Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Boii

Default Re: Preview: The Boii

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    amazing work ^^ so the naked spearman and gaesatae will most likely be one of their units considering their regions map and the batle of telamon

the lack of cavalery seems a bit troubling but i guess i will just have to wait for the other 2 previews (note i haven´t seen the video yet)

as for the boii empire one can remember brennus when he went to delphi who created alot of small celtic kingdoms in the balkans so the empire can refear to conquering the regions with keltic populations in it such as scordasci tyles transalpine gaul and ofc the alps (or even going all the way to galatia and reuniting the eastern celtic population into a powerfull confederation)

will the boii be able to build 2nd tier mines or just the basic mines ? i mean if they can build 2nd tier mines considering their previledged position to take over the alps and the balkans they will be in no time a true superpower with all the metals coming from the balkans and the alps and thus the richest faction in the game in less then 60 turns for a decent general (and all of this without the need for trading ports nonetheless)

one small remark ... lusitania and therefore lusitanian was not a celtic language

i got the boi right now lets see if the belgiums and the celtiberians will be included ^^ i suspect western europe will be one hell of a interesting place to be in only problem is that if the belgiums appear then the chattii won´t most likely
    There was 2 naked units in EB1. I think theres 3 in EB2 in different geographical locations as having 1 or 2 covering all locales wouldn't work. The Gaesatae and the ritual naked guys are included but under Gallicized names, as well as another one that will probably be shown in a future preview.

As mentioned previously, there are 2 cvalry units shown in the preview, but theres going to be plenty of Celtic cavalry in EB2. The Celts were famous for their cavalry and equestrian abilities, so this is certainly an emphasis for EB2. Right now I think there are 5 different types, heavy, medium, and light cavalry, split between Eastern and Western Celts. More to come though!

The Cel;tic invasion/expedition/migration in Greece was a success and a failure. It depends on how you look at it. They failed in conquering Greec, if that was their aim, but succeeded in coming away with a lot of treasure, if one thinks Delphi was looted and treasure taken away by the Textosages to southern Gaul. Still, this resulted in the Galatians entering the history of Anatolia and the merc activity of the east was certainly a success there.

As for what they will build, thats not been decided just yet

The Belgae will certainly be represented in EB2!

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power2the1 View Post
    The Belgae will certainly be represented in EB2!
    Interesting..

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

Thumbs up Re: Preview: The Boii

Great work!

Thanks.
    The soldier who runs away, will RUN away another day...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur, king of the Britons View Post
    Interesting..
    remember the respresented doesn´t include a faction per se altough it´s one of my big hopes that sentence hardly confirms the inclusion of the belgae if anything and analysing the teams behaviour prior to this (they abuse the desinformation agents aka as moros) it makes for a stronger case for the chattii being included (someone hates the sweaboz in here it seems )

The Cel;tic invasion/expedition/migration in Greece was a success and a failure. It depends on how you look at it. They failed in conquering Greec, if that was their aim, but succeeded in coming away with a lot of treasure, if one thinks Delphi was looted and treasure taken away by the Textosages to southern Gaul. Still, this resulted in the Galatians entering the history of Anatolia and the merc activity of the east was certainly a success there.
    the books that i´ve read claim that the acheans or achaens had already pillaged the temples themselfs prior to the keltic invasion and used the kelts as an excuse for the treasure disapeiring

the scordasci and several other groups where partly celtic as was most of thrakia after the invasion so when we talk about a boii empire one as to presume they are refering to the areas where so many boii where present so the balkans northern italy and the alps are all places where the boii are always mentioned to have been and therefore one must consider those are areas as of a future boii empire and probably victory conditions for them (boiii empire would therefore constitute the balkans without the epirote dacian makedonian kallattis and kh lands being included all the way to the bosphorus strait and maybe even into galatia then the eastern alps and the eastern part of nothern italy)

the sweaboz are ofc screwed with this since now they have competition in their imediate area of influence and expansion and considering they are far poorer more then never a sweaboz player will have to make use of their forest advantage to survive the dacians will have a nice competition for them and the same for the sauromatae and depending if the boii make a push to northern italy or not a more interesting roman gameplay (one can even argue that maybe the boii could be given bologne with a type3 goverment or even type4 but thats for the team to decide)
    another issue is the aulete illirians at this time their lands had been ravished by the boii previously so they are probably going to be an easy picking for them unleass an illirian faction shows up but if an illirian faction appears how would they be viable ? they where extremely weakened in terms of manpower even tough they piracy ports and expecially mines (dalmatia (L) ) make them economicaly viable so it might be viable with an extreme use and abuse of mercenaries

overall this a far better faction then many that managed to enter eb1 and will spice things tremendously ingame

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    remember the respresented doesn´t include a faction per se altough it´s one of my big hopes that sentence hardly confirms the inclusion of the belgae if anything and analysing the teams behaviour prior to this (they abuse the desinformation agents aka as moros) it makes for a stronger case for the chattii being included (someone hates the sweaboz in here it seems )
    Lulz yeah I figured but it would make for a nice faction.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 03-04-2010 at 20:43. Reason: Kill me please..

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be any evidence of massive divergence- to the extent, of course, that there is much evidence at all. And we do have to consider that personal names might well persist longer than other parts of speech. But still, the Italian Boii aren't reported as speaking a language incomprehensible to the Senones, for example. The most divergent seems to be Celtiberian, at least in its written form.

The truth is there are many equally plausible scenarios. One critique to raise to my minimal divergence theory is how then is language congruency maintained?
    Yes, that's what I was wondering about. Thanks for explaining.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Sooo... all the Boii lived in thatched-roof huts? Even in their large cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Yes, that's what I was wondering about. Thanks for explaining.
    These, I should say, are my opinions and not necessarily those of other team members.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    No, not at all. Homes in Northern italy show 'roofs', in the sense of not being thatched. These roofs were slanted, I assume for rain dainage. Thatched houses were prolably common in Northern Italy though. The northern Boii oppida I honestly forget what their home were reconstructed as.

Yes, that's why we made the "Barbarian Culture" settlements like that. Not because we have to cover factions ranging from the farthest point of Iberia to the Black Sea, not because we have to reasonably represent all these factions as equally as possible, and certainly not because we have to make the settlements distinct on the campaign map. No, no we decided to make the "Boii" settlements like that because we think that the Boii were mud-hut dwelling savages.

Perhaps I might suggest a rephrasing of your question in the manner of someone who intends to show a little respect and give the benefit of doubt to those who have provided a rather excellent preview.

"I was wondering about the settlement models. Do they accurately represent the buildings that would have been found in Boii settlements? I was wondering this, because I thought that the cities in that region were somewhat developed and would have included more prestigious buildings. Please let me know".

Too much to ask, perhaps? We'll see.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

It's very possible that he's just trolling.The Boii look absolutely amazing though and i can tell the EB team has put a LOT of work on them.Great job and many thanks to all you guys.
    Ongoing Campaigns: Baktria, Casse, Koinon Hellenon, Pahlava.

Abandoned/Failed Campaigns: Aedui-Epeiros-Pontos-Saba-Saka Rauka-Sauromatae. (I'll be back though!)

Blog Entries

Exactly. People often forget, that EB is a mod and making every barbarian city as close at possible to its real counterpart in the antic would probably delay EBIIs release to late 2050.
    The settlements look incredible and are far more aplyable to all of the barbarian countries.

Amazing preview with lots of nice EB stuff as well as interesting information.
    I found a book called The golden age of the land of Boii (my word to word translation) from Anna Bauerova in my local library, I hope it will be a good read. Unfortunately I don't have access to books you suggest or the ones form EB bibliography, only option would be ordering them which could be costly. But I found Peter Greens Hellenistic age in the same local library, it was a great surprise especially because it was translated. I have no problems with reading English books, it just cheered me that our publishers can choose quality books. It will be the next historical book to read after finish the Boii one.

my balloons

They see me rollin', they hatin'... I would give you a balloon if this was directed at anyone other than the EB Team.

Great Preview. So stoked to see the Boii made it in and hopefully make the Roman AI think twice from always expanding into NE Europe. So stoked for the faction. Looking forward to playing this one. But might have to do a campaign as the Bosphorean Kingdoms first

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Thumbs up Re: Preview: The Boii

I WANT TO PLAY EUROPA BARBARORUM NOW

Awesome!

..........................[

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mithick666 View Post
    I WANT TO PLAY EUROPA BARBARORUM NOW
    well, you'll have to wait. at least the progress of the team is comparatively rapid, when one considers the size of the project.

well, I'll have to cross out another faction as confirmed.

They see me rollin', they hatin'...
    meth, we should keep all wierd al references where they belong. in the frontroom and tavern EDIT: no matter how indirect
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 03-07-2010 at 22:33.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    A little?! It's a freaking xenomorph with hundreds of matrioskas heads:

As a side not, that is not the carnyx for the boii which will feature a bull that has been done recently and it's the britsh carnyx that was used as a template. In conclusion each celtic faction will get they own carnyx.
    So is this the helmet for all Celtic carnyx-players, or will the different factions get helmets with different decoration? Not to nitpick, but the Tintignac finds are unique to France, whereas something like the Ciumesti helmet might be more appropriate for an eastern-Celtic unit.

Where did I say it will be for all the factions?! It will be used accordingly by the correct factions.

I am loving this Faction selection !

Thanks F0ot And EB...
    You are making my days happier than ever :3
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Looks really good! Thanks for the preview!

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    Where did I say it will be for all the factions?! It will be used accordingly by the correct factions.
    Given the region where it was found, would it be more appropriate for Arverni or for Aedui?

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Guys,
    The Tintignac helmet is just a place holder.
    The Boii helmet is just not made yet.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Yes, but my question was about the Gauls, not the Boii.
    Last edited by athanaric; 03-09-2010 at 05:16.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Yes, but I my question was about the Gauls, not the Boii.
    Let just say that the Tintignac helmet was made for a Gallic faction.
    I think that covers your question enough.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Given the region where it was found, would it be more appropriate for Arverni or for Aedui?
    Yes, exactly. With carnyx that was found with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
    Guys,
    The Tintignac helmet is just a place holder.
    The Boii helmet is just not made yet.
    That clears it up. Thanks!

Gauls, Boii... Tomato, Tomato, all fall to the fury of the Norsemen or get included in Res Publica Romana to be civilised and enjoy pax romana ;-)

Boii looks interesting though. Might try them after Rome and Suebi, unless a Cimbric faction gets included *drools at the thought*
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

If this has already been noted herein, I apologize for repeating it, but I was trying to match up the Boii's starting territories with the EB1 campaign map just now. I realized that it comprises three regions: Mrogbonna, Noricae, and Pannonia. I think that's pretty cool, since I was expecting them to only start with one. Just wanted to mention it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast