Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Preview: The Boii

Default Re: Preview: The Boii

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    If this has already been noted herein, I apologize for repeating it, but I was trying to match up the Boii's starting territories with the EB1 campaign map just now. I realized that it comprises three regions: Mrogbonna, Noricae, and Pannonia. I think that's pretty cool, since I was expecting them to only start with one. Just wanted to mention it.
    Someone said the starting provinces are still being revised for the Boii...
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Besides, according to Wikipedia, Noricum was an independent kingdom and the Boii never actually managed to conquer it

Noricum was indeed an independant or semi-independent kingdom for a long time. They were especially famed for their iron-skills. I think they were conquered by the Romans during the principate. However the crushing blow to this thriving kingdom came when the Tevtunes and Cimbri invaded

I like the fact that there will finally be a faction that is close to me and I can feel like being one of them (I can't find a good expression for what I want to say) despite sharing only location while being different peoples, but that could be easily overcome by the fact that I am a Celtic fan. I can't wait for next preview, really great job guys.
    BTW, does the latest version of Argoi have some eastern influence in armour?

my balloons

Eastern influence? What do you mean?
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Noricum was indeed an independant or semi-independent kingdom for a long time. They were especially famed for their iron-skills. I think they were conquered by the Romans during the principate.
    If I'm not mistaken they were actually peacefully integrated and retained some degree of autonomy for a few years.

I like the fact that there will finally be a faction that is close to me and I can feel like being one of them
    I understand exactly what you mean I feel the same way about the Boii, although I live on Noricene soil and my ancestors probably were part of the savage invaders from the north

Ummm... so this is the next version of EB? Is it in the same historical period?

Quote Originally Posted by justinius View Post
    Ummm... so this is the next version of EB? Is it in the same historical period?
    Yes, but for all your EBII questions' needs, check out the FAQ

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Yep. It starts 272BC, but will have 9 new factions + many new features benefiting the MTW2 engine

Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    Eastern influence? What do you mean?
    Some of as I noticed later early, middle and late Argoi wear something that looks like linothorax and few helmets look eastern European to me.

my balloons

Aren't there ten new factions? Or has an scripting factions be confirmed?

These are the information about Noricum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noricum

Will the EB Team change the numbers of provinces for the Boi?

Quote Originally Posted by Andronikos View Post
    Some of as I noticed later early, middle and late Argoi wear something that looks like linothorax and few helmets look eastern European to me.
    Good eye. The Boii, being an eastern Celtic group, geographically at least, use the eastern helmets overall, and their scabbard are much more ornate than those found in the Western Celtic areas. Swords found in Hungary are especially beautiful and very ornate in their designs. Swords like this are noted as using the 'Vegetal' art style (not vegetable lol), and these are found heavily in the East, with some turning up in lakes and the like in the West. As for the armor, the Celts appear to have used both. In the West we have a chariot burial in Gaul where the armor of the warrior had disintegrated, but 4 bronze (I think it was bronze) buttons remained in the right places as the buttons on a 'tube-and-yoke' curiass which is a fancy word for the kind of armor type and design that the Greeks are famous for using and wore lol. In Liechtenstein is a statue of a warrior with an Etruscan style Negau helmet, with linothorax looking armor complete with some ptergyes. A cauldron was found too, with a warrior with what looks like linothroax, pteryges included, seated cross legged. This armor has a neckguard protruding up from the back, and the shoulder pieces cross each other over his chest. Quite interesting, and really cool to see. In Belgic territory there is a warrior statue wearing what has been described as armor (leather?) or a tunic. Of all of these, the Belgic statue dates to the EB time frame for certain, the other after that fuzzy area after the Halstatt to La Tene transitional phase occurred and afterwards leading up to 272 B.C. Those are the ones I can think of off the top o' me head. So really, there is proof the Celts wore 'something' other than chainmail of riveted, butted, and combination types. In EB2, these armor types will be seen among the nobility, and some of the Middle class units, but most leather will be in the West, and probably linothorax around the Alps and Cisalpine Gaul, perhaps further East as well. Longer reply than I expected, but hey, this is EB!
    Last edited by Power2the1; 03-22-2010 at 18:18.

Thank you, it was a long but good reply.

my balloons

Excelent work.
    I'm absolutely fascinated.
    Last edited by Boii; 04-01-2010 at 19:52.
    by Gaius Septimus Severus

Quote Originally Posted by Boii View Post
    Excelent work.
    I'm absolutely fascinated.
    Heh, i would say so, since it seems this preview inspired your nickname;)

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Heh, i would say so, since it seems this preview inspired your nickname;)
    No, this thread dont inspire my nicname. But I'm great fan of this tribe... . I came from their homeland -> Czech Republic called Bohemia or Boiohaemum... .
    by Gaius Septimus Severus

You could shape a series of excellent history/classics classes out of this game. I think the scholarship you folks demonstrate would put many acknowledged 'experts' to shame.

Brilliant work.

I have to repeat my question: Will the provinces for the Boii reduced?

In my opinion they have to be reduced, because Noricum has been all time a independent kingdom til the Romans conquered them.

The consequence would be, that the Boii have at the beginning only two, not three provinces.

How do you even know how many provinces will the Boii have? There was no map preview was there? I also said before that the provinces are being revised for the Boii by the time, and that their initial holdings haven't been decided yet.

Also, when posting "information" about something, don't just quote wikipedia. I'm not an expert on Noricum, not even near an expert, and know 3/4 of the wikipedia article. The team knows much more, believe it

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    How do you even know how many provinces will the Boii have? There was no map preview was there? I also said before that the provinces are being revised for the Boii by the time, and that their initial holdings haven't been decided yet.

Also, when posting "information" about something, don't just quote wikipedia. I'm not an expert on Noricum, not even near an expert, and know 3/4 of the wikipedia article. The team knows much more, believe it
    I don't know, if there will be three provinces for the Boii, but at the general map it seems to be three provinces, especially if you compare this map to the map of EB 1. This was also mentioned above.

You want to have more sources?
    Here is a link, unhappily to a german site http://www.imperiumromanum.com/geogr...noricum_03.htm .
    And from the book "Die Welt der Kelten - Geschichte und Mythos eines rätselhaften Volkes" von Arnulf Krause (also in German) on page 56 you can read that both the Boii in Bohemia and the Noriker in Carinthia founded a regnum. But the regnum of the Noriker have never been part of the regnum of the Boii. I hope this are enough sources.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

The Boii starting regions shown on the first preview were only a glimpse of the starting grounds of the facrtion, a WIP. They are currently being revised, and when we have the definitive provinces allocated to them, we will let the fans know, thank you.

The Boii signatures were removed. :(
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    The Boii signatures were removed. :(
    Yeah what's up with that? (use Imageshack)

I re-posted them some time ago, they are at the bottom of the page.

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I re-posted them some time ago, they are at the bottom of the page.

LINK
    Thank you Mr. Gustave of the Europa Barbarorum II team!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

You're welcome πολέμαρχος .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345