Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A letter to Creative Assembly

Default Re: A letter to Creative Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Guy View Post
    They're not going to give you modding tools, because they have figured out they can make sub-par "mods" and sell them for 5$ every other month to thousands of customers who reason that 5$ is so little money it doesn't matter.

If gamers started pumping out mods for free, this business model would be completely defunct. You want your modding tools? Stop buying their reskinned models instead of joining yet another facebook group. Five bucks per dissatisfied customer hurts way more than a list of names.
    I'm not sure if that's what they're thinking, and if it is, well, they aren't very smart. Look, probably 95% of people that have played Total War games have never installed a user created mod. The 5% that do are the die hard fans of the franchise (like us!). Now, those 95% of casual players may be enticed to buy content from CA because of advertising from Steam and such, but since there's no real advertising for user created mods, there's really no competition for that 95% of the market. Now the 5% of die hard fans who've bought the last 4 or 5 games are a small enough percentage of users that losing their business shouldn't matter. In fact, if CA released good modding tools, they'd actually come out ahead because the long time fans give advertising dollars and future sales.

A good example of these principles is Bethesda Softworks, the guys behind games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. They've made plenty of money off of Downloadable Content for Oblivion and Fallout 3 despite releasing very extensive modding tools.

Blog Entries

Most people here who still play strategy games have long ago moved on to Paradox Games. I know I have :D

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ratwar View Post
    I'm not sure if that's what they're thinking, and if it is, well, they aren't very smart. Look, probably 95% of people that have played Total War games have never installed a user created mod. The 5% that do are the die hard fans of the franchise (like us!). Now, those 95% of casual players may be enticed to buy content from CA because of advertising from Steam and such, but since there's no real advertising for user created mods, there's really no competition for that 95% of the market. Now the 5% of die hard fans who've bought the last 4 or 5 games are a small enough percentage of users that losing their business shouldn't matter. In fact, if CA released good modding tools, they'd actually come out ahead because the long time fans give advertising dollars and future sales.

A good example of these principles is Bethesda Softworks, the guys behind games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. They've made plenty of money off of Downloadable Content for Oblivion and Fallout 3 despite releasing very extensive modding tools.
    That is all very true but a large portion of that reaming 5% would still buy the DLC too.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default A letter to Creative Assembly

In fact, if CA released good modding tools, they'd actually come out ahead because the long time fans give advertising dollars and future sales.
    Which is something Bioware discovered a long time ago with NWN. The mods created by fans did nothing but extend the interest in NWN and create a fanbase that has kept on purchasing Bioware products in that genre up to, and including their latest release.

Hell, I still play the Baldur's Gate trilogy 12 years after the release of BG1 mainly because of all the mods and add-ons create replayablity and keep it fun........Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-06-2010 at 22:20.
    High Plains Drifter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Hell, I still play the Baldur's Gate trilogy 12 years after the release of BG1 mainly because of all the mods and add-ons create replayablity and keep it fun........Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!
    Boo is pleased. And when Boo is pleased, I am pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Boo is pleased. And when Boo is pleased, I am pleased.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    What?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsc

And here I thought there couldn't possibly be anyone who hasn't heard of, or played Baldur's Gate
    High Plains Drifter

I am glad to see this is sparking some ongoing interest. We are at 44 pages at TWC and people just signing up there just to sign the petition. Very nice to see Kagemusha appear as well. This is the thing: there are so many great players and modders out there that have already moved on, CA can only play this dangerous game with their fans for so long. I for one would hate to see that happen.

Constant pressure is being applied over at CA, and will remain until they clarify their situation. Thanks to everyone for your concern! The word is spreading. It may be a trickle for now, but could end up a flood.

Best regards,

MCM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    And here I thought there couldn't possibly be anyone who hasn't heard of, or played Baldur's Gate
    You have no idea. I know loads of people who do.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Cornelius Marcellus View Post
    I am glad to see this is sparking some ongoing interest. We are at 44 pages at TWC and people just signing up there just to sign the petition. Very nice to see Kagemusha appear as well. This is the thing: there are so many great players and modders out there that have already moved on, CA can only play this dangerous game with their fans for so long. I for one would hate to see that happen.

Constant pressure is being applied over at CA, and will remain until they clarify their situation. Thanks to everyone for your concern! The word is spreading. It may be a trickle for now, but could end up a flood.

Best regards,

MCM

I can see where the development of mod tools could be a drain of resources and money for a company.

But since they are doing DLC anyway they could be released in the same fashion and produce revenue.

That is DLC people would pay a deal to get, even if released one type of editor at a time.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I can see where the development of mod tools could be a drain of resources and money for a company.
    But if the response to Bioware's devoting time and money to such, it's a wise investment, IMHO. IIRC, a few of the really good modders for NWN eventually got onto Bioware's payroll either as consultants, beta testers, or designers. There were also a few of the design techniques used that made their way into the company's future releases.

I buy Bioware products sight unseen without even reading reviews because I know they produce good games, have excellent customer support and even if I'm less than overjoyed with the original release, I'll find plenty of mods later that satisfy me.

That is DLC people would pay a deal to get, even if released one type of editor at a time.
    I'd hate to see that and I think it's totally unnecessary to generate funds, in the long run.
    High Plains Drifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12