Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A letter to Creative Assembly

Default A letter to Creative Assembly

Dear all,

After checking with the esteemed TosaInu, I am letting you all know that there is a letter to Creative Assembly on behalf of the Total War modding community. Without flaming in any way,and as die hard fans of the Total War series, we are concerned at the lack of modding tools that are currently available for recent TW series games, especially ETW and the new NTW.

This is after repeated promises from CA both on the Sega website and in communications and press releases given by the company.

Many of us feel that perhaps the glory days of modding are now over, as many of the older ranks are retiring, and there are precious few new modders out there with any hopes of doing a full conversion mod.

Frustration with lack of tools, lack of customer support for bug ridden releases make us seriously concerned at the future of both the games and our community.

Having personally been a fan of TW games since Shogun, and as an ex-modder ( team leader of Rome Total Realism, Hexagon Council modding representative and community leader at Total War Center, I feel that we must speak up and voice our concerns and continuing love and hopes for TW games.

If you would like to join us in our letter, please follow this link and you add your name to the letter here.

With Very best regards,

Marcus Cornelius Marcellus
    Last edited by Marcus Cornelius Marcellus; 02-11-2010 at 14:17.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A letter to Creative Assembly

I'd do it if I thought it would accomplish anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't do Letters, or join letters in TWC..........

~Caivs
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

A script bot could do a few thousand spam posts on their forums.

But then again you could yell at Jack Lusted.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Some marketing guy will count the number of signatories, substract it from the number of total sales of the last game, add a certain number for future new customers(and those who signed the letter but will give CA another "last chance" anyway) from the growing gamer market, factor in the DLC revenues, and decide it's not worth paying attention to.
    That is if the marketing guy is bored enough to do it in the first place.
    Oh and if they can find a developer who is really bored because he is not working on an improved AI, they will try to convince him to make a blog entry explaining how much CA value the customer feedback but that they cannot do the modding tools because they have to write long blog entries and calculate sales losses vs new customers.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Many of the problems mentioned are chronic and have been accumulating for quite some time. CA has been adamant in closing its ears when it had judged that it had no benefit from listening as in the MP community letter that went on sometime after RTW was released and was flat out rejected despite being signed by long term fans that were on since Shogun (and many say that in this day and age but not all are what they profess) and involved in many ways in the game, its scene and even its development.

However, given that mods contribute commerically to sales in the long run, there might be a chance that your voice may be heard. Of course CA seem very keen on keeping TW as mainstream as possible and as long as that line persists all fantypes are at the mercy of what "the suits" decide, so do not trust to hope.

In any case promising and then playing deaf will not the first nor the last time, most likely, for CA.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Totalwar players, modders and fans. I urge you to join this petition. Imagine the possibilities of full ETW and NTW tools at our disposal! All it takes is a signature.

Also join the facebook group if you can,

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...5958315&ref=nf

Blog Entries

27 members is why i dont think this will do anything.

The l4d2 boycott group had huge numbers and actual leverage.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

It certainly can’t hurt.

It runs to 23 pages at TWC at this point.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Blog Entries

28,649 Members

Get north of 5 thousand and it might mean something.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I don’t understand the mind set.

It is as if no one would vote until they knew who the winner was going to be.

Of course numbers mean something but being unwilling to commit or contribute until it is a landslide is a bit puzzling to me.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Everyone has seen these things before and seen them fail because it is naive to believe that a commercial enterprise that doesn't have a history of 'we really care about our image in the community' and does not actively try to cultivate the community outside of pre-release hype will change their ways for a few people.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Dear all,
    Thank you for your response so far, both positive and negative.

Yes, I am aware of previous petitions in the past that have failed. I did a bit of research on Google, and its amazing what pops up.
    I am also aware that historically up till now CA has been less than responsive, and that the general feeling of many members of the modding community that perhaps the best has already gone. I can also appreciate the apathy that some people feel.

That being said, I urge all of you to show your interest, and if possible even, add your name to the thread. Its a case where very much, every voice counts.

We have had 10,000 views on the topic over at the TWCenter in a week. We also now have a Modders Group on Facebook. The reason being is that as long as our voice only resonates here on the fan forums, its controllable and perhaps ignored.

Many of the general public have no idea the strength of the modding community, nor the passion with which these teams pursue their dreams, dealing with members at times spread across the globe. The goal is to show that indeed we are a unified voice. WE are a legitimate community that sparks incredible levels of creativity and development. In many ways I am sure that it stimulates CA to at least try a little harder.

