Thread: "First" Impressions

Default "First" Impressions

So I finally got ETW when it went on sale on Steam. Admittedly it was an impulse buy, but then I've played every TW game so I knew I was going to get it eventually. Just finished my first campaign playthrough, as GB, and I figured I'd give my thoughts on the game, good, bad, and ugly. I'm sure many of these things have been pointed out already but bear with me.

The good: The graphics are nice even at mediocre levels (I can only manage medium with some of the perks enabled even though ETW thinks I can handle Ultra), lots of little bells and whistles which were evident in battles and on the campaign map. The diplomacy, at least until the late game, is actually viable, and even in the late game isn't totally un-viable provided you don't mind shelling out obscene amounts of money. I also enjoyed the size of the map and the different theaters with which to go in. Using the Indiamen seemed like a fairly decent way of representing setting up a trade post in a remote region of the world that in that time frame did not have heavy colonization effort. I also liked the fact that none of the nations have grossly overpowered units they can spam. This created a very interesting dynamic where it took a long while before any one nation got a clear advantage over any other and also led to shifting alliances, which I vastly enjoyed. By the end the only eliminated major nations outside of Spain, France, and Maratha, who I offed myself, where Poland (who came back via rebellion only to die again) and Austria (technically not killed but a protectorate of Hannover so I consider that a fitting end of major power status). I also like that the movement speeds of units and ships seems to be better and not feel quite so lethargic. The research tree was a nice addition even though I was leery at first of such an addition, since that could have been very poorly handled, but I felt the pacing was appropriate. I also like how auto-calc doesn't horribly massacre you all the time as well and seems to assume that your commanders are halfway competent, though you still get some strange results at times. I really liked all the potential emerging and re-emerging nations.

The bad: The battle AI, while improved, still leaves a lot to be desired. That's been a continual trend in TW games though, and so if I've made it this far, its not going to dissuade me. The fact that I couldn't get a protectorate to save my life (well, theirs) was also mildly irritating and about the only truly broken bit I noticed in diplomacy, outside of some seemingly random war dec's (which a line of forts prevented thereafter). I also feel the diplo penalty for territorial expansion is rather larger than it should be, or at least it should take that nation's diplo status with others into account (i.e. if I take a mutual enemy's land, they won't really care and might even improve, a neutral will generate some negativity, taking their own land obviously should hurt). Also, I didn't like how I would take the hit even if I didn't keep the land if I was reconquering for friends. Also, what's the deal with Baluchistan counting as part of Europe and Afghanistan as part of India (also Baluchistan's lack of a port town...). Did not like the Thirteen Colonies' inability to defend themselves from anything more dangerous than a plant, and even then I'd not have been surprised if they lost to that. I got involved in almost all my wars in the first 40 years due to them. In that vein, what is the major Euro powers' absolute disgust of any minor nation existing in America? I eliminate Spain after our second brush-up and see Mexico and Gran Columbia emerge. I get trade and alliance with both since I figure that will be a good barrier to a future war but less than 10 turns later the UP, my long-time ally, attacks Mexico. I decided to go tell the UP to perform physically impossible acts and entered the war on Mexico's side (I'd kept those b-tards alive and this is how they repay me?). Since this was nearing the end game that war ended swiftly, though I had to pay 400k to get them to give up their colonial assets. This focus on America also seems to be why the Thirteen Colonies were attacked so many times. I mean, I can understand the Iroquis and Cherokee (just not the total ineptitude in defending against them) but Prussia? Sweden? Maratha?!?! Prussia and Sweden were manageable and strictly naval but Maratha landed two full stacks of good troops. Took me a good 5 years to fully destroy them as I had to build up something comparable in America. Also in that vein I didn't like European powers apparent total disregard for the Indian theater. Not once did they send anything, which let Maratha unify India and actually tech ahead of me by the time fighting broke out (and I had something like 6 or 7 unis).

The ugly: Whatever issue exists between NVIDIA and CA/Sega that prevents them from doing basic collaboration so driver updates work with the game. I find it rather annoying and sad that I have to play my game in windowed mode (why? who knows, but its a workaround for NVIDIA users) and many of the graphical glitches that lead to reloads are probably attributable to it too. This would be bearable if the text wasn't blurry, or at least larger, which is apparently a game issue, not graphics. The apparently corrupt sound files for the in-game videos also is sad, as I had to go to YouTube to see clean, non-choppy versions of them.

