Thread: EB Replay Repository (EBRR)

Post EB Replay Repository (EBRR)

Hello my fellow EB brothers and sisters.

I have created a website where you can now download as well as submit replay files from your multiplayer and custom battles in EB 1.2 (without submods that may hamper consistency). You can visit the website by using the following link:

Europa Barbarorum Replay Repository (EBRR)
    http://www.ebrr.tk/

-- Vartan

P.S. I have to open every replay file and play to the very end on triple (X3) speed in order to find out the stats of the battle. For consistency reasons, please only send .rpy files of games that had no desync issues.

P.S.S. I know of no software that inputs .rpy files and outputs stats of the battle. If somebody programmed a working prototype and was able to successfully match results of the output with the stats in the table on EBRR please reply below because such software would make my job far easier (and I would be forever grateful).

PLEASE let me know of any better ways of naming and arranging columns and rows in the table.
    Last edited by vartan; 02-15-2010 at 21:54.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Default Re: EB Replay Repository (EBRR)

This sounds like a good idea. People could put up tutorials on how to use certain units (horse archers, chariots, etc.), and people could put up some cool battles they've had. I think it'd work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Unintended BM View Post
    This sounds like a good idea. People could put up tutorials on how to use certain units (horse archers, chariots, etc.), and people could put up some cool battles they've had. I think it'd work great.
    Yes. Battles themselves are the best and only true tutorials, because what matters at the end of the day is what really happens in battle, not in theory.
    Former Projects:

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

in the past I was thinking about something like video instructions about some typical battle tactics and exploits, but this is not far from that.

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Subject: Carthaginian army composition and tactics for MP battles.

First of all, I'll say that my army in MP battles consists of 4 tactical groups of units. These groups are:
    1) Main line infantry
    2) Back up infantry
    3) Flanking units (cavalry and infantry)
    4) Skirmish units

ad 1) Main line infantry in my army is composed of reliable soldiers, with high morale, good armour and high staying power. My favorites for this task are:
    a) Elite African pikemen- usually i use 2 units of these. One of them is a general unit and is placed in the center: E.A.P. has great staying power, excellent morale (15 IIRC), while general in the center spreads his encouragements to his soldiers.
    b) Liby.Phoenican heavy infantry: in defensive mode, they can hold almost anything for a long time.
    c) Loricati scutari: one or two units of these soldiers, with their AP ability, will give to my opponent some hard times too.

ad 2) Back up infantry is consisted mostly of these units:
    a) Iberian light infantry
    b) Maure infantry (yeah, i use them not for skirmishing tasks, but for melee because of their high lethality secondary attack)
    Task of these soldiers is to fill in the gaps when main line became unstable (which it does, especially when I play against Hellenic phalanxes or those nasty Romaioi (Pedites extraordinari, should i say more?).

ad 4) Flanking units:
    4a) Primary flanking units: their task is not so much to actually flank the main line, but to make some space for secondary flanking units (which task is to actually do a hammer task). Primary flank. units task is to engage enemy cavalry and as much as possible to engage enemy flankers. Primary flanking units in my army are:
    1) Iberian Scutarii - one or two units
    2) Two units of heavy cavalry (Liby-Phoenicans are pretty good, Sacred Band also, but it's too expensive so i rarely bring them on the battlefield. Sometimes I go with Lybian nobles)
    3) Two units of Celtic levy spearmen (backup to do some nasty things to enemy cavalry, if she engage my cavalry)

4b) Secondary flanking units: their task is to bring real terror to my enemies: if these guys manage to find they way to the back of enemy main line, and to do a hammer job- my enemy is probably dead.
    a) Iberian assault infantry (their AP weapon cuts enemy to pieces, if deployed properly) - i usually deploy them to assault the flanks on the enemy main line.
    b) Carthaginian citizen cavalry (with their high charge (34) they are just awesome at hammer tactic- brings terror and pain and kill a lot with no mercy)- one unit of these
    c) Liby-pheonican elite infantry- yeah, you know what I mean- they do a butcher-job whoever they touch)

4) Skirmish units: their task is no so much to do real damage to my enemy, but to act as a cannon fodder, especially when my enemy has a lot of missile troops (i must protect my light infantry and light cavalry from any missiles)
    Usually i use 1 unit of Numidian or Celtic archers and 1 unit of slingers.

That's mostly it. Anyway, in MP battles any plan and unit task can be changed (circumstances in most cases demands from me to re-define tasks for most of my units, so in most cases the roles of my units changes, but that depends on my enemy army composition and his tactic. In some cases i even use my cavalry for primary assault role (and not flanking maneuver).
    With Carthaginians, also, you have to be way much more creative than your opponent to actually win a fight (especially when you face phalanx line composed of 6 or even more phalanx units, or roman hard-core main line composed of principes/triari/pedites extraordinari): power of Carthaginian army lies in it's great flexibility of troops, and wide spectra of unit types, and thus demands your creativity to deploy your army and exploit the weaknesses of your enemy.

I already uploaded some replies of mine so i wont put them here again. Here's the link: http://www.filefront.com/managefiles.php

In battle reply named "Epic and heroic") you can see how i fought phalanx based army, which i started to loose, but my brother in arms (Knight of heaven) saved my ass.
    In 3 battle replies ("Dead Romans", and two replies which i fought against my countryman (Spiritus) you can see some approaches in fighting teh Romans)
    Last edited by Jebivjetar; 02-08-2010 at 10:27. Reason: it was Maure infantry, not Numidian skirmishers

lol @ bad link!

Jebi bro can I use your rpy that you posted on my FILMS thread?
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    lol @ bad link!

Jebi bro can I use your rpy that you posted on my FILMS thread?
    Of course you can use it :)

As for the link... for me it works just perfectly, so I don't know what's the problem. Could someone else try my link and respond here if it's broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Jebivjetar View Post
    Of course you can use it :)

As for the link... for me it works just perfectly, so I don't know what's the problem. Could someone else try my link and respond here if it's broken?
    LOL Jebi you silly man. That works because you are logged in. It's not a public directory, just the PHP script that loads if you are logged into filefront. =] silly boy
    Former Projects:

LOL Jebi you silly man. That works because you are logged in. It's not a public directory, just the PHP script that loads if you are logged into filefront. =] silly boy

Oh, man, you're right. Well, here are my links (some of them i already posted on another thread of yours)

1) Epic and heroic (breaking the phalanx line: good example of using primary and secondary assault units):
    http://www.filefront.com/14901421/EpicAndHeroicW.rpy/

2) Dead Romans (IIRC, in this battle i used my Sacred band cavalry to assault Roman line):
    http://www.filefront.com/15395917/DeadROmans.rpy/

3) Another battle i fought against the Rome:
    http://www.filefront.com/15395899/Of...irJebIWIN.rpy/

4) One of my favorite battles against Romans:
    http://www.filefront.com/15483403/Sp...sJebiIWIN.rpy/
    Last edited by Jebivjetar; 02-08-2010 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebivjetar View Post
    3) Another battle i fought against the Rome:
    http://www.filefront.com/15395899/Of...irJebIWIN.rpy/
    It doesn't download =(
    EDIT: DOWNLOADED!

P.S. OP updated.
    Last edited by vartan; 02-16-2010 at 17:14.
    Former Projects:

Any comments, ideas for revision?

EDIT: Added EB MP Load Replay Mod file
    Last edited by vartan; 02-18-2010 at 07:38.
    Former Projects:

Please close this thread. The Replay Repository has grown into a larger project than I had intended.
    Former Projects:

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

That's too bad. Why not jsut keep this thread open so we can post replays?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    That's too bad. Why not jsut keep this thread open so we can post replays?
    Because you'll be posting replays in the repository now. Check the link.
    Former Projects:

Very nice job, Vartan!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please close this thread. The Replay Repository has grown into a larger project than I had intended.
    Closing the thread will cause it to fall of the first page. Are you sure you want it closed?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Closing the thread will cause it to fall of the first page. Are you sure you want it closed?
    I want it gone, please. If I want to, I can always make a thread regarding the new project anyways.
    Former Projects: