Thread: Some newbie questions.

Default Some newbie questions.

I own a Shogun:Warlords Edition. Is there any way to remove units? I don´t like the Kensai f.e. - these giants feel unhistorical and don´t appeal to my taste. I have read they have only be introduced in the MI-expansion.

So a second question is what other units have been added by introducing the Mongol-expansion? And have these additional units made the battles worser or unbalanced?

Default Re: Some newbie questions.

hello pikenier,
    the units added are the kensai, the naginata cavalry, the battlefield ninja and the mongol units. A building was also added, useless for all purposes; the drill dojo.

You can only alter the combat stats in MI and nothing more iirc - however you can make your own campaigns (via modding).

The new units oare quite unbalanced, the naginata cavalry makes the heavy cavalry obsolete, the kensai gets valor too quickly and turns into an unroutable jedai unit, and the battlefield ninja also turn into jedais due to the high stats and small size and also have billions of high lethality missiles.

You can change these by altering the stats i link here:
    Link:https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...old-unit-stats...

Alternatively you can buy the original STW game and patch it to version 1.12 that has none of these.

PS if you have MTW/VI you can play Samurai Warlords that mods MTW to STW https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forum...murai-Warlords

It has more clans, original STW balance and skins (the Naginata unit in MI has a despicable skin that is an immitation of the Yari Sam. skin but the original one was as in the unit icon), and all the benefits of the MTW engine (princesses trade ships). MTW is very moddable and so you can take out the Kensai in that mod if so you wish.
    Last edited by caravel; 06-29-2010 at 13:41. Reason: fixed link
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

It will be difficult to get original Shogun anywhere nowadays. ;)

So the best solution is changing the stats. But your link is dead !?

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Yes Shogun Total War can still be bought on Amazon for dirt cheap. The main issue is that some people make no effort to look for it and try to perpetuate the myth that it's unobtainable.

//edit

What are the building dependencies for Kensai again?

Undesirables like, the Geisha House, Battlefield Ninja Dojo and Drill Dojo can be partially removed from the game by modifying the building_choice.txt file, but this won't stop Kensai or Naginta Cavalry. Using this method the AI won't build those buildings, but you will have to apply some discipline and not build them also.

In essence, if you want the pure game at it's best you will have to get STW v1.12.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-22-2010 at 11:06.

I think its Legendary Sword Dojo and Legendary Swordsmith(?) iirc.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    PS if you have MTW/VI you can play Samurai Warlords that mods MTW to STW https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forum...murai-Warlords

It has more clans, original STW balance and skins (the Naginata unit in MI has a despicable skin that is an immitation of the Yari Sam. skin but the original one was as in the unit icon), and all the benefits of the MTW engine (princesses trade ships). MTW is very moddable and so you can take out the Kensai in that mod if so you wish.
    Hello, I have been back to playing the original Shogun lately. I just beat the campaigns on expert and won with each clan. Ususally with my orginial starting Daimyo, in about 20 years average. I find the AI clans slow to build quailty armies of elite troops and not very agressive either, the AI just makes a bunch of stacks of samurai archers and yari ashigaru for me to annihilate.

Reading the campaign stories I see that the Shogun campaigns are moded with one starting province for each clan, altered building and unit cost, and other modifications that would make the game a lot more challenging.

I am interested in moding Shogun, but since I only have the original is this even possible?(I checked out some mods and most said they were for Shogun Warlords) Or am I better off moding my MTW/VI into Shougun Warlords , plus having the advantage of the MTW engine for better quailty battles?
    Any opinions or advice on the best route to take for making more challenging campaigns for Shogun would be appreciated.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Greetings Eladimari

I believe most of the campaign stories here are played use the Mongol Invasion expansion or Warlord Edition which offers the choice of slightly different campaigns. Basically you can start at an earlier date with less territory or start later when everyone has advanced technology.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Sounds like I'm misssing out by only having the original Shogun. I will have to buy the game with the expansions sometime. Thanks for the reply.

Hi there, I've been madly trying to find out if I could add more names for STW, since There where a lot of famous generals for all the faction left out. I was hoping to mod some of the text files, yet I'm not good at modding. I already tried to mod it, but I couldn't find a version of a desc_name.txt file. So if anyone knows how I can add more names to the game, would you please let me know?
    Thanks.

Hello LiquidSantanero,

Unlike Medieval, Rome and Medieval 2, Shogun is not very modifiable. The only real changes you can make are to unit stats and projectile stats.