That all being said, I still found this to be a good game. It would have rated very good if the Ugly bits weren't there, since most of the stuff that was irritating to me is primarily nitpicky. I'd say for the money I spent I'm getting a good return, as when I get a stable load it can last for hours and the game runs smoothly and aside from that, I find the foundation to be a solid improvement in the TW series, even if I still rank RTW as the best TW game to date. One last thing: I hope they make ETW more mod-accessible, as it seems there is no suite of mod tools and the mod boards seem rather dead, esp compared to older TW games. I will be the first to admit that I played RTW for YEARS mainly b/c of the excellent mods that were released, and M2TW will definitely be getting a reload as soon as EBII comes out (though Broken Crescent was a good mod for M2TW as well). I certainly hope they don't give up on the modders as they push TW game from being merely very good to being truly great. It always seemed like a good model to me: CA makes a solid game foundation that people will enjoy, we buy it to support them, they make it very moddable and the modders lavish attention on the product that a company with multiple demands can't do, and miracles result, extending the shelf life (and thus profitability) of the core game, and making loyal customers out of us. Now I just have to decide what campaign to play next (maybe I AM a masochist)....
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: "First" Impressions

Thanks for the post.

Seeing new impressions of first time players without all the predigest that most of us have developed during all of the patching is refreshing.

It has been a rollercoaster for me, through all of the changes.

It is a decent game.

Even though I think it has fallen far below its original potential.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Thank you. With the exception of the original Shogun (which I still have mind you) I've always been a late comer to the games. That's part the cheapskate in me (why pay $50 when you can pay $10) and part because I tend to do that with most games, as a good year or two of patches tends to vastly improve gameplay and stability (not to mention makes it easier for me to afford a comp that can run my games well). While i agree the game has so much to offer that it doesn't, I am perhaps most perplexed by their apparent snubbing of the modders. If I was a full-on modder, I'd probably be pissed, but as it is I just enjoy their fruits and tweak on occasion. Incidentally, I managed to avoid the Succession War in my current France campaign. King Louis XIV lived to 1725, to be replaced by King Louis XV, rather than Sophie I, which triggers the War I think (I'd had that happen but I horribly fouled the diplomacy handling so i reloaded, fully expecting the old man to croak again. boy was I wrong).
    I've learned to take both what forums say and reviewers say with a grain of salt, personally. Forums tend to show the problems and those irked with them and reviews usually read as a "please let me keep me awesome job by sucking up to you" type of deal. Ah well, can't blame people for being upset, esp if you pay full price and get a buggy game. I feel I'm getting my money's worth though. I doubt I'll get Napoleon though. They should have just made ETW 1700-1900 IMO. 1850 if you want to avoid trench warfare and Maxim/Gatling guns (Civil War era and on). In fact 1850 may have been better b/c then they could squeeze one last TW-style in that takes you through WWI.
    Balloons:

Your impressions are indeed very interesting to read. Remembers me on my first hours with Empire ...

I've said it once here and will always repeat it:

I'd appreciate a TW:Renaissance!
    With colourful armies, hundreds of flags, horns and drums, choral music, catholic priests in front of marching tercios, protestants praying before the beginning of battle ... so many chances for great "battleground atmosphere" with the engine of empire.

Or just a shogun II ...

Marten
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    I'd appreciate a TW:Renaissance!
    With colourful armies, hundreds of flags, horns and drums, choral music, catholic priests in front of marching tercios, protestants praying before the beginning of battle ... so many chances for great "battleground atmosphere" with the engine of empire.
    That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. And you could also be able to include the Americas in there... sort of.

Agreed. Honestly I always felt they should have done their TW games thusly:
    Classical Total War (roughly 700 BC to 300 BC, covering Greece's heyday and its struggles against Persia plus the rise of Alexander)
    Rise of Rome Total War (they did that period mostly, though I'd do 300 BC - 118 AD, allowing the portrayal of the Samnite wars to Rome's greatest territorial expansion)
    Fall of Rome Total War (say 200 AD - 600 AD, BI did the most "dramatic" part of it)
    Byzantium Total War (600 AD - 1000 AD, the Dark Ages of Europe, plus the former ERE's re-emergence as a continental superpower, since by at the turn of the millennium the Byzantine's were practically unchallenged, and then Manzikert happened)
    Medieval Total War (1000 AD - 1400 AD, done that period, twice)
    Renaissance Total War (1400 AD - 1700 AD, this is when the whole "discovery" of America should have occurred, plus the beginnings of the colonies, and the height of Italian power, as well as the Protestant/Catholic schism)
    Empire Total War (1700 AD - 1850 AD, done already, but adding the extra 50 years allows for all of the major revolutionary uprising in Europe and America, plus you get the first true Imperial wars)
    Imperial Total War Total War (1850 AD - 1918 AD, you'd need 4 turns per year, but it covers the height of Imperialism and the consequences thereof, namely WWI, and would allow CA to give us tanks without losing the set-piece feel)

Straying from Europe, I'd like to see these TWs:
    Shogun 2 TW (you know it'd sell)
    Three Kingdoms TW (it'd be interesting to portray this period of China's history)
    Egypt Total War (probably set around the time of the Hyksos)
    I know the other two will never see the light of day but S2TW should happen. Well, I can hope...
    Balloons:

Updating my impressions:
    More good: the diplomacy, again. So much more reasonable.
    The neutral: "Interesting" AI choices. Seems to be very aggressive and not incompetently so, esp against other AI's. To note, so far in my France campaign I've had: Hannover take on Sweden with some success, actually taking Sweden for a while, as well as Denmark and Norway at other points, only to have the Swedes come back and reclaim it all. Also, Hannover vs. Austria has been interesting, as Austria took Estonia, Courland, and East Prussia only to have Hannover take them from them. They have since stalemated but there is a pool of Hannoverian troops in the south of France that I believe wish they could walk on water to reach the African holdings of Austria. Also, the Italian States took Bosnia and Istanbul (!!!) from the Ottomans only to have the Ottomans finally get peace with Russia and take Istanbul back (looks like Bosnia might remain in Italian hands though). I strengthened Mysore during my India jaunt (as well as giving Hannover a territory) to the point where they have been launching inexplicable yet not insignificant attacks on European nations, first at Venice, though that area is too well defended, then at Spain, just recently taking Portugal from them! We'll see how long that force lasts though...also, Maratha took Jamaica from GB and managed to hold on until they signed peace. So yeah, interesting, if somewhat irritating (I'd rather see them focus on growth first, war second but at least I get some interesting tales).
    Balloons:

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

Yeah, I got it on Steam when it went on sale. At first I was disappointed in it... I am still pretty terrible at battle and having trouble with pathfinding. However, I enjoyed the Grand Campaign pretty thoroughly as Great Britain - it was definitely worth the 10 bucks. I like how Medieval 2 Total War is more shiny (not a metaphor, I think the game is overall brighter and more colorful), but I acknowledge that Empire is pretty manly. I dig the decentralization too... I guess I am not a hardcore (really hardcore) gamer, or a modder, but I thought Empire was pretty hot.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

I bought the game first when it came out a bit over a year ago, and played it for about 3 hours, after which I gave up. It didn't seem to work very well. I still find Shogun and the first Medieval to be the best of the series.

I started a Polish campaign about a month ago, and I must say that I enjoyed playing the game. I'm a big fan of the period, so it was great fun to march troops with muskets and devastate formations with canister fire. Diplomacy seems to work to an extent, however, it seems strange that other nations constantly break peace treaties but don't send troops to either defend their own borders or to attack my regions. The addition of secondary settlements in regions is a nice touch, I'd still like that those would be included in the region capital's screen, so there wouldn't be a need to scroll through a hundred settlements. After all, wasn't that why capitals were incorporated in the system? To simplify management? Maybe there is a feature like that somewhere, but I never looked for it too well.

The battle AI is quite stupid, they simply do not understand how to use cannons or how to counter them. The siege system is not only completely inaccurate historically (welcome to Bizarro world!), but also completely broken and murder for the AI. There are many simple improvements I could think of, like limiting the ability of most non-light infantry to run on the battlefield at least close to the enemy (would make maneuvering to a superior position near the enemy a bit more challenging!) and limiting the range of cannons so it would be a bit more risky to lure the enemy away from a safe position with superior artillery (this would also make the galloping guns and dragoons much more useful!).

The naval battles seem to have a lot of "whack-a-mole" potential, even if fleets become impossible to control effectively if there are more than six ships. The most disappointing thing, though, are the insane balance issues with galley and light galley. They could be a fun and useful addition, but in the game, they are overkill. A few galleys with 42 pound cannons blasting a small fleet of 3rd rate ships out of the water without so much as maneuvering?

Lucky I didn't build fleets until the last part of the campaign, because otherwise it would've been another three hours of playing this game before giving up.

It's still a nice game to play, and even when the player uses good tactics, there are always some losses due to enemy fire. Retraining units works pretty well, rakes and gentlemen are useful even if the player doesn't want to fiddle with huge numbers of small things all the time. According to Steam, I've played the game for about 26 hours, which is not too bad for 40 euros or so. There are many worse games that cost more and people play for maybe ten hours and are still willing to pay for them. I think I'll return to this game, even if its only for blasting a square formation with canister and charging them with horses (bad idea in the game, but ah well)...