Thread: No Gentlemen

Default No Gentlemen

I'm having serious Gentlemen issues. As United Provinces, I started conquering regions that had schools right from the start. Had Gentlemen spawn quickly, after upgrading observatories and colleges. Got to six with 5 schools around turn 30. However, since then, with the addition of several more schools, more observatories and the like, no new gentlemen. I have 13 schools in 10 different regions, including Americas and India, but the same 6 guys researching in groups of two in three schools in Europe. I've built schools in towns that have developed, I've torn down Maratha Universities and rebuilt, still no spawning. I have rakes (7), missionaries (8), but the same gentlemen I had from the beginning. I'm to turn 97 now, my gentlemen are all in their mid to late sixties, and most of the technology tree is done, so I'm going to be converting these colleges that don't have anything to do for more productive things (bawdyhouses and industry), but for my next game, any ideas? Anything I did wrong? I have Gentlemen envy for some of these posters who have "only" 11 or 12. Shame. I would like some help with other people's experience. Should I not capture regions with universities? What the heck is wrong? I appreciate your input, much love.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: No Gentlemen

With patch 1.5 they limited Gentlemen to 6.

I have never had more than 6 from that point forward.

The other agents still spawn higher number but not Gentlemen.

To offset the problem it is often a good idea to build more than one school in your home region as they cam be upgraded to Modern Universities.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    With patch 1.5 they limited Gentlemen to 6.

I have never had more than 6 from that point forward.

The other agents still spawn higher number but not Gentlemen.

To offset the problem it is often a good idea to build more than one school in your home region as they cam be upgraded to Modern Universities.
    Just make sure that you supply them with enough booze so they don't overthrow your butt.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Actually it doesn’t increase the unrest all that much. The increase in unrest is only that of the school. A modern university is -8 so two are -16. The unrest is not double as the techs only count once.

As the UP is a Republic the penalty would be less noticeable.

With the shortage of Gentlemen the strategy has to be more schools researching more techs rather than just enough schools for the researchers you have. It may be slower per tech, and you have to prioritize what you want quickly. What you research with a slow low level school still counts and you can switch schools without loosing what you have researched.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Thanks so much for the replies. Handy to know about the gentlemen cap, and the modern university only in your own home region. I captured the Wurtenburg Modern U after they foolishly declared war on me at turn 100. I've got to admit, it makes sense with the cap, but a little knowledge beforehand would have made planning easier. Finally had three of my Gentlemen die, but then get immediately replaced. One was 83! Man, this game is fun...