Thread: Is Medieval Total War working with Windows 7?

Unhappy Is Medieval Total War working with Windows 7?

Hi guys!
    I know it is my first post, but i have one problem wich i cant fix.I realy hope you can help me.
    I didnt play Medieval Total War over one and half year, an today when i instal game and enter campaign mode, black screen apears for second and then game crash.I play this game before on same computer but i change from Windows XP to Windows 7.Is that problem?
    I will realy appreciated if someone try to help me to find solution to fix this.

...and sory on bad english, gramar mistakes

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Is Medieval Total War working with Windows 7?

Welcome to the Org, Dijenek!

I haven't heard of MTW not working specifically for Windows 7. I run it on Vista 32-bit without any problems, but since Windows 7 has been released there haven't been many posts about it and MTW.

What kind of video card do you have, and what kind of Windows 7 do you have (32/64 bit)? Have you tried running MTW in XP compatibility mode?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Thanks on welcome drone!
    Before i run on same computer and it work fine, now when change on Windows 7 suddenly it dont want to.That has to be problem.
    I have RedeonX700, 32-bit operating system, yes i tried compatibility mode couple of times but nothing different happen, still wasnt able to go on campaign.

I have run MTW on a Radeon X700 mobility with XP, so I don't think the video card is the problem. Newer nVidia cards cause a problem very similar to what you are seeing. You could try the nVidia fix mentioned here, I'm not sure if it will do any good though. The nVidia rendering of the two buttons apparently cause the CTD, maybe something in Windows 7 does something similar.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

I tried, put two files in campmap like that guys said but nothing change.Still wasnt able to play campaign.Interesting that i can play quick battles, History campaign and other stuff but main campaing is still continue crashing.Is there anything else i can do?

Maybe play around with the game screen resolution and other video options? One other fix for nVidia issues was to set the anti-aliasing to 2, maybe try that. At this point, I would suggest to the mods to move this thread to the Apothecary, you will probably get more help there. As you can tell, not much traffic in this part of the forums, and you have exceeded my knowledge on these kinds of things.

I try with screen resolution, but it didnt help.Thx man, i hope someone will figure something for this problem.

Here is what at my computer in one text file say about crash:

Medieval_TW.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Medieval_TW.exe at 001B:0040C9B7, Ordinal9()+51639 byte(s)
    EAX=00000000 EBX=00001000 ECX=00000000 EDX=0012BC88 ESI=00000001
    EDI=0012BD04 EBP=0012BE64 ESP=0012BC78 EIP=0040C9B7 FLG=00010246
    CS=001B DS=0023 SS=0023 ES=0023 FS=003B GS=0000
    001B:0040C9B7 (0x00B87210 0x00000000 0x00000001 0x76BD2EB2) Medieval_TW.exe, Ordinal9()+51639 byte(s)

And here is something in text document about error:

Errors for session started: Wed Jan 27 13:03:49 2010
    C:\Source\VikingsPatch\Crusaders_TW\main3d_1.cpp(2713) : DirectX call : E_NOTIMPL (UNSUPPORTED)
    Errors for session started: Wed Jan 27 17:41:35 2010
    C:\Source\VikingsPatch\Crusaders_TW\main3d_1.cpp(2713) : DirectX call : E_NOTIMPL (UNSUPPORTED)

Interesting. I imagine with Windows 7 you have DX10 or DX11 by default. Can you post your dxdiags results?

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Thumbs up Re: Is Medieval Total War working with Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    One other fix for nVidia issues was to set the anti-aliasing to 2, maybe try that.
    Yes, that is what I have to do for several of my old(er) games - usually I simply turn of AA. Empire Earth I as well as its expansion require that, quite notably. This could help, as well as downloading older video drivers.

P.S. - BTW, to get the dxdiag result, you just type in 'dxdiag' (without the quotations) in the 'Run' box.

Ok, i type dxdiag and during analize and it report "Eror: Problem getting extra sound info" i dont now is that relevant.What alse is important to write here from dxdiags results? I have DirectX version 11, is that problem?
    What is exactly anti-aliasing? Is that AGP Texture Acceleration? If so, i can not disable it.Computer doesnt allows me.What about old video drivers, can you please clarify me about that?
    I apologize to so many questions I was just anxious to start playing

i had the same problem on windows 7 i changed compatability to windows 200 and installed viking invasion and works fine after installing that

So how do you change it to 200?

I'm pretty sure he meant Windows 2000. To change the compatibility mode, right click on the MTW/VI desktop shortcut and select "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab, you should see a check box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", check that and select Windows 2000 from the drop down menu.