Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overwatch Hotel [Concluded]

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Overwatch Hotel [Concluded]

Welcome to overwatch hotel, a game of disturbing imagery and paranoia. A game for the true survivalist.

Info
    Overwatch hotel is a simple and fast moving role-playing game. It just takes a few minutes of your time every 2 or 3 days. It should be more like a interactive story thanks to the sizable contributions of both Secura and spL1tp3r50naL1ty.

The rules
    Characters
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You are an average person in every way imaginable. You can build on this every way you like as long as it's believable (no rambo's, secret agents or robots from the future sent back into the past to ...). Roleplaying your chracter is incouraged. it gives fuel for the narators (Secura and Split) and it elevates this game to something more then mechanics and tactics).
    In addition you can distribute 2 points in total on the following attributes:
    - physique
    - intelligence
    - will to survive.
    These will naturally influence ingame actions. Extra point(s) in physique will make you stand a bigger chance when battling whatever you might encounter and will help a bit when escape said dangers. Extra point(s) in intelligence will make you stand a bigger chance when escaping whatever you might encounter and will help a bit to find the exit of this nightmare. Extra point(s) in will to survive will make you stand a bigger chance to find the exit and will help a bit in combat.

Gameplay
    Every turn starts and ends with the whole (surviving) group together. So remember, this is a group effort (or at least I hope it for your sakes)
    At that time, players can state their action:
    - Look for the way out
    - Search the building for clues
    - look for trouble
    Look for the way out: you’ll get a chance to get closer to the exit. You’ll need your will to survive and your intellect. If unsuccessful, you’ll end up further inside the building. When searching for clues, you’ll get a chance to find helpful information about the situation you’re in. These clues can be anything and anywhere. You’ll need your Intellect and your Physical attributes. If you’re successful, you’ll be in a better situation in encounters or when looking for the exit. If you decide to look for trouble, you be almost certain to have a confrontation. You’ll be able to take a helpful item (decided by the narators) with you before the confrontation. If you manage to fight off ‘whateverisoutthere’ then the chance of an encounter in the next round will be significantly less for everybody.

You can choose to go with whoever is doing the same. The member with the highest ability counts for that group. Every extra member will add a diminishing bonus to the result of the action (small groups = more actions, bigger groups better chance at success). If you don’t specify further, it’ll be assumed you stayed with the group you were in. Only one group will get an encounter, so many small groups means safety for most possibly at the cost of others while one big group may spell disaster for all.

As said before, after every turn the players regroup again for the next round. Some info is public other private. You can share all the info you got but remember that you may want to keep some info to yourself. It's rarely the trusting good guys that survive in these situations.

Players
    1. atheotes
    2. Beefy187
    3. Seon
    4. johnhughthom
    5. slashandburn
    6. Winston Hughes
    7. Yaropolk
    8. Stildawn
    9. Centurion1
    10. Methos
    11. Beskar
    12. Joooray
    13. Reenk Roink?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story so far
    Prologue: in which a strange but alluring invitations finds you.

You gingerly fold the gold leaf-lined note back into your pocket, and peer around the lobby once more; scarlet-hued carpets, jet-black leather upholstery and elegant mahogany woodwork tell you that you are in a world of luxury.

You were slightly surprised at being invited to such a prestigious establishment, and the sense of wonder didn't wear off as the taxi ferried you to the airport or train station, nor did it abate as you arrived outside an ornate, marble-lined entrance.

The reception desk was curiously empty, although a brief note explained your stay in further detail, specifically the means of ordering services from the hotel and not to enter the Royal Suite on the top floor; sat next to the note was a pile of brass room keys, each assigned to one of the group.

Sleepy from the travel and overwhelmed by the momentous occasion, you trudge to your room with luggage in tow, before collapsing into a deep sleep.

Chapter 1: in which the guests gather in the ballroom; some unfortunate news is announced; and the first decisions must be made.

The guests congregated in the grand ballroom at the center of the hotel. A polite note, not unlike the hotel invitation, on the pillow of their beds requested them to join the others in the grand ballroom for further explanations. There were even directions on the flipside.

The atmosphere among the guests was somewhat uncomfortable. All but the most outgoing personalities would consider braking the ice in such a group of opposites, all with there own secrets and questions.
    The hotel itself wasn't exactly soothing either. The eclectic decorations and strangely placed lights and chandeliers made ominous, ever-changing shadows. Some may even have noticed something irking at the edge of their vision, ever illusive when you try to focus on it.

Then there was the personnel. Overwatch didn't seem to have any except for the maître d’ who greeted every new arrival in the lobby. Sure, you caught glimpses of bell boys and what probably was the maid on your way to your room but these images were already fleeting like they were never real in the first place.

The silence was abruptly broken by the nasal voice of the maître d’: “In name of the staff of hotel Overwatch, I welcome you to our lovely establishment. I'm afraid I have some bad news. It would appear that the person who made the reservations gathered you all here for a specific reason. I'm not aware of all the details but it seems he wants to play a little game with you. Your benefactor, for lack of a better word, also stressed that he doesn't necessarily expect everyone to survive this game.
    Well, I bid you all a pleasant evening. You can eat as much of the buffet as you like.

His grave expression didn't alter once during his short speech.

Chapter 2: in which more guests are present then earlier anticipated.
    The key to a good bourbon is in the serving; always at room temperature, preferably two fluid ounces or so in a snifter and definitely accompanied by some fine tobacco. That was one of the rules that Jack Churchill lived by, and he was indignant at the offence that the bartender had just committed.

"It is against the hotel's policy to smoke in the ballroom, sir", he had whispered as he watched the wizened soldier fumbling with a box of matches to light his pipe, "you cannot light that in here".

"Are you joking, Lloyd?", Jack shouted in response, slamming his hands down on the bar, matches flying everywhere and his bourbon splashing over the woodwork. He was not pleased at all; a free luxury trip and he wasn't even allowed to smoke?

Around the ballroom, pairs of eyes looked up from food, drinks and magazines to focus on Mad Jack; at the end of the bar, Bob called over "listen buddy, the last thing anyone wants on a vacation is arguing". He turned back to his cold pint and hoped that would be the end of it.

Jack motioned for a response, but his voice was drowned out by a loud chime; eyes turned once more towards the organ at the end of the bar, a single finger outstretched and pressing down upon an ivory key. Joseph Winterbottom grinned sheepishly, and mumbled an apology to his fellow guests, his friend Mr. Athington looking at him with a look that could well have killed.

The ornate pipes of the organ chimed again, and the entire room's gaze fixed upon Joseph once more; Thomas threw a treacle tart from across the room and narrowly missed him, his expletive-laden sentence silenced as the organ began to play an upbeat, jazzy number to the surprise of the entire room.

Listen to this:

It was as if the room had sprung to life and in mere seconds, figures appeared out of nowhere; men dressed in the most dapper of dinner tuxedos, women robed in elegant spring-hued chiffon gowns and dozens of hotel staff meandering around with aparatifs and cocktails aplenty. They all seemed so very real, and yet they couldn't be... could they?

Sara shuffled in her seat as a young couple sat next to her, seemingly oblivious that she was there; the pair canoodled with one another, whispering sweet nothings about eloping and parenting. Feeling uncomfortable, Sara gathered her things and moved to sit at Dr. Weston's table. The good doctor was staring at the most beautiful woman in the room, clad in a lilac, off-the-shoulder number with a scarlet mass of hair that made her look like a movie star; his cigarette hung limply from his agape mouth, ashes dripping onto his open magazine.

At the bar, a young gentleman sat between Bob and Thomas, completely ignoring the pair, and called the bartender over. Lloyd and the man spoke briefly about the correct way to drink bourbon, and then the man left, glass-in-hand.

Everything seemed so very, very real... and yet it couldn't be, could it?

In that moment, the figures vanished as quickly as they had appeared, and the guests were left baffled by what had just occured.
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 04-22-2010 at 20:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Default Re: Overwatch hotel

I'm in

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

looks around dark hotel for crazy janitor/writer guy

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    looks around dark hotel for crazy janitor/writer guy
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

No, I was looking for a madman, not Beefy. Silly girl.

and thanks for the reservation and notification
    Last edited by atheotes; 03-15-2010 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    No, I was looking for a madman, not Beefy. Silly girl.
    I'm the crazy writer! Or one of them... :<

Unfortunately, Jack couldn't make it. He's tending to the garden's maze... we had some snow problems over winter.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

I know what you meant, only messing.

The Legislator of Lol Member Stildawn's Avatar

In In IN IN

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

in....

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't remember joining this
    But I'll take it as a invitation. In

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'll play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I'm in.

Equicidal Maniac Member slashandburn's Avatar

Yay keyboard problem fixed also im in. runs to the nearest source of weaponry
    Parla più piano e nessuno sentirà, il nostro amore lo viviamo io e te,
    nessuno sa la verità, neppure il cielo che ci guarda da lassù.
    Insieme a te io resterò,
    amore mio, sempre così.
    Parla più piano e vieni più vicino a me, Voglio sentire gli occhi miei dentro di te,
    nessuno sa la verità, è un grande amore e mai più grande esisterà.
    Insieme a te io resterò,
    amore mio, sempre così.
    Parla più piano e vieni più vicino a me,Voglio sentire gli occhi miei dentro di te,
    nessuno sa la verità,è un grande amore e mai più grande esisterà.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Muahahahahahahahaahahahaha!

Let's be havin' more signups! :P

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The "posts per person" thing says Beefy only posted once... but I can clearly see he posted three times. And changed his avatar.

Oh noes, curtain rage! :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    The "posts per person" thing says Beefy only posted once... but I can clearly see he posted three times. And changed his avatar.
    I'm not following you.
    this thread was first posted in the gamerooms subtforum. I simply PMed the interested Orgahs and apparently everybody signed in.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

It's a joke... I used the emote which is Beefy's thing, and because I did Double A joked that Beefy had changed avatar and posted more than the Post Log said.

Apparantly nobody can except Beefy... it is not permitted. :P

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(the smiley to Beefy is like the smiley is to Reenk)

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes its the only way I can express my self except for the steak references
    Secura can have this one

Although Secura can be my disciple too. In that case she may use my curtain all she wants.
    Last edited by Beefy187; 03-18-2010 at 01:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I can't join this game please take me off the list. I don't have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Yes its the only way I can express my self except for the steak references
    Secura can have this one

Although Secura can be my disciple too. In that case she may use my curtain all she wants.
    I would ask if I could be your disciple, but I already have my own smiley.

Blog Entries

Sure I'll be in to willingly sign my soul away to forces incomprehensible. What could go wrong with that?

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

lol cebturion1.

heehee.

2 cute to execute Member Joooray's Avatar

Alright, if it really won't take much time to participate, I'll join. After all it sounds like fun and it seems you are still lacking players.

Supreme Victory, The Shadow Fort
    © Crazed Rabbit

Blog Entries

This thread has been open for quite some time. I doubt there will be anymore interest. Let me organise a little bit and then the game can start shortly.

Blog Entries

Dibs on the lightsaber!

Blog Entries

Dibs on Overwatch Standard-Issue Pulse Rifle

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast