until far after 107 BC.

Thermon, Athenai, Chalkis, Korinthos, Sparta make 5 provinces.
    Of course, seems I'm to stupid to count.

So just adding Lepki, Mytilene and Ipsos to the mentioned cities would be enough.

The Marian reforms doesn't take place around 107BCE ingame...
    Well, in my campain they will...

I'm currently at 134 BC and next year I will be taking Numantia and Asia Minor from "Pergamon". I also have a potential Reformer (a Sempronius Gracchus ) who is s/c/v and popularis. At the moment he it just Ex-Aedil, but I'm confident he will become consul one day just like his father.

Thanks for the link, Macilrille, great work there. And thanks for all the other answers.

It seems, Dalminion and Segestica are really no option, just as I thougt. I also think, that taking Vellika and Pallantia before or at 107 BC would be to early. As far as I know these regions were taken by Caesar Augustus during the Cantabrian Wars.

Concerning Kirtan and Ippone I think it would be more correct to take them at 46 BC.

So maybe I could take Lepki and make it a client Kingdom, it seems it was allied to Rome starting shortly after 112 BC (see http://www.livius.org/le-lh/lepcis_magna/lepcis01.html). Not sure, how dependent it was on Rome, but maybe enough?

Probably I will have to take Ipsos too, even if it's not on the coast.

Then Mytilene maybe? According to Wiki it was taken at 80 BC, but perhaps it was "allied" to Rome earlier?

I just don't know how to feel about taking Rhodos. It was in deed allied with Rome since around 164 BC, but as far as I know it remained quite independent until far after 107 BC.

Of course, seems I'm to stupid to count.

So just adding Lepki, Mytilene and Ipsos to the mentioned cities would be enough.

Well, in my campain they will...

I'm currently at 134 BC and next year I will be taking Numantia and Asia Minor from "Pergamon". I also have a potential Reformer (a Sempronius Gracchus ) who is s/c/v and popularis. At the moment he it just Ex-Aedil, but I'm confident he will become consul one day just like his father.
    Well it seems another history fanatic has joined the forums.. I also feel a need to play with factions as historicaly as possible, and i also tried to wait for the Marians, but the game got to lagy, so i quited it.
    As you, i have only conquered cities in their due time, and nothing sooner. I try that with every faction. Too bad that you can't play like this with the Hai or Pontos, because the AI just won't let you live
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Well it seems another history fanatic has joined the forums.
    Probably you're right. I had a 1st punic war of 23 years and a 2nd punic war of 19 years. I even had my Cannae. I still got that marker of a carthaginian heroic victory on my campain map in southern Italy.

Probably you're right. I had a 1st punic war of 23 years and a 2nd punic war of 19 years. I even had my Cannae. I still got that marker of a carthaginian heroic victory on my campain map in southern Italy.
    Wow, now that's just extreme. I hadn't had that kind of luck. The punic wars lasted like they should, but no Cannae or Trebia or Trasimene. It was just Illipa, Metaurus and Zama.. ( Meaning i didn't loose a single battle against Carthage).

How did you do your cannae? Did you teleport an army in south Italy?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Wow, now that's just extreme.
    That's just what my wife says.

How did you do your cannae? Did you teleport an army in south Italy?
    Yep, that's what I did. I found a young "lonely" (=without army) carthaginian FM and transported him to northern Italy. His name wasn't Hannibal, but nobody's perfect. Then I gave him about 15-16 units, african, iberian and celtic. First I purposely lost two battles against him in northern Italy (Trebia and lacus Trasimenus; later I realized, that I forgot Ticinus). In summer 216 I teleported him to southern Italy near Arpi and attacked him with a fullstack consular army. I had more and bigger units and he has had some losses at Trebia and Lacus Trasimenus, so I had numerical superiority. I charged his center with all my units and he enveloped my army -> all my soldiers killed (so not quite exactly historical), two of my FMs dead -> carthaginian heroic victory.

After Cannae I FDed Capua, Taras and Syrakousai to Carthago in the due years and kept "Hannibal" south of Rhegion, so he wouldn't just go to one of these cities and just sit there. A few times I had to reduce the population of these cities in order to prevent Carthago from upgrading the the palace. (Didn't want to have carthaginian looking cities in Italia.) Some sieges of these cities failed, but finally they were "liberated". Later I teleported "Hannibal" to Africa so he could meet his destiny in the shape of young Cornelius Scipio, who got "Africanus" after Zama. Until then Scipio had conquered all carthaginian cities in Hispania.

It may be "a bit" extreme, but it's a hell of a campain and totally funny, rome:total fun, so to speak.

Can you copy and paste your exact console code?

I'm having a bit of trouble spawning armies... =(
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    The Marian reforms doesn't take place around 107BCE ingame...few people actually plays that far. In most of my games, I've conquered most of the world by the 160s BCE...and every season (2 per turn) takes about 2 hours to complete.
    I have played very far. Twice already. The current year in my campaign (see my AAR) is 69 BC, a turn takes me about 5 minutes. So it really depends on your gameplay style.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    I have played very far. Twice already. The current year in my campaign (see my AAR) is 69 BC, a turn takes me about 5 minutes. So it really depends on your gameplay style.
    Well, I'm playing on VH campaign mode, and I have to fight like 4-5 battles every turn, figure out and order up 20-30 construction and unit training orders for my 30-40 cities, maneuver around my 10 armies, maneuver around my 20 diplomats, spies, assassins, etc... So a turn for me literally takes forever... ='(
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 01-20-2010 at 03:29.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    Can you copy and paste your exact console code?

I'm having a bit of trouble spawning armies... =(
    As far as I know, you can only create units in a city or for a family mamber outside a city. For example if you want to create a unit of gaesatae with 1 armor, weapons and experience upgrade for a FM named Hannibal, you have to type:

create_unit "Hannibal ofcarthago" "celtic infantry gaesatae" 1,1,1,1

If yout want to create the same unit in Atiqa, then type: create_unit "Atiqa" "celtic infantry gaesatae" 1,1,1,1

You can create up to 4 units at the same time, if you want more, you just have to type this again.

Remember, that you have to use the internal unit names, just look them up in the EDU or in the unit cards.

And be sure only to give those units to a faction of which they have ownership. If not there can be trouble.

As far as I know, you can only create units in a city or for a family mamber outside a city. For example if you want to create a unit of gaesatae with 1 armor, weapons and experience upgrade for a FM named Hannibal, you have to type:

create_unit "Hannibal ofcarthago" "celtic infantry gaesatae" 1,1,1,1

If yout want to create the same unit in Atiqa, then type: create_unit "Atiqa" "celtic infantry gaesatae" 1,1,1,1

You can create up to 4 units at the same time, if you want more, you just have to type this again.

Remember, that you have to use the internal unit names, just look them up in the EDU or in the unit cards.

And be sure only to give those units to a faction of which they have ownership. If not there can be trouble.
    cool thxs imma try that
    -Albert Einstein

Necro...

Who on earth made the Carties?

I am penciling down names of units in order to add to all threatened Eleutheroi as an experiment in a newly started Roman campaign, trying to slow down blitzing for a more historical expansion.

So, looking in the EDU I come to the Carties, look at an example, carthaginian infantry dorkim leebi-feenikim meshoorianim Ye Gods!!!