Thread: Returning to 1.5: What's a mediocre player to do?

Default Returning to 1.5: What's a mediocre player to do?

I bought E:TW when it came out, played on and off while the first couple of patches came out and then drifted away to other games. Now I'm back, and we're at version 1.5.

I ought to point out right at the start that I'm not very good at the TW series. I'm okay. I don't fail badly most of the time. But I'm not one of the people who constantly complains that it's too easy. Despite this, I've been having fun since Shogun.

At first, I thought nothing much had changed. The battle AI is still fairly rubbish, but the enemy wandering around in front of my artillery is one of the things that helps me win battles. I'm not complaining. The strategic AI seems to have improved a bit. Nonetheless, it's 1780 and I'm carving out a nice new home in New England. 1781 rolls around and... WHAT? Spain, who last year were "Very Friendly" declare war. The next thing I know there's a full stack of good quality troops next to Boston and they've taken it.

Now, I could keep a full stack in all coastal cities and post a picket of sloops along my coast. But is that really what I have to do? Have CA really stooped so low as to use unfathomable war declarations to beef up the difficulty? Or am I missing some new diplomacy mechanic that makes people suddenly hate you?

Argh!

Default Re: Returning to 1.5: What's a mediocre player to do?

Quote Originally Posted by foop View Post
    Now, I could keep a full stack in all coastal cities and post a picket of sloops along my coast. But is that really what I have to do? Have CA really stooped so low as to use unfathomable war declarations to beef up the difficulty? Or am I missing some new diplomacy mechanic that makes people suddenly hate you?

Argh!
    They've really stooped so low that they use unfathomable war declarations... Then again, they've done that since I've been playing the series (the first Medieval).

I have an answer what any ETW player should do: play DarthMod.
    DMUC, if you have the horsepower in your PC

The BAI might still be mighty dumb, but the CAI is so much more reasonable.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Something else to know about 1.5 is that the difficulty level has a large effect on diplomacy.

If you are playing at the higher difficulty setting you are going to be facing self destructive homicidal maniacs.

Besides having massive cash bonuses so they field large armies (while you face some penalties) there is a player hating god to go along with the rest.

If you are just coming back to the game, try playing on Normal campaign difficulty.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain