Thread: Expansion?

Question Expansion?

So, I created this account to simply ask this question: Will you guys be expanding the mod eastwards to include the awesomeness that was the Middle Kingdom of China? Not to forget the many Mongol, Indian, SE Asian, and Korean tribes that could be included.

Hallooooo!! is someone there? Member J.R.M's Avatar

Default Re: Expansion?

I think its impossible, remember that the region limit of 200 is hardcoded, after all those parts of the world would require a hell lot of regions to be historical represented (EB), even more than the whole of Europe and North Africa.
    Oh!! and dont forget the culture slot limit is full (semitic,west hellenic,east hellenic, roman, eastern, barbarian, nomad) and the EB team cant make more (hardcoded).
    If im wrong then please correct me.

Ahora mas que nunca, FUERZA CABROS!! ¡Viva Chile! Thrash till Death!

Not to mention it would take half a decade of sheer work.

And, really, not be super-historically accurate for this time-period. Yes there was interaction between the off-map spots and the map locations... but not at the rapidly-changing level portrayed by Total War

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

And when Qin or Han arrives, then they would be the new AS/Ptolie giant....
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Zi Shang View Post
    Will you guys be expanding the mod eastwards to include the awesomeness that was the Middle Kingdom of China?
    No.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

There is not a single mod that presents all these regions. The closest you will get for RTW is probably Zhan Guo (I'm not sure if it was ever finished, but you may be able to download the beta):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...in-China/page8
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27200

For M2TW there is All Under Heaven, but it is an entirely different period (set roughly 1200-1300 years later during the second half of the Song era/dynasty.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius View Post
    No.
    Short, simple, sweet and to the point.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Short, simple, sweet and to the point.
    Greasy, too. But still good.

If a mod of the East in EB's time (272 BC) were to be made it would be awesome. I suggest someone start a sub-mod after EB2 is released and have the map go from Baktria to the Pacific.

In China it is before the time of the unification under Qin Shi Huang and the Sinitic factions are the Qin, Yan, Zhao, Wei, Qi, Lu, Han and Chu.

In southern China are several factions of a culture called 'Yue' by the Sinitic Chinese. These factions include Minyue, Yelang, Dian, Au Viet, and Van Lang.

In Korea is the mighty Gojoseon empire and the much smaller Jin nation. Meanwhile in Japan the Yayoi culture is flourishing.

From Baktria to Korea the northern steppe powers are Mazakata, Saka Rauka, Wusun, Yuezhi, Xiongnu, and Donghu.

Baktria of course as a soon-to-be break off from the Seleukids.

And in India the Mauryan Empire controls almost everything except for several tribute paying nations, Kilinga, Gandhara, Satavahana, Pandya, Cholas and Anuradhapura.

hmm, I think I've thought about this too much.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    For M2TW there is All Under Heaven, but it is an entirely different period (set roughly 1200-1300 years later during the second half of the Song era/dynasty.)
    There is also another mod called Eras Total Conquest (again in a different period). There are numerous campaigns to play but one of them is the entire world map in 1547, and you can play as some Asian factions.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1251
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=348293
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit View Post
    If a mod of the East in EB's time (272 BC) were to be made it would be awesome. I suggest someone start a sub-mod after EB2 is released and have the map go from Baktria to the Pacific.

In China it is before the time of the unification under Qin Shi Huang and the Sinitic factions are the Qin, Yan, Zhao, Wei, Qi, Lu, Han and Chu.

In southern China are several factions of a culture called 'Yue' by the Sinitic Chinese. These factions include Minyue, Yelang, Dian, Au Viet, and Van Lang.

In Korea is the mighty Gojoseon empire and the much smaller Jin nation. Meanwhile in Japan the Yayoi culture is flourishing.

From Baktria to Korea the northern steppe powers are Mazakata, Saka Rauka, Wusun, Yuezhi, Xiongnu, and Donghu.

Baktria of course as a soon-to-be break off from the Seleukids.

And in India the Mauryan Empire controls almost everything except for several tribute paying nations, Kilinga, Gandhara, Satavahana, Pandya, Cholas and Anuradhapura.

hmm, I think I've thought about this too much.
    Asia ton Barbaron anybody?
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Khan the Great View Post
    Asia ton Barbaron anybody?
    sssh... gamegeek2 will give a surprise....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Well I've posted a potential faction list, anyone want to posit some unit lists?

And as a special bonus, Culture suggestions:
    East Hellenic - Baktria
    Indian - Maurya, Kilinga, Pandya, Gandhara, Satavahana, Anuradhapura
    Sinitic - Qin, Qi, Yan, Han, Zhao, Wei, Lu, Chu
    Yue - Minyue, Dian, Yelang, Au Viet, Van Lang
    North Asian - Gojoseon, Jin, Yayoi
    Nomad - Donghu, Xiongnu, Wusun, Yuezhi, Mazakata, Saka Rauka

Talking Re: Expansion?

OK, when will be realized Asia Barbarorum ?
    by Gaius Septimus Severus

When someone decides to organize a sub-mod team. For now I'm just trying to encourage such an event.

And just to tease, a few Faction overviews.

Mazakata: The Mazakata, also spelt Mazsakata ans Massaegetae, were a Scythian group of nomadic horsemen that lived north of Sogdiana in modern day Uzbekistan and Kazakstan. They first appeared in historical accounts as an enemy of the Persian Empire, stymiing all attempts by the Persians to expand north into their lands. By the time of the third century BC the Mazakata were in decline. Their great nation was dissolving and slowly being swallowed up by new steppe powers in the form of the Parni and Saka Rauka. Yet under a skilled leader it would not be to late to return to power and dominate the steppes once again.

Wusun: The Wusun were a nomdic steppe people who lived north of the Tarim basin. During the third century BC they were attacked by the much more powerful Xiongnu and driven further north, allowing the attention of the Xiongnu to turn to the Yuezhi. The Wusun later allied with the Xiongnu against the Yuezhi, and maintained a status as a subject state for some time. Eventually the Xiongnu empire began to weaken under pressure from China and the Wusun came into their own. It was reported by Chinese historians that the Wusun used mounted crossbowmen. (thx to GG2 for finding that one out)

Donghu: The Donghu were a coalition of a number of different steppe peoples north of China and Korea. Most notably among the coalition were the Xianbei and Wuhuan people. The Donghu coalition was eventually destroyed by the expansion of the Xiongnu. The Wuhuan remained in their ancenstral lands and fought both for and against the Han dynasty of China. The Xianbei invaded the Xiongnu when they began to weaken under pressure from China and replaced them as masters of the steppe.

Wa: Wa is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese name for an early state in southern Japan. The status of this state in the third century BC is extremely unclear, though it is known that this is the period when the group of people that migrated from Korea and China began to make their imprint on southern Japan with what has since been called the 'Yayoi' culture. The Wa state was first identified by the Han Dynasty in its middle and later years through diplomatic contacts and tribute, though a possible reference to the Wa state as tributaries to the Yan state may exist in the third century BC.

Wow, going into Asian history is a continuously learning process for me. I'm always discovering that things aren't quite the way i thought of them the day before as I find new sources.

For example, I just realized that Satavahana in India didn't emerge until around 230 BC and the dominant power in that region was in fact the Chera empire. I also found out that Yelang is a latter Chinese name for the Kingdom and they called themselves Zangke in the 3rd century BC. GG2 pointed out that the Wusun can be more accurately called the Asman. And Gojoseon has an unneeded 'Go' used to differentiate it from a later Joseon state, thus its actually just Joseon. Dong-hu should actually be Tung-hu or something similar. The Chinese state of Wei can also be referred to as Liang. And thats just since my last post!

Updated Factions:
    Sinitic: Qin, Zhao, Chu, Yan, Qi, Wei(Liang), Han, Lu

Yue: Minyue, Zangke, Dian, Van Lang, Au Viet

North Asian: Joseon, Jin, Wa

Nomad: Xiong Nu, Tung-hu, Yuezhi, Asman, Saka Rauka, Mazakata

East Hellenic: Baktria

Indian: Maurya, Pandya, Cholas, Chera, Kalinga, Anuradhapura, Gandhara

Cut Factions and Why:
    Arche Seleukeia: Not enough on the map

Pahlava: Not enough on the map, and their interests are too western for accurate representation

Khotan: Not founded, even mythically, for a few decades yet

Satavahana: Not founded until 230 BC by revolters following the death of Ashoka

Dwipantara: Javan Kingdom, not enough info, not clearly in the time frame, requires the map to go too far south to be worth it

Zapotec, Pre-Classic Maya, Chavin: Having a small chunk of central and south America in the map would have looked ridiculous, felt ridiculous, removed useful faction and province slots

Zhangzhung: Cultural Tibetan group. Not organized enough to qualify as faction until much much later.
    Last edited by Tanit; 06-17-2010 at 14:29.

I've always found most Chinese history to be difficult to follow, though granted the only era I've ever read about was the Three Kingdoms Era. All the written records at the time seem to almost all be state sponsored by whatever warlord/king/minister of the region the scholar writing them resided in, and tend to have a way of always seriously sucking up to their benefactors in all their writings, making it thoroughly difficult to get an even relatively unbiased record of events. To add to it is the way Chinese scholars of the time seem to have ended up blending myth and legend with fact to make it almost impossible to tell what's really happening. I can understand extolling the martial prowess of your nations heroes, but saying they have near supernatural strength and speed is just kind of ridiculous.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guys, this is the EB2 forum. Keep AtB discussion in the AtB thread.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Well thats not entirely fair. They are discussing the possibility of a sub-mod for EB2, not EB1, and the name of AtB only came up because it is a similar project.

If enough people express interest we can start a mod thread over in the EB1 modding sub-forum though...

And the Eastern map blank for you. A little distorted I'm afraid, but hey, cest la vie.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Guys, this is the EB2 forum. Keep AtB discussion in the AtB thread.
    This thread's original purpose stopped on post nr.2.

Nothing wrong with daydreaming about a possible - and very, very interesting - submod for EB II.

Interesting information you've posted here, Tanit. Thank you for that.

--> - Never near Argos - <--