Thread: A guide to making your EB look better

Lightbulb A guide to making your EB look better

A guide to making your EB look better

As all of you know RTW is quite an old game by the video game standards. It was released back in 2004 – almost 6 years ago. Even though it was revolutionary by the standards of the day, nowadays many people have machines which can squeeze the engine to its limits. EB did a great work on improving the visual aspect of RTW, but it’s still based on the same engine and I am one of those many people who can run EB on max settings. However it is possible to achieve even more. This guide will let you customize your EB to your liking (and your machine capacity). For the stronger machine owners this will let you push your EB further than the max setting you already have. So let’s start!

First let’s take a look how unmodified EB looks on max settings:

Notice these extremely ugly green triangles underneath your troops? Completely ruins the beauty of these Agrarians. The other thing that you can notice is the Macedon banner in the distance. Some people prefer to have those, but I don’t. Mainly because they look unrealistic and they move up and down when you select the unit. The other annoying thing is sparkles on your units when they gain experience. You can’t see them in the screenshot above, but I find them too arcade so they are gone from my EB too. So let’s get rid of these three things first.

Most of you probably already know how to get rid of these things, so you can simply skip this step. For those who don’t – follow me.
    1. Open your preferences folder which is located C://place where you have your RTW installed/EB/preferences
    2. Look for the file named “preferences” and open it with notepad
    3. Find these lines and make appropriate changes:
    SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE change to FALSE and you will get rid of the banners
    UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT:TRUE change to FALSE and sparkling stars are gone
    DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE change this to TRUE and the ugly green triangles are no more.

Looks much better, doesn’t it? Ok let’s move on to the more interesting stuff. The above image is probably what you know as EB on max settings, however now we are going to push the limits.

The following steps apply to Nvidia graphic card users, but ATI users should be able to find similar options available to them as well. So let’s start!

1. Open you graphic card settings window. (Now I don’t know where yours is as it depends on graphics card and operating system. I have Nvidia card and use Windows Vista, so if you have the same follow these steps, if not they might help you to figure out how to open your own settings):
    • Press right mouse button on your desktop and choose Personalize

• Select Display settings

• In the window that opened select Advanced Settings

• Now it should show your card, so select the tab with your cards name on it

• You are given the option to Start the NVIDIA Control Panel, choose it

• Here you go! You can close the rest of the windows now.

2. In your graphic card setting window choose Manage 3D settings
    3. Choose the tab with Program settings
    4. This will give you the list of programs installed on your machine, find Rome – Total War
    5. Now we are going to change some settings here:
    • Set Anisotropic filtering to 16x

• Set Antialiasing – Gamma correction to On

• Set Antialiasing – Mode to Enhance the application setting

• Set Antialiasing – Setting to 16xQ

• Set Antialiasing – Transparency to Multisampling

• Set Comformant texture damp to Use hardware

• Set Texture filtering – Anisotropic sample optimization to On

• Set Texture filtering – Trilinear optimization to Off

• Leave the rest of the settings on Use global setting

• (Optional) Set the same settings for Alex.exe and BI.exe if you have them installed

6. Apply the changes and close the window

You should see a change in quality now. This might affect your fps, but it didn’t affect mine (at least not noticeably), so you should be fine. So let’s take a look how EB looks now:

The changes might not be very obvious from a screenshot, but if you look carefully you’ll see that unit details are much better now. Here is a direct comparison:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Before:

After:

In-game it is much clearer: just look at the engravements on the armor and details on the shields and you’ll see the difference.

However this is not it. I personally think that RTW looks a bit pale and lacks contrast and some darkness. However there is a way around this. Follow me:

1. Download this free tiny program from here: http://wareseeker.com/free-gapa/ and install it
    2. Open it and adjust the settings to your taste. For EB I use:
    • 0,90 Gamma

• -3% Brightness

• 1,10 Contrast

3. Save the color profile and assign it a hotkey. Also set the hotkey to return to normal settings.
    4. Now every time before you play EB, launch this little program, press the hotkey you assigned for the adjusted settings and start EB.

Here is the brand new looking EB!

Direct comparison:
    Vanilla max:

Max with graphic card setting changes:

Max with above changes and gamma changes:

Optional changes

There are some other things I have changed for my EB, but they are completely optional as they will depend on your taste and machine capabilities.

1. Grass distance.

I hate when the grass simply disappears a few meters in front of the unit. So if you want to see more grass change this in your preferences:

GRASS_DISTANCE:75 to a higher number. I use 500 as it covers about half of the battlefield. You can of course use higher or lower number, just test what you like and can run. Warning: this will be a great hit on your fps, so you need a strong machine to enjoy the full grass.

Here is a comparison:

2. City labels

Second optional change is for the campaign map. I like it when the settlement names and all the income, recruiting, etc. info is not visible. Here is how it looks:

So if you want the same effect, change this line in your preferences:
    LABEL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE change it to FALSE.

3. Event scenes

The third change is quite a minor one. I don’t like the even scenes – when general dies, gates are taken, etc. so I disabled them. If you want them gone too, go to preferences and change:
    EVENT_CUTSCENES:TRUE to FALSE.

That is it! Hope you find this guide useful and enjoy an even more beautiful EB than before!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A guide to making your EB look better

Your first set of maxing changes is excellent , but your city labels and event scenes change will made most who like to roleplay (especially the important label-where should we build or train), and the cutscenes is important because EB doesn't have the backsound... "The enemy general is flee like a frightened goat!!! Hunt him... goat makes good eating!!!" or "The roman leader is fallen! made sure his corpses won't poison the carrion birds!"... and sometimes, when your own is dead, you'll have annoying breakdown, especially when you turn the banner off...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Thank you for the tipps. I just saw, that in the preferences file you find this:

EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES:FALSE

If I change it to "true" i can edit the settlement names? how does it work?
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Thank you for the tipps. I just saw, that in the preferences file you find this:

That will be available on BI engines only I think.... but that way will also screw the EBBS, because naming of the cities are included in determining homeland, troop control, and much more scripts...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, if you set it to TRUE then you can change settlement names.
    Just open settlement information and click on the settlement name and that's all.
    But you shouldn't change the names of settlements because this might screw up your game 'cause EB script uses those names as well.

Edit: Cute Wolf - It's possible with RTW engine as well if you enter EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES:FALSE line to prefrences text file.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 03-21-2010 at 19:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Your first set of maxing changes is excellent , but your city labels and event scenes change will made most who like to roleplay (especially the important label-where should we build or train), and the cutscenes is important because EB doesn't have the backsound... "The enemy general is flee like a frightened goat!!! Hunt him... goat makes good eating!!!" or "The roman leader is fallen! made sure his corpses won't poison the carrion birds!"... and sometimes, when your own is dead, you'll have annoying breakdown, especially when you turn the banner off...
    hahahaha oh how i miss vanilla rome now xD

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Thank you! As for the optional changes - that's why they are called optional These are just to suit my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post

You can change this so that you can edit your settlement names, but as others already said - this will screw up the script and thus your game, unless you already own the map and want to name all the cities after yourself

Press the 'J' key to remove the flags on the settlements as those are utterly unappealing.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

This thread is good enough to be worth a sticky IMO, but it should be in the Technical Help forum.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 03-24-2010 at 13:06.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

I did not know about the settlement names thing! Top gun there, mate! However, did you forget about minimal UI? I find that makes a much bigger improvement in my eyes than even the removal of the bumping flags or green arrows could compete with. The default is just too big and in the way, and only serves to distract me now that I've grown used to the minimal version.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 03-25-2010 at 23:34.

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    I did not know about the settlement names thing! Top gun there, mate! However, did you forget about minimal UI? I find that makes a much bigger improvement in my eyes than even the removal of the bumping flags or green arrows could compete with. The default is just too big and in the way, and only serves to distract me now that I've grown used to the minimal version.
    Thanks! Yeah i completely forgot about the minimal UI. I personally am so used to the usual interface that didn't even think about it. I guess it's like everywhere - very hard to change habits, even if the new ones are better/more effective/etc. I'll update my guide and include minimal UI once I have some more free time. Thanks for a reminder!

I think it's awesome you posted this :D But is it just me or does EB look incredibly dark already? I'd rather make it lighter... Also, I can't change the trilinear optimization (it's unselectable), am I missing out on something?
    Last edited by Famine0; 03-28-2010 at 12:52.

Question Re: A guide to making your EB look better

Is there a way to remove those sandy circles around settlements?
    I'm sure I've seen it done before but I can't find the thread
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I'd also be interested in removing those circles. Really ugly, especially around barbarian settlements.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Grrr I've just noticed they're HUGE around forts!
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Can anybody make a guide for ATI users please :)?

Quote Originally Posted by Skoran View Post
    Can anybody make a guide for ATI users please :)?
    Just open up Catalyst Control Center, use advanced menu not basic, and set everything to the highest. Make sure to have the A/C on cause your comp and vid card may explode.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)