I personally, as a past team member and then as a team leader, have seen some incredible talents develop under these teams and in these communities. Members learn valuable skills which that can take with them back into the real world. They learn a sense of discipline and an ability to push themselves even in the face of , at times, seemingly insurmountable obstacles. They learn to communicate and interact with people from other cultures, to listen and to find the commonalities which drive these teams together.

To see that community die out due to lack of tools, support and encouragement to me seems a terrible travesty.

It only takes a few seconds to log in and read what people have been saying. Many of the top shelf modders have posted and voice their own opinions and concerns, so if you do not want to be a part of the cause, at least inform yourself as to the nature of our concern and requests.

All communities, even like this one here at the Org, require user input. To stand on the sidelines while this important battle goes on would be the biggest tragedy of all.

With sincerest regards,

MCM

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Cornelius Marcellus View Post
    That being said, I urge all of you to show your interest, and if possible even, add your name to the thread.
    Oh? How much money you gonna give me?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

signed.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Fisherking is actually right, anyone who owns the game and is expecting to play it again, better sign in for the modding tools. The modding community adds tremendous value and replayability in TW games, that are usually released and left unbalanced and poorly optimised in terms of gameplay. Can anyone imagine RTW or M2TW without the mods?

If the modding community fades out, then CA/SEGA's dry, commercial efforts will be all one gets. Not a very nice prospect.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Fisherking is actually right, anyone who owns the game and is expecting to play it again, better sign in for the modding tools. The modding community adds tremendous value and replayability in TW games, that are usually released and left unbalanced and poorly optimised in terms of gameplay. Can anyone imagine RTW or M2TW without the mods?

If the modding community fades out, then CA/SEGA's dry, commercial efforts will be all one gets. Not a very nice prospect.
    Isn't that what the publishers don't want? Some Activision rep apparently said they don't want people playing old games, but rather see gamers move on to newer games that are released later.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

We'll I wouldn't mind moving from TW to SC2 if that's what the publishers want. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    We'll I wouldn't mind moving from TW to SC2 if that's what the publishers want. :-D
    A game which, coincidentally, will have amazing mod tools.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

They're not going to give you modding tools, because they have figured out they can make sub-par "mods" and sell them for 5$ every other month to thousands of customers who reason that 5$ is so little money it doesn't matter.

If gamers started pumping out mods for free, this business model would be completely defunct. You want your modding tools? Stop buying their reskinned models instead of joining yet another facebook group. Five bucks per dissatisfied customer hurts way more than a list of names.

Originally posted by Dead Guy
    They're not going to give you modding tools, because they have figured out they can make sub-par "mods" and sell them for 5$ every other month to thousands of customers who reason that 5$ is so little money it doesn't matter.

If gamers started pumping out mods for free, this business model would be completely defunct. You want your modding tools? Stop buying their reskinned models instead of joining yet another facebook group. Five bucks per dissatisfied customer hurts way more than a list of names.
    This sounds (sadly) true. Its difficult to say what was more obscene with ETW: the state the game was released (and left) in? the exploitation of teh fan base with add-ons? or the insistance of the same to buy them?

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

That's probably SEGA territory as its business strategy.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar
    Last edited by Furunculus; 02-25-2010 at 15:14.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Hello,

I'm sorry but your petition is actually "worthless":

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...=1#post1187838

Quote Originally Posted by The Shogun
    No the petition did not work. As we have clearly stated before we treat online petitions as worthless as they are not email verified and are totally open to abuse.

What we do take seriously though is polite feedback from our community. Despite what a tiny minority will try have you believe (generally to feed their inner troll) we are keen to support the community as much as possible.
    This has always been the Creative Assembly stance on "online petitions" and has yet to change.

Yohei

I think they may be paying a little bit more attention to this one..;)
    Its managed to get press coverage and is also spreading through social media. The response is quite substantial. I suggest you go have a look.

An official communication was sent to CA this week, and acknowledged received. So I believe that they are listening. Whether they choose to act, we shall see.

Cheers,

MCM
    Last edited by Marcus Cornelius Marcellus; 02-26-2010 at 15:08.

Why can't they jsut release the file specs. Its not hard to make mod tools if you have specs.

Signed, though I'm personally more interested in AI fixing than mod tools.

I have already signed this at TWC, while it is only wishful thinking that it could achieve anything. Personally M2TW has been so far the last TW game ive purchased. The reason being that the game simply is unmoddable for full conversion modifications, unless the said TW game sets on the same area and point of time as the modification does.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Hey Kage, what have you been doing? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Hey Kage, what have you been doing? :-D
    Hi Munky! :) . Ive been having a vacation from TW world so does speak. ;)
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast