Poll: Who is y our favorite faction?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Who's your favorite faction?

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Default Who's your favorite faction?

Sorry for the generic thread, but there's not much going on in the NTW section here, so I don't think it'd hurt Besides, this sort of post is inevitable, and I want the prestige points for being the first, like building the first 1st Rate in ETW.

Well, for me, it's France. Being a little of a Francophile in this period and an admirer of Napoleon, it's only natural. They have the best looking "regular" uniforms; Fusiliers of Line look like something from a ETW unit pack DLC while everyone else's main line units look pretty average (not from CA laziness, from what I can tell that's the way it was). They have the best unit in the entire game in the Old Guard, their guard artillery units are super accurate, they have AWESOME cavalry. I wish they had riflemen but they make up for it in other areas. Then there's Napoleon himself, as well as all his Marshals who I actually recognize, unlike most of the generals in the other factions who aren't the top ones.

When they first announced Empire and before I knew that it was going to stop at 1799, I instantly thought "Holy ****, I get to play as Napoleon in a TW game!" But NOOO Well now that I finally can, it's awesome.
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-23-2010 at 20:25.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Who's your favorite faction?

I usually enjoy playing with an underdog faction but in the game so far I have to go with France as well.

They face 3 to 5 major factions and have to go from Strasbourg to Moscow.

Napoleon and his marshals are grand. Despite watching them all fall to the assassins blade it makes for a good game.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

I play almost exclusively with Sweden for some unknown reason.

I am not Swedish

Probably because of their Mounted Jagers, who can fire from horseback like Empire Dragoons.

They can take regular Infantry of equal or even greater cost value, if there is room enough to out maneuver them, that is.

Edit: I'm truly sorry, this was a Single Player Poll, and I am stricktly Multiplayer
    Last edited by Tomisama; 03-24-2010 at 01:47.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

No worries Tomi, it wasn;t specified ;)
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    Edit: I'm truly sorry, this was a Single Player Poll, and I am stricktly Multiplayer
    That's fine. Just in case you didn't know though, you can unlock Sweden for SP via mod.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Although I always favored the English in Empire and both Medieval games, with NapoleonTW, I also voted for the French---for most of the same reasons as already stated by others.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Bavaria. Best uniforms (Russia is close, though), Fun starting position.

Their unit variety is nothing special, but they certainly look the most impressive on the field.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

I dont play much any more so excuse my silly question:
    Can i play other factions than France and the coalition? You guys are talking about Bavaria and Sweden through mods. Please tell me. I´d love to play Spain, Italy, Ottoman, Sweden etc in Napoleon. I have finished all N´s campaigns and was victorious at Waterloo but i cant play any others so how do I do it? Thanks in advance :)

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

There are several mods that unlock all factions in all the campaigns, even the emerging factions are playable, so anyone in the game is a go, if you want to mod it.

Just check at TWC in the NTW Released Mods Forum...there were 7 pages last time I looked.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Are mods hard to uninstall? The only reason I ask is because I've heard that ETW can crash if you have an older mod installed that doesn't work with a new patch.
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    Are mods hard to uninstall? The only reason I ask is because I've heard that ETW can crash if you have an older mod installed that doesn't work with a new patch.
    The newest faction unlocker on TWC has its own executable launcher. Check it out.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    There are several mods that unlock all factions in all the campaigns, even the emerging factions are playable, so anyone in the game is a go, if you want to mod it.

Just check at TWC in the NTW Released Mods Forum...there were 7 pages last time I looked.
    While this is true, not many are really worth playing due to their rosters. Most of them only have a few units, but a handful have expanded rosters.

Those are: Bavaria, Spain, Sweden, Hessen, Kingdom of Italy, and the Ottomans.

Just something to consider for anyone who wants to try the unlocker mods. I'm sure expansion mods will come a long for a lot of the skimpy factions in the future.

That isn't entirely true. The only factions that have special rosters are the ones that are playable in Multiplayer. Some minor factions have unique uniforms, however, such as Bavaria and Poland.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

What unlocker mod is the best then?

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    That isn't entirely true. The only factions that have special rosters are the ones that are playable in Multiplayer. Some minor factions have unique uniforms, however, such as Bavaria and Poland.
    Well most of the units in the factions I mentioned use generic stats that are shared by most of the minor factions, that's true. But several of them simply have more units than others. Almost all of the minor factions lack guards, most lack light infantry and heavy cav, basic essentials for a balanced army. The one's I listed are ones that have most of the bases covered as opposed to the extremely skimpy factions, even though the unit stats are generic.

And then there's the Kingdom of Italy, which has 4 completely unique units: Velite Grenadiers, Guards of Honour heavy cavalry, Guard Foot Artillery, and Guard Horse Artillery.

France then Prussia then England.

France has great units and plenty of enemies. Prussia is just fun because of its position and it's light infantry. England is also fun because of its position and because of the Navy.

Austria is crippled with the Hungarian recruiting drag and Russia is just too far away =P.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Well most of the units in the factions I mentioned use generic stats that are shared by most of the minor factions, that's true. But several of them simply have more units than others. Almost all of the minor factions lack guards, most lack light infantry and heavy cav, basic essentials for a balanced army. The one's I listed are ones that have most of the bases covered as opposed to the extremely skimpy factions, even though the unit stats are generic.

And then there's the Kingdom of Italy, which has 4 completely unique units: Velite Grenadiers, Guards of Honour heavy cavalry, Guard Foot Artillery, and Guard Horse Artillery.
    How does Guard Artillery work? Better at melee, or better at shooting? Sounds fun, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    How does Guard Artillery work? Better at melee, or better at shooting? Sounds fun, either way.
    Extra accurate, better reload, inspires nearby units, better morale.

Like for the Guard Foot Arty, it's a 12 lber, so compared to the regular 12 lber

Guard arty
    Accuracy 55
    Reloading Skill 50
    Morale 5

Regular 12 lber
    Accuracy 35
    Reloading Skill 30
    Morale 3

http://totalwar.honga.net/napoleon_f...=italy_kingdom

Smile Re: Who's your favorite faction?

france is my favorite, bien sûr

SWEDEN is my favorite but its only good with AUM Mod.......and for the love of god use the mod online folks add some depth to this lackluster game.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    That's fine. Just in case you didn't know though, you can unlock Sweden for SP via mod.
    what is that mod?i want to play as Portugal,coz i fight with stacks of militia(of coz with general leading them,so their morale can last!),and Portugal militia got 35 accuracy and 25 loading skills (same as england's fencibles),but with very cheap upkeep!!
    In all warfare,speed is the key!