Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: god, I need some help...

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: god, I need some help...

If I were you I wouldn't do anything. Is it worth losing a friend over? No. So let him be, at 14 he'll either get caught or run out of money to smoke. Which will probably solve the problem in due time.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

If you really care about your friend, then if you want, you may give him some of this "shock therapy"

1) Show him some really disturbing pictures of the effects of smoking, how him a disgusting photos of black lungs that was lifted because it was allready broken beyond repair...

2) Give him a lot of Soda when he comes to your car / room, and tell him that you dislike smoking...

3) Tell him, Jesus / Buddha / Moses / Muhammad / whatever is non smoker... if he's Atheist then you can say the evolution branch who exposed to more pollution die first

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    If you really care about your friend, then if you want, you may give him some of this "shock therapy"

1) Show him some really disturbing pictures of the effects of smoking, how him a disgusting photos of black lungs that was lifted because it was allready broken beyond repair...
    thats actually not a bad idea; do it casually too; we exchange a lot of shock pics in our little group; the latest one is this enormous naked chick, and you can't even tell what it is unless you look close and find her face. it is truly scary.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Blog Entries

3) Tell him, Jesus / Buddha / Moses / Muhammad / whatever is non smoker...
    So was Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    thats actually not a bad idea; do it casually too; we exchange a lot of shock pics in our little group; the latest one is this enormous naked chick, and you can't even tell what it is unless you look close and find her face. it is truly scary.
    Uh, OK

Exclamation Re: god, I need some help...

the latest one is this enormous naked chick, and you can't even tell what it is unless you look close and find her face. it is truly scary.
    I wouldn't be able to get a hard-on for weeks if I saw that.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Thumbs up Re: god, I need some help...

I would not. Everyone (well, almost everyone, at least in US) knows what smoking does to your body. He will simply be annoyed. Like a previous poster said, no-one likes moral police, and no need to annoy or harrass him, trying to persuade him. It is his decision, and I doubt you would make much of an impact - people have to grow out of these things mostly by themselves. Just let him know you do not like it, and that you are against it, but do not make a mountain out of it.

2) Give him a lot of Soda when he comes to your car / room, and tell him that you dislike smoking...
    That may be a good idea, along with gum. I hear and read that helps fight the craving, to a point.

3) Tell him, Jesus / Buddha / Moses / Muhammad / whatever is non smoker... if he's Atheist then you can say the evolution branch who exposed to more pollution die first
    Once again, it is rather annoying, not to mention absolutely irrelevant. Tobacco was not in the Old World back then. But most of those likely smoked cannabis & other psychoactive substances.

Once again, whatever you do, do not act like a mommy or an activist. I am sure he knows the risks and knows his habit is rather on the vile side - he does not need others to tell him. All that such nagging can do is break up a friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    So was Hitler
    Heh, yeah, it was Hitler who led the first most successful (not really, but for those days it was a big step), widespread modern crusade against tobacco. It was his doctors and scientists who proved cigarette smoke was harmful. He also promoted vegetarianism and animal rights. Too bad PETA was not around back then to discredit themselves through collaboration .
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 01-24-2010 at 23:14.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Try these.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

You could always try an all male cheer squad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Dz...eature=related

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

I've smoked, I've done weed, drunk alcohol and much more when I was 14. But I can't understand people getting addicted. I don't do most of it (except alcohol, but hey I'm a student) often. Addictions are for weaklings. It's not really that I care about health that much though.

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

well, I have now come to find out that one of my best friends smokes. at 14. and I have no idea what to do. if he keeps on, I won't associate with him, nor will I allow him to ride with me to get to basketball games, which in turn will cause us to lose.

my question is what do i need to do to either get him to stop, or alert the police to this so that he will stop when he gets in such a huge amount of trouble? what is the whole process, how do I handle it, etc. I am so confused; I would like to keep it anonymous so I don't become the neighborhood snitch, but I can't let him keep doing this and ruin his life. he smells bad as well.

can anyone offer any guidance?
    Friend? You dont know the meaning of that word. If your willing to disassociate and snitch on him because you happen to not like one of his hobbies then you obviosly dont deserve him as a friend. Completely break off contact with him, you sound like your about to do something drastic which will only end up hurting him.

Contributive part of the post: Tell him you dont allow smoking in your car. This is completely reasonable. Then hint when your hanging out stuff like "really wish you wouldnt do that, smells bad", maybe a couple times but never get in his face about it. Wont do anything if you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How many people from school are you still in contact with?

I graduated 14 months ago. I'm in contact with two people from the class of 274. One of those being Beefy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I've smoked, I've done weed, drunk alcohol and much more when I was 14. But I can't understand people getting addicted. I don't do most of it (except alcohol, but hey I'm a student) often. Addictions are for weaklings. It's not really that I care about health that much though.
    it looks like you have a strong mind

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    You could always try an all male cheer squad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Dz...eature=related
    Yeah, show him this, it's a proven method! Cuz I saw it on TV.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Addictions are for weaklings.
    Everybody has "their" drug. If you're very unlucky, you'll meet yours someday, and you'll wish you hadn't been such a hard-nosed idjit about addiction.

I say this because I've lived it. I have a very high pain threshold, so I figured that meant I was strong-willed. Nope, just means I have a high pain threshold. I was never addictive about alcohol, weed, anything, so I figured that meant I was strong-willed. Nope. Just meant I wasn't addictive about most drugs.

Then, after a complicated incident involving a hustler, a soldier, an assault rifle and a misunderstanding about cameras and the King of Morocco, I was introduced to cigarettes. And I discovered that I wasn't so strong-willed after all. Getting off them was sheer, unadulterated murder. I would repeat to myself over and over again the Mark Twain quote, "There is nothing so hard about quitting tobacco; I myself have done it hundreds of times."

My advice: Don't get on a high horse (pun intended) about addiction. Much like sex or skiing, until you've experienced it personally you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-25-2010 at 18:35.

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Everybody has "their" drug. If you're very unlucky, you'll meet yours someday, and you'll wish you hadn't been such a hard-nosed idjit about addiction.

I say this because I've lived it. I have a very high pain threshold, so I figured that meant I was strong-willed. Nope, just means I have a high pain threshold. I was never addictive about alcohol, weed, anything, so I figured that meant I was strong-willed. Nope. Just meant I wasn't addictive about most drugs.

Then, after a complicated incident involving a hustler, a soldier, an assault rifle and a misunderstanding about cameras and the King of Morocco, I was introduced to cigarettes. And I discovered that I wasn't so strong-willed after all. Getting off them was sheer, unadulterated murder. I would repeat to myself over and over again the Mark Twain quote, "There is nothing so hard about quitting tobacco; I myself have done it hundreds of times."

My advice: Don't get on a high horse about addiction. Much like sex or skiing, until you've experienced it personally you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Iv had friends tell me straight up "Dont try heroin, not even once, because your going to love it and you wont stop for a long long time".
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Blog Entries

Yeah, Total War works perfectly like that once you play this holy genre, you'll found most computer games lacking anything.....

Joking... I still love CNC too

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

my advice: dont say anything stupid.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Thumbs up Re: god, I need some help...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    my advice: dont say anything stupid.
    Yes, which in my opinion would constitute as anything leading to the degradation of your mutual friendship. His addiction is regrettable, but friendship should come first. And cigarette smoking is the one of the least socially harmful of just about any substance addiction I can think of (barring the bad odour - but I am given to understand the main issue with you and him are your moral objections). That is what you, PI, should care about IMHO. His personal health is his matter.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

ok my little comment earlier i dont think is enough.
    does you school have counselor or psychologist?
    i think it would be wise to let your school counselor know, so he/she can help your friend get through the addiction.
    smoking is bad. i shouldnt need to tell you why. AP, you say his health isnt PI's problem, but in a sense, it is.
    you know what a true friend is?
    a true friend does what is right, not look the other way to curry favor with the rest. ive tried smoking, didnt like it, so i stopped, but when i saw a friend of mine get hooked, i went to the school counselor, and you know what? my friend recovered and stopped smoking because of what i did. he is now doing perfectly fine. no one found out, because counselors are sworn to secrecy, naturally.

but i do say, dont be harsh on him, for gods sake. in fact, i wouldnt bring it up at all, especially so he wont get suspicious. if you start taking your own initiative (as in talking to him yourself) and go to the counselor, he will get suspicious and he will most likely spread stuff, which you dont want.
    but you cant just do nothing.
    evil happens when the good stand by and do nothing.

did that make sense? i hope so. its 1:30 in the morning here and im dead tired.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

My advice: Don't get on a high horse (pun intended) about addiction. Much like sex or skiing, until you've experienced it personally you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Well there are few addicting things I haven't tried. I'm not a complete idiot either, I'd not try crack out or something. As anyone gets hooked on it after one try. I'm talking about normal addicting stuff. Cigarettes, I've smoked more than two packages on a day when I was like 12. Never got hooked though. Eitherway I guess I'm going off-topic.

Personally I don't think you should try to convince him to stop, or not be his freinds if he doesn't. It's his choice. His parents can, but not you. You should offer a helping/supporting hand when he wants to quit though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12