Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WWI: Clash of Empires - Discussion thread [Concluded]

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The 'World War One' game - pregame discussion, questions&answers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Minor factions will not be available but major factions can influence minor factions to join their alliance.
    So, Spain joining the war or US joining the Central powers is quite possible.

About the sign-ups..
    I always thought that having at least 3 players per faction would be perfect.
    This way you could RP internal politics of a country as well.

Edit: Double A, did you knew that the first tanks couldn't even cross the trenches? Or that the word "tank" was made up just to keep the true purpose of the vehicle secret?
    Yes and no - the first tanks were a big hunk of metal that moved at a crawl and had the balance of a Magikarp on a tiperope. But... question mark face?

Default Re: The 'World War One' game - pregame discussion, questions&answers etc.

Chaotix, you and I need to be on the same team, no matter what team it is <3
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    I think Spain and Portugal should be countries. That's just a massive blob of land just asking France to be gobbled up.

Also what are the STZs at the Baleares, England/France, between England and Denmark, Malta, Aegean, north Russia, Gotland Persian Gulf, Crimea, island north of England, and the one north of Norway for?

And does the one near Portugal allow movement into NA and African theaters?

And since my understanding of the history of Europe is sketchy at best from Napoleon to WWII, why does England have Malta, Egypt, and Cyprus?

edit: Since Russia is so fecking huge, even bigger than the Ottomans in 30YW, is there some way to counter them having a bajillion gold turn 2 onwards? Like a "remote/backwater hex" penalty (meaning non-coastal non-Nile Africa, Arabia Ottomans don't have, Russian Hinterland, Scandinavia)
    1. Unless France wants Spain and Portugal to join Central Powers I advise not to attack them. They are more worth by influencing them to join your side. Country with whom they have the best relationship(NPC and player led country must also be in the same alliance) will be able to control their military.

2. STZ's allow faster traveling to your ships.
    So, if Ottomans want to move their fleet from Istanbul to Brest then their orders must be:
    (Ottoman fleet starting position is Istanbul STZ B1(upper hex in the center row))
    Malta B1 > Baleares A1 > Gibraltar A2 > Brest B2

3. Yes. It allows to move to American and African theaters. So, guard it well.

4. Since British owned them when the war started?

5. You don't receive tax money from hexes rather from upgrading your infrastructure. So, the amount of hexes means nothing. Having large territory without railroads or cities(there will be more of them not just capitals) makes it harder to reinforce/supply your armies.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

And does the one near Portugal allow movement into NA and African theaters?
    I would assume this zone is meant to represent Gibraltar and it's likely a means for British access to the Med. It'll be interesting to see how the British and French players prevent the Germans and such from utilising those Atlantic STZs. :3

Since Russia is so fecking huge, even bigger than the Ottomans in 30YW, is there some way to counter them having a bajillion gold turn 2 onwards?
    Why would Russia have alot of money? Their economy was mainly agricultural in comparison to the industrialised and increasingly wealthy Germans and Brits. They were decades behind until the Stalin era, really.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    I would assume this zone is meant to represent Gibraltar and it's likely a means for British access to the Med. It'll be interesting to see how the British and French players prevent the German submarines from utilising those Atlantic STZs. :3
    I made a small correction.

Why would Russia have alot of money? Their economy was mainly agricultural in comparison to the industrialised and increasingly wealthy Germans and Brits. They were decades behind until the Stalin era, really.
    Since this is an alternative reality then Russian players can make wonders with Russia if they don't make the same mistakes as Russians did in WWI. I think another Battle of Tannenberg will not happen in this game.

Blog Entries

Because in the previous game in this style, Thirty Years War (Oh God what a game; VIVA LA FRANCE), Russia was absolutely minted, as all Hexes gave the same amount of income.

Blog Entries

Announcement:

I'm looking for some people who could make some signatures for this game.
    It would be nice to have 1 signature per country plus 1 general signature.
    If You have time then your help is welcomed!
    Posted General sig in both graphic places on the forum

I am definitely in this, I like the idea of having 3 to each faction, not only does it help if a player is inactive but it allows for teamwork, each team member can access a different part of the faction: I.e. 1 sorts finance, 2 sorts military, 3 sorts diplomacy & expansion

At least that's how I'd organize it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Mercury View Post

I am definitely in this, I like the idea of having 3 to each faction, not only does it help if a player is inactive but it allows for teamwork, each team member can access a different part of the faction: I.e. 1 sorts finance, 2 sorts military, 3 sorts diplomacy & expansion

You got it!

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On a different matter... the recruiting thread can be in the gameroom (for obvious reasons) but I simply can get it why the IH like this one is in the Gamerooom, not in the Chapter House?

P.S. I read somewhere it was a "gameroom" game... :cough:

P.S. Nothing personal against the gameroom but I find it too vaast...
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-27-2010 at 01:12.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would assume this zone is meant to represent Gibraltar and it's likely a means for British access to the Med. It'll be interesting to see how the British and French players prevent the Germans and such from utilising those Atlantic STZs. :3

In 30YW, each hex gave 200 money per turn, so even though the Ottomans in real life were piss poor... poor, I had passed the million mark before anyone else. Or was it 100,000? Anyway, I had a lot of money, when I really shouldn't had.

1. Unless France wants Spain and Portugal to join Central Powers I advise not to attack them. They are more worth by influencing them to join your side. Country with whom they have the best relationship(NPC and player led country must also be in the same alliance) will be able to control their military.

2. STZ's allow faster traveling to your ships.
    So, if Ottomans want to move their fleet from Istanbul to Brest then their orders must be:
    (Ottoman fleet starting position is Istanbul STZ B1(upper hex in the center row))
    Malta B1 > Baleares A1 > Gibraltar A2 > Brest B2

3. Yes. It allows to move to American and African theaters. So, guard it well.

4. Since British owned them when the war started?

5. You don't receive tax money from hexes rather from upgrading your infrastructure. So, the amount of hexes means nothing. Having large territory without railroads or cities(there will be more of them not just capitals) makes it harder to reinforce/supply your armies.
    1. Oh I thought the Iberian Penn. was just a big blurb of white for the taking, like most of Russia, N. Africa, and Ireland in 30YW

2. So... they're like Mass Relays?

4. I thought France owned Malta and Egypt, and Ottomans owned Cyprus. Wow, I really need to study history from Napoleon to WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Mercury View Post

Gah?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Cobra View Post
    On a different matter... the recruiting thread can be in the gameroom (for obvious reasons) but I simply can get it why the IH like this one is in the Gamerooom, not in the Chapter House?

Because the first one was in the gameroom?

Blog Entries

Because the first one was in the gameroom?
    Which was not quite the place for such a game. Although, the idea to make the discussion and recruitment thread in the gameroom is a very good one.

Well, I hesitate whether to join or not. Austria would need my help (though I see it quite ruined in the eve of WW1) but Real Life needs more attention. So perhaps I should keep my mouth shut. Perhaps
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-27-2010 at 10:36.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

There are several reasons.
    First, because the previous game of this type(Thirty Years War) was in Gameroom.
    Second, being in Gameroom helps to advertise the game a bit more.
    Third, I checked Chapter House and this game looks different than the games played there.

Blog Entries

I checked Chapter House and this game looks different than the games played there.

Sorry for my ignorance but your game simply has a sophisticated military system (that would be adapted to the trench war). I can't see much of a difference. It is also based on history...

Concert of Europe is a quite different beast from the WW1. The diplomacy there is essential, whilst in the WW1 the dimplomatic maneuvres had little place (at least historically). Black and white game: you are either enemy or friend; compromise between the blocks was impossible even when the damages were bigger than the gains... It was basically the failure of the whole model.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-27-2010 at 12:36. Reason: Clarification
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Sorry for my ignorance but your game simply has a sophisticated military system (that would be adapted to the trench war). I can't see much of a difference. It is also based on history...

Concert of Europe is a quite different beast from the WW1. The diplomacy there is essential, whilst in the WW1 the dimplomatic maneuvres had little place (at least historically). Black and white game: you are either enemy or friend; compromise between the blocks was impossible even when the damages were bigger than the gains... It was basically the failure of the whole model.
    Well, though you are mostly right about that black and white game thing there were exceptions(Netherlands comes to my mind).
    Also, this game allows ahistorical moves such as Germany and France signing peace separately or Ottomans turning against other Central Powers etc. There will be consequences of course(drop in relations between NPC and player country etc) for such actions.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

cdf needs to get back so we can plan on how to conquer all of you ignorant savages again........

Chaotix, you and I need to be on the same team, no matter what team it is <3
    i sense a betrayal chaotix fear the split.

No betrayal, I love chaotix and think we'd work well together

<3
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Blog Entries

Thats one jagged love heart split

No betrayal, I love chaotix and think we'd work well together

<3
    like i said watch him hes a slippery one he is.

Blog Entries

So... what happens now?

i win. its predestined surrender your empires to me now and i will allow you to live and entertain me.

Equicidal Maniac Member slashandburn's Avatar

would love to be in this looks sweet. Tanks at least at first = 90% mechanical failure. ignore them until very late.
    Parla più piano e nessuno sentirà, il nostro amore lo viviamo io e te,
    nessuno sa la verità, neppure il cielo che ci guarda da lassù.
    Insieme a te io resterò,
    amore mio, sempre così.
    Parla più piano e vieni più vicino a me, Voglio sentire gli occhi miei dentro di te,
    nessuno sa la verità, è un grande amore e mai più grande esisterà.
    Insieme a te io resterò,
    amore mio, sempre così.
    Parla più piano e vieni più vicino a me,Voglio sentire gli occhi miei dentro di te,
    nessuno sa la verità,è un grande amore e mai più grande esisterà.

Blog Entries

Also, can't we have EUIII/Victoria/Thirty Years War map colours? Pretty please?
    Last edited by Subotan; 04-07-2010 at 00:25.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How about fortifications?

Blog Entries

It's possible to build trenches and forts.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Also, can't we have EUIII/Victoria/Thirty Years War map colours? Pretty please?
    The only aesthetic change I would suggest is changing France to a dark blue, and perhaps swapping the Austrian and German colors- otherwise it looks all good to me- British Red, Russian Green, and Ottomans can be any hue of red/green really.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Blog Entries

France is already dark blue in the new map.

Blog Entries

I think Russia should be light blue, and Ottomans should get Russia's color.

Blog Entries

I re-did the European map all over when I discovered a site where I can make my own hex-based maps much easier. Also, I think it looks a lot better as well!
    What do you think?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Many things(other cities, railroad, harbours, STZ's etc) are still missing but it's not that hard to add them later.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 04-25-2010 at 21:18.

Blog Entries

Very nice!

Hungarian Galicia is wrong though.

Notice the "flat" border, with the 90 degree angle with Poland/Russia.

Blog Entries

If anyone is wondering what they look side by side, well, just change tabs real quickly.

Map 1

Map 2

Also, why'd you cut off 3ish rows?
    Last edited by Double A; 04-27-2010 at 00:51.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast