Thread: Any improvements to Empire since Napoleon's release?

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

Default Any improvements to Empire since Napoleon's release?

There was a hint that Empire would have some additions and upgrades with the installation of Napoleon. So, whilst I still ponder on a purchase (and work out how to move Steam App to my 2nd hard drive)...was this accurate, have you noticed anything in play?
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Default Re: Any improvements to Empire since Napoleon's release?

I fired it up yesterday for the first time this year - stopped playing ever since the Marathas became a ridiculously implausible Superpower - and there were sizeable updates downloaded, both for Steam and ETW. Didn't notice any changes but it was only 3 hours of play.
    Seemed to be normal business as the usual suspects queued up to declare war on me as Russia, think I know the script off by heart now. Never was fond of Groundhog Day so have shelved it again.

Is NTW any better than this?
    "St Juniper once said, 'By his loins shall ye know him and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.' The length of my rod is a mystery to all but the Queen, and a thousand Turkish whores, but the
    fruits of my loins are here for all to see. I have two sons, Henry and.... another one.
    Step forward, Harry, Prince of Wales."

( King Richard in Blackadder)

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

What ever improvements we get will come as a patch.

The code of NTW is not compatable with ETW so there is not retrofit possable any more.

The good news is that patch 1.6 is in beta. But we have no idea how long it will be before release.

CA has not been saying much.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

For me Napoleon is much better, for starters I have more fun in Napoleon´s battles than in ETW( they are bloodier and more difficult). Cannons are damn dangerous and hit your troops most of the time let alone if your general passes by (The cpu looks for your general). The encouraging from the general is cool and the optimization of the game is better too than ETW so i would say "its worth it". I´m having a blast with it.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

...George Patton

History repeats itself because CA wasnt listening the first time (or any other)

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

Well, I'm mainly hoping that the graphical lag-glitches will be ironed out on Empire in the next patch then.

It's silly, Empire is laggy and stuttery on my sytem yet the Napoleon demo runs like a fluid dream at nearly highest settings. Granted not a true depiction but I'm hoping N:TW runs better and that the Empire issues get resolved.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

To be honest, ever since I got Napoleon I haven't looked back at Empire. In a few months I'm sure I will, but Napoleon is everything Empire should have been and more. There are maybe two things that bug me about the game, and total war fans should buy it just for the total war experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornwallis View Post
    To be honest, ever since I got Napoleon I haven't looked back at Empire. In a few months I'm sure I will, but Napoleon is everything Empire should have been and more. There are maybe two things that bug me about the game, and total war fans should buy it just for the total war experience.
    Welcome to the Org my lord.

And I totally agree.

Mark Twain

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neoiq5719 View Post
    For me Napoleon is much better, for starters I have more fun in Napoleon´s battles than in ETW( they are bloodier and more difficult). Cannons are damn dangerous and hit your troops most of the time let alone if your general passes by (The cpu looks for your general). The encouraging from the general is cool and the optimization of the game is better too than ETW so i would say "its worth it". I´m having a blast with it.
    cannons suck agains infantry... but are annihilating vs cav... howitzer pretty much destroy everything, esspecially those unicorns!

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    cannons suck agains infantry... but are annihilating vs cav... howitzer pretty much destroy everything, esspecially those unicorns!
    Oh, I wouldn't say they are too bad against infantry. They are better than they were and it will force a defender to advance against the guns.

The canister is working better too. All in all arty is more deadly in this than it was in ETW.

edit: but if you just mean ETW, then yes, you are right.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 03-15-2010 at 17:52.

Mark Twain

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    I do seem to have a memory of you using howitzers against some blocks of infantry...in this room. On the computer right next to where I am sitting.

Amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

heheh i failed miserably playing etw for the first time... it was huge... im still considering buying it, but it is nowhere to be found in the stores, way too expensive on amazon and steam... so thats lame.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Oh, I wouldn't say they are too bad against infantry. They are better than they were and it will force a defender to advance against the guns.

The canister is working better too. All in all arty is more deadly in this than it was in ETW.

edit: but if you just mean ETW, then yes, you are right.
    well they are annoying because the target your general. so thats why i always take them out. and if they have howitzers they are annoying too but also dangerous so i have to take them out. cannon using grapeshots are letal vs infantry (also cav btw). they rip them to pieces. pretty much the only thing cannon isnt very good against is cannon. (and hussars, but you are a fool if you dont protect your cannon)

We do not sow.