Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WWI: Clash of Empires - Discussion thread [Concluded]

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default WWI: Clash of Empires - Discussion thread [Concluded]

The 'World War One' game

Current title of the game: World War One: Clash of Empires
    Possible starting date: 28th June
    Playable factions: United Kingdom, France, Russia, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Ottomans, Italy, United States
    Period: From the start of 1914 to the end of 1919 ( 4 turns per year = 24 turns )
    Theaters of War: Europe, North-America/Atlantic, German East-Africa
    Campaign Map: Hex-based map
    Co-Hosts: johnhughthom, woad&fangs

More about the game:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The game is similar to "The Thirty Years War" that I hosted few months ago. Players have the chance to re-battle WWI.
    With the new features (tech tree, NPC's, improved economy etc.) and co-hosts I hope this game will better.
    There are few blogs about the game but I'll transfer all the information about the game into this thread.
    One thing I would like to remind all those who are interested that in this game you don't have to run a country on your own.
    Three people(or perhaps more) per faction would be the best solution since that way there will always be someone who could substitute the leader(player who receives my previous turn reports) and send the orders in time.
    Also, with co-hosts I hope there wouldn't be any long time pauses between write-ups like there were in TYW.

Questions? Suggestions?

Maps
    European map(changed some borders a bit):

Austo-Hungarian, Russian and German borders were changed a bit. Kuwait was given to the British.

American/Atlantic map:

German East-Africa:

Movement/conquering territories/recruitment work differently in this theater..

Transport zones are marked on the map but railways or "minor" cities are not(yet).

The Sign ups are open!

Currently signed up players:
    England
    1. Centurion1
    2. Cultured Drizzt fan

Ottomans

1. Double A

Italy

1. Chaotix

Russia

1. spl1tper50nal1ty

USA
    1. Secura

France
    1. slashandburn

Austro-Hungary
    1. Prince Cobra

Germany
    1. Beefy187

Interested:
    Thermal Mercury
    Subotan
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-29-2010 at 17:23.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The 'World War One' game - pregame discussion, questions&answers etc.

Give incentives to people to send their orders in early.

Bastion of Sanity Member Captain Blackadder's Avatar

Default Re: The 'World War One' game - pregame discussion, questions&answers etc.

Include the commonwealth perhapes.

Coming Soon to a Gameroom Near You

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

include me ill make it memorable. if only saxony could have reached her full power...........

i cant even describe how much im anticipating this game. please tell its not in the summer depending on my university choices i may be a bit busy......

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Will the players controlling Russia automatically lose in the first turn (January-March?) of 1918? Will the United States be unable to participate until the second turn (April-June?) of 1917?

Or are you playing this as an alternate history, whereby the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (and perhaps the Communist Revolution that preceded it) might not happen, for example?
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Give incentives to people to send their orders in early.
    I'll think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    Include the commonwealth perhapes.
    New Zealand, Australia, Canada and South-Africa are part of the game. Not on map but they can support with resources and units.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    include me ill make it memorable. if only saxony could have reached her full power...........

i cant even describe how much im anticipating this game. please tell its not in the summer depending on my university choices i may be a bit busy......
    My plan was to start this in May. So, this means first years of the game will be played during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    Will the players controlling Russia automatically lose in the first turn (January-March?) of 1918? Will the United States be unable to participate until the second turn (April-June?) of 1917?

Or are you playing this as an alternate history, whereby the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (and perhaps the Communist Revolution that preceded it) might not happen, for example?
    It's more like alternate history. Historical events might happen if conditions are close enough but I'm not going to force them on players.
    It's the players who take decisions and probably rewrite the history.. at least in this game.
    So, Russia will not lose in 1918 and US could join the war before 1917.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how my life will be from April onwards.
    So I'll just reserve my spot as an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

My plan was to start this in May. So, this means first years of the game will be played during the summer.
    ill make time if i have to ill decline admission to the military academies. you better not disappoint me now, ibn.

Secura, like the last 30yw war game by ibn its a alternate history. for example as saxony i controlled a good chunk of central Europe. I would have had more too.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    It's more like alternate history. Historical events might happen if conditions are close enough but I'm not going to force them on players.
    It's the players who take decisions and probably rewrite the history.. at least in this game.
    So, Russia will not lose in 1918 and US could join the war before 1917.
    Excellent; it's war, but without all the socio-political fallout that comes alongside the combat! :D

I would have had more too.........
    ...if it wasn't for those pesky Brits! xD
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

HAHAHAHAHA ^ lol no

cdf was the British so of course..........

Blog Entries

ill make time if i have to ill decline admission to the military academies. you better not disappoint me now, ibn.

Secura, like the last 30yw war game by ibn its a alternate history. for example as saxony i controlled a good chunk of central Europe. I would have had more too.........
    That kind of expansion will be quite difficult because NPC's can fight back in this game.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

That kind of expansion will be quite difficult because NPC's can fight back in this game.

Don't worry. We will find a way
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

i just want everyone to know ive started drawing up plans for every country depending on who i choose. so you can all give up now.

Blog Entries

I have two co-hosts now.
    They are johnhughthom and woad&fangs

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And I as the Ottomans was richer than Bill Gates if he exchanged all his money into Euros, and then changed them back into dollars when the dollar was weaker. Speaking of which... wait I don't even need to say who I want to play as, do I?

Quote Originally Posted by Cultured Drizzt fan View Post
    Don't worry. We will find a way
    We'll throw warhammers at them to soften them up!

Blog Entries

Speaking of which... wait I don't even need to say who I want to play as, do I?
    Montenegro?

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Montenegro...

No, I want some conclusion!

Blog Entries

Announcement:

I'm looking for some people who could make some signatures for this game.
    It would be nice to have 1 signature per country plus 1 general signature.
    If You have time then your help is welcomed!
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 03-21-2010 at 21:36.

I am totally in this game.

I'll be looking out for the sign up thread and hoping I don't miss it :D
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Blog Entries

Good to hear.

Also, I plan to show you the European map in this upcoming week.
    African and American ones need some more work.

It would be nice to have 1 signature per country plus 1 general signature.
    If You have time then your help is welcomed!
    I think the British one should be obvious... "BRITONS! IBN WANTS YOU!"

Blog Entries

Good to hear.

Also, I plan to show you the European map in this upcoming week.
    African and American ones need some more work.
    Awesome!

I'm antzy with anticipation.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Will there be playable minor factions if you get more sign-ups than intended? If the war goes differently, different nations might come into play.

For instance, perhaps the Zimmermann telegram is never intercepted, and Mexico launches a surprise attack on the U.S. Or, Spain decides to get involved in the war. Or maybe the U.S. joins the Central Powers instead and decides to take Canada.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Blog Entries

The Zimmermann telegram...?

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    The Zimmermann telegram...?
    Ever studied WWI? It was a telegram sent by Germany's foreign secretary, Arthur Zimmermann, to Mexico, negotiating a secret alliance and all of Mexico's old American lands in exchange for them sneak-attacking the U.S. when they joined the Allies. It was intercepted by the British, though, and they publicized it, causing the U.S. to be royally pissed at Germany. It certainly didn't help the Central Powers' chances as they had hoped.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Blog Entries

All I know about WWI:

First tanks
    Chemical warfare
    Trench warfare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Will there be playable minor factions if you get more sign-ups than intended? If the war goes differently, different nations might come into play.

For instance, perhaps the Zimmermann telegram is never intercepted, and Mexico launches a surprise attack on the U.S. Or, Spain decides to get involved in the war. Or maybe the U.S. joins the Central Powers instead and decides to take Canada.
    Minor factions will not be available but major factions can influence minor factions to join their alliance.
    So, Spain joining the war or US joining the Central powers is quite possible.

About the sign-ups..
    I always thought that having at least 3 players per faction would be perfect.
    This way you could RP internal politics of a country as well.

Edit: Double A, did you knew that the first tanks couldn't even cross the trenches? Or that the word "tank" was made up just to keep the true purpose of the vehicle secret?
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 03-24-2010 at 23:51.

Blog Entries

And here is the European map:

Those light blue spots on sea are STZ's(Sea transport zone).
    It's possible to move from European map to American using those 3 western most STZ's.
    STZ near Portugal allows to move to African theatre.
    STZ near Alexandria/Egypt allows moving to the STZ in Red Sea.
    Those 4 gray hexes in Egypt is LTZ(Land Transport Zones) and it connects East Africa with Europe.

There are capitals as well.
    Suggestions?

Blog Entries

I think Spain and Portugal should be countries. That's just a massive blob of land just asking France to be gobbled up.

Also what are the STZs at the Baleares, England/France, between England and Denmark, Malta, Aegean, north Russia, Gotland Persian Gulf, Crimea, island north of England, and the one north of Norway for?

And does the one near Portugal allow movement into NA and African theaters?

And since my understanding of the history of Europe is sketchy at best from Napoleon to WWII, why does England have Malta, Egypt, and Cyprus?

edit: Since Russia is so fecking huge, even bigger than the Ottomans in 30YW, is there some way to counter them having a bajillion gold turn 2 onwards? Like a "remote/backwater hex" penalty (meaning non-coastal non-Nile Africa, Arabia Ottomans don't have, Russian Hinterland, Scandinavia)
    Last edited by Double A; 03-25-2010 at 00:45.

Blog Entries

All desert/wasteland provinces should have that effect.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast