Thread: Conscripts & Militia

Question Conscripts & Militia

Aside from the skin (and the conscript skin is ugly as heck), what's the difference between the two units? Which one's better? Why?

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Default Re: Conscripts & Militia

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Aside from the skin (and the conscript skin is ugly as heck), what's the difference between the two units? Which one's better? Why?
    Been a while since I played ETW, but as far as I remember there's no difference between those units except for the skins.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 02-15-2010 at 21:49. Reason: I'm an idiot

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

Yay, 1 reply.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

So far as I remember Conscripts carry only three rounds of ammunition but militia carry fifteen and cost less money and less upkeep-

Conscripts have better morale and melee by two points (4 & 4 vs. 6 & 6) but with the higher costs and lower ammunition I tend not to use them.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Where does it tell you how much ammo they carry? I had no idea there was a limit..
    I'm also not sure where it tell you morale..
    I know as the Dutch, Conscripts have a slightly higher accuracy, but cost almost 100 more, so I tend to make one for every three militia, only making Line Infantry if I have money to burn and am not in need of more ships.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Ammo limits are listed on the unit card. Most of the time, militia is your better choice as they can keep firing for a longer stretch and they're significantly cheaper as garrison. They will actually fight pretty well against a line unit (even trade or very slow loss) if they are dug in or you can get them behind a wall.

Conscripts are good shots, but only for a few rounds. On the other hand, their melee and morale are much better. I usually don't purchase them, even so, but often keep one or two for garrisons in places that may get hit more frequently than others. Conscripts make a good choice for bayonet-work defending the flag of your fort while the militia shoots from the buildings or from reventments.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Really, I find them more of a step between Militia and Line Infantry. For my armies, they form a very poor man's line infantry, which can be useful for the United Provinces early on, where I'm usually quite cash strapped (three theaters, all requiring a strong Naval and Army force). Militia won't stand up to Line Infantry, conscripts will at least make them bleed a bit.