Thread: Maratha is overpowered

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Maratha is overpowered

Maratha is extremely overpowered, in all aspects. Their Bargir Infantry can take out my Line Infantry without any problems and in order for me to have any chances of winning, I have to use a combination of Grenadiers and Heavy Cavalry/Light Dragoons. Their howitzers are overpowered, and by 1745 Maratha had the whole of India, Ottoman Empire, Egypt, Balkans, and south Russia.

I conquered Egypt and Mysore afterwards. I sued for peace, after a couple of turns they attacked me. Full stack in Mysore with improved fortifications, 8 regiments of Grenadiers, I barely survived.

Any ideas how to tone them down?
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 11-26-2016 at 00:33.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Maratha is overpowered

Yes.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i cannot say any stronger than i already am right now these words:
    GET DARTHMOD

ok ill admit im a bit of a darthmod fanboy.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I played a campaign as Prussia and by 1735 Maratha had not only conquered India, Persia and Afganistan, but had taken Antigua from the Pirates. By 1740 they actually sailed through the Baltic to land in Courland, destroying them on the turn after they landed. This actually worked out because it gave me an excuse to take Courland without going to war with my immediate neighbors as I built up my defense, but by 1750 any historical realism was long gone.

Its so obvious, that anyone from CA play-testing the campaign game a few times would have noticed. Makes one wonder about how thoroughly the game was tested before release.

Quote Originally Posted by IsItStillThere View Post
    Its so obvious, that anyone from CA play-testing the campaign game a few times would have noticed. Makes one wonder about how thoroughly the game was tested before release.
    Maratha aggressiveness is a patch result.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    Maratha aggressiveness is a patch result.

Yes. Prior to 1.3 or so, they would slowly conquer India and then border feud with Afghanistan and Persia. Now you must be prepared for an invastion no later than 1730 (New World or Old or Both).
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The Orange Horde

I don't know if I consider them imba on the battlefield though... They die as easily as other men. In my latest campaign they conquered as far as Tunis and Anatolia, plus a bunch of territories in the new world, before declaring war on me in about 1660.

I gave myself with Britain 10.000.000 florins trying to keep up with Maratha, to defend Mysore which I have conquered. Even with unlimited money, the amount of troops they have can easily defeat my 7 troops a turn that Im recruiting from Mysore.

I attacked Carnatica - 1900 men vs 1500 men, my men Line Infantry, Heavy Cav and 24pounders +2 mortars. They lost 300 men, I lost 1700.

What the ....

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

If you're defending a fort, just place your troops guarding the stairs down from the walls and in an arc around the flag, firing onto the flag. If the wall is breached, form up around the breach. Sacrifice freebie defenders to man the cannons on the walls, or fighting on the ground if needed. When their infantry reaches the flag they'll be exhausted and will break easily. The only minor threat is cavalry. You can tie them up with flintlocks and fire with better troops into the melee or have a single unit of square capable infantry deal with them.

It's cheesy, but it works frighteningly well. There's no reason whatever to lose even a single unit defending a fort, regardless of opposition, given that it is under AI control.

In the field, well... cannister and rank fire has never failed me. Envelop and destroy.

Well, maybe having a single city in the heartland of an enemy empire is a bad idea...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

To stop them just remember to trade with the Mughals! They also tech up quicker and you can help them as the Mughals are going to die anyway. You just want them to do it slowly.

Remember you can affect a lot of what goes on with your tech trades and diplomacy. Don’t let them get so big!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I really hate their laser guided missiles disguised in clumsy XVIII style mortars. I swear one of their mortar units managed yesterday to land 80% of their carcass shots directly in the middle of my infantry units. This kind of precision would take the Pentagon out of business.

And yes, they manage to get into Europe in every campaign, though they never get rank-fire and other superior infantry tech.

Still, beating them on the battlefield is easy.

On the other hand, autocalc can give you the weirdest results, even on H/H, no matter the faction you're against. I autocalc'd a siege battle - one full army, canons, infantry, cav and a 5 star general, against a 10 men leftover Native Musket Cavalry barricaded in a walled city.

I won, of course.

With 170 casualties.
    Last edited by Vlad Tzepes; 01-27-2010 at 16:45.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes View Post
    I won, of course.

With 170 casualties.
    They took some native mixed steroids?

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH!

Vanya tells His Maratha stooges, "You must now go to Pankot Palace and bring shiva linga back to us. Bring back to us... bring back to us." Vanya admits, that is the only inspiration they need.

GAH!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Maratha is not really overpowered. The economy of the Indian subcontinent was historically very rich and it wasn't until late 1800s (already a good century under British colonization and wealth being sucked out) that the economy of the subcontinent began lagging that of the United States. If you have the entire India under your rule and you have the military-strategic vision of the then hungry Europeans and Americans, you can basically make India a superpower.
    What the game lacks perhaps, is it is missing an extra level of court intrigue/betrayals/factionalism etc which is really what allowed for the British to establish themselves in India (not technological advancement).

Historically the Marathas were all set to take control of the entire subcontinent in the mid 1700s, read the article on Third Battle of Panipat on wiki to find out what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BharatRakshak View Post
    Maratha is not really overpowered. The economy of the Indian subcontinent was historically very rich and it wasn't until late 1800s (already a good century under British colonization and wealth being sucked out) that the economy of the subcontinent began lagging that of the United States. If you have the entire India under your rule and you have the military-strategic vision of the then hungry Europeans and Americans, you can basically make India a superpower.
    What the game lacks perhaps, is it is missing an extra level of court intrigue/betrayals/factionalism etc which is really what allowed for the British to establish themselves in India (not technological advancement).

Historically the Marathas were all set to take control of the entire subcontinent in the mid 1700s, read the article on Third Battle of Panipat on wiki to find out what I mean.
    To be honest, I agree with BharatRakshak. For me, the native indian amercian nations are really overpowered for me. Prussia is way too overpowered both in ETW and NTW.

Quote Originally Posted by BharatRakshak View Post

Man Shogun is so limited and Napoleon lacks a good world domination mode that I keep playing Empire and forgetting how stupid the balance around Maratha is. Look. No matter what happened with Panipat or the Mughals or the British, the Marathas were not going to project force outside the Indian subcontinent. The forces that drove the west to compete, explore and colonize just weren't present in India, yet left to its own self in ETW, Maratha will eventually dominate the world nearly every time. Worse, no one from Europe ever ends up doing anything in India unless its the player. Game = ruined.

I need to find a decent MOD. I swear that it just seems like Indian developers with an inferiority complex ruined this game. Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't mean anything. I bought this game to play something that would end up pretty close to historical lines and let me wear different hats to see how I could affect the results. I didn't buy the game so that some developer could rewrite history based upon some BS about alleged Indian capabilities that never existed. Blame it on leaders or generals or luck. Doesn't matter. Maratha is totally out of hand in ETW and it does make the game less enjoyable...

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Honestly the game did not start out that way. In the earlier versions of the game sometimes the Moguls won. Seldom did you see either Indian faction leaving the subcontinent. Sometimes other factions would invade overland but never by sea.

It was mostly cries from others that prompted much of the rebalance that gave us Maratha the World Conqueror. People wanted a more aggressive AI and they got it.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I absolutely hate Maratha. As mentioned they become ogres after a patch fix. I have played a couple of thousand hours of Empire and four out of five of my campaigns end up in India fighting them. It is nuts.

In all that time they have only been taken out by someone else four times I think. The Brits at least once, the Moguls twice and the Dutch once.

I hate 'em!

I dont think Maratha is over powered. Aggressive yes overpower .. Hell No ...Its just that you have them over a rich continent. They have the money so they have the power. Their troops are actually less powerful than Europeans.

I am playing my H/H campaign as Britain. Year is around 1720. I have one territory in India - Bengal. Poor Bastards keep on smashing army after army at me and lose. Hell its so bad they forgot finishing the Mughals. Am just trying raise enough funds so that I can raise a full stack to take Hindustan. Then I ll create lots of colleges there and let them have it back.

Maratha is still slightly overpowered but...

If you prop up Mughal with cash, alliances and ESPECIALLY technology, they will be kept in check and even defeated.
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 11-26-2016 at 00:33.

Proud

Been to:

Still overpowered. In a recent campaign they took half of America even.

Proud

Been to:

Played as Maratha myself. Steamrollered through the Mughals. .

Proud

Been to:

In the coming days, I have will uploaded my "Orange Crush" Mod which affects Maratha's ability to go nuts. It also keeps in in Europe so no ahistorical raids in North America or the Baltic coast either.
    Last edited by PikeStance; 11-21-2017 at 17:01.