Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving fitness

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Improving fitness

I've been trying to follow the 100 push ups fitness programme, and also started the 200 sit ups one. However, I'm now stuck on day 2 of week 2 in the push ups one (I'm in the middle column).

For the initial test, I managed 13 push ups.

Since then, there's been a couple of the days I had to repeat, but I seem to have hit a brick wall where I am now. I'm close, but I can only get 11 push ups on the last bit for week 2 day 2.

I don't know why I'm not keeping pace with the programme, I just don't seem to be improving any more. I alternate days between the push ups and sit up programmes, and in the sit ups one I started about a week later but I'm already on the last day of week 2 and I'm progressing fine through that.

Any ideas on what I could do to improve my push ups or where I'm going wrong?

Also, how bad is how I am doing compared to the average would you guess? I actually used to be one of the people that was good at sports at school, although I think that was more my coordination that fitnesss... but still, I seem to really suck now. I guess it's because I havent' really exercised since going to Uni and I'm now in my third year, all I do all day is sit at my PC or read or watch daytime TV. As much as I'm glad to be living the dream I would still like to be a bit healther since I've noticed I feel a lot better when I do a bit of exercise...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Default Re: Improving fitness

It takes time to build strength. Lots of time. Especially for such a difficult exercise involving most of your body weight and muscle groups like pushups. I've been training with weights since 16 and have been doing it seriously for about a year now, and I doubt I'd be able to manage more than 25 pushups (admittedly my chest is one of my weaker areas). Don't expect results right away, take it easy and keep going.

In addition, that site loses points for showing you the wrong way to do pushups, which if followed will eventually damage your wrists. Do pushups with clenched fists (preferably on pillows or something soft, since it hurts otherwise), or get pushup stands.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

That is not a good workout routine, imo, so its not surprising you are not keeping pace with the goals, especially if all you've done is sit around all day. They most likely just represent one person's experiences, who may have had some level of fitness already.

Anyway, you can expect some varience in the amount of work you can do. Achieving 13 pushups one day and 11 another is not a big deal, or reason to worry. Try to have a more long term perspective - months instead of weeks and days at least.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    It takes time to build strength.
    That amount of push-ups it has a lot to do with endurance as well. Rhy, as Wiz said, it may take more time to build up the muscle.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

You will build up strength really fast, that is what you already had, after that it slows down. I wouldn't do pushups it's bad for your back, just go to the gym and take it easy, no heavy lifting, much better. You get a lot more out of 4 x 8 50 kilo's then a single 100.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

What's the reason you wanna do a 100 push ups anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    To impress the ladies no doubt. :P No, seriously, with any type of physical fitness training you make great strides initially as you strengthen/stretch/etc what you have, but things slow down a lot from there.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

^ lol

I just came across the site, and I thought it sounded like a good idea because a) it came with a plan and b) I can do it from home.

Would it make a big difference if I did more exercise in general?

lol, yeah. The more you move through the day, and the less time you spend sitting around, the better your overall fitness will be. If you are not regularly active you will end up looking like me. :P If you add daily stretches, jumping jacks, squats, sit-ups, push-ups, and maybe some weight training if you have the facilities, and stick with it every day, you will find that your strength and fitness levels increase dramatically.
    That said though, the only way to put a lot of muscle on really fast, is not really as healthy as a general fitness strategy. You have to press yourself to your maximum every day, and go way beyond what you think you normally could do, but that risks injury, and takes a lot of determination. It is best to do for general fitness with a strength emphasis.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

I'm just really going for improving my general fitness. My problem isn't being overweight or horrendously slow/hopeless (I can move quick enough when playing tennis or whatever), it's more I'm just a bit of a skinny wee runt, so I'd like to sort that out a bit!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

This thread is full of mis information and half truths.

-Ditch the pushups, They build little muscle and are hell on your rotator cuffs and shoulduers.

-Doing them every day is even worse for you and a beginner like you it's muscle suicuide.

-Get some weights or join a gym, this push up routine is crap (see points 1+2)
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I suppose that it is better than not being able to. That has been my reasoning anyway.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    This thread is full of mis information and half truths.

-Ditch the pushups, They build little muscle and are hell on your rotator cuffs and shoulduers.

-Doing them every day is even worse for you and a beginner like you it's muscle suicuide.

-Get some weights or join a gym, this push up routine is crap (see points 1+2)
    I disagree Strike. Doing them daily will certainly not build the muscles as doing it twice or thrice a week, but it will really help with overall endurance of his muscles and get him used to working with them. It really does no good if you can lift 9 million pounds and then not move. As long as you do good cool-down exercises afterward (and staying active for the rest of the day is the best) and take it easy on the weekends it certainly would not amount to 'muscle suicide'. If you are finding that it is too draining, you can lighten them up every other day, but don't be a couch potato. You advice is certainly good for the accelerated building strategy, but as I said, that is not a very healthy one.
    As far as the third and first points, I was giving him advice for if he could not go to a gym. As I said though, if he has the facilities, go for it.
    I would also suggest daily (yeah Strike, daily) bag work. Nothing improves general fitness, builds muscle, and improves your cardiorespiratory endurance all at once like bag work.

Well you can disagree till your blue in the face but it still dont change the fact you're wrong.

I disagree Strike. Doing them daily will certainly not build the muscles as doing it twice or thrice a week, but it will really help with overall endurance of his muscles and get him used to working with them.
    No it will just fatiuge the muscles and lead to pleatueas and lack of muscle growth. Not to mention the program is fubar to begin with and shouldn't be in anyones fitness repitore so it's really a moot point.

It really does no good if you can lift 9 million pounds and then not move.
    An oft repeated stereotype that is simply not ture. Muscle mass does not impede your ability to move

As long as you do good cool-down exercises afterward (and staying active for the rest of the day is the best) and take it easy on the weekends it certainly would not amount to 'muscle suicide'.
    Take it easy on the weekends? LOL, for Rhy to get stronger and in better shape it's going to take more than just being active and "taking it easy" on the weekends.

You advice is certainly good for the accelerated building strategy, but as I said, that is not a very healthy one.
    Accelerated building strategy? What is that? What I do is very healthy and Rhy has already said he is underweight and we like to gain mass and that is my specialty. I'm not asking the kid to get in contest shape or compete in the IPF

I would also suggest daily (yeah Strike, daily) bag work. Nothing improves general fitness, builds muscle, and improves your cardiorespiratory endurance all at once like bag work.
    Heavy compound excersises blow bag work out of the water. He can do bag work all day but he will look the same on day 1 as he will on day 90.

Rhy do these three things:

Sleep at least 8 hours
    Double your caloriec intake
    Find weights and do heavy compund movements

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Well you can disagree till your blue in the face but it still dont change the fact you're wrong.

No it will just fatiuge the muscles and lead to pleatueas and lack of muscle growth. Not to mention the program is fubar to begin with and shouldn't be in anyones fitness repitore so it's really a moot point.

An oft repeated stereotype that is simply not ture. Muscle mass does not impede your ability to move

Take it easy on the weekends? LOL, for Rhy to get stronger and in better shape it's going to take more than just being active and "taking it easy" on the weekends.

Accelerated building strategy? What is that? What I do is very healthy and Rhy has already said he is underweight and we like to gain mass and that is my specialty. I'm not asking the kid to get in contest shape or compete in the IPF

Heavy compound excersises blow bag work out of the water. He can do bag work all day but he will look the same on day 1 as he will on day 90.

Rhy do these three things:

Sleep at least 8 hours
    lol, you completely misunderstood what I said. :P I did not say that muscle mass impedes your ability to move, I was referring to the guys I know who work out three days a week, and every time can barely move the next day because they are so sore and exhausted.
    And you are right, working out every day is not a good idea if you are going for just mass muscle tissue growth, but as I said, I was not suggesting the intense workout that you are, but rather a more holistic approach with a more constant, lower intensity set of exercises. (Nor did I suggest that he follow the website's plan)
    And it is important to slow down a bit two days a week (conveniently Saturday and Sunday) if you are working out and stressing yourself on the week days, and just stretch and limit work to light excises and fun. Sure, it may not lead to Schwarzenegger muscle growth, but it will increase his muscle mass substantially over a greater amount of time, as well as keeping him active and healthy with a high metabolic rate.
    I think it is more important to prepare for a healthy life than to look like a body builder. Bag work improves speed and muscular coordination (which will help with reflexes), uses the entire body, raises the heart rate and causes you to breathe heavily, strengthens your joints and the impact that they can take, helps you improve important skills, relieves stress and worries, AND builds muscle.
    You are right though, your way does put the muscle on a lot faster, but Rhyfelwyr said that he was going for improved general fitness more than just strength building. That is why I disagreed with you. I think you reactionary approach of telling me that I am 'wrong' is not very productive or accurate, as neither of us were wrong, simply giving different strategies that emphasized different things.

Is this guy actually arguing with Strike over fitness? That's foolhardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Is this guy actually arguing with Strike over fitness? That's foolhardy.
    Strike knows his fitness, but he has a very one track mind. :P I am sorry, but Western science and philosophy concerning fitness does not seem to make sense to me. As I said, I prefer a more holistic (prehaps even Eastern influenced) approach.

First of all, thanks to all those for taking the time to give me advice!

Also, sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant that I do push ups every second day, and alternate doing sit ups in the days in between.

Sleep at least 8 hours
    These things may be quite difficult to do. These days I only get usually 4-5 hours sleep a night, except on Friday and Monday nights, when I get 8-9. I reckon I could managed to get to 6-7 each night, but 8 would be difficult.

As for calorie intake, well actually I have improved a lot in that respect. I'm kind of crazy when it comes to food and I got to the point recently where all I eat pretty much is bread and bran cereal (I coudl have been on that freaky eaters show lol), but a couple of weeks ago my brain decided that was no longer an issue and I've already ate far more in the last couple of weeks and I've noticed I feel better for it.

As for weights, I think my bro's got some, I reckon I could give them ago.

Join a gym or build your own home gym if your serious. If you have the space and your committed to actually achieving your goals I would recommend it. A good home gym including power rack, weights, barbells, dumbells and a bench can all be purchased for under £1000.

If there's a good gym near you though I would recommend you join it. The thing about fitness is your either committed to it or your not. Sure, everyone gets days where they don't feel as enthusiastic about working out but the overall desire to achieve your goals has to be there. If that overall desire isn't there then there's no point even trying. If it is there though good luck to you. I started lifting weights about a year ago and now I don't really think about it, doing it five days a week is now just a normal part of my daily routine.
    Last edited by tibilicus; 02-08-2010 at 02:23.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

lol, you completely misunderstood what I said. :P I did not say that muscle mass impedes your ability to move, I was referring to the guys I know who work out three days a week, and every time can barely move the next day because they are so sore and exhausted.
    that ends after a while unless your maxing all the time. i barely feel bad at all the next day after i lift and i lift religiously.

Calories are key like strike said you need them. but you have to workout with them.

If you want to be generally "fit" then you should run. I run every day and its my favorite thing. I usually go three miles a day and during sports seasons (basketball now) ill add something different to help my specific performance in that sport.

I would recommend the naval academies program for "getting in shape" and then do what you want.

Week one- Run 2 mile a day at a 8 minute pace every day
    Week two- Run 2 miles a day at an 8 minute pace
    Week three- swim or bike for 45 minutes a day
    Week 4- rune 2 miles a day at an 7.5 minute pace
    Week 5- run 2 miles a day at an 7.5 mile pace
    Bike or swim for 45 minutes a day
    Week six- run 2 miles a day at a 7 minute pace
    Week 7- run 2 miles a day at a 7 minute pace.

and so on and so forth. Running is probably what your looking at just be disciplined and make sure you follow your routine. you want some muscle as well then lift weights but it isnt really necessary to be "fit". (sorry strike)

as well i assume your uni has a gym for students. every one ive been too in america does, maybe britian is different,
    Last edited by Centurion1; 02-08-2010 at 02:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    that ends after a while unless your maxing all the time. i barely feel bad at all the next day after i lift and i lift religiously.

Calories are key like strike said you need them. but you have to workout with them.

If you want to be generally "fit" then you should run. I run every day and its my favorite thing. I usually go three miles a day and during sports seasons (basketball now) ill add something different to help my specific performance in that sport.

I would recommend the naval academies program for "getting in shape" and then do what you want.

Week one- Run 2 mile a day at a 8 minute pace every day
    Week two- Run 2 miles a day at an 8 minute pace
    Week three- swim or bike for 45 minutes a day
    Week 4- rune 2 miles a day at an 7.5 minute pace
    Week 5- run 2 miles a day at an 7.5 mile pace
    Bike or swim for 45 minutes a day
    Week six- run 2 miles a day at a 7 minute pace
    Week 7- run 2 miles a day at a 7 minute pace.

and so on and so forth. Running is probably what your looking at just be disciplined and make sure you follow your routine. you want some muscle as well then lift weights but it isnt really necessary to be "fit". (sorry strike)

as well i assume your uni has a gym for students. every one ive been too in america does, maybe britian is different,
    I was referring to maxing every day. Most of the sports teams at my Uni for instance have solid requs for advancement every week which are way too high for some people and make them push themselves way beyond their limits. To be honest, I am against the idea of building muscle just to build muscle. If you are going to build muscle, you should have a reason (ei. the requs of the job you do, martial arts, a particular sport, etc). When you have a reason, you should then look at you larger requs for what ever your reason is, and see how strength fits in, tailoring your exercises to fit your needs and desired outcomes. (ei, you need to be able to take harder hits to your abdominal region better and to be able to give more powerful, faster punches. You workout should then focus on those goals, and not on increasing lifting strength or muscle mass for no reason.)

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Well Rhy, if you want to build some muscles those push ups won't really help you. Push ups aren't that good anyway really. You say you're skinny but if you're over 70-75kg you're really straining your back and shoulders. Bench press is much better for pectoral muscles.

As Strike said, better way is to actually join the gym, preferably with someone who knows about working out. Also, your diet is arguably more important than working out.

So, my advice would be following:

1) Enroll at the gym and go 4 times a week. Best schedule would probably be Monday-Tuesday than you take a day break, than Thursday-Friady than you take another break for the weekend.

2) A lot of protein in your diet. That means meat. Not just any meat. For example pork is out, too much fat in it. Chicken breasts and turkey breasts are the way to go. Beef isn't a bad choice either but poultry is your best bet.

3) Increase your carbs if you're gonna work out. You're gonna need the energy. Take more carbs in the morning.

4) Meat+carbs immediately after working out. No bread though, rice or potatoes. Stay away from carbs otherwise, so only in the morning and immediately after working out.

The difference in you muscle mass should be noticeable after a few months. Just remember, if you work out without a proper diet, your muscles can actually get smaller.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 02-08-2010 at 13:47.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    These days I only get usually 4-5 hours sleep a night, except on Friday and Monday nights, when I get 8-9.
    No wonder you don't feel very fit. That's just unhealthy.

Stop depriving yourself from sleep. Get at least 7 hours a day. Then start worrying about the rest.

Also, I suggest you get some barbells and try to exercise as many muscle groups as possible. Don't think you're going to become Jean-Claude Vandamme in three months. Start very carefully and listen to your body. If the weights are too heavy, you'll do the exercise wrong and will just injure yourself.

Don't limit yourself to weightlifting. Running, cycling or swimming are good for cardio training; pick the one you like most (or do all of them, for variety).

If you're already skinny, eat more.
    Last edited by Andres; 02-08-2010 at 16:24.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    Then they are doing something wrong, that kind of soreness should be limited to beginners and should go away rather quickly.

And you are right, working out every day is not a good idea if you are going for just mass muscle tissue growth, but as I said, I was not suggesting the intense workout that you are, but rather a more holistic approach with a more constant, lower intensity set of exercises. (Nor did I suggest that he follow the website's plan)
    I lift 6 days a week and my workouts never take more than an hour, I get my cardio by running or playing basketball or swiming. I haven't felt sore in years because I eat enough and get enough sleep.

And it is important to slow down a bit two days a week (conveniently Saturday and Sunday) if you are working out and stressing yourself on the week days, and just stretch and limit work to light excises and fun. Sure, it may not lead to Schwarzenegger muscle growth, but it will increase his muscle mass substantially over a greater amount of time, as well as keeping him active and healthy with a high metabolic rate.
    It's not that simple, I wish I had a dime for everytime someone thought by lifiting weights they would blow up to be some monster. Light excersises and fun will not result in any sort of tangible change for Rhy. Moving weight will and he will feel much better for it, he doesn't have to worry about looking like Dorian Yates because that takes freaky gentics, freaky dedication and a whole bunch of gear.

I think it is more important to prepare for a healthy life than to look like a body builder. Bag work improves speed and muscular coordination (which will help with reflexes), uses the entire body, raises the heart rate and causes you to breathe heavily, strengthens your joints and the impact that they can take, helps you improve important skills, relieves stress and worries, AND builds muscle.
    Yea after two months in the gym I look like a pro BB'er. LOL man I think you have a really skewed view of this whole thing. It takes years sometimes decades to even look like those guys and even then Rhy wont have the access to the drugs lol.

But he will get healthier by lifiting weights. The heavy bag doesn't build jack, Idk why you keep bringing it up but you are wrong. Sure it's a nice little cardio work out but it will never build muscle.

You are right though, your way does put the muscle on a lot faster, but Rhyfelwyr said that he was going for improved general fitness more than just strength building. That is why I disagreed with you. I think you reactionary approach of telling me that I am 'wrong' is not very productive or accurate, as neither of us were wrong, simply giving different strategies that emphasized different things.
    My way improves health, mind, and body. Your way is just a whole bunch of non sensical cardio which Rhy will get used to after a couple of weeks and provide no tangiable gains. If it were as easy as you make it out to be everyone would be fit in the way you wanted to be. So in that sense you are wrong.

Rhy

These things may be quite difficult to do. These days I only get usually 4-5 hours sleep a night, except on Friday and Monday nights, when I get 8-9. I reckon I could managed to get to 6-7 each night, but 8 would be difficult.
    Get as much as you can, try to change your schedule.

As for calorie intake, well actually I have improved a lot in that respect. I'm kind of crazy when it comes to food and I got to the point recently where all I eat pretty much is bread and bran cereal (I coudl have been on that freaky eaters show lol), but a couple of weeks ago my brain decided that was no longer an issue and I've already ate far more in the last couple of weeks and I've noticed I feel better for it.
    -Tuna
    -Chicken Breast
    -Banana
    -Orange
    -PB

As for weights, I think my bro's got some, I reckon I could give them ago.
    I reckon you should, as a beginner it is probably a good idea to work out 3 days a week. I have some cookie cutter programs if you'd like them. Remember training is only 10% of this whole thing, If you don't eat and sleep enough you will fail it is a simple as that.

And don't abandon cardio but be smart about it, because cardio burns percious calories sprints and the jump rope provide a good amount without burning to many. This kind of depends on your metabolism though...

One more thing many of you consider "fit" simply to be the ability to run medium distances in a pre set time. That's all great but whats the end game there? When did that become fit? That naval program is pretty much peanuts and it should be something everyone should be able to do...

The number of pushups, and especially sit-ups, is completely irrelevant. 15 pushups and 20 situps is the number I use. If you're not exhausted, do them slower until you are. Quickly to the top, slowly back....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Personally I'd just wait for the Crysis Nanosuit to become reality...

Actually I work out, too, but not nearly often enough lately, and right now I got a cold...
    I think Strike has some good points, he knows how to build up muscle.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I wouldn't do pushups it's bad for your back, just go to the gym and take it easy, no heavy lifting, much better.
    That is a mistake. Properly done pushups are one of the best excercises out there for your back. Pushups do wonders for your core.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaropolk View Post
    That is a mistake. Properly done pushups are one of the best excercises out there for your back. Pushups do wonders for your core.
    Lie

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Lie
    Double Lie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I think sleep really does make a big difference... last night i only got 3 hours (a curse upon getting up at half six!), and I only managed to get 8 push ups done today in the last round (got 11 before). Regarding these, should I definetely abandon them? I am just checking because people seemed to be under the impression I was doing them every day, but it's every second day. Also, I'm under the 70-75kg weight that was given for the point when push shups actually start to damage your shoulders...

I'll make sure I integrate all those things into my diet, in fact I had chicken breast for dinner tonight (very tasty! ). Also, would you recommend having some snacks on things like crisps or donuts etc? I know they are not healthy but in moderation they might be OK and they seem like a good idea for puting on weight.

As for the exercise, I plan on rejoining badminton and tennis clubs I used to go to (both once weekly). And I will also see if I can have a go at these weights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast